PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Satoru Iwata

TigerClaw
07-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Some sad news, The President of Nintendo Satoru Iwata has died at the age of 55 years old.
http://kotaku.com/nintendos-president-has-passed-away-1717386412

PangolinFeets
07-12-2015, 06:06 PM
I just read this. He was only 55. So sad. :(

Powder
07-12-2015, 06:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2D3VT.gif

This is terrible news. :(

oldmanwinters
07-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Awful to hear that. All things considered, he accomplished a tremendous amount in a relatively short time span. I'm not a big Balloon Fight fan, but it's cool that was where he formed his roots in the company.

sdp
07-12-2015, 06:17 PM
I was suspicious about it since his drastic weight loss that we saw over a year ago and two missed E3s. My heart skipped a beat when I read the news; He wasn't just the president of a company that I love, he became a personality which inspired and entertained me. As much bone headed decisions Nintendo made they were all Nintendo decisions and I fear that Nintendo won't be the same without him (for better or worse). I can't see myself enjoying any direct as much as I did without it being presented by him. RIP.

Powder
07-12-2015, 06:19 PM
Well said.

Turo602
07-12-2015, 06:29 PM
OMG, I just saw this and my heart dropped. Such terrible news. I wish his family and friends the best.

Peanut
07-12-2015, 06:33 PM
I saw this news and immediately got a lump in my throat. We all knew he wasn't well, but it still comes as such a shock to hear. Nintendo will never be the same, but it's not even remotely the first thing that comes to mind for me right now. He was so young. F*ck. Just trying to write this and think of something to say has actually brought me pretty close to tears a few times.

Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata. You're one of my heroes and I'll remember you for the rest of my life.

http://www.abload.de/img/miyamotog8du7.gif

Edit: I hope they retire Nintendo Direct and everything to do with his "directly to you" hand motion. I don't know if I could bring myself to watch another one.

Ninjinister
07-12-2015, 06:54 PM
I won't lie, I've been unsuccessful in fighting back tears a few times now. There's never been a man in this world quite like Iwata and there never will be again.

LeotheLateBloomer
07-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Aw man, I just found this out at least 3 minutes ago. What really hurts more is that I think his last words we heard from him were that he apologized for this year's E3. :cry:

snake
07-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Goddamn.

I can't believe this.

Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata.

Cure
07-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Where he is now, there's no one being an asshole to him online.

Storm Eagle
07-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Well this came out of nowhere. R.I.P. Iwata-san.

HotJuicyBurgers
07-12-2015, 08:27 PM
He really did cultivate the kind of culture that kept me on as a huge Nintendo fan. This is a shame. Everything I've ever heard or read of the man leads me to believe he was an outstanding individual. He will be missed greatly by many.

Edit: I hope they retire Nintendo Direct and everything to do with his "directly to you" hand motion. I don't know if I could bring myself to watch another one.

I agree. It won't be the same unless he is with us directly.

TigerClaw
07-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Yeah, The video game industry has lost one of the most important figures, Without him, the industry wouldn't be where it's at today.

raph27
07-12-2015, 08:42 PM
That... that just came out of nowhere. :(

Rest in peace, Iwata-san. You will be missed by many.

oldmanwinters
07-12-2015, 08:59 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/MarioSalutes_zpsqbutdij9.png (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/MarioSalutes_zpsqbutdij9.png.html)

Netkeeper
07-12-2015, 10:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HcjH4xt.gif

You guys can fight back tears all you like, this is too hard a blow and I'm not strong enough to handle this. To me, Nintendo isn't just a company, it's THE company. I loved Iwata.

ssjup81
07-12-2015, 10:45 PM
I'm still shocked. I didn't know he was sick, but I also didn't watch that Nintendo Direct stuff and didn't know about his missing E3. So sad...he was so young. Maybe if I actually watched the Japanese news, I would've learned of this maybe yesterday.

Mayhem
07-13-2015, 01:16 AM
We knew he had taken time off last year for health reasons, which I'm guessing was because of this. But after this E3, you wouldn't have really known, he seemed fine, despite the pounding the company took in the media. Wow, this is a bit shocking. Nintendo really managed to keep this under wraps.

Thank you for your games (even the really early ones such as Star Battle on the Vic20!) and your leadership, you will be missed :(

Prowler
07-13-2015, 01:52 AM
Damn, that sucks. RIP

Bry
07-13-2015, 01:59 AM
Still just stunned by this. He was such a presence in Nintendo (and the industry) and had his fingerprints on so many great games and franchises. He clearly cared an absolute ton about the company and what it represented, and about the games being the best they could, and it's impossible to think of Nintendo without him.

