PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Nintendo hand held games

D Piddy 1982
08-03-2015, 06:42 AM
What the heck. I’ll post this anyway. Mainly because I struggle using the search tool looking for comments on games that are nearly all called “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”…lol…too many threads to look through….well, here’s the draft I put together, mainly regarding TMNT games on Nintendo handhelds from Game Boy Advance onwards…just looking for advice or comments really, where requested…

Hi guys n gals

Just after a bit of advice, and also to share the research I have already done.

I own a Game Boy Advance, a DS and a 3DS.

Looking into getting a TMNT game for one (or more) of them, so looked into what was about, and how each title is rated.

I found the following (year of release first, game title, which incarnation game is based on then a brief comment on what reviews say about game):

Game Boy Advance:
2003: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (based on the 2003 cartoon) >>> Mixed to positive reviews.
2004: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Battle Nexus >>> Ratings unknown.
2007: TMNT (based on the 2007 film) >>> Isometric brawler. Very positive reviews, one of the better TMNT games out there by all accounts.

DS:
2005: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Mutant Nightmare >>> Side scrolling platformer. Average reviews HOWEVER I noticed on Wikipedia that this version contains “Turtles in Time” as in extra? Whether or not this is also in the DS version I don’t know? Can anyone on here comment on this? If it’s an extra then I will definitely get this game, but I need confirmation first!
2007: TMNT (based on 2007 film) >>> Bad reviews…
2009: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Arcade Attack >>> Isometric brawler. Does anyone have this game? What do they think of it?

3DS:
2013: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (based on Nick TMNT) >>> Isometric brawler. Looks OK, but reviews say it’s “boring”. Any feedback from forum members?
2014: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (based on 2014 film) >>> Isometric brawler. Poor reviews.
2014: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Danger of the Ooze (Nick TMNT) >>> Side scrolling platformer. Looks poor. I will probably avoid.

The main ones I am looking for any feedback on is Mutant Nightmare (Turtles in Time extra) and the 2013 3DS Turtles game based on the Nick toon. Any others that people think are worth getting let me know. Thanks a lot.

thingy
08-03-2015, 07:02 AM
...I own a Game Boy Advance...
Assuming it isn't a Game Boy Micro, don't forget old Game Boy games will work on it too, so you also have the following games you can play:

1991: Fall of the Foot Clan
1992: Back from the Sewers
1993: Radical Rescue

Of those, I've only played Fall of the Foot Clan which is easy but fun.

Of the ones you've listed I've only played the GBA TMNT. I like it a lot.

RE: DS Mutant Nightmare. I've had a look around and as far as I can tell Turtles in Time was not included in the DS version.

Candy Kappa
08-03-2015, 08:35 AM
I got Back From the Sewers, it's pretty fun.

oldmanwinters
08-03-2015, 09:25 AM
I really enjoyed the first Turtles game on GBA, I thought it had some fun gameplay variety, good use of cutscenes, and was a surprisingly challenge.

The 2nd GBA game had some cool ideas, but having to find the default weapon in each level got so monotonous. I liked the challenge of crystal hunting more in this game, than the 1st game though.

I've never owned any of the DS systems, but I really did want to play the TMNT 3: Mutant Nightmare version.

So far as I remember, Arcade Attack on 3DS was absolutely trashed by game rating sites as one of the worst games of the years. I liked its art style, from what I saw of it, but I never played it.

D Piddy 1982
08-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks all for the replies so far.

I realise there are games on the original Game Boy system, but at this moment in time I'm only interested in anything on the GBA/DS/3DS. Thanks anyway.

Disappointing that it sounds like there is no hidden 'Turtles in Time' extra on 'Mutant Nightmare'. Would love to have that or Hyperstone Heist on my DS. Shame.

Looks like I might get all 3 GBA games.

Anyone know anything on the 2013 3DS game??

Powder
08-03-2015, 03:16 PM
The Gameboy Advance titles are my recommendation to you, especially the TMNT (2007) one, it's very much in the vein of the old beat 'em up turtle games. Mutant Nightmare's really good too, as it's a continuation of those same 4kids installments which are all quite nice graphically, & offer some variety via the occasional vehicle oriented shooter stages.

