PDA

View Full Version : The Garbage Pail Kids 30th anniversary

JakeSully
06-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Can you believe it's been 30 years since one of the coolest card series ever hit stores. I was 4 years old when they came out and i still remembered collecting them at 4/5/6/7 and 8 and having them in an album.

I even had a few t-shirts, a few school stuff and i even saw the cheesy movie in theaters.

turtlefanforever
06-08-2015, 08:16 PM
got a few mint cards in my house

MrPliggins
06-09-2015, 06:29 AM
I collected from series 3 to about series 5 or 6. Good old times. Loved those things. I forget what happened to them.

I never got around to seeing the movie until I was an adult. One of the worst movies of all time IMO..

billbot85
07-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Never got into collecting the cards, but I remember my sister had some of the stickers of the characters, and stuck them on this metal cabinet we have in the basement. They always kinda grossed me out, but they were cool at the same time, haha.

JakeSully
07-19-2015, 07:55 AM
I collected from series 3 to about series 5 or 6. Good old times. Loved those things. I forget what happened to them.

I never got around to seeing the movie until I was an adult. One of the worst movies of all time IMO..

Yes the movie is Leonard part 6 bad and do you think MST3K should had riffed it?

tmntgeoff
10-18-2015, 08:16 PM
If nobody knows already there is also a gpk forum online. Im also a fellow gpk collector since I was 5 but I only collect the original art. Some of my more notible pieces are series 1 tee vee Stevie, series 4 rock e horror and series 3 silent Sandy. All fantastic pieces.

shuriken
10-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Was never into any card colecting but I remember one of my cousins had some. Saw the movie like 5 years ago and I hated it as much as I hated Freddy Got fingered. And I really hated Freddy Got fingered.

Storm Eagle
10-27-2015, 06:55 AM
Was never into any card colecting but I remember one of my cousins had some. Saw the movie like 5 years ago and I hated it as much as I hated Freddy Got fingered. And I really hated Freddy Got fingered.

I've seen a lot of people say it was pretty bad. It's even coming to Blu-ray in December.

I remember wanting to start getting some as a kid (I was 6 when they started), and I went to a store to get some, but they were fresh out. Then I had a change of heart when more started coming out and they started to get to be a bit much for me. Even to this day, I still can't stand to look at them. Strange thing is, I stopped being afraid of horror movies when I was 10, and I even had a marathon of the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies four years ago, and I've also seen the entire Child's Play series. Then I'd get to see fatality moves Mortal Kombat in the arcades when I was 14. Instead of being grossed out by that, I just found that to be the darndest thing, seeing that sort of thing in a video game. I'm even still a fan of Beavis and Butt-head. Still, I kind of have to hand it to whoever thought up GPK, and how they've been able to think up so many of them after all these years.

Gaucelm
10-29-2015, 04:07 PM
The only thing GPK-related I knew as a kid was the animated series. In France, we had the chance to get it on TV.

I only saw a bit of it, but it creeped me out. The girl with her face in her hand, for instance. I was a bit of a scaredy-cat as a kid, and even The Real Ghostbusters cartoon would spook me.

After Doug Walker maintained that the Garbage Pail Kids movie was the worst one he ever saw, I decided to give it a watch.

Surprisingly, I kinda liked it.

Maybe because I have crappy taste.
Maybe because I see it as an oddity that is to be observed with amusement.
Maybe because my expectations were super-low.
Maybe because I still have a child mind who is amused by small puppet monsters and silly stupid stories.
Maybe because the dated 80s-ness charms me.
Maybe because I am a contrarian.

Storm Eagle
10-30-2015, 04:20 PM
The only thing GPK-related I knew as a kid was the animated series. In France, we had the chance to get it on TV.

I only saw a bit of it, but it creeped me out. The girl with her face in her hand, for instance. I was a bit of a scaredy-cat as a kid, and even The Real Ghostbusters cartoon would spook me.

That was supposed to air here in the US in the fall of 1987, but it's said that it never got aired here due to protests by parents. If that's so, then I guess they were the ones who had to take their kids to see the movie.

A co-worker from a previous job told me that they also got the cartoon in Trinidad where she used to live. The whole series came out on DVD in 2006.

shuriken
11-04-2015, 02:24 PM

Hey man the real Ghostbusters still freaks me out a bit. But you are the first person to compliment that movie.