PDA

View Full Version : Rewatching Fast Forward

Spike Spiegel
07-03-2015, 05:28 PM
I recently tracked down some dvds of this season and the stuff from season 1-the middle of season 2. FF was the point where I had stopped watching during the original broadcast run (I think I saw the premiere episode).

I'm up to "Timing is Everything."

Other than the characterization of Michelangelo, this series isn't as bad as I remember it being. It kind of has the same vibe as the first act of "Back to the Future Part II." Also, I think I do notice some level of actual character development between Leo and Raph.

CyberCubed
07-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Fast Forward has a lot of good episodes and villains.

Yeah this was the season where Mikey became even more obnoxious then when he won the Battle Nexus, and other than the worse animation and some catch phrases, I still find most episodes entertaining.

The Triple Threat episodes are all mostly terrible though.

turtlefanforever
07-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Fast Forward is good. I like it. First time watching it, i liked it, but certainly didn't stack up to the other seasons. Second time i watched it i really enjoyed it.

Wish we got a 2nd season of it.

LeoRaph
07-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Fast Forward can on the surface appear to be childish and at times sometimes it is a little bit but the heart of 2K3 is very much in it and it deals with the Turtles in a new light, they are no longer outcasts and are 'free' to walk around in the world and be accepted. That premise alone makes the whole series worth watching as there is still a lot of character development as they go through this.

There are a couple of 'filler' episodes and like Cubed I don't like the Triple Threat episodes. Nor did I think Sh'Okanabo was that great of a bad guy, infact I thought he was quite weak compared to Shredder, hell even Agent Bishop was more bad ass both bad and good. I did think though the real bad guy was Darrius. It was also nice to see Baxter and Agent Bishop give into their humane sides.

Unlike a lot of people, I also never not once didn't like Cody, I thought he worked well in the show and even Jarvis had some nice moments, especially when you learn his relationship with Cody.

All in all, despite a few flaws it's still a pretty good series and well worth it.

ABrown
07-04-2015, 07:29 PM
I really liked the Fast Forward season. The only thing that I had against it at the time was that it aired before the fifth season did. So I desperately wanted to see how the Ninja Tribunal story played out. But I would absolutely take the Fast Forward season over a season of Nickelodeon's series.

Bry
07-04-2015, 11:57 PM
I gave up on Fast Forward a few episodes in when it aired because it felt so much like a "jump the shark" moment and an abandonment of everything that made the 2003 series what it was. To date that's the only season I haven't fully watched. But I found the second DVD set in a pawn shop for $3 recently and couldn't resist, so I'll give that a shot sometime soonish.

Spike Spiegel
07-05-2015, 12:05 AM
But I found the second DVD set in a pawn shop for $3 recently and couldn't resist, so I'll give that a shot sometime soonish.

So far the second half is much, much better than the first...

CyberCubed
07-05-2015, 12:07 AM
I gave up on Fast Forward a few episodes in when it aired because it felt so much like a "jump the shark" moment and an abandonment of everything that made the 2003 series what it was. .

I don't get this logic, at least give something a full viewing before making judgement on it.

DonatelloNinja82
07-05-2015, 09:13 AM
I've never had much of a problem with it. It has many good episodes which I enjoy.

Bry
07-05-2015, 05:49 PM
I don't get this logic, at least give something a full viewing before making judgement on it.

I watched the first two or three episodes and didn't care for it, at least at the time. I'm gonna give it another chance now, but I don't think my opinion was unreasonable. It was a big shift in concept and tone from the show I was enjoying, and that's bound to be jarring and off-putting for a lot of people.

DarkLightDragon
07-06-2015, 05:52 AM
I can definitely concede with those who found it jarring animation-wise and tone-wise (though personally it wasn't really the series's tone that got me hooked on it) that >> was meant to follow-up to Season 5. However, I can't really say it's that bad. I liked a fair number of episodes and appreciated that the characters were still in-character (though if you weren't a fan of 2k3 Mikey before, don't expect that to change here).

