PDA

View Full Version : So does anyone agree with me that "I, monster" is better than the comic?

neatoman
07-31-2015, 07:55 AM
So when I compare "I, monster" to the comic book issue it was adapted from, I can't help but to feel the episode is way better. Mostly because the Rat King actually comes across like an actual threat, in the comic he was just sort of sneaking around and the Turtles seemed more annoyed than frightened of him. In addition you don't have stand his insipid monolouge in the episode, nor does he go out in such an anti-climactic way.

TMNachoT
07-31-2015, 08:05 AM
So when I compare "I, monster" to the comic book issue it was adapted from, I can't help but to feel the episode is way better. Mostly because the Rat King actually comes across like an actual threat, in the comic he was just sort of sneaking around and the Turtles seemed more annoyed than frightened of him. In addition you don't have stand his insipid monolouge in the episode, nor does he go out in such an anti-climactic way.

I like the episode, yes, he was a threat and the fights were awesome. Not sure now if I really like the episode more than the comics, I have to Read/watch it again. What I didnīt like was the fact that they gave us an origin to the character -ok, that was in another episode, but the mistery about his past is something that shoudnīt be told.

DarkLightDragon
07-31-2015, 09:16 AM
I feel that even if you already knew Rat King's origins from Bishop's Gambit, it doesn't really detract his overall presence and threat he gives off to the Turtles. You might feel bad for how circumstantial his creation was, but not when he kills or attempts to kill for no reason aside from maybe survival. He's just plain loco. Simple as.

One advantage I feel the episode also had over the comic version was that it had to happen during Leo's PTSD time and seeing him get so aggressive to this strange monster who dared to bring harm to one or all of his family. Yeah it once again reinforced "something's wrong with Leo and the audience may already know why if they watched Sons of the Silent Age" but here one of his brothers was kidnapped and nearly put into danger because of this strange psycho, so the whole PTSD regarding seeing any of his family in harm's way was put to good effect here.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-31-2015, 09:29 AM
Half and half.

On the one hand, the 4Kids episode is a better version of "I, Monster" because the Rat King is more of a threat, not just some crazy homeless guy.

But the Mirage version gives rise to the INCREDIBLE Rat King / Splinter story arc in "City at War." 4Kids Rat King doesn't do crap.

neatoman
07-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Half and half.

On the one hand, the 4Kids episode is a better version of "I, Monster" because the Rat King is more of a threat, not just some crazy homeless guy.

But the Mirage version gives rise to the INCREDIBLE Rat King / Splinter story arc in "City at War." 4Kids Rat King doesn't do crap.

Well yeah the Rat King as we see him later on is better in the comic, but we're just talking about this one story.

turtlefanforever
07-31-2015, 09:37 AM
i didn't real the comic though so i can't say.

Powder
07-31-2015, 09:59 PM
No, but it's definitely one of the stronger "adaption" episodes, for sure.

megashredder
08-01-2015, 10:59 PM
They used alot of advanced acrobatic stunt's for the ratking. however I am surprised he doesn't talk and the tmnt don't know who he is....

Candy Kappa
08-02-2015, 02:43 AM
I prefer the comic, but the episode is one of the better adaptations done by 4Kids.

Rooish
08-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I like the episode because it's so creepy and suspenseful, but I didn't like how it was changed from a Mikey centric to a Leo centric story. In the comic we got some good character development for Mike, with him trying to stop Leo from killing the Rat King even though the Rat King had just tried to feed Mikey to the rats.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-02-2015, 09:50 AM
I like the episode because it's so creepy and suspenseful, but I didn't like how it was changed from a Mikey centric to a Leo centric story.

The entire first half of season 4 was Leo-centric, so that's probably why it was changed that way.

DarkLightDragon
08-02-2015, 10:18 AM
The entire first half of season 4 was Leo-centric, so that's probably why it was changed that way.

And besides, we did get a Mikey-centric episode in Season 4.

It was called Grudge Match.

Rooish
08-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Um, is that supposed to solve everything? That he got his very own episode? I just liked where the comic version took his character. I understand why they changed it because Leo had to be all PTSD but I was stating my preference, as the thread asked me to do. :roll:

Danetello
08-04-2015, 04:02 PM
I just watched this episode today, but I've never read the original comic version of this. I found the original comics too hard going, and difficult to follow with all the stories moving around all the time. As for the episode though, for what it's worth, without having read the comic version, I think it's a good episode. I like that we know who the mysterious figure is, but the TMNT do not. I noticed some people commenting that we should never have known the back story of the Rat King, but I disagree. I think knowing that he was developed from Splinter's DNA makes it a bit freaky, knowing he has a little bit of Splinter inside of him. It makes him more human, and makes you feel sorry for him more. When I watch something, I want to be able to connect with the characters, and with this Rat King, I can. Knowing he is a clone of the psychotic Bishop, enhanced with mutated DNA, and then abandoned gives credence to his cause.

jenna
08-05-2015, 11:48 AM
I like the episode because it's so creepy and suspenseful, but I didn't like how it was changed from a Mikey centric to a Leo centric story. In the comic we got some good character development for Mike, with him trying to stop Leo from killing the Rat King even though the Rat King had just tried to feed Mikey to the rats.

Agreed 100%.

Love the episode for all the reasons Rooish states, but for me, by this point Leo's moodiness had become boring and poorly written, and in this particular episode he just acted like a d!ck, which spoiled it for me. So the comic has my vote, but only marginally.

MikeandRaph87
08-05-2015, 12:05 PM
I prefer the comic for one reason, The Rat King is a human not the inperfect clone of Agent Bishop witth a few rags thus taking on Rat King's storyline. It just dis not feel like The Rat King to me.

CyberCubed
08-05-2015, 02:40 PM
I prefer the comic for one reason, The Rat King is a human not the inperfect clone of Agent Bishop witth a few rags thus taking on Rat King's storyline. It just dis not feel like The Rat King to me.

The Rat King is drastically different in every single incarnation. What does it matter if he came from a failed Bishop experiment in this version? In IDW he's some sort of God and in Nick he's the phantom of the opera.

ToTheNines
08-11-2015, 02:43 PM
You are so uncultured that it hurts.

Metropoliskid41
08-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Half and half.

No, but it's definitely one of the stronger "adaption" episodes, for sure.

I prefer the comic, but the episode is one of the better adaptations done by 4Kids.

Pretty much in agreement with all of these sentiments. I enjoy the episode, but definitely prefer the original.

TMNachoT
08-29-2015, 02:13 PM
and in Nick he's the phantom of the opera.

Or Scarecrow from The New Batman Adventures :D:lol::D