ObiWanFan4life
07-13-2015, 03:08 AM
Considering everything he accomplished during his tenure, he died too soon. RIP

Storm Eagle
07-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Even Sony is paying their respects.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/620412765849546752

Mew
07-13-2015, 08:20 AM
:(:(:(:(:(
I am sads.
:(:(:(:(:(

TigerClaw
07-13-2015, 08:41 AM
The video game community pays tribute to Iwata.
http://kotaku.com/the-video-game-community-pays-tribute-to-satoru-iwata-1717397315

Peanut
07-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Nintendo's update of Iwata's picture. He lost so much weight. Spoilered cause it's huge.

http://abload.de/img/iwatajbjh2.jpg
There's some truly cringe-worthy and disrespectful sh*t out there today, but it's completely drowned out by an outpouring of love from an entire industry. There was a rainbow over Nintendo's Japan HQ today and everything. One of my favourites is a little something Ito wrote for Iwata...

No matter the farewell, I think the most appropriate thing to say is “we”ll meet again.” We are friends so we”ll see each other again. There is nothing strange about saying it. Yeah. We’ll meet again.

Even if you didn’t have the chance to put into words how sudden it was going to be, how far you’d be traveling, or how you went much earlier than expected, I know you went wearing your best.

You always put yourself second to others no matter what, helping anyone who needed it whenever they needed it. You were that kind of friend. Although you may have been a little selfish for the first time ever by taking this journey.

The truth is though that I still don’t believe any of it. I feel like I am going to receive a message from you inviting me out to eat at any moment. I wouldn’t mind if you were to ask me like always if I had some free time. If you did, I’d ask you as well.

Still, “we’ll meet again.” It would be great to hear from you whenever and wherever; I’ll being calling to you too. I’ll call if I have something to discuss or I want to tell you a great new idea I’ve had.
We’ll meet again.

And I'm not one to get overly emotional in general, especially to artwork people put up on the Internet after a passing of this magnitude, but I have to admit that this one is the one that finally got me.

http://i.imgur.com/oneO2oL.jpg

Brutal. Absolutely brutal.

TigerClaw
07-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Nintendo's update of Iwata's picture. He lost so much weight. Spoilered cause it's huge.

http://abload.de/img/iwatajbjh2.jpg
There's some truly cringe-worthy and disrespectful sh*t out there today, but it's completely drowned out by an outpouring of love from an entire industry. There was a rainbow over Nintendo's Japan HQ today and everything. One of my favourites is a little something Ito wrote for Iwata...

And I'm not one to get overly emotional in general, especially to artwork people put up on the Internet after a passing of this magnitude, but I have to admit that this one is the one that finally got me.

Yeah, It's cringe-worthy ****, like stuff posted on an Iwata parody account, Which makes me feel ashamed of being a part of a certain gaming community.
https://twitter.com/SaturoIwata/with_replies

Iwata means so much to so many people.

Peanut
07-13-2015, 10:02 AM
Ugh. That twitter is disgusting. I think aside from asshole remarks, the manchildren (or legit children) out there dealing with this in the most childish (my feels) ways piss me off the most. I understand there are people who haven't dealt with personal loss before in any context, but they're so brain dead they don't get how offensive their Internet bullsh*t is, no matter how well meaning they think their awful pictures and Internet slang-laden stores are.

If I see another 1up comment...god help me.

Also, a great story and perfect comment on a Eurogamer piece on Iwata.

There's a wonderful story about him patrolling the shop floor at Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters prior to the Wii U's release, being shown the line-up for the console's impending launch in his role as the company's president. He paused on Balloon Trip Breeze, a mini-game within Nintendo Land which paid tribute to Balloon Fight, the 1984 game on which Iwata acted as programmer. Noticing something wasn't quite right with the feel of the characters as they flapped their way across the screen, he astonished everyone present as he set about fixing it - the head of the company rolling his sleeves up and getting stuck into the code.
That's a clever story to include - the gamer that recognised how the control didn't feel right, the CEO who recognised the need to change the product, and the programmer that had the ability to do so.

He truly was one in a million. Not just in this industry, but in the world. A CEO of a multi-billion dollar company getting down to grunt labor in the middle of a huge product launch? Only Iwata.

And just a few fun facts about him for people who didn't know - Iwata worked his way up out of HAL when it was just a start-up and completely separate from Nintendo. While working in upper management, he took the time to lead debug on Melee to ensure it made its release date. He stepped up and reprogrammed Earthbound, from scratch, because it wasn't up to snuff. He walked in on the development of Pokemon G&S, condensed the entire code down and allowed Gamefreak to fit all of Kanto into the game as a bonus. Speaking of Pokemon, he coded the entire battle system for Pokemon Stadium on N64 without any references...alone.

