PDA

View Full Version : What would be good to get rid of sharpie marks on figures?

Ninturtle
06-15-2015, 08:40 PM
When I was younger I used Sharpies on my figures and I was wondering what's good to use to get rid of it with out damaging plastic.

Candy Kappa
06-16-2015, 01:52 AM
Magic Eraser might help

idreamofpins
06-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Do All or a lubricant like spray may work. It removes sharpie from metal for me.

Huzzah
06-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Acetone, but sparingly.

Splint'r
06-16-2015, 05:14 PM
When I was younger I used Sharpies on my figures and I was wondering what's good to use to get rid of it with out damaging plastic.

How bad is it? What kind of plastic are you working with? Is it soft plastic or hard plastic? Depending on some plastics, the alcohol based marker ink could have been absorbed through the surface of softer plastics/pvc/vinyl, making it very hard to impossible to remove completely.
If the surface is hard and the ink hasn't been on that surface for too long, you can try using rubbing alcohol first. Take a cotton swab and gently rub in circular motion and see if you can get it out. Rubbing alcohol can get out sharpie ink quite easily, as long as it hasn't been absorbed through the surface (typically softer plastics will have this issue, such as the 90s movie star turtles.).
I've used rubbing alcohol on my vintage figures, to deep clean them, without any damage done to the plastic or paint job. I would not recommend alcohol on anything that's been painted with craft model paint or acrylics (ie. custom jobs, etc).

Acetone should be your last resort. Even nail polish acetone can have damaging results to some plastics (especially clear plastics). You really have to make sure you work swiftly and with as little as possible like Huzzah said.
Hope you have luck getting it out.

Huzzah
06-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Learned the hard way to use light acetone, though he is right, often alcohol can remove some marksfrom harder plastics. I melted a Marvel Legends figures joints using it in excess.

Though, if you have the patience and right colors, it's probably easier just to do repaints.

AdamWarlock87
06-18-2015, 11:22 PM
Magic eraser works real good