All the 3DS games are lackluster, but the best of them is Danger Of The Ooze. If you like Metroid/Castlevania styled games, it's worth playing. It's aesthetically pleasing, has a great soundtrack, animated cutscenes with the Nick voice acting crew, & there are some fun Easter eggs. While the gameplay is lacking at times, it's really enjoyable for how much love went into it. You can actually get both Nick games in one package, Zulithe made a thread about it a week or two ago.

Arcade Attack is terrible. Not even worth $10. It has dope cutscenes based on Mirage comic art, but the gameplay itself is soooo friggin' awful. Skip TMNT (DS) too. Pure crap.

I haven't played the 2014 movie game but I've heard nothing but bad things. It's only worth grabbing if you wanna see an alternate take on the story (features Sacks as Shredder & the plot is that Baxter Stockman, at his behest, flooded the city with mutant creatures) but I don't know how fleshed out it is.

If you do decide to peep the original Gameboy's catalog, I highly recommend Fall Of The Foot Clan, while short (only 5 levels), I think it's the most fun.

oldmanwinters
08-03-2015, 04:31 PM
The Gameboy Advance titles are my recommendation to you, especially the TMNT (2007) one, it's very much in the vein of the old beat 'em up turtle games. Mutant Nightmare's really good too, as it's a continuation of those same 4kids installments which are all quite nice graphically, & offer some variety via the occasional vehicle oriented shooter stages.

All the 3DS games are lackluster, but the best of them is Danger Of The Ooze. If you like Metroid/Castlevania styled games, it's worth playing. It's aesthetically pleasing, has a great soundtrack, animated cutscenes with the Nick voice acting crew, & there are some fun Easter eggs. While the gameplay is lacking at times, it's really enjoyable for how much love went into it. You can actually get both Nick games in one package, Zulithe made a thread about it a week or two ago.

Arcade Attack is terrible. Not even worth $10. It has dope cutscenes based on Mirage comic art, but the gameplay itself is soooo friggin' awful. Skip TMNT (DS) too. Pure crap.

I haven't played the 2014 movie game but I've heard nothing but bad things. It's only worth grabbing if you wanna see an alternate take on the story (features Sacks as Shredder & the plot is that Baxter Stockman, at his behest, flooded the city with mutant creatures) but I don't know how fleshed out it is.

If you do decide to peep the original Gameboy's catalog, I highly recommend Fall Of The Foot Clan, while short (only 5 levels), I think it's the most fun.

Great summaries!

D Piddy 1982
08-04-2015, 07:00 AM

Awesome response, thanks Powder. I think I'll definitely try to pick up the 2007 GBA TMNT. The only thing I'm thinking with the GBA titles based on the 4kids series is I'm not a fan of the fighting platformer style (which I think these are?).

I did once play Fall of the Foot Clan when I was about 9 or 10 (many years ago) as my friend had it. Perhaps I'll look into the older titles. But what you (and others) have given me above is enough to go on to know what to get and what to avoid.

Oh yeah, and I had watched a Youtube vid of Danger of the Ooze and they have put a lot of effort into that, agreed. Particularly loved a cut scene where it's the enter name screen and as you type the first letter Mikey pops up in true Nick Mikey fashion and says that he'll name you! Genius!

Shame they f***ed up Arcade Attack. Again, agree, the cut scenes are brilliant. Wasted opportunity.

Powder
08-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Well, the 4kids games are no different than TMNT, in that respect, they're Beat 'Em Ups. Pretty much all of the games are "Walk to the right, hit bad guys, fight a boss, repeat", you know? At least the 4kids ones break the monotony with shooter stages every so often, & they add a stealth element, switch defusing, & some other stuff that make them stand apart a little bit. If you've played Turtles In Time, Manhattan Missions, etc, that's the sort of gameplay you're in for with those 3 titles, more or less.

oldmanwinters
08-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Well, the 4kids games are no different than TMNT, in that respect, they're Beat 'Em Ups. Pretty much all of the games are "Walk to the right, hit bad guys, fight a boss, repeat", you know? At least the 4kids ones break the monotony with shooter stages every so often, & they add a stealth element, switch defusing, & some other stuff that make them stand apart a little bit. If you've played Turtles In Time, Manhattan Missions, etc, that's the sort of gameplay you're in for with those 3 titles, more or less.

The pure side-scroller 2D beat 'em up tends to be much harder than the traditional x/y axis beat em ups. I find that in the 1st GBA game, the enemies show no hesitations in smacking you in the back while you're busy trying to combo finish the enemy in front of you.

DonatelloDomeHead31
09-06-2015, 08:04 AM
The only ninja turtles game boy game I had was Back from the Sewers. I think someone would agree with me that the final boss (Krang) is very easy...no matter the difficulty.

I also had this handheld ninja turtle game where the turtles play Basketball and Baxter Stockman (the fly) blocks the goal sometimes.

Anyone know the handheld game I'm talking about? I think the brand "Tiger Electronics" made it.

oldmanwinters
09-06-2015, 05:30 PM
The only ninja turtles game boy game I had was Back from the Sewers. I think someone would agree with me that the final boss (Krang) is very easy...no matter the difficulty.

I also had this handheld ninja turtle game where the turtles play Basketball and Baxter Stockman (the fly) blocks the goal sometimes.

Anyone know the handheld game I'm talking about? I think the brand "Tiger Electronics" made it.

Konami made the first four TMNT LCD handheld games. I really like them, especially the first one.

The four one they made was the one you are thinking of: "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Basketball."
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Konami/TMNTBB.htm
What a weird concept! I never had it though.

Tiger did release a couple of later games in the series though:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tmnt/tmnt9.htm

Gaucelm
10-26-2015, 01:20 PM
I played Radical Rescue on Game Boy about 20 years ago. Good times... (though not for my thumbs)

I was used to the 1987 cartoons, so seeing the Turtles scowling with blank eyes in the graphics felt weird!

(Has there been much discussion for this art dissonance? Most action figures had the scowling/frowning/blank-eyes even during the OT run)

This game was hard! Foot soldiers constantly respawning when moving around the screen, deadly drops of liquid from pipes... and I could never beat Scratch the Cat, the first boss. Too hard for me.

(weird how an obscure figurine character gets to be a game boss, with barely a mention in more "narrative" media. Now he is known as "that rare and expensive collector item".)

My best memory of the game? The intro music. It was badass and I still hum it sometimes to this day.

shuriken
10-26-2015, 05:16 PM
Really liked all of the original GameBoy games.
Fall of the Foot clan is perfect for a train ride or to kill an hour or so. It's fun, easy and with decent controls. I think I beat it in like 20 minutes one time.
Back from the Sewers is pretty hard in comparison. I like it though, but I never played it much. It had a bit more cartoony and sty;ized look that gave everyone big heads. Not as big as the Big head mode in GoldenEye, but it's enough to be a bit jarring if you played FotFC.
Radical Rescue was my fave, and the only one i still have. Like Megaman with Turtles and an epic boss rush at the end.First game that forces you to play as each turtle due to their various abilities. This game is tough, but totally satisfying.
TMNT 2k3 is pretty good. I like tat it forces you to play as each turtle again. This time in Turtle specific levels. Loved Playingas Donnie and going up against the Foot Tech Ninjas. Hated the Mikey levels though. I love the last stage when you face off against the Elite, Hun and finally the Shredder in an awesome boss fight.
TMNT 2k3 (Battle Nexus) was better in my opinion and had all these neat extras like a racing mode and (Battle mode) that was based around getting crystals. It also forced you to be a ninja and be sneaky. Some stages had you start out with super weak shurikens, and you had to find your weapon later on in the level.Boss fights were different an interesting as well.
Never played any of the other TMNT games, but have heard great things about TMNT (2k7) for the Gameboy. Everything else is either ok (DS Nick games) or utter garbage (Arcade attack)