PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Ice

Kris
08-25-2015, 12:05 PM
I hope you can understand why I'd be tempted and compelled to make this thread. After seeing how the discussion over Limp Bizkit went over here, I'd also understand if this thread doesn't go so well. (And as for another example other than Limp Bizkit, I can also admit that it's sometimes like trying to discuss Kid Rock and the Insane Clown Posse in any music section of just about any forum.)

I also never hated Vanilla Ice, but I wasn't a huge fan of his either. I was a casual fan at best and then somehow forgot about him, but thought about checking out his albums again. While I heard some songs from To The Extreme, the only albums I really listened to in full were Hard to Swallow and Bi-Polar. Part of why I'm bringing up Vanilla Ice is both inevitably and obviously my curiosity as to what other Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans thought about him back then and now. In real life, most TMNT fans that I've met and known definitely loved Ninja Rap. Not so many actually hated him though, even if there were a few fans that still did, but most of them actually either liked him, or were just indifferent. And out of all other musicians that had something to do with TMNT soundtracks, Vanilla Ice also seemed to have been brought up the most among other TMNT fans I've met and known in real life as well.

Anyway, if you by any chance happen to like Vanilla Ice beyond Ninja Rap, what songs, albums and videos appealed to you? I've figured that I'd at least try to check out everything from To The Extreme to Bi-Polar first.

Oh, and yes, my introduction to Vanilla Ice was actually Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze and it was also one of my most favorite parts of that movie, which also includes the part when Splinter references Ninja Rap's chorus for his second "funny". It was also very nice to know that he actually turned out to be a real fan of TMNT too, but that's just me. :tgrin:

http://www.vanillaice.com/

https://www.facebook.com/officialvanillaice

https://twitter.com/vanillaice

https://instagram.com/vanillaiceofficial

https://www.youtube.com/user/officialvanillaice

http://www.vanillaicefanclub.com/

rog8ou-ZepE

zNJ8_Dh3Onk

z9tH_GX9oHo

R_K6971WmAs

Powder
08-25-2015, 12:15 PM
This joint is pretty hard. I'm all about that rugged bouncy early 90's sh*t.

c4nGSW4VubU

MsMarvelDuckie
08-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Besides Ice Ice Baby, the only songs that ever really stood out for me were Stop That Train and Havin A Roni, both off of To the Extreme. Havin A Roni was just one of the funniest and dirtiest songs Id ever heard back then.

Kris
08-25-2015, 04:48 PM
I was just reminded to look up the TMNT shaped Kraft Macaroni & Cheese commercial Vanilla Ice did last year. I also just ended up trying them as Kraft Macaroni & Cheese was always one of my favorite foods. :tsmile:

us0HMWVPv_M

9GqND0Dm4sw

Krutch
08-28-2015, 10:16 AM
I've been into Vanilla Ice as far as I can remember(pretty sure his website was the first message board I was ever apart of), so, here's my two cents on each of his main albums...

To The Extreme (1990): What set it off. I've listened to this album to death and don't usually listen to it all anymore, but when it came out, everyone loved it. Sounds pretty dated to new ears but there's some gems on there.
Best songs: Ice Ice Baby, Play That Funky Music White Boy, Stop That Train, Life is Just a Fantasy

Mind Blowin (1994): Considered his best work by most of his fanbase. He still borrows and rehashes lyrics from this album in his later work, so he must be pretty happy with it himself. It's a pretty laid back, smooth party album thats good to have in the background(in the mid nineties, that is). If you're interested in Vanilla Ice, here's a great place to start.
Best songs: Fame, The Wrath, Roll'em Up, Hit'em Hard

Hard to Swallow (1998 ): It's hard to imagine what a listener who isn't a teenager at the height of NuMetal would think of this. The album was so suited for its time(produced by Ross Robinson) with the drop D tuned guitars and angsty(if juvenile) lyrics: "Reality sucks/Too much pain/I can't explain/Why I wanna bash brains". Still, it was a huge shocker at the time hearing pop culture icon Vanilla Ice turn his gears and produce something that was pretty good. I like this album a lot, but it's dated as hell.
Best songs: Too Cold, ADD, Living, Freestyle

