PDA

View Full Version : Manga suggestions?

senpai
05-15-2015, 10:44 PM
I won't lie. I'm persnickety when it comes to manga. I used to read a lot of it when I was younger but these days I find it hard to dedicate myself to long ongoing series. Can anyone suggest some relatively short manga titles for me to read? I am open to many genres so long as the story's are good. Here's a list of my favorites to kind of give you a starting point.

-Akira (my favorite manga ever)
-Berserk
-Cage of Eden
-Vinland Saga

I now that's not much but like I said, I don't like that much manga but when I find a series or story that I like I can really appreciate them. I've also been reading a lot of novels and American comics lately so I'm just in the mood for something different.

Some people have recommended titles like Gantz, Claymore, Basilisk, and other dark-themed anime series but I tried all those and couldn't get into it.

Thanks everyone!

Kanon
05-16-2015, 03:16 AM
I read the well known ones like:
Detective Conan,
Dragon Ball,
Fairytail.....
If you have a question about them, maybe I can help :)

At the moment I am pretty hooked on a comedy manga named "Saint Young Men"
Itīs a story about buddha and jesus, who make a vacation in Japan! So funny :lol:

senpai
05-16-2015, 09:19 PM
I read the well known ones like:
Detective Conan,
Dragon Ball,
Fairytail.....
If you have a question about them, maybe I can help :)

At the moment I am pretty hooked on a comedy manga named "Saint Young Men"
Itīs a story about buddha and jesus, who make a vacation in Japan! So funny :lol:

Ah. Aren't those rather long series though? I tried Fairytail when it first came out; didn't like it. I love Dragon Ball but didn't finish it.

TurtleTitan97
05-16-2015, 09:23 PM
Fullmetal Alchemist is pretty great. I'd highly recommend it.

senpai
05-16-2015, 09:31 PM

I read that one too but...I think I got tired of waiting for updates so I stopped reading it. I think I was a few chapters away from completing x.x

Kanon
05-16-2015, 10:48 PM
I read that one too but...I think I got tired of waiting for updates so I stopped reading it. I think I was a few chapters away from completing x.x

Itīs completed now. I have read that too :D

Some other ideas you can google:
- Noragami (itīs about gods, humans and their relationship to their weapons)
- Kuroko no Basuke (Basketball)
- Tokyo Ghoul (Ghouls and their struggle to "eat")
- Ao no exorcist (Satans son wants to become an exorcist)

I donīt know any other stories that are short. Most of the things I read have more than 300 chapters already :ohwell:

Candy Kappa
05-17-2015, 01:08 AM
Ruroni Kenshin, it's a pretty good comic about a former Bakumatsu assassin who lives in the Edo period as a peaceful wandering swordsman.

senpai
05-17-2015, 05:58 PM
I know all about Kenshin <3 Though I've seen most of the anime and don't have a strong desire to read the manga. The movies were great!! Did you see them, CandyK?

Candy Kappa
05-18-2015, 12:39 AM
I fairly enjoyed Trust & Betrayal, some thing was changed, but overall it was good. The Ishin Patriots movie was bland and just felt like a random movie where they slapped the Kenhsin characters in there.

I hate Reflections, do not care for it one bit, and it's non-canon anyway. I haven't seen the whole anime, but I wasn't very impressed by the artstyle, nor how much they eventually deviates completely from the Manga's storyline after the run-in with Shishio. After that, it's just bad fanfiction, and it's really annoying that they stopped without finish it.

I've not seen the Live-Action movies or the New Kyoto arc stuff, but it looks pretty good.

senpai
05-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Yeah, Reflections doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

You MUST watch the live-action. It skips all the filler plots and jumps right into the action. They are so good and the cast is perfect. I love the fight scenes. You should watch it :D

Mew
05-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Not that short, but One Piece is amazing.

Redeemer
05-18-2015, 09:19 PM

A thousand times yes!!!!!!!!!!!!