Cody was okay as a April/Casy stand-in and could've easily been written as worse as Chris Thorndike (people who watched Sonic X should know who I mean and how hated that character is) but unlike that character he could actually be useful than just as asset for the Turtles to rescue/save on occasion. His relationship and falling out with Darius might've helped as well.

(New) villains were, eh. Dark Turtles were definitely stood out the most and are only memorable for how much untapped potential they had. Darius was alright, you could tell right away he was 'the Scar' of the main cast by wanting his nephew out of the picture, but managed to avoid getting caught. But that would only make the Turtle more suspicious of him and it was all just a matter of waiting for him to actually slip up and expose himself. And major props they never made Darius's true nature a center for conflict between Cody and the Turtles. Turtles says he's obviously bad, but Cody doesn't believe him because Darius is "family." I hate it when that sh*t gets put in shows or movies as a contrived way to create conflict between heroes, so thank god they avoided it here. The Inawushin Gunjin guys? Okay, but like the Dark Turtles, we didn't get much of them to really see their potential, hell, less so than the DT's. Sh'kanabo was good as the Big Bad in this series, but like Shredder, his menace doesn't make up for not being an interesting villain. Jammerhead? Um, his voice was annoying, but that's really it. Seems to me they were trying to make him a future-version of Hun and the Purple Dragons with his gang except by making him the exact opposite in both design and personality. Triple-Threat? Yeah, definitely the weak link here out of the rogues gallery.

All in all, >> is.....alright. There's some episodes to like, but as I said before, it will take some adjustment to the tone and animation style to at least enjoy. It's not as good as what came before, and it most cases seems almost unnecessary, but it's relatively harmless.

Cipher
07-06-2015, 04:42 PM
While they don't speak to the quality of the series as a whole (which is lower than the first four seasons), "Milk Run" and "DNA is Thicker Than Water" are handily two of the best episodes of the entire 4Kids run, and, minus some artifacts of the kids'-show format (particularly ending on a pat joke in "Milk Run") feel tonally closer to something Mirage would do than many of the earlier adaptations.

I actually think Fast Forward nails a recurring rogues gallery in a way few Turtles incarnations have ever managed, as well. Viral, Sh'Okanabo, Zixx, Zukko, Darius, the Dark Turtles, Jammerhead and even Triple Threat from time to time is a solid list of villains, and they each get at least one really enjoyable episode among their appearances.

On a more conceptual note, I'm generally a fan of the Turtles being free to enter society at some point too (which, up to this point, had happened in every version save the movies and Next Mutation), so as the 4Kids version of that scenario, it's an interesting part of the series as well.

DarkLightDragon
07-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Wow, I can't believe I forgot Viral. Yeah, she was alright too. After seeing quite the female representation in 2k3, it was cool to see one who was an actual villain.

Bry
07-06-2015, 10:01 PM
I've watched "The Gaminator", "Graduation Day" and "Milk Run" now (had to skip a few episodes due to scratched-up discs -- I'll have to get them resurfaced at the pawn shop). It's definitely a mixed bag and doesn't hold a candle to the first five seasons, but I see that it did improve since the start of the season.

They absolutely turned the Mikey Obnoxiousness Knob up to 11, the show mostly feels lighter and less "complex"/interesting than what came before, and the villains are pretty forgettable overall compared to most of the original 4Kids pack. (Though to be fair, there were a few seriously lame ducks in that rogue's gallery too.) The neon-lit, high-tech future setting is right up my alley... buuut, putting the Turtles there is an awkward fit at best, and I really don't think it works on a conceptual level. My general feeling was "this could be worse for what it is, but I'd really prefer something else entirely".

So, y'know. I still think it was a huge misstep, but it has its moments. As uneven as Back to the Sewer was, I still think I prefer that to this overall, though that may mostly be personal preference in setting, supporting characters and villains.

