PDA

View Full Version : IDW TMNT Audio Comic Auditions

Desslok
05-14-2015, 04:47 PM
Nnjrn6r-U48

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know about my new project in case anyone here is interested in helping out. If you'd like to audition visit BTVA (http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/members/YamatoGuru/casting-call/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-IDW-Comic-Series/).

Here's a brief introduction:

"Greetings, auditioners! I am here to inform you of a project I have been building to for many months, an audio comic of IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic series. The audio comic will be featured on YouTube and will be comprised of voice over artists (you guys and gals) portraying the characters as visuals from the books are shown onscreen. I plan on doing the first 50 issues and relevant micros that support the story arc leading to #50. If it does well and the cast is willing we may do more, we'll see what happens.

I've put a LOT of hours into this project already cataloguing character appearances and preparing the necessary script files for talent, so I want you to know that I take this project seriously. I'd also like you to know that I need actors who will also take this seriously. I'm telling you upfront that this is a huge project with potentially a lot of recording. That said I am making plans to make the process run smooth and easy. Since this project is so huge communication is going to be key and I want everyone involved to really feel a part of it, so if cast you'll be invited to a forum dedicated solely to the project where I will post necessary resources and the cast can ask questions and get to know everyone else. You'll also have immediate access to just about all of the scripts so you can start recording right out of the gate. The ability to download large files (about 2.5 gbs total) is also necessary.

There will be other minor characters that do not appear in this audition, so even if you are not cast as one of these characters I may offer you another if I like your voice. Cast members joining the project forum will get first dibs on other uncast characters.

Also, I haven't decided if this will have music or not. Having someone to score it would be a major coup, but that person would have to be a mega fan who feels as passionately about this as I do because again, it's a lot of work just because we love this series. I'll leave a space at the bottom for music auditions if anyone is interested.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I am really looking forward to hearing these auditions and I hope you look forward to auditioning."

Audition deadline is July 24.

Jephael
05-14-2015, 04:51 PM
I'm totally down for playing Michelangelo or Donatello!!!

Desslok
05-14-2015, 04:52 PM
If you're interested be sure to audition on BTVA (http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/members/YamatoGuru/casting-call/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-IDW-Comic-Series/). I look forward to hearing it. :D

PangolinFeets
05-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Sounds like a cool project! I've seen the voice-motion someone did for the IDW origin story and that was cool. I can't wait to see this.

Powder
05-14-2015, 06:20 PM
I'd be curious to hear your Krang & Rat King before contributing my own stuff.

TigerClaw
05-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Cool, Is it gonna be like a motion comic type of thing?

Someone did a audio comic of the Future Shark Trilogy, a couple of years ago, Though I think it was all one voice.

TKQuUwAEquM

Jester
05-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Cool, Is it gonna be like a motion comic type of thing?

Someone did a audio comic of the Future Shark Trilogy, a couple of years ago, Though I think it was all one voice.

TKQuUwAEquM

Yeah...what a loser!

Wait.....

THIS took forever:
d8t5Lyn1mgg

B-Man
05-14-2015, 07:26 PM
I really liked your Leo voice, Jester. Good enough to be on the Nick show.

Jephael
05-14-2015, 07:35 PM
I think I'm more jazzed about browsing this new site than auditioning. Speaking of which, I just sent in my audio for Rocksteady and Pigeon Pete. I was gonna try out for Slash, but I didn't like how I sounded.

oldmanwinters
05-14-2015, 07:39 PM
Wait.....

THIS took forever:

Drome co-op projects, man...

Powder
05-14-2015, 07:56 PM
The guy who auditioned for Donnie sounds pretty good.

Jester
05-14-2015, 08:06 PM
The guy who auditioned for Donnie sounds pretty good.

I especially like the 3rd line. The Buffy style read of that line is great!

Desslok
05-14-2015, 10:24 PM
It's awesome to see so much enthusiasm for this project already. It's people like my fellow dromers that I'm making this for so that's very encouraging.

@Powder
No problem, here's a link (https://soundcloud.com/yamatoguru/sets/krang-and-rat-king-demos) to my rough demos for both of them. Krang is something of an original take with slight hints of Pat Fraley thrown in for fun. I'm playing Rat King as a sort of pompous aristocrat with obvious undertones of menace. As if that face needs more menace, lol.

@TigerClaw
Yeah, it will be sort of like that. Since I'm doing so many and handling editing on my own I won't have time to do a lot of fancy animations, but there will be some creative pans and such similar to Jester's video.

