PDA

View Full Version : How come Bebop and Rocksteady weren't in this series?

SixthTurtle
07-17-2015, 08:18 PM
I can't find any info on why they weren't in this series. I'm not saying they had to be but perhaps it was mentioned somewhere?

MikeandRaph87
07-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Peter Laird co-creator and show runner surprisingly wanted to keep it Mirage grounded and not include other media characters just Mirage created characters and new characters for the series. Bebop and Rocksteady are arguably the poster characters for other media creations thus they were only given a couple of tributes such as in the episode "Samurai Tourist". It is unfortunate as it plays into one of my complaints of the series, but que sera sera. Its still an epic cartoon.

TigerClaw
07-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Peter Laird was never a fan of Bebop and Rocksteady, Which is why they were never included in the 2k3 series.

They did show up in Turtles Forever as being part of the 80s Turtles universe.

However due to there popularity, They became an official part of the IDW TMNT comics.

CyberCubed
07-17-2015, 10:58 PM
In case you haven't noticed, NONE of the original cartoon, Archie or toyline characters were featured in the 2k3 series. It wasn't just Bebop/Rocksteady, it was EVERYONE who didn't originate in a Mirage comic.

Peter Laird wanted only Mirage comic characters or new characters created by the shows writers, none of the old ones.

Xav
07-18-2015, 12:54 AM
Plus I don't think any of the writers on the show were really pushing for old toon characters anyway.

CyberCubed
07-18-2015, 01:04 AM
Plus I don't think any of the writers on the show were really pushing for old toon characters anyway.

From what I recall they were considering using Slash and Mutagen Man in the BTTS season. Although Slash probably would have been Dark Leo in this version.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-18-2015, 04:27 AM
The Purple Dragons are as close to Bebop and Rocksteady it can be in the 2003 cartoon. I think that's OK.

DarkLightDragon
07-18-2015, 04:31 AM
They weren't needed anyway since Hun already covered the brawn and being the occasional heavy-armed thug for Shredder.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-18-2015, 04:41 AM
Peter Laird was never a fan of Bebop and Rocksteady, Which is why they were never included in the 2k3 series.

They did show up in Turtles Forever as being part of the 80s Turtles universe.

However due to there popularity, They became an official part of the IDW TMNT comics.

The IDW TMNT comics began in August 2011, two years after the 2003 cartoon had been cancelled and Nickelodeon bought TMNT.

Powder
07-18-2015, 05:01 AM
The IDW TMNT comics began in August 2011, two years after the 2003 cartoon had been cancelled and Nickelodeon bought TMNT.

What is this, Pop Up Video? :tlol:

neatoman
07-18-2015, 07:36 AM
Bebop and Rocksteady were always uninteresting, you could always tell that they were just slapped together for the sake of a toyline seeing how they always seemed to be far more prominent than they were needed.

Using them has always been kind of pointless, when they were introduced in the Nick show recently, was it really necessary? Probably not, at this point they're two henchmen out of seven, so having them around there serve no purpose other than fanservice.

And that's really the problem with them as characters. Their introduction was never an artistic choice, they were nothing more than product placement, so there's not much reason to keep them around when you have a slew of better characters or could simply just create better characters.

Sushi Shea
07-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Bebop and Rocksteady were always uninteresting, you could always tell that they were just slapped together for the sake of a toyline seeing how they always seemed to be far more prominent than they were needed.

Using them has always been kind of pointless, when they were introduced in the Nick show recently, was it really necessary? Probably not, at this point they're two henchmen out of seven, so having them around there serve no purpose other than fanservice.

And that's really the problem with them as characters. Their introduction was never an artistic choice, they were nothing more than product placement, so there's not much reason to keep them around when you have a slew of better characters or could simply just create better characters.

Yeah. It's a shame, really; I liked their concept, and I'm sure they could've been adapted to carry a story, given the time and work. But 2003 was mostly paying homage to Mirage -- more likely than not, they would've been unnecessary fat. I can see why they didn't make the cut. It's one of the reasons why 2003 was an overall tighter job than 2012 -- they tried not to add what they couldn't use.