PDA

View Full Version : Sonic the Hedgehog's Future

Mew
07-12-2015, 04:09 PM
So, recently we have had a bunch of crappy Sonic games. :tgrumble: I wonder what his future will be like. I think it's dead. It seems like Sega is beating the dead horse into the ground, which sucks because Sonic could be good again. All you really have to do is go back to the original formula: Going fast in 2-D. It could be like the New Super Mario Bros. series. Same overall gameplay with a few new elements and updated graphics. :teek: And forget Sonic Boom ever existed. That sucked. Or they could make an actually good 3-D Sonic game. That's not impossible, but Sega seems to think it is, seeing how bad the games are.

Turo602
07-12-2015, 04:21 PM
The Sonic Boom series is terrible but the last real Sonic game was pretty good. It's a shame people were really mixed on Lost World because that's a direction I'd love to see them stick with in the future.

Leo656
07-12-2015, 04:25 PM
They already did Sonic 4. It was "old school" and great and nobody cared.

Honestly, they could make the greatest Sonic Game Ever like tomorrow and it won't change anything. The franchise's reputation has been irreparably damaged , to the point where even the good games are dismissed out of hand. Forevermore, it's just going to be a franchise for kids full of games of poor-to-average quality, with an occasional game that's actually Good, like Generations, that nobody will care about because "It's Sonic, Thus Crap".

Anyone wants to "save" the franchise, they'd better build a time machine. It is what it is, now.

sdp
07-12-2015, 04:32 PM
"recently" we've had crappy Sonic games. Aren't pretty much all games starting with Sonic Adventure considered crap by the general consensus? So since 1999 they've been crappy. You can even go back as far and say Sonic 1-3 are the only good Sonic games since Sega whoring out sonic is nothing new, just look at all the Sonic games released in the 90s. In fact it was recently that Sonic was getting "better" with "colors/generations" bringing good word of mouth. With Sega focusing on mobile games now Sonic's future doesn't look bright but you never know, I read an interview last week that Sega was learning a lot from Atlus and how a quality game can sell itself and that maybe they haven't taken as much care of their properties as they should've, who knows if any of that actually comes to fruition.

oldmanwinters
07-12-2015, 04:35 PM
With Sega's state as a company these days, who knows? Personally, I really enjoyed Sonic Lost World on Wii U in spite of its steep learning curve.

But if you are curious about Sonic's future, it has been explored once or twice...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/0000001409_zpseqfo3lxx.png (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/0000001409_zpseqfo3lxx.png.html)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/138CA3D27B8_zpsst7ly1pg.png (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/138CA3D27B8_zpsst7ly1pg.png.html)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/138D7E108B6_zpskksvi36g.png (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/138D7E108B6_zpskksvi36g.png.html)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/Meme%20Options/TrollFace.jpg_zpscidr6xzg.png (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/Meme%20Options/TrollFace.jpg_zpscidr6xzg.png.html)

Powder
07-12-2015, 04:35 PM
If Sonic's arms continue to be blue, there will be no future for him!!!!1!

oldmanwinters
07-12-2015, 05:00 PM
If Sonic's arms continue to be blue, there will be no future for him!!!!1!

They need to get rid of the green eyes and bring back his pot belly!!! :lol:

sdp
07-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Actually that Sonic's future is no longer canon ;)

I actually don't understand the hate for Sonic getting blue arms, it's not that radical of a change.

Mew
07-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Actually that Sonic's future is no longer canon ;)

I actually don't understand the hate for Sonic getting blue arms, it's not that radical of a change.
I agree. I like the tan arms more tho.

oldmanwinters
07-12-2015, 07:14 PM

Heh, kids have been coloring them wrongly for years! I suppose it was only fitting that it got made alternative canon!

BTW, yeah, I've read the current Archie comic post-Genesis/Worlds Collide, so I know the continuity has gotten a major reset. But I think the Mobius 25 Years Later project was always intended to be "one possible future among many." Honestly, I hate that whole storyline. It just felt like Ken Penders's own personal playground to develop his anthropomorphic echidna fan-fiction universe.

Peanut
07-12-2015, 07:39 PM

It's a running gag because Chris-chan tried to start a boycott over it. Anyone jumping onto that bandwagon now doesn't realize they're being played for a fool.

Anyways, here's something to think about - Sonic was never very good. Just mull that over a bit.

Powder
07-12-2015, 08:00 PM
I was making a joke based on that. I didn't think it would go over anyone's head...

