PDA

View Full Version : Bishop's immortality

neatoman
05-24-2015, 02:37 PM
So I'm a little confused regarding Bishop's immortality. He was at least 180 years old, presumambly he didn't age because of alien experiments but then we found out that he's cheating death by cloning himself, obviously cloning wasn't even done successfully with a mammal until 1986 with mice, the earliest example of cloning was 1952 with a tadpole.

So taking some liberties and assuming human cloning would work just fine in the 50's in regards to this cartoon, that would mean Bishop was at least 130 years old by the time he had his first clone body. So in that case he must have started out with some kind of power that kept him young and then he began cloning himself, possibly because that degeneration thing we saw a couple of times, but then you'd have to explain why the clone bodies degenerate faster.

So I'm confused, when did he start cloning bodies and why do they degenerate quicker than his original body?

Eurydemus
05-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Best not think too deeply about such things.

Though if I were to come up with my own scenario, I'd go with Bishop never really had this physical degeneration problem until fairly recently when he started using himself as a human guinea pig (e.g. using his DNA to create that Slayer clone).

Maybe he's just lucky by the time his old body was on the verge of turning into a pile of nasty he had the technology to make a new one.

ImmaAxolotl
05-26-2015, 07:14 AM
Best not think too deeply about such things.

Though if I were to come up with my own scenario, I'd go with Bishop never really had this physical degeneration problem until fairly recently when he started using himself as a human guinea pig (e.g. using his DNA to create that Slayer clone).

Maybe he's just lucky by the time his old body was on the verge of turning into a pile of nasty he had the technology to make a new one.

Yeah, that sounds pretty sound. This series has shown more than once that tampering with your own DNA can cause cellular breakdown. (Or as I like to call it, genetic rejection!)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-26-2015, 05:16 PM
So I'm a little confused regarding Bishop's immortality. He was at least 180 years old, presumambly he didn't age because of alien experiments but then we found out that he's cheating death by cloning himself, obviously cloning wasn't even done successfully with a mammal until 1986 with mice, the earliest example of cloning was 1952 with a tadpole.

So taking some liberties and assuming human cloning would work just fine in the 50's in regards to this cartoon, that would mean Bishop was at least 130 years old by the time he had his first clone body. So in that case he must have started out with some kind of power that kept him young and then he began cloning himself, possibly because that degeneration thing we saw a couple of times, but then you'd have to explain why the clone bodies degenerate faster.

So I'm confused, when did he start cloning bodies and why do they degenerate quicker than his original body?

I think it's easier to believe that after Bishop escaped his alien abductors during the American Civil War, he somehow either stole some of their tech during his escape or shortly thereafter led an attack against the aliens to capture their technology and kill his captors. From that captured technology, he upgraded his own genetics, developed or repurposed cloning tech, and formed the EPF. Hence why his tech is so far advanced compared to the American military or the UN.

It seems pretty easy to read between those particular lines, but maybe I'm just seeing that due to other stuff I've read/watched/written...

megashredder
06-15-2015, 10:42 PM
Agent Bishop's persona in sesn 3 was GENIUS, and a lot like a rag doll...lol
being impaled on a hook and thrown around by Hun. Not to mention destroying saki's mansion out of jelousy for him having alien tech....

:tmad: