PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the cartoon would have adapted Volume 4?

CyberCubed
05-22-2015, 03:33 PM
The 2k3 series adapted most of the major Volume 1, 2 and Tales of the TMNT storylines. They skipped over the filler issues and the Image series, and so forth.

Had the FF/BTTS revamp never happened, do you think Volume 4 would have been adapted next? You have to remember Volume 4 was coming out at the same time as the 2k3 series, so back in 2005 Volume 4 only had like 25 issues out or something. They had no idea where it would go.

I wonder.

neatoman
05-22-2015, 03:50 PM
I don't think so. That series still isn't finished (it was even less so in 2006) so you would just run into the typical problem anime adaptations of manga has, trying to adapt a comic so close to the most recent chapter will always result in a very slow pace.

On the other hand though, while I don't know much about volume 4, I do know that a major element is that Turtles can run around freely because aliens run around freely on earth. That sounds an awful lot like Fast Forward, doesn't it? Maybe Fast Forward started development as a volume 4 adaptation?

Powder
05-22-2015, 03:54 PM
I'd have rather seen the Image series get adapted, but we all know there's no way that would have happened.

CyberCubed
05-22-2015, 04:57 PM
The Turtles walking freely among the Earth because aliens landed on the planet was adapted with Fast Forward. So they did use that aspect of Volume 4, but nothing else from the volume.

As for Image, we do get to see Raph wearing Shredder's armor briefly in that dream sequence in "The Darkness Within."

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Volumes 3 and 4 both had GREAT material to mine:

Volume 3:
Cyborg Mercenaries
Oroku Pimiko and her rivalry with Raphael
Mutant bats (maybe not Splinter, though)
The Puzorelli Mob's rivalry with the Jones family
Raphael leading a portion of the Foot Clan
Mikey writing and getting a girlfriend
Battle for the Cowl--I mean, Shredder Helmet

Volume 4:
Utroms arriving and First Contact on Earth
Earth joining the intergalactic community
Karai and the Foot's mysterious book
Donnie's Utrom adventures
Mikey as an alien tour guide
Mikey and the Regenta
Triceration/Styracodon war

CyberCubed
05-22-2015, 05:07 PM
The problem is how much of that could have been adapted for a cartoon? Shadow didn't exist in the 2k3 series, so there's no way they could have used that plotline. Also with Shredder already being multiple people in the 2k3 series, its hard to imagine Raphael taking it over.

Also a lot of the Volume 4 alien stuff was loosely adapted in Fast Forward.

Jephael
05-22-2015, 06:05 PM
It would've been neat to see 4Kids Mikey in a relationship with a cartoon version of the Regenta princess. Of course we most likely wouldn't see them doing the nasty in the ocean.

sdp
05-22-2015, 06:21 PM
Many of these storylines could've been adapted on FFs1 and weren't, I doubt a FFs2 would've adapted anything either.

Leo656
05-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Seeing as how Vol. 4 has been tested in clinical studies to see if it's viable as a safer alternative to Ambien, I'm kind of "Eh" on that idea. :lol:

No, seriously, it was boring. It was the single most boring thing I've ever seen that said "Ninja Turtles" on it. I've seen more excitement on the box art of that awful cereal they had. I mean, Next Mutation was objectively pretty terrible, but at least stuff happened, and more than occasionally.

Unless they intended to use the show to put rowdy kids to sleep, I fail to see how they'd get too many good episodes out of it.

k_lala
05-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Instead of FF and BTTS I would loved to have seen this but to make it work Laird would have to continue to be involved also keep the tone and animation that was used in the first 5 seasons.

From what i've read on recall, 4Kids ran into a budget issue after the Tribunal and Peter wasn't as creatively and financially involved with it after that. He did have approvals etc but I believe that's why we got what we got.

ImmaAxolotl
05-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Well, they kinda-sorta used the plotline where Raph turns into a giant turtle. I mean, they used a different character, but it's still kinda there.