PDA

View Full Version : Scuplting Advice

Ninturtle
08-14-2015, 06:16 PM
I'm really disappointed that The Dr Rockwell figure playmates is releasing has no helmet or gauntlets and I decided I want to sculpt some my self. What brand is good for sculpting and what advice could you give to a first time sculptor?

TheMasterTurtle
08-14-2015, 08:00 PM
An accessory like this will be a little difficult to use the material I would recommend, Aves epoxy is a huge fan favorite and it will cure to a point that you wont have to worry about it breaking ever. The problem for a first time sculptor is that there is a cure time. The epoxy I use has a 45-60 minute set time. I'm not sure what Aves is. I know there are others on the market that have a longer one but I can't remember the name.

I would suggest as a first timer to grab some super sculpy or maybe even sculpy firm to test and refine your skill. If you dont do this you may have a lot of unusable epoxy sculpt attempts sitting around. The pro to sculpy products is its work time which is endless until you bake it. The downside is that the finished project is much more fragile and can break if dropped. If you'll just be setting him on a sturdy shelf with no chance of falling this may be the route for you.

The best advice to give it fail fail and fail again and while doing so you will refine your skills and techniques. Some things will work for you that won't work for others. There's a chance you will get the sculpt to look just like you want it the first time around but there is a larger chance you will spend days working on something and still be unhappy with it. Dont let that discourage you. Even people with experience have off days. I have an OT toon Krang sculpture Ive been working on for a few months and just haven't picked it back up because I had an off day.

Let patience be on your side. Oh and get PLENTY of reference pics from every angle and post them around your work space. It's really helpful

Powder
08-15-2015, 06:08 AM
Rather than sculpting something entirely from scratch, my advice would be to find a similarly sized helmet or dome-like item that you can use as a base for it, that way there's a bit less work involved.