PDA

View Full Version : Your first video game console

LeotheLateBloomer
07-18-2015, 01:24 AM
What was your first ever video game console? Have you had any prior experience in gaming before your first console?

DarkFell
07-18-2015, 01:40 AM
A Sega Genesis was my first console that I received on Christmas of '93. Before then I've played on a NES console, along with an Atari 2600.

Slade
07-18-2015, 01:46 AM
First one I owned was a SNES. Played one before I owned one.

CyberCubed
07-18-2015, 02:06 AM
The NES of course. All of us 80's kids had one. I got the NES with the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt and Zapper combo set.

I got Mario and TMNT for NES and I was trying to beat both incredibly hard games as a 5 year old. Man, NES games were hard enough for adults, but imagine when we were kids? I don't know how any of us managed back then.

Cure
07-18-2015, 02:16 AM
The NES. I still have awful memories of that thing. I really dislike it.

Powder
07-18-2015, 02:44 AM
SNES. My mom got one for her birthday, I was 3 or 4 at the time so naturally I got to play/own games too.

Prowler
07-18-2015, 02:51 AM
The NES. My first game on it definitely being one of these 3:

SMB
Tetris
TMNT

joefsas
07-18-2015, 03:10 AM
The first video game I ever played was pong. I remember my dad setting it up when I was a kid. No idea what happened to it :(
My first console was the original Playstation I got for Christmas. God I loved that thing!

DarkFell
07-18-2015, 04:04 AM
The NES of course. All of us 80's kids had one..

I never owned an NES but I knew other kids that owned the console, and I would play with them. Though if I was given the choice between choosing between the NES and SNES at this very moment, I would definitely pick the SNES.

The only Nintendo systems I've ever owned were a Gameboy Color and two N64 systems. One of the N64 consoles I got for free, the second one I had to buy because the first console died out on me.

Leo656
07-18-2015, 04:10 AM
My parents had one of those Pong machines you plugged into the TV, but I barely messed with that. The first thing I played consistently was the Coleco-Vision/Atari 2600 console. Frogger, Donkey Kong, Superman and Ghostbusters, mostly.

Prowler
07-18-2015, 04:32 AM
The NES of course. All of us 80's kids had one. I got the NES with the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt and Zapper combo set.

I got Mario and TMNT for NES and I was trying to beat both incredibly hard games as a 5 year old. Man, NES games were hard enough for adults, but imagine when we were kids? I don't know how any of us managed back then.
There are several NES games I'm still not able to beat as an adult.

I thought I was a terrible player, but turns out some of those NES games I had as kid(Top Gun II, TMNT) were just not so good and quite unfair.

Zak The Neutrino
07-18-2015, 06:31 AM
When I was really young and started to know what video games were my family had a Coleco Vision. So that was my first exposure to them. My older brother also got an NES when they came out. I did have some games for the NES but it was his and he would remind me all the time.

Technically my first system was Sega Genesis. I got it for Christmas right around the time Sonic 2 came out.

Mayhem
07-18-2015, 06:49 AM
Atari 2600 in 1980. Prior to that we'd had a Binatone Pong clone console, but the batteries leaked and ruined it. But the Atari was the first proper change game console.

Jester
07-18-2015, 06:55 AM
My parents had an Atari 7800 when I was a kid. They had a lot of games that were theirs but there were quite a few they were for me and my sister as well including a couple of Sesame Street ones. I never had an NES but my parents did get me a Super Nintendo for Christmas one year, still have the silly thing. Since my parents owned the 7800 they were always big on backwards compatibility (I think they'd look for old Atari 2600 games at flea markets) so the Super Nintendo was the last console I ever really owned. I did inherit my dad's old ps1 (which she got for free off of a guy at work) when he upgraded to a ps2 though.

Bry
07-18-2015, 10:16 AM
My folks had a Commodore VIC-20 when I was very young, and likely had it several years before I was born, that I remember playing around with when I was a kid. I think they had Galaxia and Pac-Man (or possibly the HAL Laboratory knockoff Jelly Monsters?) and that's about it.

The first console that was actually "mine" was the NES. Which I still have, and still works:

http://s30.postimg.org/tgioe3xpd/nes.jpg

Posed with the TMNT games for obvious reasons. :twink:

snake
07-18-2015, 11:20 AM
The xbox 360. Sold it for a wii and it was full nintendo from there.

