PDA

View Full Version : Denny O'Neil and Neal Adam's Batman

JakeSully
07-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Is this anyone's fave version of Batman in comics? mine! i love how they do unique stories and gives Gotham a different flavor in a realistic manner.

Who thinks Nolan's Batman movies are like O'Neil's stories brought to life?

MikeandRaph87
08-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Is this anyone's fave version of Batman in comics? mine! i love how they do unique stories and gives Gotham a different flavor in a realistic manner.

Who thinks Nolan's Batman movies are like O'Neil's stories brought to life?

I don't know about the Dark Knight Trilogy being Denny O'Neil's version of Batman brought to the big screen, but Denny O'Neil is my favorite writer and Neal Adams is my favorite artist and theydefine Batman for me along with Steve Englehart and gotta love Jose Garcia Lopez. The Earth-1 era Batman is the best. Its a time Batman can track down a serial killer and yet crack a smile at the end of the story. The porridge is just right. My favorite all-time Batman story is Night of The Reaper from Batman#237. My biggest complaint? No Batgirl! I love the Batman/Bruce Wayne, Robin/Dick Grayson, and Batgirl/Barbara Gordon team. I actually run a thread at the message board I linked in my signature that is a continuation of a thread I started on dccomics.com's official mb. If you want to talk retro Batman or Justice League I would be happy too.

I have a classics run on the Batman title going from Batman#200-#359 and Detective Comics#420-#526. Once Jason Todd is introduced my interest seriously wanes. I also have a set of Justice League of America vol.1 #100-232 run with all the annuals.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-12-2015, 07:32 PM
I have a classics run on the Batman title going from Batman#200-#359 and Detective Comics#420-#526. Once Jason Todd is introduced my interest seriously wanes. I also have a set of Justice League of America vol.1 #100-232 run with all the annuals.

How do you feel about Jason Todd as the Red Hood?

MikeandRaph87
08-12-2015, 07:48 PM
How do you feel about Jason Todd as the Red Hood?

Dick Grayson as Robin is my favorite DC character while Jason Todd is my least favorite DC character. I will put it like this, "It would be a really sleazy stunt to bring him back"-Denny O'Neil. He is best as either forgotten completely or as worm food. DC still struggles to find a solid role for him and he has been back longer than the 4 and a half years he was alive the first time. Sorry, cannot like everybody.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c2/c7/17/c2c71730f5367d73fea434b2a9248de6.jpg
The best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be!

Got an opinions on Denny's Batman or classic Batman?

Leo656
08-12-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm kind of in the same mindset with Jason. He was one of those "worth more dead than alive" characters, and while I understand everyone comes back eventually, and so I wasn't shocked, at the same time I was like, "They better make this good" and really tell some stories that would justify bringing him back, and they didn't. They just kinda threw him back into the mix like he was barely ever gone, and then they couldn't decide if he was a good guy or a bad guy (and frankly the stuff he did as a bad guy makes it totally implausible that he'd get to just hop back and forth between sides whenever he wants, as has been the case... he's done some horrific things since he's been back)... I just feel like they really botched the return and so I can't really get behind him being back.

There's plenty of good and bad in all eras of Batman, but I grew up reading everything from the late-70s up through the end of KnightQuest, so that's pretty much my favorite stuff. O'Neil, Adams, Jim Aparo, Chuck Dixon, Norm Breyfogle... those are some'a my guys.

CyberCubed
08-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Dick had to become Nightwing at some point so the need for a new Robin was understandable. They should have just stopped at Time Drake though. Once you have like 4, 5, 6 Robin's it gets idiotic.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-13-2015, 03:03 PM
Dick had to become Nightwing at some point so the need for a new Robin was understandable. They should have just stopped at Time Drake though. Once you have like 4, 5, 6 Robin's it gets idiotic.

I dunno, I feel like each new Robin has been a good evolution of the mantle. Each Robin has also been drastically different:

Dick
Jason
Tim
Stephanie
Damian...

Really wish Duke Thomas would get a chance to take on the mantle at some point down the road; I'd love to finally get a non-white non-black-hair non-blue-eyed Robin. At least Jason was occasionally a redhead... Oh, and Stephanie, but most people say she doesn't even count. :tconfuse:

MikeandRaph87
08-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Check out this blog that summarizes the entire decade of the 1970s of Batman comics.
http://barebonesez.blogspot.com/2012/01/batman-in-1970s-part-1-dark-knight.html?m=1.

Btw, I am surprised Leo656 did not pick up on the line I borrowed fro Brett " The Hitman" Hart.

So what is everyone's favorite retro stories?

Sorry that I kinda hijacked your thread, Jake. This is the Batman era I geek out about. :D

MikeandRaph87
08-28-2015, 08:48 AM
This is my favorite issue in full, altough its the redrawn version from Neal Adams Illustrated Batman opposed to his original. Enjoy!

http://hoosierinanity.blogspot.com/2008/08/batman-237-night-of-reaper.html?m=1

MikeandRaph87
09-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Here is a list Denny O'Neil's top ten scripts. Note that Denny's favorite work of his is my personsl favorite story as well.
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/04/27/the-greatest-denny-oneil-stories-ever-told/