PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Reform of the Technodrome

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-18-2015, 04:23 AM
Back in October 1999 when this forum was started, TMNT seemed like a dying franchise.
*Archie TMNT Adventures comic books: status cancelled (March 1996)
*1987 cartoon: status cancelled (5 November 1996)
*Next Mutation: status cancelled (March 1998)
*Image comic books: status cancelled (October 1999)

TMNT was almost just a memory of the late 1980's-early 1990's for people growing up with the 1987 cartoon and the TMNT Adventures comic books. Finding this website, the Technodrome from the cartoon, comics, videogames and toys was a cool memory from those years so it seemed nice to name the website after the Technodrome, and say it was ran by the "bad guys" (the Shredder and Krang members can of course keep their names, it's their website). This continued during the year 2000 and a long time into 2001. (the Internet had gone mainstream since circa 1995, but finding episodes was still not so easy as today)

Finally, the Mirage Comics restarted in December 2001and, the 4 Kids cartoon began on 8 February 2003. The rest is history, and currently (as of 2015) we experience the third generation of TMNT fandom.

But on this website, it seems like nothing has changed and the 1987 cartoon and its spinoffs (like Archie TMNT Adventures comic books) is almost the only TMNT fandom. If we continue that way, picking up younger TMNT fans will be hard. Also, fans of very version may feel more welcome.

I propose:
*This forum changes name to something more universal TMNT (maybe we can have name suggestions and vote)
*A brighter artwork of the website (but it mustnít look like Facebook or other), just a personal idea
*No information being removed. This is not a call to remove anything not TMNT 2012-related (like Nickelodeon did, ruined the nice original Ninjaturtles website which couldíve been expanded).
* There's also some rule that doesn't allow bashing the 1987 cartoon. Remove that (I don't know if it's followed so strict anymore). I like the 1987 cartoon and so do many other people, I don't care about if other people not only say they dislike it, but also bash it (the second and third original films, as well as Next Mutation and Venus de Milo, are currently exposed to this, even the 2007 and 2014 films are often attacked).
*The establishment of two separate film sub-forums or one single for both (currently the new films seemed like less important, being placed above the older).
*Maybe also the ranking system should be changed if it isn't just bad guys-oriented

Candy Kappa
07-18-2015, 04:42 AM
No thank you.

Powder
07-18-2015, 04:55 AM
Make your own site if you have so many desires, this one's just fine. No need to reinvent it at all, let alone for one guy.

*That's stupid, the reputation & credibility of the boards would go down the (sewer) drain along with the namesake.
*Grey & blue is nice, it's easy on the eyes, unlike all those crappy modern social networking sites out there.
*What the hell are you talking about? Nothing has been removed here.
*That rule is not enforced by anyone, clearly, so don't pay it any mind. Really, the idea is to just not bash things in general, but there's a fine line between negative opinions & bashing anyway.
*The films already have their own separate sections, dunno where you've been. Hell, I'm the guy who suggested it. :tlol:
*Technodrome = Bad guys lair. Hence, bad guy rankings are fitting given we dwell in the bad guys lair.

pennydreadful
07-18-2015, 05:00 AM
I think those kinds of decisions are up to Krang, dude - it's his house, he pays for this place so he calls the shots.

TBH, I'm not interested in this place being more "kid-friendly" and getting young fans in here - they can hang out on the Nick site. I personally enjoy having a forum for the grown-ups; I can't deny that we all act like children here sometimes, but by and large we're old enough and have enough life experience to offer a certain amount of insight and analysis on the franchise and entertainment in general - certainly more than, say, an 8 year old kid.

Powder
07-18-2015, 05:11 AM
Yeah, there's that too. There are a lot of places where younger fans can go (including this forum, of course), the Nick website specifically targets them, most importantly, & it even has it's own forum. They've got their social networks, groups/pages within those same sites, their friends at school, & other online turtle hubs, so whether or not they come here is irrelevant. No disrespect to kids or anything but they're not usually one for in-depth or thought provoking discussion, behind the scenes material, collectible hunting, etc. They soak up the media, play with the toys their parents get them, & move on. We're mostly young adults who sit around picking it apart, whereas their conversations are typically... well, go look at any Youtube video for the Nick series. It's little girls saying Raph is hot & little boys saying 2-3 random words in caps lock with no rhyme or reason. We don't need a flood of that here. We do have a handful of younger members, Snake & Ninturtle come to mind, & they seem to be doing quite well here. Productive, intelligent, easy going, they've got good heads on their shoulders & have had no problems here. So I think things are just fine in that respect, granted they may be more mature than their peers.

The Technodrome is no less welcoming than any other mass media forum out there like IGN, for example. They're free to come here, talk, make threads, etc. & they'll be given warm welcomes in their introduction threads & fall in with friends/acquaintances with ease if they can write coherently & think before they speak. That goes for fans of any iteration of any age.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-18-2015, 05:12 AM
I think those kinds of decisions are up to Krang, dude - it's his house, he pays for this place so he calls the shots.

TBH, I'm not interested in this place being more "kid-friendly" and getting young fans in here - they can hang out on the Nick site. I personally enjoy having a forum for the grown-ups; I can't deny that we all act like children here sometimes, but by and large we're old enough and have enough life experience to offer a certain amount of insight and analysis on the franchise and entertainment in general - certainly more than, say, an 8 year old kid.