Allio
07-12-2015, 09:03 PM
just ask Ken Penders about Sonic's future, he will more than welcome the time of day

sdp
07-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Oh, I thought it was a legitimate concern, I guess for some people it really is since I never caught any sarcasm or trolling in posts. I don't keep up with Chris-Chan, last time I read about him was when he broke his Sonichu bracelet or the time he went on a date only to be cockblocked by a guy in an outfit and those were years ago I think.

Honestly, I hate that whole storyline. It just felt like Ken Penders's own personal playground to develop his anthropomorphic echidna fan-fiction universe.
Which from what I read online it was exactly that. Never read any Sonic Archie comics but I still thought it was oddly amusing to follow that story, can't believe Archie's lawyers lost. wow.

GoldMutant
07-12-2015, 10:52 PM
I don't know if anyone agrees, but I personally believe Sega should give the poor guy a break.

I get Sonic is a popular franchise, but considering the damages over the years, Sonic should be left away for a bit, at least game wise.

ssjup81
07-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Last month, I went to the 24th Sonic birthday celebration at Sega Joypolis in Odaiba. It was nice, but the game they were mostly promoting was Sonic Runners (which I already had anyway). Jun Senoue from Crush 40 was there and the music was awesome and we ran into by chance and we got a photo with him and he mentioned us on his Twitter! I also bought a new Sonic bag and yse it for work. Anyway, there was a decent turnout.

IMO, I think that no matter what Sega does, the fans will NEVER be satisfied and I think it's because they don't know WHAT they want and the community seems to be divided. It feels like Sonic fans are all over the place.

"We want something new!" *get a new style game*
"We hate that! We want the old Sonic style back!" *Sonic 4 is released*
"That game was so so, we want something unique!*. *Sonic Unleashed is released*

Etc.

So yeah, I don't feel it's Sega's fault for Sonic's multiple directions...I blame the fans.

Peanut
07-13-2015, 10:17 AM
IMO, I think that no matter what Sega does, the fans will NEVER be satisfied and I think it's because they don't know WHAT they want and the community seems to be divided. It feels like Sonic fans are all over the place.

So yeah, I don't feel it's Sega's fault for Sonic's multiple directions...I blame the fans.

The problem being that current day Sonic fans aren't Sonic fans because of the games and they simply aren't smart enough to realize that. People have nostalgia for the original games, but they're average at best. 2 is the best one (and my favourite) and half of that game is garbage. Because they have nostalgia for something that can't hold up, Sega makes similar and decent versions of that style of game - Sonic Advance, Sonic Rush, Sonic 4 (though this one has a lot of issues) and people aren't really feeling it, because...guess what? You can't recreate a feeling of quality that didn't exist in the first place. The people still clamoring for good Sonic games were children when the Genesis was out and they're asking for Sega to make something they've never ONCE done - make a great Sonic game.

They make "different" Sonic games in the style of Adventure, or Unleashed or whatever and the fans hate it, because it isn't well made or good enough. Why? Because they're fooling themselves into thinking Adventure of Adventure 2 were actually good games and not rose-tinted turds with semi-brilliant moments of automatic Sonic gameplay that pulled the wool over their eyes 15 years ago. Nostalgia (or sheer ignorance) won't allow people to realize their Sonic "holy grails", like 2,3,S&K and the Adventure series, actually aren't very good.

It doesn't help that every time Sega manages to do something decent with the series they find a way to completely ruin it. Generations is far and away the best Sonic game made in the last decade, perhaps of all-time, and the back half of that game is a f*cking train wreck! The last boss is among the worst I've ever played in ANY game.

Simply put, Sega caught lightning in a bottle with Sonic in the 90's. He was marketable, he was cool and he was backed up by a decent game that had enormous success based almost entirely on genius marketing, not because of quality. Mario became a huge success because the games were consistently excellent, not because Nintendo shoved him in kids faces and said "THIS IS COOL! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!" Now that Sonic is perhaps the furthest thing from "cool and marketable," Sega struggles to find any possible way to make him relevant to a general audience, hence nearly two decades worth of trash heap garbage with an increasingly irrelevant mascot slapped on it and confused fans who don't understand why Sega won't just make Sonic "good" again, when they've followed the status-quo and made those "good" Sonic games half a dozen times to absolutely ZERO fanfare.

LeotheLateBloomer
07-13-2015, 10:53 AM
I was making a joke based on that. I didn't think it would go over anyone's head...

Welcome to the Sonic fanbase!

Wesley
07-13-2015, 11:55 AM
The problem being that current day Sonic fans aren't Sonic fans because of the games and they simply aren't smart enough to realize that. People have nostalgia for the original games, but they're average at best. 2 is the best one (and my favourite) and half of that game is garbage. Because they have nostalgia for something that can't hold up, Sega makes similar and decent versions of that style of game - Sonic Advance, Sonic Rush, Sonic 4 (though this one has a lot of issues) and people aren't really feeling it, because...guess what? You can't recreate a feeling of quality that didn't exist in the first place. The people still clamoring for good Sonic games were children when the Genesis was out and they're asking for Sega to make something they've never ONCE done - make a great Sonic game.

They make "different" Sonic games in the style of Adventure, or Unleashed or whatever and the fans hate it, because it isn't well made or good enough. Why? Because they're fooling themselves into thinking Adventure of Adventure 2 were actually good games and not rose-tinted turds with semi-brilliant moments of automatic Sonic gameplay that pulled the wool over their eyes 15 years ago. Nostalgia (or sheer ignorance) won't allow people to realize their Sonic "holy grails", like 2,3,S&K and the Adventure series, actually aren't very good.

It doesn't help that every time Sega manages to do something decent with the series they find a way to completely ruin it. Generations is far and away the best Sonic game made in the last decade, perhaps of all-time, and the back half of that game is a f*cking train wreck! The last boss is among the worst I've ever played in ANY game.

Simply put, Sega caught lightning in a bottle with Sonic in the 90's. He was marketable, he was cool and he was backed up by a decent game that had enormous success based almost entirely on genius marketing, not because of quality. Mario became a huge success because the games were consistently excellent, not because Nintendo shoved him in kids faces and said "THIS IS COOL! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!" Now that Sonic is perhaps the furthest thing from "cool and marketable," Sega struggles to find any possible way to make him relevant to a general audience, hence nearly two decades worth of trash heap garbage with an increasingly irrelevant mascot slapped on it and confused fans who don't understand why Sega won't just make Sonic "good" again, when they've followed the status-quo and made those "good" Sonic games half a dozen times to absolutely ZERO fanfare.

I agree, Peanut. You put into words what I think of Sonic at the moment. I played the old genesis games for the first time in years recently. They're still fun to play, but they're not as good as I remembered them. I think their soundtrack makes them better than they actually are. Most of them were rushed out for release.

Mew
07-13-2015, 11:59 AM
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/sanicthehegehog/images/4/4d/Sanic.png/revision/latest?cb=20120624192518

Peanut
07-13-2015, 12:57 PM
You can't even contribute anything worth a damn to threads you create.

MisfitKraang
07-13-2015, 12:59 PM
It's pretty much the fan base that's killed sonic. Like really have you guys seen the creepy fan art, fan fiction, furries and of course CWC?!?! The list could go on and on, let Sonic die and let us remember it for what it was.

Wesley
07-13-2015, 02:52 PM
It's pretty much the fan base that's killed sonic. Like really have you guys seen the creepy fan art, fan fiction, furries and of course CWC?!?! The list could go on and on, let Sonic die and let us remember it for what it was.

Agreed. The fan base is broken. It didn't help that there were many different Sonic continuities made in the 90s like SatAM and Fleetway.

Mew
07-13-2015, 09:21 PM
You can't even contribute anything worth a damn to threads you create.
No, you just don't know the power of Sanic Hegehog.

ssjup81
07-13-2015, 11:19 PM
I agree, Peanut. You put into words what I think of Sonic at the moment. I played the old genesis games for the first time in years recently. They're still fun to play, but they're not as good as I remembered them. I think their soundtrack makes them better than they actually are. Most of them were rushed out for release.Guess it's a matter of opinion. Every time I play, I still get the same feeling I did when I was a kid. My heart still races when doing a water level and trying to find a bubble. i still get fired up in Sonic 3 when doing the bonus stage and an adrenaline rush when it speeds up. Oh and that feeling I got when veating Sonic 2 the first time at like 10 is nearly the same as now. *2 is my fav* The music also helps. The only downside is that I can't play on a Genesis anymore and have to resort to using an emulator. *Thinks*. Ok, I guess Sonic & Knuckles isn't as fun as I recall...

That aside, I can only partially agree with Peanut as I still feel the older games are good. I don't think I've ever played a Sonic game that I disliked, although granted, I haven't played as many as most have and I'm a very casual Sonic fan.

Getting down to it, at this point, I don't think it's the games that draw me to Sonic, but the characters themselves. I really like the Sonic characters.

