PDA

View Full Version : Why did the art style change like every other episode

Rooish
07-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Particularly in Seasons 3 and 4, I think, there were two different character designs used and it seemed to be split roughly evenly among the episodes.

In one style, the characters are much more angular. As seen in episodes like "I, Monster" and "Exodus Part 2." The Turtles had really protruding eyebrow ridges.

In other episodes the Turtles looked more rounded and natural. Like in "All Hallows Thieves," "Grudge Match" and "Touch and Go." They looked much better.

It's not that the animation quality was necessarily better in the episodes where the Turtles looked better, though. It didn't just seem like a budgetary thing.

So what do you think was going on?

TheSkeletonMan939
07-31-2015, 08:41 PM
I've seen every single episode of the 4Kids show several times and I've never noticed this.

Can you post video clips from YouTube so that we can compare? I'm not sure what to look for in terms of animation...

Rooish
07-31-2015, 09:01 PM
Okay, sure I can try for a few screencaps. It's not the animation per se, it's like the actual character designs. The animation quality doesn't always match the character design quality.

So here's the more angular style: 93149312

And here's the more rounded style, which I think is superior: 93139315

Mew
07-31-2015, 09:38 PM
Interesting... I agree with you.

Powder
07-31-2015, 10:59 PM
It's not particularly pronounced, probably just depended on what team was working on certain episodes.

Rooish
07-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Okay I will find some clips later. It is pretty pronounced when you watch it animated. I can see that it could be a different team; it is just odd because you would assume they would be following character models.

Powder
07-31-2015, 11:12 PM
I watched seasons 1-4 a few months back & nothing stuck out to me, but I wasn't looking for it. I'll take your word in the meantime. Like I said though, prolly a matter of different teams in conjunction with budgeting. I met some 4kids animators at NYCC in 2010 & they said the angular designs (as seen in FF & BTTS) were done to cut costs & increase the production rate. So maybe they had tighter budgets/schedules for the episodes from earlier seasons in which they appear that way.

Metropoliskid41
08-29-2015, 10:48 AM
I watched seasons 1-4 a few months back & nothing stuck out to me, but I wasn't looking for it. I'll take your word in the meantime. Like I said though, prolly a matter of different teams in conjunction with budgeting. I met some 4kids animators at NYCC in 2010 & they said the angular designs (as seen in FF & BTTS) were done to cut costs & increase the production rate. So maybe they had tighter budgets/schedules for the episodes from earlier seasons in which they appear that way.

Yeah I could definitely see this as being the reason behind the noticeable but still subtle differences imo. I'm sure it just boils down to 2 different animTion teams working on the episodes, one went the curved route, the others, perhaps on a bit of a time crunch, and the angular design route.

neatoman
08-29-2015, 12:53 PM
I don't think I've ever seen much difference in art style, at least not to any noticable extent.

It's funny, I would show a picture displaying how the art style shifts in Steven Universe but I can't find it.

Klunk1234
08-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Interesting. I have never noticed those changes before Season 6, when the designs were changed drastically and I'm not a fan of The Fast Forward and Back the Sewers designs.

Netkeeper
09-02-2015, 03:46 PM
I've noticed this, Roo, you're not the only one! And I agree on which style is superior. I've seen other animated shows do things like this too, where every few episodes something subtle changes in the animation style, enough for me to catch it but not complain about it.

It's probably just a shuffling around of the animators from episode to episode. I mean, unless you think a group of people can all draw exactly the same way.

ABrown
09-02-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm just not seeing it. The only change that I saw was what took place at the end of season five/the ninja tribunal season to the style that was featured from Fast Forward through Turtles Forever. Of course for whatever it's worth, I can't see "the sailboat" in the picture.

Coola Yagami
09-03-2015, 12:02 AM
Kinda can't see it... They both look in that same weird-ass blocky/angular look they always seem to have in the 4Kids show.

LS Animation
09-03-2015, 04:23 AM
Makes sense that they would adapt the art-style to some faster workflow due to budgetary or time restrictions. Most of the shows do that anyway. Animation takes ages and polishing it is a luxury not everyone can afford. I didn't notice it myself though but I wasn't looking for it either.

Garfield
09-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Okay, sure I can try for a few screencaps. It's not the animation per se, it's like the actual character designs. The animation quality doesn't always match the character design quality.

eh... sorry Rooish. I don't think those differences are anything close to being grand enough to be considered an art style change. I'm not even seeing any difference in the pics you posted. Maybe I just have an untrained eye for that kind of thing, but I'm just not seeing anything. Now the change from season 1-5 to Fast Forward and then to Back To The Sewers would be more of an art style change.

ImmaAxolotl
09-08-2015, 06:08 PM
eh... sorry Rooish. I don't think those differences are anything close to being grand enough to be considered an art style change. I'm not even seeing any difference in the pics you posted. Maybe I just have an untrained eye for that kind of thing, but I'm just not seeing anything. Now the change from season 1-5 to Fast Forward and then to Back To The Sewers would be more of an art style change.

I agree. Differences in animators and differences in art style are two very different things. (Forgive my overuse of the word "different".)

Unworthy tinker
09-08-2015, 08:44 PM
I see a slight difference, but it certainly isn't a huge one.

However, I did in fact notice that in Turtles in Space part 3, they did look a little off in some scenes.

Turtle Park
09-09-2015, 06:35 PM

I think it depends on animators, those slightly change is really noticeable in season 1~5, even the first episode and the second are different in designs, turtles looks taller in episode 2.

The art style in season 5 stay most the same as the picture you post, but somehow it feels stiff for me.