I suggest all TMNT fandoms, even Mirage and 2003, not only 2012. But I know it's up to those running to forum.

Slade
07-18-2015, 05:13 AM
I'm fine with the Technodrome
If anything, I'd rather darker color schemes in this bish :lol:
The rankings are fine, seeing as you can change it to whatever you want when you hit a certain mark.

Powder
07-18-2015, 05:16 AM
I suggest all TMNT fandoms, even Mirage and 2003, not only 2012. But I know it's up to those running to forum.

Did the name of the site stop militantly die-hard Mirage fan AndrewNDB from becoming a productive & respected member of the boards? No. Anyone with half a brain can see that this forum covers every version of the TMNT, right down to the anime & musical VHS specials. There are dozens of people on this site who clearly stick to one particular series & were drawn here despite it's Fred Wolf inspired moniker. I don't see why it would be a problem in the future when it wasn't in the past. Hell, The Technodrome is now being used in IDW & Nick's material, & it will likely be in one of the new movies, too, so the new stuff actually makes a case for keeping it, not changing it.

BubblyShell22
07-18-2015, 08:12 AM
I don't know why the hell you'd want to change the name of the site. I love the site how it is, and changing it is just stupid. This has always been The Technodrome, and I think it should stay that way. If you want another site, go create your own as Powder said. Everyone is welcome here no matter what iteration they like, so stop acting like only certain members are welcome here. That's just idiot talk.

As for kids coming here, I'm fine with it as long as they can have a meaningful conversation with everybody. But I do like that a lot of us are adults and that we can analyze the franchise and compare it with ones we've seen before whereas kids who have only seen the Nick series can't really claim that. That's my take on it. I say let everyone be welcome and leave it at that.

Mew
07-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Nah. Keep it like it is. Krang and Shredder are the admins, so it makes sense it's called the Technodrome Forums.

snake
07-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Haha no.

This forum is perfect the way it is.

MikeandRaph87
07-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Remember that the Technodrome appears in the Archie Adventures, Nicktoon, and IDW. Not to mention it is remodeled in Turtles Forever. Its also one of two things Peter Laird really loves that came out of the 1987 cartoon. Its iconic in other words so no need to change anything for the sake of change.

Davin
07-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Respectfully......no.

IndigoErth
07-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Leave it be...

Newer fans are familiar with a 2012 version of the Technodrome, and searching Turtle stuff on Google still easily finds the forum, I doubt the name is hindering anything.

Please, I hope the dark tones stay or at least remains an option. The amount of time I spend working on the computer with all the bright white and light colors of other sites and programs burning into my eyes much of the day... the dark color pallet is a welcome break when I check the forum.

Also, the ranking is negligible, you can change what it says to just about what ever you want once you've been around long enough and have enough posts; which you do.

Other points not commented on... nah.

sdp
07-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Can we all get booty signatures again?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-18-2015, 05:09 PM
Don't be scared of change. Yes we can!

But seriously, no. Just no.

I like it this way, it's always been this way, there's no real reason to change it.

And nobody wants my booty on a sig. :trazz:

Unworthy tinker
07-18-2015, 05:38 PM
This place is fine how it is. Leave it be.

The dark colors work. The ranking system can be changed if you meet requirements. Totally keep the name, it's what we're all used to. And do we need seven year-olds here? I'm pretty sure the occasional troll is enough here. *rocks back and forth* I think the MODs here don't need that. Besides, like others have said, it's not your decision.

CyberCubed
07-19-2015, 01:06 AM
I'm more surprised how active the forums are. It really is the most active TMNT forum on the entire internet and its surprising given the site is over 15 years old.

I am curious how so many new people find this place. When you look up TMNT forums to join does this one come out on top? I know many people who never came here because they didn't know it existed till I told them and they just hold out on cartoon or comic websites to discuss TMNT.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-19-2015, 02:53 AM
I respectfully disagree with the colour scheme. As someone who has really sensitive eyes, this website with its grey and blue, is very easy to look at.

Zak The Neutrino
07-19-2015, 09:23 AM
I'm more surprised how active the forums are. It really is the most active TMNT forum on the entire internet and its surprising given the site is over 15 years old.

I am curious how so many new people find this place. When you look up TMNT forums to join does this one come out on top? I know many people who never came here because they didn't know it existed till I told them and they just hold out on cartoon or comic websites to discuss TMNT.

I think a lot of it is word of mouth so to speak. I found out because others referenced this place on another forum.

Prowler
07-20-2015, 10:19 AM
While there's nothing wrong with change, I don't think this place needs to have such radical changes. I mean, first of all, why change its name? The Technodrome is a great name. I can see where OP is coming from since newer TMNT fans might not know what The Technodrome was, but this forum primarily targets people who want to re-discover their love for the TMNT, and it's not like this forum is anyway close to dying. It has a small active fanbase and has gotten some new users in the past few years due to Nick toon and the newer movie.

I also like the design. It's sober and it's also not plagued with social networking plug-ins. I like this place looking old school. This isn't one of those big companies that needs to stay in with the times and give into modern trends in order to survive and keep on striving. And as others have stated, grey and blue are very easy on the eyes.

Now as for the ranking system, it's pointless. More posts don't make you a better user. Let's not encourage spamming and post-whoring. As if there isn't enough arguing between different factions on this place already. And we don't want to overload the Disintegrator Unit now do we?