BiPolar (2001): For my money, it's Ice at his best. Here he divides the CD in half(first half hip-hop, second half numetal). He tries to stretch his vocals into new territories whether its singing on Nothing Is Real or getting gruff and gritty on Mudd Munster. He even tried the autotuning fad at the time for Tha Weed Song. I like this CD from top to bottom and while it's dated like most of his stuff, the production value on this keeps it pretty easy to approach.
Best songs: Nothing Is Real, I Know, Primal Side, Tha Weed Song, Unbreakable, Detonator, O.K.S, Dirty South

Platinum Underground (2005): Platinum Underground is a pretty strange album in that it's 25 tracks and all over the place in tone. 4 of the songs are either previously released or remakes and the last 9 tracks aren't songs, they're just voicemails left on Vanilla's answering machine. So that leaves us with 12 new songs. And whats there is okay. It feels like a less exciting BiPolar. And the fact that the tracks are all mixed up instead of divided into genres makes for an awkward listen. I guess the noteworthy track is Ninja Rap 2 for obvious reasons, but its more about his relationship with the Juggalos(also called Ninjas) than anything else. It's not a bad album, but its a bit messy.
Best songs: Survivor, Say Goodbye, Hustlin, Tell Me Why

W.T.F. (Wisdom, Tenacity And Focus) (2011): This one falls somewhere between Bipolar and Platinum Underground. It's just as all over the place in tone as before but there's more originality and some more experimentation going on here. Dance, acoustic ballads... He even dabbles a bit in country here. If theres one thing this CD cements is that Ice's voice is shockingly versatile and lends itself well to other genres outside his comfort zone. This album is pretty hard but worth it if you can.
Best songs: Turn It Up, Born on Halloween, Bought & Sold, Hooked(Unplugged)

Hope that helps!

Guitar_Raph
08-29-2015, 04:33 AM
I liked his 1991 flop, Cool As Ice, which featured Dody Goodman & Michael Gross (Family Ties). Only liked it because he drove a cool motorcycle. "Drop that zero & get with the hero!"

In Yo! Yogi, he was parodied by Magilla Gorilla as Magilla Ice.

Kris
09-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Hope that helps!
Thank you so much for your informative advice and suggestions. :tsmile:

I really have been on a Vanilla Ice kick a of late and have made sure to order To The Extreme, Mind Blowin' and Hard To Swallow. I'll definitely get Bi-Polar and Platinum Underground later on, but probably after getting Cool As Ice. (I've at least thought of getting Bi-Polar with Cool As Ice first though.) As for an actual non-album release, I at least got The Best of Vanilla Ice for Ninja Rap, and it was a bonus for me in a way as I enjoyed the songs he did for Cool As Ice, a some of them also happen to be on that release.

I really was missing out, even though I already heard Hard to Swallow and Bi-Polar in full when I was high school. Back then, for whatever reason, I was drawn more to Eminem, Kid Rock and the Insane Clown Posse, as well as some Beastie Boys, Everlast and House of Pain. I would've ate that up, as it turns out that early Kid Rock was sort of similar to early Vanilla Ice too. To The Extreme and Hard To Swallow would've been perfect for me, especially if I enjoyed Kid Rock albums such as Grits Sandwiches For Breakfast and Devil Without A Cause.

I liked his 1991 flop, Cool As Ice, which featured Dody Goodman & Michael Gross (Family Ties). Only liked it because he drove a cool motorcycle. "Drop that zero & get with the hero!"

In Yo! Yogi, he was parodied by Magilla Gorilla as Magilla Ice.

It's also one of the few reasons as to why I'm definitely getting Cool As Ice. It seems like a fun viewing when I'm in the mood. And as mentioned, I also enjoyed the songs he made for that movie too.

And while I had no idea, I always thought little parodies and references like that were cool for just about anything that I'm a fan of. :tsmile:

chrisdude
10-09-2015, 05:51 PM
I'm gonna have to play Bipolar on the way home from work, tonight. I wandered into the music for him, y'all got me reminiscing. Platinum Underground was fun, and I agree with Krutch's assessment of WTF, but Bipolar is still my favorite.