Mew
07-18-2015, 11:27 AM
http://segaretro.org/images/8/84/PlayTVLegends_MDV1_US_Box.jpg
Sad, isn't it.

*NormalGamer*
07-18-2015, 11:34 AM
The NES easily. I won't forget my childhood memories playing this console; especially playing SMB 3 for the first time. ^_^

MikeandRaph87
07-18-2015, 11:35 AM
NES in December 1993. I played quite a few Arcade games and different friends NES and SNES. Edit: While different systems it appears we got our first game console on the very same day,DarkFell.

Wesley
07-18-2015, 11:43 AM
The Genesis/Mega Drive. I received one in 1996. It came bundled with Sonic 2 and Mega Games 1. I got an old Commodore 64 as a hand-me-down sometime before that, but it didn't work for some reason. I also played a few Tiger handheld LCD games like Sonic Spinball and Aladdin in 1995.

Netkeeper
07-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Up until about a year or so after the N64 came out, all of my consoles were hand-me-downs. My brother had the NES, SNES, and Genesis with CD attachment. As a kid, I played the **** out of that Genesis, though my first ever video game was probably Super Mario World. I still vastly preferred the Genesis and would continually beg my parents for one of my own.

So the first console I ever got was a Genesis with CD attachment then, the very one my brother had, the year he got a PlayStation. I had all the Sonic games released on the standard Genesis, Sonic CD, both Ecco games, Mortal Kombat, Lion King, and the Sega CD version of Jurassic Park. Oh and a Game Genie too. But I'm sure most of you that frequent this section know by now that my Sega CD was a piece of **** and didn't work.

My Genesis was sold at a yard sale without my knowledge when I was around 10, and I'm sure that's where a lot of the games went too, but I did manage to hold on to some of them along with the controller and wires so one of the very first things I bought when I got my first job was a replacement Genesis. I actually held a grudge against my parents for a seriously long time after hearing about them selling it. [Though I don't think they were the ones responsible, actually; we lived with an aunt and uncle as well and they were more likely to do something like that.]

I later also got the SNES, though I never got full ownership of the NES. The first console I ever got that was specifically bought for me, though, was a Nintendo 64. With it, I got Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Yoshi's Story. ...Funny how I lost all three of those games, oh wait no it isn't... :(

As a footnote, the Yoshi's Story cart I owned was originally my brother's. When he was at school, my mom would take me into his room so I could play his Nintendo 64, before I had one of my own. All I played on it was that, and Star Fox 64. I am saddened to say that the one Nintendo 64 game I wished for year after year but never got to own a physical copy of... was Star Fox 64. [It became one of the only Wii Virtual Console purchases I ever made, though.]

Peanut
07-18-2015, 12:34 PM
I know my family had a 2600 and Colecovision, but the first thing I ever remember playing was an NES and SMB/Duck Hunt. The first game I ever remember picking out to buy in a store was Mega Man 2. The first time I bought a game myself was Adventure Island II. The first console I ever remember getting and opening was an SNES. The first console I bought myself was a PSone.

Some great stories in here, btw.

Sad, isn't it.

LOL! Holy sh*t. That is upsetting. Sorry, man.

Netkeeper
07-18-2015, 02:01 PM
Oh man, the first game I bought for myself... I think it was Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. I remember renting it over and over and eventually saving up lunch money [by not eating lunch] to buy it for myself. I did the same thing for Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen.

...Someone stole both FR and LG, I ended up getting a replacement LG, and my Sonic Adventure 2: Battle disc broke. [My replacement was bought by the person that broke it... then I let my cousin borrow it and he scratched it. So someone else offered to buy me ANOTHER copy.]

Mew
07-18-2015, 03:52 PM
LOL! Holy sh*t. That is upsetting. Sorry, man.

I had fun on it at the time, before I realized:
1) I already beat all the games in like a week
2) Not even close to the original's sound
I think I still have it somewhere....

Netkeeper
07-18-2015, 03:56 PM
1) I already beat all the games in like a week
That is a lie.

CyberCubed
07-18-2015, 03:59 PM
As I said before, whenever I see people saying they grew up with the N64/PS1 or even the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox as their first gaming console, it really makes me feel old.