Dude was amazing. I think he even coded the Stadium stuff while he was president of HAL.

Edit: Great quote from Iwata about the Earthbound thing. lol

We can keep working on [Earthbound] with what we currently have and finish it in two years, or you can throw it all away and let me rewrite it from scratch and end up with a better game in one. You decide.

Metalwolf
07-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Wow :( RIP

Wesley
07-13-2015, 10:42 AM
RIP Satoru Iwata. I didn't know much about him, but I liked playing some of the games that he was involved with when I was younger.

Gunpowder
07-13-2015, 12:04 PM

I only had to look at that for a few seconds before my sight got blurry... And that was before I even noticed the "Thank You" at the top. :( So sad. He was too young.

raph27
07-13-2015, 01:43 PM
I was playing Kirby's Epic Yarn today in his honor since he was the executive producer and I beat the game. Seeing his name in the credits was sad enough, but after the credits the feels really kicked in. The scene's at 4:40.
Sj_vBJ_0oI8

SophieDem
07-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Although I'm not a gamer he was the founder and father of many things. I'm sorry for this loss. :(

May he rest in peace.

TheCanadiandrome
07-13-2015, 04:47 PM
was very saddened to hear the news

billbot85
07-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Very sad to hear this. Iwata was an awesome president, and it was great hearing all of those stories of how much he helped the company. That pic of him hugging everyone that Peanut shared hit me right in the feels. Had to share it on fb myself. My thoughts go out to his friends and family. He will be truly missed.

Peanut
07-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Great (and ultimately heartbreaking) translated story from a Yoot Saito (creator of Seaman and Odama) blog post.

I heard the tragic news about the passing of Nintendo’s president, Iwata-san… I can’t believe he's gone.

I first met Iwata-san back in 1996, so it was a time before you would typically see him in a suit. It was at HAL in Kofu. I remember that he always carried around a Mac (PowerBook), which was quite rare in the games industry. I think that formed a bit of connection between us—a feeling that we shared the same interests. It was around the year after that when I saw him with a G3 PowerBook, which even I had hesitated to buy, and I remember thinking, “this guy really loves Macs.”

It wasn’t until a bit later that I got a chance to work with him. It was around the time when Seaman was taking the world by storm and I was really busy working on planning for the sequel and taking interviews and such.

Iwata-san got in touch and asked if we could meet, and he even came all the way out to the apartment I was renting in Tokyo to see me.

As anyone who has met him probably understands, Iwata-san always has this aura about him that makes you feel happy and at ease. When you’re around him, you just feel good, even if you’re talking about work. That day, Iwata-san wasn’t in his typical casual garb, but had donned a blazer that he didn’t look quite comfortable in. He handed me his business card and awkwardly said, “this is what I’m up to these days.” I looked at the card and he had a title that named him as part of the Office of the President. He said that he had distanced himself from HAL (the company at which he got his start in the games industry) and was now helping out at Nintendo (HAL was under the umbrella of Nintendo).

“I’ve been given a special assignment to go out and get new types of games that haven’t been on Nintendo platforms before.” That’s the reason Iwata-san gave me for why he wanted to meet that day. He told me that Seaman was the kind of thing he was looking for. Thinking about it now, his role at this time was probably given to him as preparation for taking over management of Nintendo down the road, but it didn’t look like that was on his mind at all at the time.

To use a games industry expression, Seaman was a bit of a “guerilla-like” project even from the beginning, and no one, including myself, thought it would be a big hit, but I got a lot of good advice from Nintendo’s Miyamoto-san (and Tezuka-san), so I would show them the project even in the early planning stages and they would always look really intrigued by it. Before Seaman’s development on the Dreamcast began, I actually periodically had talks with Nintendo about making it for their platform. I think that background contributed to Iwata-san’s taking an interest in it. The game launched and did better than anyone could have imagined, constantly being sold out in stores. As a result, I got hit with the spotlight and received a lot of publicity. Iwata-san probably saw that and figured it would be a good idea to make friends with a game creator who could create weird games like Seaman.

- The DS and StreetPass
After that, I got the opportunity to do a lot of “experiments” with Nintendo. Most of them didn’t result in much, but we made a lot of prototypes of weird stuff. We even did things like make StreetPass-like technology on the GameBoy (not DS). I remember talking about things like, “Say you’re back in middle school. There’s a girl in your school whose name you don’t know. You always take the same train to school together. Can’t we come up with some good way to ask her out?”

This picture of Iwata-san is from that time (the board plugged in there is running a prototype program that we were working on).