So... yeah. Not great, not awful. I could still take it or leave it. But I'll keep watching. :trazz:

Powder
07-06-2015, 10:07 PM
It gets progressively better, trust me. It's well worth watching in full, which I'm not sure I'd say for BTTS.

Jester
07-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Yeah...not sure what to say about BTTS, but >> (as i like to abbreviate it... :P) does get better. Heck, i'd call "DNA is Thicker Than Water" some of the best TMNT PERIOD, not just in the 4Kids universe. It's a very well done episode. Sure you've got Triple Threat and Jammer Head, but >> gave us some complexity with the Inuwashi Gunjin and the Dark TMNT.

Bry
07-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Well, I've only seen 6 out of 26 episodes so far, so there's room for my opinion to shift further!

And as much as I don't think putting the Turtles in the distant future long-term works as a series concept... having them fight a Shredder virus in a gaudy-looking Cyberspace probably works even less. BttS certainly isn't great by any stretch, but I did like a bit of what they did when they weren't playing to the gimmick - seeing April and Casey's relationship progress was nice, and the Foot, Purple Dragons, and Baxter Stockman will always feel more "right" to me than most of the FF villains. Though again, that's personal bias.

The Turtles have always had time travel and intergalactic journeys peppered into their adventures, and I like that stuff a lot, in doses. But it being the regular status quo (even if it didn't last long) still doesn't work for me. Doesn't mean it's bad -- and knowing it ends helps me look at it all as an extended Back to the Future 2 kind of deal -- but that "this is not ideal" mindset isn't something I've gotten past. Yet, anyway.

Cipher
07-06-2015, 10:36 PM
"Milk Run" alone is better than every episode of Back to the Sewer. And agreed with Jester that "DNA is Thicker Than Water" deserves a spot (maybe a lower one, but still a spot) among some of the better Turtles stories regardless of iteration.

Bry
07-06-2015, 10:50 PM
"Milk Run" was the best I've seen yet of this season, by far. It helps that the plot kept its momentum throughout and didn't permit any real "zany antics" stuff -- and it meant Mikey kept his mouth shut much of the time, which it pains me to say as a lifelong Michelangelo fan. :tlol: Much closer to the early 4Kids feel than anything else I've seen of Fast Forward. Doesn't hit the same heights as the best episodes of the series, but it was pretty solid!

I'll get to "DNA" pretty soon, so I'll be sure to share my thoughts after that too.

Cryomancer
07-07-2015, 12:10 AM
I can't remember now, did they ever see Bishop again in the present? I thought that was an interesting twist in the FF season and would have made for some good interactions back in the present but I can't remember them actually doing that ever. Been awhile.

The fact that this season had a huge overall plot that basically teaches a kid to not trust a family member is also incredibly unusual for a kid's show and thus pretty neat.

Jester
07-07-2015, 12:21 AM
I can't remember now, did they ever see Bishop again in the present? I thought that was an interesting twist in the FF season and would have made for some good interactions back in the present but I can't remember them actually doing that ever. Been awhile.

The fact that this season had a huge overall plot that basically teaches a kid to not trust a family member is also incredibly unusual for a kid's show and thus pretty neat.
As far as I remember, Bishop only shows up in a cameo in the Wedding episode.

Cryomancer
07-07-2015, 12:29 AM
As far as I remember, Bishop only shows up in a cameo in the Wedding episode.

Too bad, it would have been kinda great to see them talking about how they are friendly in the future during a battle or something.

CyberCubed
07-07-2015, 12:34 AM

Bishop is seen in the last episode watching April/Casey's wedding in a cameo. But he doesn't get a full appearance in any BTTS episodes.

But yeah, Bishop becoming the president of Earth and welcoming aliens to the planet to keep it safe from hostile aliens was a great direction to move with the character.

megashredder
07-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Bishop and Stockman make appearances.
there are season 4 flashbcks
cody has stockmn's sesn 4 andriod in his collection...