It puts into perspective an entire new generation of gamers who then became teens and adults now represent the majority of the gaming community, while a lot of older fans have either retired from games or play a lot less. I mean all those kids who grew up playing Call of Duty will represent the future of gaming, and that's pretty scary.

Cure
07-18-2015, 04:03 PM
That is a lie.

Every game on there can be beaten in a single sitting, maybe two or three in a sitting. It's not unthinkable.

Netkeeper
07-18-2015, 04:14 PM
Every game on there can be beaten in a single sitting, maybe two or three in a sitting. It's not unthinkable.
Not disagreeing with that. But a young kid couldn't do it. Especially if it's their first.

I mean all those kids who grew up playing Call of Duty will represent the future of gaming, and that's pretty scary.
Kids from that same generation also grew up with stuff like Minecraft and I don't see that as quite as bad.

Powder
07-18-2015, 04:21 PM
In this generation when you've got 8 year olds playing & cursing out grown men in Call Of Duty, are Nintendo kids outcasts, sorta? You see Nintendo fans get a lot of flack for liking "baby" games & the like, I imagine that must apply to the youth as well, maybe even more so given how badly they wanna seem adult these days. In the early 90's, when I came up, everybody loved Nintendo, for the most part. Even if you were a Sega fanboy instead, you were most likely still playing some colorful and/or cartoony titles.

sdp
07-18-2015, 04:21 PM
I guess not a console but my first gaming device was the original Game Boy w/Tetris and Super Mario Land. My parents bought a bunch of those early GB games and we never really got any new games for it until the early-mid 90s.

My first gaming console was a NES and yes the Zapper SMB/Duck Hunt edition. Loved it but games were way too hard for me as a kid. I remember we got a SNES when it came out but we moved for 1 years and I was only allowed to bring my NES, I was pissed that I had the latest console and yet I spent another year with the NES. I actually now appreciate that I got an extra year with the NES since I still got plenty of years with my SNES.

Sad, isn't it.
Well I'm sure you felt bad when compared to your friends who had current gen consoles but think of it this way, that "console" had some of the best Sega Genesis games, a console many kids grew up with and own exactly those games and you had it all built in one controller. Cartridges were expensive, not many kids had more than 4 or 5 games for their consoles.

As I said before, whenever I see people saying they grew up with the N64/PS1 or even the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox as their first gaming console, it really makes me feel old.

It puts into perspective an entire new generation of gamers who then became teens and adults now represent the majority of the gaming community, while a lot of older fans have either retired from games or play a lot less. I mean all those kids who grew up playing Call of Duty will represent the future of gaming, and that's pretty scary.
I used to feel old when people said they grew up with the PS2/Gamecube as their first console but now I see plenty of comments of people's first console being the Xbox 360 or Wii. :o

That generation lasted so long that we actually have a whole generation of kids who don't understand the concept of new consoles every few years. And what I've noticed is a large portion of "retro" fans are actually kids who's first consoles were all 3D and never once owned a "2D" console.

Mew
07-18-2015, 04:53 PM
That is a lie.
No, not really.

Cure
07-18-2015, 04:57 PM
In this generation when you've got 8 year olds playing & cursing out grown men in Call Of Duty, are Nintendo kids outcasts, sorta? You see Nintendo fans get a lot of flack for liking "baby" games & the like, I imagine that must apply to the youth as well, maybe even more so given how badly they wanna seem adult these days. In the early 90's, when I came up, everybody loved Nintendo, for the most part. Even if you were a Sega fanboy instead, you were most likely still playing some colorful and/or cartoony titles.

Maybe it just depends on region, because it was the opposite for me; Nintendo was looked down on and Playstation was the hotness.

But wait, you grew up in NYC, didn't you? Then my theory makes no sense because that's near where I grew up. I dunno, rambles.

But yes, I would imagine they are the outcasts because that's how it was when I was young. But I could be super wrong.

sdp
07-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Your theory makes sense because you're talking about two different generations. Genesis vs SNES you had the majority of people having Nintendo but there were plenty of Sega fans even if they were the minority. So yeah while Sega fans called Nintendo "kiddy" it was still the majority of the people who had SNES. Now in the N64 era the "kiddy" tag was pretty much cemented but it being cheaper the Playstation had the majority of the userbase so the Playstation was the "hotness" indeed in that era. The cycle sort of repeated itself with the Wii and while Nintendo was still seen as kiddy, everyone had it but in this current gen the "kiddy" image hurts it more and I'm not sure where I"m going with this but I guess I'll go ahead and post it.

