PDA

View Full Version : How would you improve the original NES TMNT?

GoldMutant
07-06-2015, 01:04 PM
This game has single handily haunted many kids growing up in the late 80s and early 90s before the sequels came out. It was brutal in difficult, half of the heroes were practically useless, contained one of the most infamous levels in the 8 bit era, and a poor mixture of the Mirage Comics and the 80s toon. (elements of both not handled well) Despite the sequels being greater and this game getting hatred over the years, I almost wonder if it had better potential. The graphics were decent and like any Konami game, the music was excellent.

So, how can this game be fixed for a more satisfying time in your eyes? There would still be the six main areas in the game though, but how would you improve the game if the side scrolling was kept? Would you improve the difficulty? Would you make it more like the Mirage Comics or 80s cartoon? Would there be more levels?

Share ideas down below. :)

Candy Kappa
07-06-2015, 03:00 PM
A better end-boss fight with Shredder, beyond that, the game is fine.

ctt4lfecw
07-06-2015, 03:07 PM
This game has single handily haunted many kids growing up in the late 80s and early 90s before the sequels came out. It was brutal in difficult, half of the heroes were practically useless, contained one of the most infamous levels in the 8 bit era, and a poor mixture of the Mirage Comics and the 80s toon. (elements of both not handled well) Despite the sequels being greater and this game getting hatred over the years, I almost wonder if it had better potential. The graphics were decent and like any Konami game, the music was excellent.

So, how can this game be fixed for a more satisfying time in your eyes? There would still be the six main areas in the game though, but how would you improve the game if the side scrolling was kept? Would you improve the difficulty? Would you make it more like the Mirage Comics or 80s cartoon? Would there be more levels?

First of all what a great idea for a topic. I love TMNT NES. I always play it first before I play the follow ups. I wish that the beat em ups that came after had the option of weapon choices for the Turtles which I missed from the first one. I think they should have improved thenemies with more Foot Ninja. Although I love some of the difficult enemies in the game like the blue laser guys. So some of the enemies I would keep, and maybe add more Foot Ninja, because there really aren't that many when you look at it. The game felt very "street" which I loved. And I guess that comes from the feel of the comics. I would emphasize that more. Maybe have a street level at night. I love how all of the areas are NY spots. Such as JFK airport and the South Bronx when you go looking for the Technodrome. You know I think they could have got away with no Technodrome if they wanted too. I mean to me, when you got inside it, it felt like a warehouse anyway. So it really was there just to have it there for the FW presence. Plus with no Krang boss fight, what's the point of having a Technodrome? To me,in the game it felt like just the dam level.
As far as bosses go, I think you could keep Bebop and Rocksteady. I would have put Baxter Stockman in charge of the JFK airport fight with the Mother Mouser. Beef it up a bit so it's not such a pushover. I would have put Rat King in place of the Mecha-Turtle. And you know the cover of this game was #4 second edition of the comics. I would do the TCRI Lab and have Triceratons. Shredder is fun when you get up to him. I would have taken away his retro-mutagen gun. Way too cheap. Instead I would basically have him fight like the Turtles, just very mobile and agile, and he can be quick with attacks and his armor would actually protect him from striking moves from the Turtles. I would just enhance the battle to be more skill-based. Maybe have a way each Turtle approaches the battle different. His weapons are what he is wearing, high damage gauntlets.
You have to remember this is 1989, so you have to go with what you got from the comics at this point. I believe the first game should have been 2 player. Maybe develop a double-team combat system. Maybe that would have been asking for too much. But at least two player, so you feel like a team. Do you know what would have been sick? Ninja Gaiden-style cut scenes. Except adapted from the comics. Could you imagine Shredder's dialogue from issue #1 right before you fight him in the game?!
I don't think there's anything wrong with the dam level. I mean how hard is it to switch out your Turtle when it gets low on health? I would not change it.

And if I may make one more suggestion, something I have wanted and they never did in the sequels. Make Casey Jones playable.

As far as the TMNT themselves. Raph and Mikey need the most work. I'd let Raph's arms come out further so he has better range with his sai. And Mikey could maybe have a tying feature with the nunchuck chain, just something to make him stand out, rather than being the runner -upfor worst Turtle to pick.

I know this would never fly, but maybe add blood when people are taking damage. Maybe add the Purple Dragons for some enemy variety too. And, I loved how in the sequels you can interact with objects like in the Final Fight games. Pipes, trash cans etc...