When both the Nintendo DS and Wii were to be released, it was Iwata-san who made sure to quickly get in touch with me and demo the machines for me himself. He would always earnestly ask, “What kind of game would you make on this, Saito-san?” Iwata-san was always very courteous to everyone, and while he was a creator himself, he would never forget to show a great deal of respect to other creators.

When the DS came out, I went to Nintendo to receive a presentation for developers about the device. The developer support guy doing the presentation said, “That’s just about everything. Do you have any questions?” I asked him what he meant by “just about.” He replied, “There is one more new feature, but Iwata-san wanted to present that to you directly, so please wait here a moment.” I waited a bit and Iwata-san came down from the president’s office and tells me, “Saito-san, remember that StreetPass (it didn’t have this name at the time) feature we were working on? Well, it’s been implemented into the DS!” He then happily demonstrated the feature to me. This kind of thing isn’t something that most people get to experience. I consider myself extremely lucky to have been in the games industry at just the right time and to have had Iwata-san provide me with such an experience.

- The Wii Controller
There’s a bit on the Wiki that says I was the one to suggest putting a speaker on the controller after it was first announced. That's more or less true. Iwata-san, Miyamoto-san, and I were out at some yakiniku restaurant in Kyoto when I mentioned it. What is so incredible about this to me is that Iwata-san and Miyamoto-san went back and changed the design after my suggestion, even though they had already showed it off to the press, mockups included, and there had almost certainly been other people at Nintendo who internally proposed adding speakers to the controller before. I wasn’t even part of some big games publisher or anything—I was just an outsider with a big mouth.

This led into another really interesting story, but I’ll save that for another time.

- Seaman on the 3DS
When Iwata-san came to ask me to create Seaman for the 3DS, I like to think he was in the same frame of mind as when he first came to visit me at my apartment back in 1999. I did start working on the project, but things got really complicated and I eventually let go of it. Unfortunately that brought an end to our relationship, where I could just casually visit him in Kyoto and have fun exchanging new ideas. I felt like we needed some time before we could go back to the kind of creativity-filled relationship.

It was early last summer that I first heard about him taking some time off to recover from an unfortunate illness. I distinctly remember it, because I was actually sharing a taxi at the time with two super famous people: Yuji Horii-san of Dragon Quest fame and Takafumi Horie, otherwise known as Horiemon.

Iwata-san, when I later saw you appear before the press, I was really happy to see that you had recovered, but it looks like the gods aren’t that lenient… Tezuka-san (from Nintendo) suggested that I make an appointment to see you, but I couldn’t find the nerve to do so. Now, after all my hesitation, I’ve learned that we truly passed each other by, and I’ll never be able to see you again. I wish I had a StreetPass feature that could connect with heaven. I would run out and buy a DS with that feature right now just so I could send you my thanks. Yeah, I know that sounds a bit too convenient for me. When I left the Seaman project, I sent you a book and a letter. Whether you actually read them or not has been on my mind ever since. Also, I’m really sorry for being late with Odama, causing it to completely miss the window for it to be a success. There’s so much more I want to tell you, but I really don’t know what to do with myself after hearing about your sudden departure in the news.

Life is always just a succession of regrets.

Iwata-san, thank you for everything. I don’t typically look up to a lot of people, but I really respected you. I would always be thinking from afar just how amazing of a person you are.
It’s cliché to say this, but please rest in peace.

I’m still here, and although I almost lost hope in regards to being a creator and life in general, I think I want to challenge myself once more.

Iwata-san, thank you for so many things.

Ninjinister
07-14-2015, 05:02 PM
I wish I had a StreetPass feature that could connect with heaven. I would run out and buy a DS with that feature right now just so I could send you my thanks.

Oh gawd. T_T

TheBlueTurtle1
07-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Life can really be so unfair, just 55. So sad. He had such a big in-print over why Nintendo have been so great over the years.

Rest In peace, Nintendo will never be the same again with out him:cry::cry::cry:

Ninjinister
10-15-2016, 07:46 PM
VUHi-vlACJI

Most important 19 minutes I've ever spent on the internet.

ssjup81
10-16-2016, 05:26 PM
I thought I'd shared this here, but I guess it was in the Nintendo thread. This was put out a while after he'd passed last year by the Gaming Historian.

k4cJh2YgrKE

Ninjinister
10-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Friend of mine sent me that one after I sent him that first one, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It's quite a bit longer so it'll be tougher to slot in between doing things, but I'll probably have the opportunity at least on my next day off.

ssjup81
10-16-2016, 10:10 PM
Friend of mine sent me that one after I sent him that first one, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It's quite a bit longer so it'll be tougher to slot in between doing things, but I'll probably have the opportunity at least on my next day off.For me personally, I like long videos. I usually watch after work while having dinner since I don't watch TV. No cable.