Cryomancer
07-14-2015, 12:29 AM

As terrible as all those things are, none of them made Sega develop almost nothing but terrible Sonic games since the series's conception.

ssjup81
07-14-2015, 05:02 AM
As terrible as all those things are, none of them made Sega develop almost nothing but terrible Sonic games since the series's conception.I still feel it's because Sonic fans don't know what they actually want and the fact that we have many Sonic outlets and continuities splitting people.

Netkeeper
07-14-2015, 05:25 AM
I'm not sure if it's that Sonic fans don't know what they want, I think it's more of a divide of what they do want. As a whole, we cannot agree. I want more Sonic Adventure styled games. I liked the 3D thing, and I really think if Sega put their minds to it, they could figure out how to make it work better. I realise I'm in a minority with this opinion.

Some fans preferred the 2D sidescrolling, such as the classic levels in Generations. I'd be just fine with more games like that too, but whenever we get one, I'm disappointed because, again I'm a minority in that I like Sonic's friends and I want to play as them. I don't want to run through the whole game as just Sonic, it bores me. Tails and Knuckles were much more fun.

But a lot of people JUST want Sonic and they don't want the games to be bogged down with tons and tons of characters. The games that were more character-heavy like Heroes and 06 were indeed too much, but I think the two Adventure games did okay. I wouldn't want more than six unless it was some sort of spinoff [like Riders], and depending on the gameplay that may be too much as well. In a 2D sidescrolling Sonic I wouldn't want more than four. Sonic Advance pulled this off wonderfully. Sonic Rush did a great job too and it only had two.

There's a huge split in what people want and I don't run into many Sonic fans that can agree on anything. Like, I was even about to make a statement that Sega couldn't go wrong with a Generations-esque game but with the option to play as Sonic/Tails/both with an option for local or online players to take control of Tails... But not everyone will agree, even on an awesome concept like that.

I also think it'd be a very nice idea if they, perhaps, improved upon Lost World's formula and gave the option for a player 2 to pick up the Gamepad and control Tails, which eliminates the problem of player 2 losing track of Tails. I think this idea would work great on the 3DS as well. I'm really attached to that idea because I played a lot of Sonic 2 and unless you don't want all the Chaos Emeralds, you're finding someone to play Tails for you.

But y'know, more than any of that, can I just have a new Chao Garden? Online trading and competitions? Expanded garden capacity? New types, maybe? PLEASE?

Peanut
07-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Guess it's a matter of opinion. Every time I play, I still get the same feeling I did when I was a kid. My heart still races when doing a water level and trying to find a bubble. i still get fired up in Sonic 3 when doing the bonus stage and an adrenaline rush when it speeds up. Oh and that feeling I got when veating Sonic 2 the first time at like 10 is nearly the same as now. *2 is my fav* The music also helps. The only downside is that I can't play on a Genesis anymore and have to resort to using an emulator. *Thinks*. Ok, I guess Sonic & Knuckles isn't as fun as I recall...

That aside, I can only partially agree with Peanut as I still feel the older games are good. I don't think I've ever played a Sonic game that I disliked, although granted, I haven't played as many as most have and I'm a very casual Sonic fan.

Getting down to it, at this point, I don't think it's the games that draw me to Sonic, but the characters themselves. I really like the Sonic characters.

It's an opinion if you enjoy the games or not, sure, but you need to realize that you can like and be way into something that isn't great. You can still love something to death and admit that it is, objectively, not very good. You're saying you enjoy underwater Sonic levels, but they're mechanically abhorrent and almost universally despised. Take a step back and realize that while you have every right to enjoy it, that doesn't absolve it of all the missteps those levels take in terms of design and playability. I enjoy Tecmo Koei's musou games, but that doesn't mean they're good games. I'm also not saying the original series of Sonic games is bad, but they're the perfect example of decent games that are haunted by overblown nostalgic reverence that they don't deserve, which is why nothing Sega does will ever live up to them.

And your last point proves my previous opening statement accurate; a majority of Sonic fans these days are attracted to the franchise by the characters, something video game enthusiasts despise, because Sonic's sh*tty friends are synonymous with the perceived downfall of he series quality and integrity. That immediately creates an issue for Sega and it's continuously a battle for them to do anything that will please anybody.

I liked the 3D thing, and I really think if Sega put their minds to it, they could figure out how to make it work better.