Mew
07-06-2015, 06:18 PM
I like it as is. I feel it's a NES classic. I don't get the hate for it. :)

MikeandRaph87
07-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Make it less complicated and more beat'em up side scrolling like the other three games. I would also add a couple of more boss fights with characters such as Krang, Baxter the Fly, and The Rat King. Instead of trying to fight the Technodrome as a boss why not the underground leading to the Techndorome and fight Baxter the Fly before entering.

shuriken
07-08-2015, 12:55 PM
I'd change a few things.
1-Better graphics so they don't look like Simon Belmont.
2-More Foot ninjas and maybe even some Triceratons.
3-Have it still be one player, but have a special attack in which during a mini boss or boss fight you can "call" one of your brother's to attack from behind or whatever, and it can only be used once per level.
4- Switch the Mecha Turtle with Baxter and Traag.
5- The Foot Base is no longer a maze of trial and error, but with a more clear path and destination.
6-Remove the jetpacks on the flamethrower guys.
7-Add another level where you play as the Turtle Blimp, with the boss being A Giant Krang. Try to take down Krang by shooting the Head area, dodging foot balloons, his kicks, Punches and Laser beam blasts. His weak spot would be Krang itself in the belly area, in which is only accessible after breaking the Glass cover.
8-Have Shredder not be a total pushover.
9-Tweak the ending so it doesn't suck.

Aside from that I think the Game is good as is, it's tough, but enjoyable and a classic.

oldmanwinters
07-08-2015, 08:01 PM
I do love this game, so I wouldn't change anything major. From my perspective, I think of it less as "improve" and more as "upgrade," ala Ducktales Remastered.

I wouldn't mind a bit more consistency in the seemingly random sub-weapon generation after killing enemies. I really don't understand it at all regarding how many enemies you have to beat (if that even matters) and what weapon comes up.

I would edit the level design of The Technodrome, since one of the alternate paths requires you to step on a spiked floor (so far as I know). Definitely needed more stepping stones to jump around upon.

I'd probably make the jump a little easier at the top of the Level 2 Dam. I'm not sure the designers even aspired to make that jump that hard, even when you know how to do it. I have a similar problem with the Ostrich ride jumps in The Lion King (16-bit). Again, I think it's more careless design than intentionally challenge, because that's a weird spot to try and create tension in the player.

I think there ought to be a few more opportunities to rescue captured turtles. There's a lot of warehouses or tunnels that are so challenging yet offer little to no reward, and then you almost always have to fight your way back out the same way you came in.

On that note, I might prefer that enemies stay dead so long as you are in one section, even if you backtrack the screen.

Make the Mr. Invincibility icon a bit more strategically relevant in the actual gameplay. I think there's only one part of the Technodrome where it is practical to use instead of just going out of your way to get something pointless.

Give April & Splinter more variety of hints to better guide the player.

Most folks would probably say make the Turtles' attacks more balanced, but I think it's decent as is with Raphael and Michelangelo being more effective in certain parts of the game than others.

Jester
07-08-2015, 08:12 PM
I do love this game, so I wouldn't change anything major. From my perspective, I think of it less as "improve" and more as "upgrade," ala Ducktales Remastered.

I wouldn't mind a bit more consistency in the seemingly random sub-weapon generation after killing enemies. I really don't understand it at all regarding how many enemies you have to beat (if that even matters) and what weapon comes up.

I would edit the level design of The Technodrome, since one of the alternate paths requires you to step on a spiked floor (so far as I know). Definitely needed more stepping stones to jump around upon.

I'd probably make the jump a little easier at the top of the Level 2 Dam. I'm not sure the designers even aspired to make that jump that hard, even when you know how to do it. I have a similar problem with the Ostrich ride jumps in The Lion King (16-bit). Again, I think it's more careless design than intentionally challenge, because that's a weird spot to try and create tension in the player.

I think there ought to be a few more opportunities to rescue captured turtles. There's a lot of warehouses or tunnels that are so challenging yet offer little to no reward, and then you almost always have to fight your way back out the same way you came in.

On that note, I might prefer that enemies stay dead so long as you are in one section, even if you backtrack the screen.

Make the Mr. Invincibility icon a bit more strategically relevant in the actual gameplay. I think there's only one part of the Technodrome where it is practical to use instead of just going out of your way to get something pointless.

Give April & Splinter more variety of hints to better guide the player.

Most folks would probably say make the Turtles' attacks more balanced, but I think it's decent as is with Raphael and Michelangelo being more effective in certain parts of the game than others.
If thay did to this game what they did for Ducktales....I'd be so happy. Imagine the game re-mastered complete with the surviving voice cast reprising their roles.

oldmanwinters
07-08-2015, 10:07 PM
If thay did to this game what they did for Ducktales....I'd be so happy. Imagine the game re-mastered complete with the surviving voice cast reprising their roles.

Definitely. DT: Remastered was such a gift to fans. Most folks, myself included, thought all the cutscenes slowed down the pace of the gameplay, but it really did feel like sitting through a mult-part episode of the show, which was a pleasant surprise. The script worked hard to make the level missions plausible in an episode context. As in DT, a "quick play" option would be necessary for speed-runs.

Based on interviews I read with the development team for "Danger of the Ooze," that game was partly inspired by the original NES game, but obviously not a true remake. I wouldn't get my hopes up, since even Capcom never green-lit anymore remasters of their other classic NES titles like Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, or even DT2. But maybe one day...

CowabungaMikey
07-09-2015, 05:22 AM
Make it less hard, don't make the Turtles drown.

oldmanwinters
07-09-2015, 08:21 AM
don't make the Turtles drown.

But they don't! They can either get blown away by the dam exploding or swept away by the sewer water current, but they don't lose any health by spending too much time in the water.

DonatelloDomeHead31
07-11-2015, 06:52 PM
I saw someone mentioned that this game stay one player...I would have to disagree. There are some levels where more than one turtle is helpful in a boss fight or where the screen is full of enemies.

Also, when a turtle is defeated (keeping it one player), maybe rescue that Turtle? They did that for a Gameboy version, so rescuing a turtle would have made it more interesting.

Sadly, I didn't beat that game...I believe I got as far as the dam.

Xav
07-12-2015, 08:01 PM
But you can rescue the Turtles already.

Kendamu
07-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Not much. Mostly a bunch of tweaks. NES games are brutally difficult and TMNT was one of the better ones for its time. You lost due to sucking at it as opposed to it just being impossible or glitching out or whatever.

What I would likely do is...

- Make platforming sections a teeny tiny bit easier.
- A lot more sub weapon drops in a way similar to Ninja Gaiden.
- Maybe less ammo for those sub weapons since you get them more often.
- A lot more opportunities to pickup Mr. Invincibility.
- Lessen the variety of enemies to Foot-related sets only.
- Standardize which enemy set spawns in every area instead of just some.
- More opportunities for pizza.
- More opportunities to rescue Turtles.

All of these things would make the game much easier and more enjoyable to the average person just wanting to experience the original TMNT game. While it would still take skill to beat the game, it would afford the player with a lot more opportunities to pass difficult sections without drastically altering the core programming or overall level layout.

Spidey42005
07-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Loosing Donatello means starting the game over ... Alive the game was fairly simple ... Just had to sacrifice mikey and Raph in tricky parts like the underwater bomb sequence. I don't miss that part one bit :teek:

Zak The Neutrino
07-20-2015, 01:06 AM
The game needed to be less difficult and needed to lead more on where to go. I remember my brother and I would always get stuck in the second level where you are in the van and were didn't know where to go.

I've never played it as an adult since I hated it as a kid. I never even bothered to look is there Game Genie codes out there for this one? I got a game genie when I started buying NES games several years back. :D

Mini-Turtle
07-20-2015, 05:43 AM
A better end-boss fight with Shredder, beyond that, the game is fine.

Yeah, that was REALLY hard, don't think I could do it without infinite health. Stand close him, you get punched and lose half your health. Back off, and he pulls out a gun and demutates your Turtle.

chewy
07-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Yeah, that was REALLY hard, don't think I could do it without infinite health. Stand close him, you get punched and lose half your health. Back off, and he pulls out a gun and demutates your Turtle.

I think they're referring to how easy it is. If you stand on the platform on the right, you can hit him with Don/scrolls/boomerangs/stars and he'll fall off, then jump back up. You can hit him while he jumps up and cycle till dead.

I think the problem is that the game mechanics favor Donatello too much. There is a period after attacking an enemy before they can take damage again. That period is almost exactly as long as Don's attack time, so he doesn't care. Mike can hit much faster than Don, but it's a mute point because he still has to wait for that period to expire before he can hit again. I say cut out that invincible period for enemies, and it makes all the turtles' playable and varied.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-21-2015, 02:13 PM
1. Improve some stupid Jumps
2. Take away some of the electric seaweed from the Dam Level
3. More emphasis on combat

That's about it really.

oceanfr
08-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Its a classic but improve graphics a bit. More levels. Lower difficulty and add saving points. More villain interactions etc.

Candy Kappa
08-09-2015, 05:15 AM
I think they're referring to how easy it is. If you stand on the platform on the right, you can hit him with Don/scrolls/boomerangs/stars and he'll fall off, then jump back up. You can hit him while he jumps up and cycle till dead.

This. Shredder needed better coding.

saintsaucey
08-31-2015, 07:37 PM

Throw it in the trash

Prowler
11-30-2015, 12:11 AM
Better controls, especially the goddamn jumping. Making Raphael and Michelangelo actually useful wouldn't have been a bad idea either. Oh, and get rid of the respawning enemies BS. I shouldn't be forced to fight a horde of enemies again just because I missed a jump.

shuriken
11-30-2015, 02:59 AM
^^ Mikey is stronger than Leo and Raph. He's as Strong as Donnie when his lifebar is halved.

Xav
11-30-2015, 03:19 AM
Mikey is equal to Leo but weaker than Raph normally. When his health is halved he's stronger than Raph but weaker than Don.

shuriken
12-01-2015, 09:47 PM
^^ I always thought Mikey was as strong as Donnie with half his life. HRRRMM
Gotta play it again to see if it's true.
I think it's funny how Leo is essentially the weakest even though he's like the most dedicated to Ninjitsu.

MissTique
12-02-2015, 02:17 AM
I probably am in the minority here but I actually preferred this game to its sequels. Not only was it challenging but it also had some variety (turtles fighting, swimming, driving the Turtlevan etc). The one thing that I hated the most in the sequels is the tendency of the enemies to "grab" the player. That was so annoying!!!!! :tmad:

As for improvements to the original:
1. Make the jumping a bit more controlled.
2. Two player simultaneous play option.
3. Save points

chewy
07-02-2016, 12:16 AM
^^ I always thought Mikey was as strong as Donnie with half his life. HRRRMM
Gotta play it again to see if it's true.
I think it's funny how Leo is essentially the weakest even though he's like the most dedicated to Ninjitsu.

I think Raph is actually the weakest. Check out this FAQ; Raph is the essentially the weakest due to low range and no half-health bonus: http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587689-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/faqs/70362

ctt4lfecw
07-03-2016, 07:55 PM
I probably am in the minority here but I actually preferred this game to its sequels. Not only was it challenging but it also had some variety (turtles fighting, swimming, driving the Turtlevan etc). The one thing that I hated the most in the sequels is the tendency of the enemies to "grab" the player. That was so annoying!!!!! :tmad:

As for improvements to the original:
1. Make the jumping a bit more controlled.
2. Two player simultaneous play option.
3. Save points

No you are not alone. I play this more than the sequels. Plus the frog enemy is my favorite btw.

Tora
07-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Tune down the difficulty and replace many of the enemies with characters based on the 87 toon.

Etsyturtle2
07-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Package a Game Genie with it.

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-11-2016, 01:35 AM
I love this game was more platformer than beat-em-up, but it should have been less difficult, with more opportunities for pizzas and rescuing turtles (in other words, extra lives!)

Andrew NDB
07-11-2016, 01:40 AM

The original NES TMNT game remains the only TMNT game that truly tried to push the envelope originally. Everything since has just been a button masher arcade kind of thing ("how fast can you push button 1 or 2, or 1 and 2 together?" bleh). Great memories of good friends in rooms sweating over getting through those levels. The disarming bombs underwater, running over Foot Soldiers on land.

That said, it's hard as f*ck. Took a Game Genie to beat it.

Xav
07-11-2016, 03:56 AM
There were other games that weren't just button mashers, like Radical Rescue, those mobile RPG games, the GBA version of Battle Nexus and Danger of the Ooze.

retr0pia75
07-11-2016, 07:07 AM
To be honest, I don't find the NES game to be as nearly as bad as everyone says it is. Aside from the dam level, I find it to be a legitimately well-designed and fun experience. Maybe if the controls were a little bit tighter, I'd go as far as to call it one of the best games of the 1987 era.

wpugh2424
09-19-2016, 11:47 PM
With a little practice this game was awesome in terms of difficult gameplay.
I agree jumping was an issue as well as respawning of enemies.
It would have been nice for more familiar characters to appear. I beat this game last year after hours of play but I only did it cause I had many scrolls.