@Jester
I've never seen your 'Future Shark' video, that was quite entertaining. I've seen the TMNT #1 vid before and was wondering who animated it? I might be interested in asking them to help me develop the 30 second show intro...

@Jephael
Thanks for kicking off the auditions with style! :twink:

Powder
05-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Needs more "Oomph", man! The voice itself isn't bad but the performance is rather soft, no offense. You sound like you're reading as the character, rather than it being the character speaking off the top, if that makes sense.

Desslok
05-14-2015, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I know. That was just my rough recording, I was sort of feeling it out there. It'll get better the more I do it, that's how it usually goes when I start with new characters. At first I'm thinking the whole time about how I'm doing it as I'm doing it and then as I get more comfortable with the character it will start to sound more natural. I do appreciate the feedback though.

Did you like Rat King?

Powder
05-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Personally I don't think your voice matches Rat King, given his terrifying redesign. I envision him as sounding very throaty, gravely, a bit frail, yet confident. A hint of crypt keeper in a lower register, maybe.

Desslok
05-14-2015, 10:40 PM
I could definitely see him sounding that way as well, he's a very unusual character to say the least.

I know you said you might be interested in auditioning, are there any characters you're specifically considering. I'd love to hear a few samples.

Powder
05-14-2015, 10:42 PM
A very large chunk of them, actually. If I give it a whirl I'll try for Leo, Mikey, Raph, Casey, Splinter, Shredder, Slash, Bebop, Rocksteady, most of the (non-human) male cast, really.
I'd have given Rat King & Krang an attempt as well. I have concerns though, such as overall quality. I mean, you're not gonna pick folks who's mics sound terrible, are you?

Desslok
05-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Not if I can avoid it. I want this thing to be good, I'm a bit more picky than some of the other BTVA folks. I'm putting a LOT of time into this so I don't really want sub-par mic quality ruining months of work.

I hope that just seeing the audition page (the time I took with the descriptions, looking up audition lines, capturing those little photos and editing them all to size) will give you a sense that you can trust I'm not just going to be slapping stuff together haphazardly. If it becomes obvious that I can't get the cast I need the project will probably die. I'd rather drop it than create a Frankenstein if you know what I mean.

But that's why I need good, passionate VO artists to get behind it and help me out. Your concern shows me that you are passionate so I do hope that you will audition.

Powder
05-14-2015, 11:29 PM
Fair enough, man. I'll see about finding the time to do it.

I really don't wanna sound like a jerk or come across like I think I'm better than anyone, but I wouldn't wanna lend my time & efforts to something that isn't totally up to par. Consistency in quality is key. Like you, I'd sooner see an awesome idea (which this is) fall to the wayside than let it be half-assed. I do appreciate your drive for the project, & I can see that you're open minded & take criticism really well, & that makes you seem easy to work with, which is great. Even if I don't get involved, you'll have my support.

Desslok
05-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Nah, I never thought you came across that way. All are valid concerns. You've never worked with me before so I think it's only natural you'd want to find out what you'd be getting yourself into. I appreciate honesty, I wish more people were as upfront. :tthumbsu:

Raph
05-14-2015, 11:41 PM
THIS took forever:
d8t5Lyn1mgg

Yep, but it was cool! I played Splinter/Hamato Yoshi and the baby Turtles!

Jephael
05-15-2015, 03:13 PM
@Jephael
Thanks for kicking off the auditions with style! :twink:

My pleasure!!!

Desslok
05-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Jester, was that you submitting the auditions today? Most of those were really good and I can honestly say that I'm considering you for multiple roles. I would suggest getting a wind screen for future recordings, but besides that your stuff was fantastic.

In other related news, I'm just about done with the "show intro." It's turning out well and hopefully I'll have something to share soon. :tthumbsu:

Jester
05-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Yeah, that was me. I'll have to figure a way to keep from popping Ps and such. Glad you like them. :D

senpai
05-19-2015, 09:16 PM
This looks so cool! I wish I could audition but I'm not living in the best arrangement right now and I know that would get in the way of recording. I have a high-quality mic too. Maybe I might be able to audition for Princess Trib or a minor character like that. Between school and work I wouldn't have a lot of time to record either. Plus the girls auditioning for April sound really good!

Edit: Jester, I heard yours. You ARE Leonardo!

Powder
05-19-2015, 11:24 PM
I just submitted clips for Splinter, Fugitoid, Old Hob, Pete, Slash, Herman, Bebop, Rocksteady, Quanin, & Harold. I did a Shredder but wasn't happy with it. Perhaps I'll try him again tomorrow.