I mean...they've been trying to do it for almost 20 years and they never once got it right. How many more times can they f*ck up the same thing before people realize it'll never work out? The best they've done are the modern Generations levels, and they're a simplified and straight forward version of the 3D on-rails stuff they were doing with the Wii games. They can't do the open-ended Adventures stuff, they just can't. Either they don't have the ability and skill, or Sonic just can't be properly adapted to that style. I think it's honestly both.

But a lot of people JUST want Sonic and they don't want the games to be bogged down with tons and tons of characters. The games that were more character-heavy like Heroes and 06 were indeed too much, but I think the two Adventure games did okay.

I don't think the issue is that the characters exist or are playable, as awful as they all are, but it's that their gameplay implementations are horrendous. If any of that stuff had been great (or even servicable) in Adventure, I don't think the "Sonic and his sh*tty friends" stigma would be hanging around today, but Sega absolutely sh*t the bed on all that stuff. People are way quicker to forget the good stuff (Generations has been entirely forgotten in the wake of Lost World and Sonic Boom) and way longer to forget Rogue The Bat.

LeotheLateBloomer
07-14-2015, 09:11 PM
Playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles combined. Still a fun classic!

oldmanwinters
07-15-2015, 08:10 AM
From Sonic's official YouTube channel:
Xhsj9J0BbqM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-segas-official-and-insane-sonic-shia-lebeouf/1100-6428895/

Umm...

Mew
07-15-2015, 09:17 AM
From Sonic's official YouTube channel:
Xhsj9J0BbqM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-segas-official-and-insane-sonic-shia-lebeouf/1100-6428895/

Umm...
I have to admit, that made me laugh.

Shiro Kame
07-15-2015, 12:05 PM
I'm a little worried about Sonic's future. Back then we got a lot of good stuff like SatAM, the OVA/movie, Sonic CD, and the Archie Comics (once they stopped making the comic a joke and were serious for once), Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic R, and Tails Adventure. For me at least, I think the 3D era is what started to kill off Sonic. The games stopped being fun starting sometime after Sonic Heroes. The designs after that became atrocious and too cartoony, gameplay was increasingly frustating, the series got rebooted into Sonic Boom, and the Penders' lawsuit caused the comics to be rebooted during a very good and exciting storyarc (I can feel Ian Flynnn's pain on having to scrap what you're writing due to a stupid copyright claim). While the comics are not bad, and I have seen at ONE decent episode of Sonic Boom, the future of Sonic doesn't seem to be going good. It might be deader than dead in a few years like Crash Bandicoot was due to the radical changes that Radical Entertainment put him through.

Cure
07-15-2015, 12:06 PM
I dunno about Sonic's future, but I know I've been giving his current show "Sonic Boom" a chance over the week. I don't think it's any good at all.

GoldMutant
07-15-2015, 12:17 PM
First of all, :lol: to Shia's DLC. Now watch, they're going to make him a Smash Bros character. I can already imagine his tagline:

Shia does it again!!!

In all seriousness though, I really have no problems with Sonic Heroes, Unleashed, Generations, or Colors. The first one I really like because of nostalgia, the second feels like a final game, and then the last two are pretty loved by a lot. I keep saying to give Sonic a rest, Sega I feel should experiment with their other franchises like Nights, try to increase interest to leave the blue blur down. I honestly want Sonic to rest, otherwise the legacy of the character will be infamous.

If there's a way to improve the series, why not go with a game with a tone of the 90s show (NOT THE GOOFY ONE) with some good comedy? Maybe mix in a style similar to Sonic Rush and possibly Generations with it's 3D. You could make your own character helping Sonic and his friends in this world trying to save all. I don't know if this would be a good game idea, but food for thought.

Mew
07-15-2015, 03:09 PM
I like Sonic Generations. I liked the classic style better, but the modern style was okay. I think it's one of the only good new Sonic games out there. I'm telling 'ya, the New Super Mario Bros. formula could work.

LeotheLateBloomer
07-16-2015, 08:08 AM
I dunno about Sonic's future, but I know I've been giving his current show "Sonic Boom" a chance over the week. I don't think it's any good at all.

It depends on tastes. I can see why some people don't like it but I find certain episodes to be either entertaining to meh. I enjoy it more than I enjoyed Sonic X.

Sega, in my opinion, should give their other franchises a chance. I would love to see a new Streets of Rage more than anything from them. But it's also a double edge sword when in North America, Sonic is their only IP that sells. How much would the All-Stars Racing sell if it didn't have Sonic's name on the title? So I can see why Sega releases so many Sonic games but I also believe that they have to try to give another IP a shot.

