PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Shredder costume

Amaranthus
06-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Does anyone have any tutorial on how to make a good looking and not too expensive Shredder costume? I might make one this summer.

ProactiveMan
06-29-2015, 01:43 AM
No tutorial, but I've been making one out of foam mats. It's a pretty straightforward technique where you cut your armour pieces out of dense foam, like the stuff they make yoga mats out of, then shape it with a heat-gun, coat it in a sprayable plastic, and then paint it.

There are a number of tutorials on YouTube regarding this technique, it's fairly inexpensive and not too difficult to do. I hit a bit of a setback as I can't find the spray plastic that most of the tutorials specify. It's called Plasti-dip, and it's not commonly available in my part of the world. I thought I could use a similar product, designed to do the same thing as Plasti-dip (people use it to impermanently paint the rims on their car), but it didn't harden the way Plasti-dip seems to in the videos. When I put the shin-guards on they wrinkled.

The helmet is doable in foam, but it's more complicated than the armour or face plate. There are tutorials for making sci-fi, 'space marine' like helmets out of foam that I think would work for a Shredder helmet in principal. You need to build the dome out of three separate cuts of foam though, and it looks tricky - I have started the helmet, but I put it aside until I get the plastic sorted out.

Amaranthus
06-29-2015, 05:52 AM
No tutorial, but I've been making one out of foam mats. It's a pretty straightforward technique where you cut your armour pieces out of dense foam, like the stuff they make yoga mats out of, then shape it with a heat-gun, coat it in a sprayable plastic, and then paint it.

There are a number of tutorials on YouTube regarding this technique, it's fairly inexpensive and not too difficult to do. I hit a bit of a setback as I can't find the spray plastic that most of the tutorials specify. It's called Plasti-dip, and it's not commonly available in my part of the world. I thought I could use a similar product, designed to do the same thing as Plasti-dip (people use it to impermanently paint the rims on their car), but it didn't harden the way Plasti-dip seems to in the videos. When I put the shin-guards on they wrinkled.

The helmet is doable in foam, but it's more complicated than the armour or face plate. There are tutorials for making sci-fi, 'space marine' like helmets out of foam that I think would work for a Shredder helmet in principal. You need to build the dome out of three separate cuts of foam though, and it looks tricky - I have started the helmet, but I put it aside until I get the plastic sorted out.

Foam seems good enough, but it'd really be easier if it was written down with illustrations. It's annoying to watch a video and then try to remember what you have to do.

ProactiveMan
06-30-2015, 01:43 AM
I think you can find some text/photo tutes for the same process, but yeah, they are not specifically for Shredder costumes, so you'll have to adapt the info to your specific needs.

Problem with straight-up foam is that it's difficult to paint. Even high density foam soaks up paint like a mofo, so the final result can be patchy.