SHREDDER also made an entrance with black boot's and no rag/chain mail! A "roug in the house" throwback.....

:)

jenna
07-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Fast Forward might not have seemed so bad at the time were it not such an extreme jump from the tone and quality of the first 4 seasons of 2k3. Maybe if the lost season had aired it wouldn't have been such a shock. Then FF would just be yet another TMNT incarnation that lots of people love and lots of people hate, depending on what floats their individual TMNT boat.

However, that's not what happened. There were 4 beautifully animated, philosophical, angsty, thoughtful seasons one minute and cartoonish silliness the next. Fast Foward was a betrayal and a sell-out and the death of what was until that point a great incarnation of TMNT. TMNT has always had a sci-fi edge, but FF pushed that boundary of slight implausibility into sheer ridiculousness and lost quality at the same time.

Jarring. Jarring jarring jarring.

victory_angel
07-09-2015, 03:57 PM
I agree...Fast Forward could have been good. I mean Turtle's sent 100 years into the future is cool. High-jinks ensue is not. I think the series itself suffers from rewrite syndrome. There were some good episodes and lots of bad episodes.

Some of the good episodes would be the first episode, just cut out Biggles and the turtles complaining that their naked. I mean yes technically they were, but that also covers about 70 percent of the rest of series.

Leave Triple Threat as a one shot villain...seriously when it comes to annoying villains he takes the cake.

Jammer Head-Another annoying villain...I'd leave as a sparsely reoccurring villain. As in maybe in a filler or two. Or retcon him, say he's a descendant of Hun and the Street Phantoms are a group of Purple Dragons who splintered off and became their own group eventually taking over the Purple Dragon's Turf or something off that sort.

I also found the series hypocritical of itself.

as in telling Donnie he's going to be a founder of O'Neil Tech and become very instrumental in creating that future is okay. But when the Turtles have an opportunity to learn how said Future was created and what roles they played in creating it they are told that doing so would affect that future from being created.

Spike Spiegel
07-09-2015, 04:21 PM
I also found the series hypocritical of itself.

as in telling Donnie he's going to be a founder of O'Neil Tech and become very instrumental in creating that future is okay. But when the Turtles have an opportunity to learn how said Future was created and what roles they played in creating it they are told that doing so would affect that future from being created.

My personal head-canon involves them reading the journal, going back to the past, and then deciding to live their lives as they see fit instead of according to the book. Splinter would give some philosophical speech about how time is a river with many tributaries. Also, BTTS and all that cyber-s#*! never happens.

xbennoda
07-09-2015, 06:06 PM
Um... it's Ninja Time? :trolleye:

THGhost
07-16-2015, 02:44 PM

The logic is perfectly sound. If you aren't enjoying something several episodes in, at all, then why bother contining with it? People like what they like and vice-versa.

CyberCubed
07-16-2015, 03:44 PM
The logic is perfectly sound. If you aren't enjoying something several episodes in, at all, then why bother contining with it? People like what they like and vice-versa.

And yet there are many shows or seasons that have a slow start with some dull episodes at first before it gets good.

DarkLightDragon
07-17-2015, 04:18 AM
Well then that's more of the creator's fault and not the viewer if they don't do a good enough job to hook you into a series.

SixthTurtle
07-17-2015, 07:15 PM
I remember not liking Fast Forward but I think that's just because I didn't really give it a chance. Sometimes I do that with a show. I stop watching, come back after awhile and then see it's not as bad as I thought.

THGhost
07-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Well then that's more of the creator's fault and not the viewer if they don't do a good enough job to hook you into a series.

Exactly. :razz:

megashredder
07-30-2015, 03:35 PM
I liked how leo beat him in timing is everything. The foot mystic from season 1 made a cameo. and they showed utrom and the E.P.f base! decent season.....
:D