TMNT_Guy
07-18-2015, 01:25 PM
they're the perfect example of decent games that are haunted by overblown nostalgic reverence that they don't deserve, which is why nothing Sega does will ever live up to them.

I think it has more to with the fact that Sega dosen’t have the time and budget to create a game that people want. Just look at the reputation of the fan games out there; Sonic Fan Remix (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9SEM0FuJY) had several websites like Kotaku and Wired asking why the official Sonic 4 didn’t look as good. Sonic After the Sequel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic%3A_After_the_Sequel) got a lot of praise…it was even popular enough to have it’s own article on Wikipedia. Even the Sonic-styled original game, Freedom Planet, has received lot of praise from critics.

Ignoring that, Sonic's reputation from 2010 to 2013 was improving with games like Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed…and then Sonic Lost World and almost everything Sonic Boom happened.

I think the series reputation can be fixed, but it would take years of constant successful games to do it and Sega's own reputation leaves doubt on that ever happening. There is hope, Sega has stated that they plan to stop rushing games out (http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/07/sega-learned-about-making-quality-games-from-atlus-aim-to-regain-trust-from-players/) and Sonic Team (Sonic Lost World was made by a different team) hasn’t made a Sonic game since Sonic Generations in 2011. Everyone is expecting a game from them in 2016 to celebrate Sonic’s 25th anniversary, so let’s wait and see what the future brings.

LeotheLateBloomer
07-21-2015, 07:10 PM
I like Sonic Generations. I liked the classic style better, but the modern style was okay. I think it's one of the only good new Sonic games out there. I'm telling 'ya, the New Super Mario Bros. formula could work.

They already tried that. It's called Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Speaking of the Sonic Boom TV series, what's wrong with it?

Shiro Kame
08-14-2015, 12:26 AM
They already tried that. It's called Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Speaking of the Sonic Boom TV series, what's wrong with it?

First of all, it's filled with idiotic plots, the characters (especially Knuckles) have been dumbed down a lot, and it overdoses on the comedy but underdoses on the plot and action. It feels like a really, really bad Nick/Disney sitcom or Sonic fanfiction. And don't get me started on Shadow, who feels like a Vegeta ripoff now...

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog may have been really stupid, but at least I could take Robotnik somewhat seriously (like in the episode where he nearly succeeds in blowing up major Mobian transports [an airport, a train crossing control centre, and a lighthouse]). This one...he becomes roomies with Sonic and Tails, and tries to be Sonic's sidekick. (Seriously? What the shell were they thinking?)

This show is almost as bad as Teen Titans GO! .

ssjup81
08-14-2015, 03:01 AM
It's an opinion if you enjoy the games or not, sure, but you need to realize that you can like and be way into something that isn't great. You can still love something to death and admit that it is, objectively, not very good.Of course I can, and I have. *coughs*OT*coughs* :-P Just kidding, but seriously, I can be objective about things I like and even I can admit when something isn't particularly good even if I do like it....like say...Commando. *dodges objects* That movie is beyond stupid...but I like it. lol Even the first turtles movie, which I think is the best of them (I haven't seen the Michael Bay one so can't say for that one...I've only seen the original 3 and the 2k7 one), still had its flaws. You're saying you enjoy underwater Sonic levels,No I didn't. ^^ I said that I still get the same feeling I did when I originally played. Never said I actually liked them.but they're mechanically abhorrent and almost universally despised.Yeah, and I can see why. The water levels are nuts. Interesting how Sonic & Knuckles lacked them. lolTake a step back and realize that while you have every right to enjoy it, that doesn't absolve it of all the missteps those levels take in terms of design and playability. I enjoy Tecmo Koei's musou games, but that doesn't mean they're good games. I'm also not saying the original series of Sonic games is bad, but they're the perfect example of decent games that are haunted by overblown nostalgic reverence that they don't deserve, which is why nothing Sega does will ever live up to them.Meh, I still think the games are decent...easy to get through. Are they perfect, nope, but still enjoyable, I feel.And your last point proves my previous opening statement accurate; a majority of Sonic fans these days are attracted to the franchise by the characters, something video game enthusiasts despise, because Sonic's sh*tty friends are synonymous with the perceived downfall of he series quality and integrity. That immediately creates an issue for Sega and it's continuously a battle for them to do anything that will please anybody.Yeah, but I also still feel that the fact that there are multiple mediums involving the Sonic characters kind of plays into that too. Due to the comics and the animated series that have been put out, these characters have gotten exposure outside of the games. People like the characters.

