PDA

View Full Version : Whats good to use for a black wash?

Ninturtle
08-22-2015, 02:13 PM
I want to give my basic battle shell turtles a black wash to bring to details in the plastron and Shell. What products are good for it and can I have any advice on giving black washes?

Huzzah
08-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Honestly, just water down any black acryl paint. I use like 3 drops water per 1 drop black paint, or something along those lines.

Candy Kappa
08-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Citadel got paint for washes and dry brushing, it costs a bit extra, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Discogod
08-24-2015, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't use black paint - I always think a black wash makes the figure look dirty, rather than detailed. Instead, how about using a darker shade of the base colour - so for the plastron, use a dark yellow/brown, and for the shell, a dark green.

You'll also need to give the figures a good scrub in warm soapy water (don't forget to rinse), and be aware that you probably won't get great results putting watered down paint directly onto the bare plastic - the paint will probably "bead" up and sit on the surface. You can get around that by using a slightly thicker paint, letting it dry slightly and wiping the excess away with a clean paper towel.

Metalhead 2.0
08-26-2015, 10:20 AM
Here's a decent tutorial on it and also bry-drushing, I mean dry-brushing...

US7pzZe516A

PangolinFeets
08-26-2015, 10:21 AM
Citadel got paint for washes and dry brushing, it costs a bit extra, but it's worth it in my opinion.

This. The Citadel black ink is pristine. I've been using it for washing my orkz for years. Very nice look.

Zarana-X
09-02-2015, 01:15 PM
You can use any acrylic, or acrylic craft paint. Black India Ink works good too. Thinning with isopropyl alchohol speeds up the drying time, and prevents beading, to an extent. YMMV:ohwell:
Also seconding what Discogod said about using a darker shade of the color. :twink: