PDA

View Full Version : IDW to Lauch Back To The Future Comic Series

MikeandRaph87
07-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Catching the nostalgia train at 88 mph is Back To The Future. As we are now in the future of 2015 and the 30th anniversary and despite Bob Gale's insistence among others BTTF will be continued in comic form. A couple of familiar names are attached to the project such as Erik Burnham that drops on Back To The Future Day on October 21st.
https://games.yahoo.com/news/idw-publish-back-future-comic-222200963.html

Powder
07-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Cool! I won't end up following these (for cost purposes, I don't quite love the series enough to throw up $4.25 a month on it) but I'm sure it will be top notch. Burnham is one of IDW's best & he did a stellar job with Ghostbusters.

TigerClaw
07-09-2015, 01:51 PM
That's cool, Though there was a Back to the Future comic many years ago, I have it somewhere.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Based on this alone, I would almost be tempted to check it out. I have a soft spot for BTTF, and this sounds really awesome! Not only that, but I've been pretty impressed with the IDW titles I've read so far, so I think it might be worth the read.

Leo656
07-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Maaaaan I don't wanna have to work comics back into my budget but I definitely want to support this. It's ONLY one of my like, 3 favorite movie series EVER. Man, me and my brother in law used to work together, and we'd just do Back to the Future quotes back and forth all day.

Pissed everyone right the f*ck off, it did. :lol: Yeah, I might get this.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-09-2015, 11:36 PM
LOL! You sound like my other half with his Boondock Saints quotes. Actually, he's fond of just randomly quoting movies in regular conversation. Funny thing is, it's always something that fits the general subject at hand, so it's funny when he does it. Heck, we've been known to carry on whole convos with nothing but movie quotes!

Leo656
07-10-2015, 12:43 AM
Yeah, us too. We're insufferable, my wife and I. Nobody can stand our constant non-stop inside jokes and random non sequitors. It's like a secret language, clipped together from comic books, song titles, Family Guy and Simpsons quotes, and lines from Every Movie Ever, sometimes all of them in the same three minute conversation. People nearby have no idea what the hell is going on, while we just laugh.

Gets weird.

oldmanwinters
07-10-2015, 03:01 PM
October 21, 2015, eh?

Clever, girl.

6Tf8mPsvcOs

How convenient for comic book distribution that that historic date falls on a Wednesday once again!

MikeandRaph87
07-17-2015, 05:30 PM
On October 21st BTTF will return for a one night encore. Hope a theatre close to gets it for the theatre experience.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/back-to-the-future-back-to-the-theaters-124344898907.html

Also, it appears the comic book is a mini opposed to ongoing going by solicits for October.

CyberCubed
07-17-2015, 11:09 PM
Man, they make comics about anything these days don't they? I would have thought this would die out after the 90's when far less people started to read comics. I'm surprised licensed comics of movies still exist.

sdp
07-18-2015, 07:15 PM
I recently watched the trilogy again, hadn't watched them since I was a kid. The first movie is truly genius. The second one while not as good and retreading similar ground still has plenty of genius scenes. I know part III is highly regarded by a lot of fans on the internet but I still find it boring and lackluster. I was in a BTTF kick so I also "saw" the recent videogame "movie" and while a cute story, that's all it is. I also checked out the cartoon and the concept was also cute and worked for what it was an early 90s cartoon. I think this comic will fall in that "cute/amusing" territory.

Man, they make comics about anything these days don't they? I would have thought this would die out after the 90's when far less people started to read comics. I'm surprised licensed comics of movies still exist.

Well, why do you think this comic is based on BTTF and not an actual recent movie? These comics pander to the only demographic still reading comics which are kids from the 80s, that was the last generation that had a lot of kid comicbook readers. So yeah if you notice all the licensed comics that are going on are things that appeal to 80s kids.

chrisdude
07-21-2015, 07:55 PM
This was my favorite news out of Comic Con, and I can't wait to read it. The characters are so much fun, and we know they can be done justice not having to worry about casting and such. It also sounds like they're exploring the unknowns of BTTF, instead of just sending Marty back to the dinosaurs or forward to Star Trek times just because they can.

I'm still not opposed to a remake...

MsMarvelDuckie
07-29-2015, 11:33 PM
I recently watched the trilogy again, hadn't watched them since I was a kid. The first movie is truly genius. The second one while not as good and retreading similar ground still has plenty of genius scenes. I know part III is highly regarded by a lot of fans on the internet but I still find it boring and lackluster. I was in a BTTF kick so I also "saw" the recent videogame "movie" and while a cute story, that's all it is. I also checked out the cartoon and the concept was also cute and worked for what it was an early 90s cartoon. I think this comic will fall in that "cute/amusing" territory.

Well, why do you think this comic is based on BTTF and not an actual recent movie? These comics pander to the only demographic still reading comics which are kids from the 80s, that was the last generation that had a lot of kid comicbook readers. So yeah if you notice all the licensed comics that are going on are things that appeal to 80s kids.

Have you been to a FCBD lately? Seriously, older comic readers aren't the only ones running rampant through the isles to get the latest releases! My local library does it here, and MOST of the participants are in the under 13 age bracket. They do an entire event thing, with activities, fun demos, and club recruiting for the anime/otaku club, the RPG group, etc. I'm usually one of the oldest people in there, by MANY years. The oldest ones I usually see are around 20, IF that.

sdp
08-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Well yeah that's the purpose of FCBD, to get people who don't read comics into them but it hasn't made a huge impact. Kids don't read comics, this is a fact. Just because you find a few hundred kids in a comic book convention doesn't mean kids in general read comics because they don't.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-04-2015, 02:25 AM
This is in a small town where there's literally NOTHING to do. But the anime/manga club at the same library is pretty strong, and it's almost nothing BUT kids on FCBD. And in spite of being limited to two books, they still come in and get them. I'm usually one of the FEW adults actually going in there FOR the comics! (As opposed to adults who are dragged along by their kids wanting to go.) And the last few times I've been to one at the nearest comic shop- about 45 miles away- there were quite a few kids there, too. Trust me, they DO read them. Especially the "cool" comics like Batman, Avengers, and Spider-Man. Some even stick with it.