Netkeeper
07-18-2015, 05:05 PM
No, not really.
Yeah, it really probably is.

snake
07-18-2015, 06:06 PM

As a pure nintendo fan, I can confirm that no one respects your taste at this age.

Mayhem
07-18-2015, 06:18 PM
My folks had a Commodore VIC-20 when I was very young, and likely had it several years before I was born, that I remember playing around with when I was a kid. I think they had Galaxia and Pac-Man (or possibly the HAL Laboratory knockoff Jelly Monsters?) and that's about it.
If you had Star Battle (which was Galaxian essentially), then that was written by Satoru Iwata. Yes, that guy.

Jelly Monsters wasn't a knock-off btw. Commodore got the licence to convert Galaxian, Rally-X and Pac-Man to the Vic20 (called the Vic-1001 there) but the licence only extended to Japan. Where it tried to release the games under different names in the West (Star Battle and Jelly Monsters), then it had injunctions against them by Bally Midway and Atari respectively, because they owned the rights in the West. Rally-X had its graphics changed and renamed Radar Rat Race, and that managed to fly under the radar.

Shiro Kame
07-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Personal PC technically

First handheld: Gameboy Advance

First home console: Xbox

Storm Eagle
07-18-2015, 07:57 PM

Well like they say, trying too hard to act grown up is a sign of immaturity.

As for me, as far as ownership goes, my first console was of course the NES. It was the Action Set with the SMB/Duck Hunt cartridge, and the red zapper. I got it in late 1989, so I was kind of a late bloomer. Other people in my class had their NES for a while and already had a considerable amount of games.

My first video game-playing experience was on an Atari that one of my cousins had. I remember playing games like Asteroids, Pac Man, and Missile Command.

Bry
07-18-2015, 09:00 PM
If you had Star Battle (which was Galaxian essentially), then that was written by Satoru Iwata. Yes, that guy.

Whoa. I can't be 100% sure, but I just watched a few gameplay videos and the sounds from Star Battle do seem a bit more familiar. And the title seems more familiar, too. Though I was really young at the time, so it's impossible to be sure.

But if so... wow, Iwata's work got to me even sooner than I thought.

Jelly Monsters wasn't a knock-off btw. Commodore got the licence to convert Galaxian, Rally-X and Pac-Man to the Vic20 (called the Vic-1001 there) but the licence only extended to Japan. Where it tried to release the games under different names in the West (Star Battle and Jelly Monsters), then it had injunctions against them by Bally Midway and Atari respectively, because they owned the rights in the West. Rally-X had its graphics changed and renamed Radar Rat Race, and that managed to fly under the radar.

Right. I definitely worded that poorly/wrongly, and I'm happy to be corrected. :)

It was the superior version too, wasn't it?

Ninjinister
07-18-2015, 10:07 PM
The first one I played was some orange Pong clone machine (I forget the name of it... I tracked down the brand a few years ago and found it was going for about $80 but my parents sold it in the late 90's for a buck). My parents also owned an Intellivision and a Vic 20 before I was born but I didn't start using those until a bit later.

Victorsaurus
07-18-2015, 10:16 PM
My first one was the NES (with SMB/Duck Hunt and the Zapper)
I had it when I was 4 or 5 years old.
I actually beat the SMB game in that age thus got farther than my parents.

Before I had an NES an older kid would bring his NES to my house so we could play and I also just enjoyed watching him play alone.

Prowler
07-19-2015, 01:31 AM
I was a teenager during the Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation. I was one of the very few kids who owned a GameCube while 99% of the rest owned a PS2. Not only the PS2 outsold its competition, but the competition was barely existent in my country. And Nintendo has never been very big here anyway. The SNES lost to the Genesis here, the PS3 outsold the Wii and the 360, the PS4 outsells every current gen console and even the PSP and the Vita seem to sell more than Nintendo portables here. The only Nintendo systems everyone here seems to have owed at some point where the Game Boys. But once Sony got into the portable systems market, the PlayStation owners turned their backs on the Nintendo portables.