I haven't played every Sonic game...far from it, but the ones I have played have been okay I guess...but because of my exposure to mediums other than the games, I like the characters.

Either way, Sega will always have trouble marketing Sonic, imo. Fans are just all over the place. I was surprised people disliked Sonic 4. I personally liked it. Just felt like another Sonic game to me...

Oh, sorry I was late with this. I'm finally using my laptop again. It's easier to type than to sit around on a phone answering this kind of post. ^^;

Cure
08-14-2015, 11:31 AM
aLvgx44T-k4

Prowler
08-14-2015, 03:46 PM
They already did Sonic 4. It was "old school" and great and nobody cared.

Honestly, they could make the greatest Sonic Game Ever like tomorrow and it won't change anything. The franchise's reputation has been irreparably damaged , to the point where even the good games are dismissed out of hand. Forevermore, it's just going to be a franchise for kids full of games of poor-to-average quality, with an occasional game that's actually Good, like Generations, that nobody will care about because "It's Sonic, Thus Crap".

Anyone wants to "save" the franchise, they'd better build a time machine. It is what it is, now.
Honestly, looking back, it's kinda hard to believe that Sonic and Sega have once given Mario and Nintendo a run for their money. I still firmly believe that SMW is better than any of the Genesis Sonic games, but Sonic 2 was a great game. 3 was good too but not as great, since the long stages dragged on a bit. 1 hasn't aged that well, imo. I honestly can't stand the 2nd zone of that game(Marble Zone?). But nevertheless, it's still not a bad game.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-14-2015, 03:52 PM
First of all, it's filled with idiotic plots, the characters (especially Knuckles) have been dumbed down a lot, and it overdoses on the comedy but underdoses on the plot and action. It feels like a really, really bad Nick/Disney sitcom or Sonic fanfiction. And don't get me started on Shadow, who feels like a Vegeta ripoff now...

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog may have been really stupid, but at least I could take Robotnik somewhat seriously (like in the episode where he nearly succeeds in blowing up major Mobian transports [an airport, a train crossing control centre, and a lighthouse]). This one...he becomes roomies with Sonic and Tails, and tries to be Sonic's sidekick. (Seriously? What the shell were they thinking?)

This show is almost as bad as Teen Titans GO! .

Would you say that this is the worst Sonic cartoon and did you like any of the other ones?

Prowler
08-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Sonic cartoons? The only one that I've liked was that episodic comedy Sonic cartoon, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Never cared about Sonic Satam and much less about Sonic Underground.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-14-2015, 04:25 PM
And Sonic X?

Prowler
08-14-2015, 04:29 PM
And Sonic X?
I watched like 2 episodes of that back in the day, but don't remember it very well. It was back in the 4Kids TMNT days, wasn't it? I believe there was also a Kirby show on air made by Fox at the time. But the only one of those shows that I actually watched was TMNT.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-14-2015, 07:20 PM
I watched like 2 episodes of that back in the day, but don't remember it very well. It was back in the 4Kids TMNT days, wasn't it? I believe there was also a Kirby show on air made by Fox at the time. But the only one of those shows that I actually watched was TMNT.

Yes it was. I actually enjoyed the Kirby cartoon.

ssjup81
08-14-2015, 07:37 PM
I have never seen Sonic Underground...only know of it. Think I've seen pretty much all of the other ones though, including that OAV from the 90s...but not sure how the English version was. I liked Knuckles' hat. lol

So I've seen...

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM)
Sonic X
Sonic Boom

I actually liked all of them to some extent. I've only seen Sonic X in Japanese...but I always hear people bashing the dub. Not sure if my opinion would be different or not if I'd seen the dub of it. I liked it for what it was. Liked that they featured stuff from the Sonic Adventure games, Sonic Battle (I liked this game, personally), and probably some others. As for Chris. First season he was okay. Didn't mind him. Second season, his presence felt terribly forced and I hated that he seemed to have an actual obsession with Sonic.

After Sonic left at the end of season 2, he spent the next few years of his life trying to meet with him again. I could see Chris being like this if he was like say...Timmy Turner, but he had a stable homelife, his parents were busy at times, but they always tried their best to make time for him and weren't neglectful, he had his grandfather, he had good friends, he wasn't bullied, etc. Just felt strange to me.

