PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Video Game Hall Of Fame thread

turtlefanforever
06-05-2015, 08:57 AM
There will finally be a video game HOF.

First ever Inductees include: World of Warcraft, Doom, Tetris, Mario Bros, Pong, & Pac-Man,

A very deserving bunch, selected from a group of 15 inductees.

The video game HOF is located at The Strong Museum.

Use this thread to discuss all future news, notes & comments about the video game hall of fame.

Netkeeper
06-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Kind of sickening that WOW got in with all those classics.

turtlefanforever
06-05-2015, 11:52 AM

I'm surprised Doom got in with the first batch. WOW has a movie coming out and it's the greatest online multiplayer computer game of all time.

Prowler
06-05-2015, 12:14 PM
I have not played WOW so I cannot comment on its quality, but it's definitely a classic and has left its mark on the video game industry. That being said, I wouldn't induct it alongside the other well-deserving classics on the list. I'd induct Zelda or Pokémon ahead of it, but I'm guessing they're saving big names and don't want to induct them all in the same year. Otherwise, people would stop caring about this pretty quickly.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-05-2015, 12:25 PM
I have not played WOW so I cannot comment on its quality, but it's definitely a classic and has left its mark on the video game industry. That being said, I wouldn't induct it alongside the other well-deserving classics on the list. I'd induct Zelda or Pokémon ahead of it, but I'm guessing they're saving big names and don't want to induct them all in the same year. Otherwise, people would stop caring about this pretty quickly.

That's a good point... surprised Pokemon isn't on there.

turtlefanforever
06-05-2015, 05:06 PM

They beat out Pokemon & Zelda to get in.

here's the list of the 15 nominees:

Angry Birds, DOOM, FIFA, The Legend of Zelda, Minecraft, The Oregon Trail, Pac-Man, Pokémon, Pong, The Sims, Sonic the Hedgehog, Space Invaders, Super Mario Bros., Tetris, World of Warcraft

As you can tell they wanted a list of classics and current video game kingpins in there. The right people won out in my opinion.

Netkeeper
06-05-2015, 06:31 PM
All the right people except WOW, that is.

ssjup81
06-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Really? World of Warcraft beat out Zelda and Pokemon? RECOUNT!!!:P:lol:

Oh well, nothing I can do or say about it. Good job to the winners.

Peanut
06-06-2015, 12:31 PM
WoW is awful, but it's a watershed game, just like all of the ones on that list, whether we agree with it or not. WoW looks laughable next to the stuff it's getting in beside, but it's not undeserving. It just looks less important next to games that literally defined both genres and the entire industry as a whole.

Also, this is how these HoF things work. You spread out the "obvious" choices so you're not without safe options going forward.

Prowler
06-06-2015, 01:52 PM
WoW is awful, but it's a watershed game, just like all of the ones on that list, whether we agree with it or not. WoW looks laughable next to the stuff it's getting in beside, but it's not undeserving. It just looks less important next to games that literally defined both genres and the entire industry as a whole.

Also, this is how these HoF things work. You spread out the "obvious" choices so you're not without safe options going forward.
Just as I thought. The WWE HoF works like that as well. Gotta save big names. Can't induct all of them at the same time.

I'm sure Zelda and Pokémon will join the video game HoF soon. It's not like it's relevant who gets inducted first or last. What matters is that you made into it.

turtlefanforever
06-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Just because your fav game doesn't get in, doesn't mean it never will. Hope Mortal Kombat gets nominated. It probably will. I expect Mortal Kombat in there eventually, same with Call of Duty, namely COD4: MW. Considering it blew everyones mind when it came out and redesigned/imagined war games as a whole. Street fighter will make it in too. But these probably won't until like the 3rd or 4th inductions at least.