PDA

View Full Version : More Customs!

Bauer536
08-23-2015, 07:51 PM
I didn't think I'd keep doing this.

I recently bought the New Deco Leo and Mike just so I could use the heads for the first line turtle figures (and they work).:tsmile: However, I wasn't a fan of their bodies, especially their first letter initial on the buckle. It's outdated, Playmates! Then I realized, "Oh, wait! I could paint over the buckles!" That's what I did, but then it occurred to me: I could give the turtles a new look. That's what I did here.

Powder
08-23-2015, 08:02 PM
So... you bought the new turtles just to make them look like the old turtles????

Bauer536
08-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Anyway, these use to be the New Deco turtles. However, I wanted to give them a design that I'd thought fit a new adaptation if ever aired on television (or Netflix). Leo's bandages are white, and Mikey's is white with brown spots to look like dirt. So, basically, Powder, they're not set up to look completely like the old ones. It's a look I wanted to achieve. Mikey has never worn white foot bandages before on the series, except for the Vision Quest episode.

My 13-year-old brother suggested that since I upgraded these figures, I should do some adjustments to their accessories. Because Leo's sword blades are already sliver, I didn't want to mess with the handles in case of scraping off paint. However, Mike's nunchuck chains and kurisigama blade and chain. I used a silver sharpie for this, and it was pretty effective. It looks awesome. I give my brother credit, because he did the blade before I finished with the chains.

Baxter Fly, originally, was customized, but only on the face. I used black paint to create his moustache. However, while I was looking at the figure again, I realized the clothes-colored thorns were driving me crazy. I'm pretty impressed that I used a good brown to end that madness.

Turflytle doesn't have many changes, but I used a silver sharpie to color in the fly tube arms and fly goggles. That's it.

Casey Jones needed some work. The sleeves weren't red and the shoes weren't black. That was easily fixed with some paint, so no worries now. I also used black to make the spikes on his glove, because if Playmates cared, the paintjob could have been there from the start.

Rahzar was killing me with the black feet. The gray makes such a difference now. Even the spikes stand out when you observe his back. :tcool:

Bauer536
08-23-2015, 08:54 PM
And the customs continue. Fishface's arm bands were not painted, and eventually, it was annoying to look at. I took the silver sharpie and fixed that quickly.

Dogpound needed to have black leg wrappings, and it was a good thing I had enough black to paint with. I did attempt to dab red paint onto his eyes, but I kept having a lot of complications that would get red in unwanted places. Until I get a red sharpie, I'm leaving the eyes the way they are.

Rocksteady doesn't have anything major, except this star is now red. I just painted that because that's what he has on the show. Originally after I customized the Mystic Turtles, I did use yellow paint and a gold sharpie to make his brass knuckles stand out. Gray boxes sticking out of your hands is not that appealing.

Tiger Claw was a risk to change, but I'm very proud of the results. The silver sharpie was used to make his chains around his waist. The brown was only used for the leg straps and holsters. For the fingernails and toenails, I used a thin-point black sharpie. Some of it didn't fully cover the nails, but it gives him this natural look, like he's broken a nail or it's reflecting off of an object. As for his eye, my brother took care of that. He didn't have to do that, but I still give him credit. :tcool: This is the best upgrade I've ever done so far.

Powder
08-23-2015, 09:06 PM
The touch ups you've done are nice but I would strongly advise against using sharpie. It can fade, change colors, become sticky, rub off on other toys/fingers, etc.

Bauer536
08-23-2015, 09:35 PM
The touch ups you've done are nice but I would strongly advise against using sharpie. It can fade, change colors, become sticky, rub off on other toys/fingers, etc.

You know, it's funny. Certain figures with sharpie, especially black, are fine. I've never had that problem, even when playing with them. However, the Turflytle Mike may need to come off soon. I thought it looked good, but it is pretty sticky there. It's not that sticky for Tiger Claw's fingernails and toenails, because it wasn't too much sharpie. Certain things I won't change because it's sometimes exhausting to make them look perfect as best as you can. Also, I have a job now, so it is not a number 1 priority.

Still, I'll consider not using sharpie as much. Thanks. :tsmile:

Powder
08-23-2015, 09:39 PM
For a similar ease of application I'd recommend paint markers, Wal-mart sells acrylic ones for $2 a pop in an array of colors & point widths. Considering they cost the same but serve a greater purpose, you're way better off with 'em. I can't remember the name of the brand I use but you'll see a display like this among the arts & crafts stuff:

http://homecookingmemories.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/elmers-painters-paint-pens-recipe-box-16.jpg

Bauer536
08-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks. I'll consider that.