Jester
05-19-2015, 11:31 PM
Having heard your Quanin and Splinter, I'm betting these others will be scary good. Quanin still gives me goosebumps.

senpai
05-20-2015, 07:33 AM
I've never been to this website before. Powder, how can I listen to your submissions? Do they have to be approved first or something? >_< I wanna hear!

Desslok
05-20-2015, 10:26 AM
I never expected so many great auditions so early in the casting process. So many talented people are sending stuff in, it's very exciting indeed!

@Powder - Your auditions were all well done, Powder, thanks for sending those in. Your Pigeon Pete really surprised me when I first listened to it. After hearing all of those other deep and super menacing voices I didn't expect that childlike innocence, lol. Looking forward to what you have in store for Shredder and any others you may try.

@Jester - I just realized that I forgot to comment on your Leo yesterday. I think it's a very good voice. You're definitely a contender for that one.

@Senpai - All of the newest auditions should be public for listening now. If you do get a chance to record for Trib I'd love it hear it, and you're right, if you have limited recording time she's probably the best one to try for.

Oh and I almost forgot, I've been in contact with one of my production partners and I can now officially announce that the IDW TMNT motion comic series will be hosted on our StarForce Media (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgZUFZiZAi7LIOAEg_rg7RA) YouTube channel. More exciting announcements to come, stay tuned!

senpai
05-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Powderrrrr! Your range is incredible! I love your Bebop and Fugitoid the best. You do a fine job mimicking a robotic stammer.

Jester, you too. Love the Rocksteady. If I was casting you and Powder would be the deadly duo!

Desslok, I'll also try out for Lindsey and MAYBE Alopex.

Ninturtle
05-20-2015, 03:29 PM
you'll have my support.

Am I the only one who thought of the line April says before that hated water level in the first NES game.

plastroncafe
05-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Oh yeah, I'm totally going to this this up when I get a spare moment.

Powder
05-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Thanks Jester, Desslok, & Senpai. It was fun to record them. I've done voices my whole life but never really put them to use or made recordings of 'em to share with people.
I kinda wanna make a thread for my TMNT impressions but at the same time it's a bit embarrassing, even if I am confident in my abilities... :trazz:

Ninturtle
05-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Thanks Jester, Desslok, & Senpai. It was fun to record them. I've done voices my whole life but never really put them to use or made recordings of 'em to share with people.
I kinda wanna make a thread for my TMNT impressions but at the same time it's a bit embarrassing, even if I am confident in my abilities... :trazz:

I wouldn't be embarrassed if I were you your voices are great. It's amazing how you can do a voice as deep as the one you did for Slash or as high as the one you did for Pete. I'd say go for it , I'm positive you'll get a really positive response. Heck you already have a really positive response now.

Coola Yagami
05-20-2015, 06:44 PM
I wish you luck. Tried the same thing a few years back and noone really cared to contribute.

B-Man
05-20-2015, 09:39 PM
Yeah Powder, dude, you seriously destroyed in every one of your submissions. Well done.

Desslok
05-22-2015, 09:35 AM
So much excitement and enthusiasm, here's a little thank you from me to all of you: an exclusive sneak peek at the show's opening title sequence!

Nnjrn6r-U48

Jester
06-04-2015, 03:21 AM
"Man, there's some good submissions," he said resurrecting the thread.

Jephael
06-04-2015, 03:00 PM
"Man, there's some good submissions," he said resurrecting the thread.

Haven't checked it out lately, though the ones I've heard thus far were great!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-04-2015, 03:16 PM
I'm auditioning as soon as I get home and get my kid in bed!!!

Desslok
06-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Quick update! Things are still going smoothly on my end, I've started editing early issues into their new video forms and a few have sound effects already. Once casting is complete I'll just have to plug the voices in, make a few minor adjustments and upload to Youtube. I'm hoping that by getting a head start on editing there will never need to be a lull in releases once the series starts rolling.

Casting continues and I'm very excited about the auditions received thus far. This is going to be a great cast. I am still hoping for more auditions though, especially for characters such as Hun, Dask, Karai, Tang Shen, Tragg, April's parents, and a few others. If you're interested in auditioning, there is still plenty of time.

More updates to come!

senpai
06-10-2015, 03:15 PM
I'm very excited about this project. I can't wait to see the first episode. :)

Desslok
07-02-2015, 08:31 AM
Just 3 weeks left until the audition deadline and recording begins! I'm still looking for Hun voices, I haven't had any that have really stood out to me yet. Also poor Dask has had no auditions whatsoever, so if you've been thinking about auditioning that might be a great place to start. Auditions for any characters who only have one or two submitted so far would be appreciated, I like to have options. :tcool:

To encourage more traffic, I have also opened the auditions at the Casting Call Club (http://castingcall.club/projects/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-idw-comic-series). Feel free to submit your recordings to whichever site you prefer. I frequent both so you won't be missed.

I've recently finished work on the project forum that the cast will be invited to join as a sort of hub for this whole thing. The cast is going to be larger than I'm used to working with, so I'm working hard to make the production process run as smoothly as possible. I think it's going to be great.

Editing on episodes also continues, I'm up to issue 9 (including the hero micros that appear in between) and issues up through the Raphael micro have had sound effects put in place. The show is looking great in action, I think you guys will enjoy the added level of excitement that this video format is bringing to the comics and I can't wait to add the voices into the mix.

Thanks again for everyone's continued support, more updates to come!

Leomaru
07-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Great idea, and the auditions are awesome! Can't wait for the final product :tgrin:

Desslok
07-17-2015, 07:35 AM
We are now in the homestretch of the casting process, just 1 week left to get those auditions in! A lot of great talent continues to send recordings in so I may have some difficult decisions ahead of me... Nonetheless, the final cast will be announced next Saturday! :D

For those coming in late you can send in or listen to auditions using the links below:
Behind the Voice Actors (http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/members/YamatoGuru/casting-call/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-IDW-Comic-Series/)
Casting Call Club (http://castingcall.club/projects/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-idw-comic-series)

And here is the sneak peek I released a few months ago (change to an HD setting for best experience):
Nnjrn6r-U48

Thanks again to all of my Technodrome friends who have already sent in their auditions. Because of your familiarity with the characters, yours are among some of my favorites. Good luck, and I look forward to working with you. :twink:

shuriken
07-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Sounds fun. I'll try my hand at these... just need myself a new Mic.

plastroncafe
07-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Here's to hoping I kick this Con Crud to the curb in time...

Desslok
07-25-2015, 12:10 AM
Main casting is now complete! It's been a long process, but a fun one as well. I'm happy to say that the auditions not only met but exceeded my expectations. It was hard to choose some of these, but I think I've got a great cast of voices that will soon be joining the ranks of the great TMNT voice actors. I'm pleased to announce that a few of our fellow dromers will be participating as well. Here's the list as well as where the audition was received:

Leo - Jester BTVA
Raph - CourtneyDL BTVA
Donatello - ejshonk BTVA
Michelangelo - NitroEX BTVA

Splinter - Jon@UnCanny BTVA
Casey - Anime Tailz BTVA
April - TrufflePopElectric BTVA
Fugitoid - Powder BTVA
Angel - Doctor McCrimmon BTVA
Slash - Powder BTVA
Harold - Powder BTVA

Hob - Zillah BTVA
Stockman - CourtneyDL BTVA
Hun - LantzStumpp BTVA
Shredder - RyanWilliams BTVA
Karai - Doctor McCrimmon BTVA
Kitsune - Adoxographist CCC
Bebop - Silverjay BTVA
Rocksteady - Jester BTVA

Alopex - Zerorider BTVA
Tragg - Fairfieldfencer CCC
Granitor - LantzStump BTVA
Koya - Zerorider BTVA
Bludgeon - skeletonking1234 BTVA
Pigeon Pete - TheAgent41 BTVA
Herman - silverjay BTVA
Mondo Gecko - Jester BTVA

Lindsey - Doctor McCrimmon BTVA
Tang Shen - Lnm C CCC
Woody - Alearnedman CCC
Dask - Alearnedman CCC
Kala - Adoxgraphist CCC
Zak - ThatRubiksDude BTVA
Princess Trib - Buckets CCC
King Zenter - Silverjay BTVA
Victor - Jester BTVA
John - beerazors BTVA
Quanin - Powder BTVA

And now the real work begins! Wish us luck as we begin the exciting recording process. The next major announcement will hopefully concern the premiere date...

plastroncafe
07-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Sad auditions closed early, but I'm excited to hear the finished product. Break legs, ladies and gents.

Jester
07-25-2015, 12:32 PM
What are BTVA and CCC? Behind the Voice Actor and ....?

Desslok
07-25-2015, 01:25 PM
The 'Casting Call Club' I linked to earlier in the thread. New cast members don't forget to email and confirm: sfmvoices@inbox.com