Season 3, I didn't mind Chris again because his presence didn't feel as forced as it did for season 2 as the majority of season 3 was mainly about Tails anyway. Didn't care for Cosmo as a character and found her highly uninteresting and wished they could've done more with Cream actually...but oh well. Felt bad for Tails, though...He had to kill Cosmo, despite his romantic liking towards her, and her liking towards him to save everyone. It actually reminded me of that scene in Outlaw Star, where Jim killed the girl he liked and had become friends with, without even knowing it.

Let's see, Sonic Boom... I like the show for what it is. I like the dry-witted, ironic humor the show has. I still don't care for the fact that Knuckles is literally an idiot, but it is another dimension and universe separate from the other iterations and dumb Knuckles actually works for Sonic Boom's universe. They did an episode about a parallel dimension. For that dimension, Sonic was the idiot, Amy seemed to like Knuckles (subtly hinted), and Knuckles wasn't an idiot and leader of the team.

Eggman in Sonic Boom...hit or miss character. Sometimes I'm cool with him, other times I'm....meh. I wish he had more motivation for wanting to attack Sonic and his friends and an actual reason why. If he wants to conquer the entire world (like in the games, mostly), why keep attacking the same island? Why go there and shop? Why go there to eat at the fastfood restaurant? Junk like that. Either way I like Sonic Boom okay.

My favorite toon overall though out of that list is the Sonic SatAM show.

oldmanwinters
08-16-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm just gonna leave this here:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/14/9157555/my-roommate-sonic-oculus-rift-vr-sonic-dreams-collection-gameplay-video

EDIT: Aw, Cure beat me to it!

Coola Yagami
09-05-2015, 11:37 PM
Honestly, looking back, it's kinda hard to believe that Sonic and Sega have once given Mario and Nintendo a run for their money. I still firmly believe that SMW is better than any of the Genesis Sonic games, but Sonic 2 was a great game. 3 was good too but not as great, since the long stages dragged on a bit. 1 hasn't aged that well, imo. I honestly can't stand the 2nd zone of that game(Marble Zone?). But nevertheless, it's still not a bad game.

I think it was the 'cool, edgey, EXTREEEEEMEEE!!!111' attitude of the 90's that helped too, at least at first. Sonic was cool, he had attitude, he had an arrogant smirk, cool sneakers and whatnot. Mario was basically a fat old guy in overalls. Back then Nintendo was marketed as family friendly, the Genesis was marketed as more awesome and hardcore. Even the music made the difference. Sonic had more of a rockin soundtrack while Mario was more cutesy. Super Mario World continued with the cuteness while Sonic and Tails used attitude and 'blast processing' to become strong competition.

LeotheLateBloomer
09-06-2015, 09:47 AM
I think it was the 'cool, edgey, EXTREEEEEMEEE!!!111' attitude of the 90's that helped too, at least at first. Sonic was cool, he had attitude, he had an arrogant smirk, cool sneakers and whatnot. Mario was basically a fat old guy in overalls. Back then Nintendo was marketed as family friendly, the Genesis was marketed as more awesome and hardcore. Even the music made the difference. Sonic had more of a rockin soundtrack while Mario was more cutesy. Super Mario World continued with the cuteness while Sonic and Tails used attitude and 'blast processing' to become strong competition.

Pretty much!

Although characters such as Cream and Cheese sort of makes me questions the whole cool and edgy feel to the series. I really wish Sega would stop adding so many characters.

Coola Yagami
09-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Pretty much!

Although characters such as Cream and Cheese sort of makes me questions the whole cool and edgy feel to the series. I really wish Sega would stop adding so many characters.

Yeah... it's overkill. Even though nowadays Mario has a crapload of characters too. One thing, if any, I liked about the sillier cartoon show was that it was all about Sonic and Tails stopping Robotnik's plans. Just like the games. The other cartoon and the comic confused the hell out of me with all of these stupid made-up characters I didn't really care about... and then Tails, you know, the guy actually IN the game, ended up having a bit part.

LeotheLateBloomer
09-06-2015, 10:25 AM
It's strange because I don't mind the numerous characters in Mario games because they all have their own charm to them. But with Sonic characters, I can't explain it. Some of the new ones just drag the series down for an otherwise "cool and edgy" series.

Prowler
09-07-2015, 10:34 PM
Those are some good points. While I've always preferred Mario games to Sonic games, I guess Sonic's character in the cartoon Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was more relatable to me as a kid at the time, kinda like the Ninja Turtles looked like the cool older kids at school.

Not to mention there was a lot less competition back in the day. Sonic came out in a time where Sony and Microsoft still weren't in the console market so he had less big names to compete with. I