So ye, as a teenager, my classmates used to tell me that "Nintendo games are childish and have no blood", etc. It's fine if a teenager is shallow and not too bright when it comes to discussing video games... or hell, anything. But seeing grown men actually calling someone a "kid" because said "kid" plays Nintendo Wii U while grown men play Sony and Microsoft consoles just reeks of insecurity.

Oh man, the first game I bought for myself... I think it was Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. I remember renting it over and over and eventually saving up lunch money [by not eating lunch] to buy it for myself. I did the same thing for Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen.

...Someone stole both FR and LG, I ended up getting a replacement LG, and my Sonic Adventure 2: Battle disc broke. [My replacement was bought by the person that broke it... then I let my cousin borrow it and he scratched it. So someone else offered to buy me ANOTHER copy.]
My older brother usually picked the games. The first game I asked my mother to buy was a GBC game called Looney Tunes: Martian's Revenge. That or Mario Party 2 for the N64. Can't recall.

Mayhem
07-19-2015, 06:20 AM
But if so... wow, Iwata's work got to me even sooner than I thought.
Those of us in the Vic20 community are fairly convinced he must have had a hand in some of the other early Vic20 titles that HAL Labs produced, we're just lacking evidence. The reason we know about Star Battle is because Iwata put his name and date hidden into the code!

As for Jelly Monsters, yes it was easily better than the later Atarisoft version.

Ninjinister
07-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Wait, there's a Vic 20 community? Everywhere I go I'm just treated as a square for having on instead of a C64.

ProactiveMan
07-20-2015, 03:16 AM
Commodore 64 was the first console I played, although I guess it's technically a computer. I think the first game was either River Raid or Tooth Invaders. It was pretty cool, especially once we got a floppy-drive and I didn't have to deal with the datasettes any more. I eventually bought a NES in the early 90s.

Mayhem
07-20-2015, 07:48 AM
Wait, there's a Vic 20 community? Everywhere I go I'm just treated as a square for having on instead of a C64.
http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/

Feel free to pop by and register for the forum... I'm a semi-admin there, and it's pretty much the best place to chat about Vic20 stuff.

LeotheLateBloomer
07-21-2015, 04:57 PM
My first video game console was the NES. I can't remember how I got one but I'm pretty sure I was around 3 or 4. I remember playing SMB/Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros 3, TMNT: The Arcade Game, The Manhattan Project, and some Monster Truck game. But my friends would come over to play at my house because none of them owned one. They all owned an SNES which I also owned when I was 5. Then my mom bought me a Genesis for my 6th or 7th birthday.

Icebot
07-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Mine was the NES.

chrisdude
07-25-2015, 08:39 AM
My dad had a Turbo Grafix 16 that I used to play Keith Courage in the Alpha Zones on, but my first console was the Genesis my dad bought me when I was in kindergarten.

AT-Man
07-25-2015, 02:00 PM
NES and Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt game. Every once in a while the amount of controller biting was too damn high.

billbot85
07-26-2015, 10:51 PM
First console my family had was an Atari 2600, such a great system. Never got the NES as a child (wish I had), but got to play it a my cousin's house.

However, my parents DID get me a Super Nintendo bundled with Super Mario World when it came out. I'll never forget how ecstatic I was when we got it. Still have the system today and it's still going strong. :tgrin:

LeoRaph
08-18-2015, 02:37 AM
My first was a Sega Master System 2 when I was 9 with Shinobi, California Games, R-Type and in built Alex The Kid in Miracle World.

I then got a NES 2 years later for none other than the 1st TMNT game and the TMNT Arcade game. Oh And Super Mario 3.

PangolinFeets
08-18-2015, 02:50 AM
I used to play my Uncle's Atari and NES. I would play Duck Hunt and then try to play Jaws, but the title screen and music used to scare me. XD
So the first system I ever owned was the SNES my mom got for me and my brother the year it came out.
The first system I bought with my own money was the GBC along with Tetris, Link's Awakening, and Pokemon Red when I was 12. I saved for months to afford all that.

cowabunga14
08-26-2015, 02:52 AM
Mine was the Sega Dreamcast