PDA

View Full Version : Playstation turns 20

TigerClaw
09-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Today, the Playstation turns 20 years old in the US, I'm sure many of you, besides me, had a Playstation when it first came out. :)
http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-turns-20-today-whats-your-favorite-m-1729552881

Prowler
09-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Way to make me feel old, buddy :lol:

Never owned a PS1. In fact, I didn't get the chance to play a PS1 game until this year. My family had a Sega Saturn and later a Nintendo a 64 when I was a kid. The PS1 must have been a great console for its time as well, and sadly I doubt I'd enjoy most of its classics considering this was in the early 3d period. Maybe I'd enjoy cartoonish looking games such as Crash Bandicoot, though.

Storm Eagle
09-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Today, the Playstation turns 20 years old in the US, I'm sure many of you, besides me, had a Playstation when it first came out. :)
http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-turns-20-today-whats-your-favorite-m-1729552881

A part of me wishes I had it since I went with the N64, even though I did genuinely enjoy that. So I'd have owned both. I bought the PS2 to make up for that though.

CyberCubed
09-09-2015, 07:56 PM
The PS2 and PS3 had some of the greatest games of all time.

PS1 games have aged poorly and most of the big ones have or are getting remakes (Resident Evil 1 and 2, MGS, FFVII, etc.)

chrisdude
09-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Christmas of 96. I'll never forget it. My first games were Tekken 2 and NBA Live. I still have it.

Favorite games: Vigilante 8, Tekken 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Chrono Cross (still my favorite RPG), Street Fighter Alpha 3 (still my favorite Street Fighter), CyberTiger

Netkeeper
09-09-2015, 08:18 PM
I got a PS1 as a kid specifically to play Spyro the Dragon. I ended up getting all three games and little else for the system.

...Not actually sure why and how I still have my PS1 and the box it came in, too.

Prowler
09-09-2015, 10:10 PM
The PS2 and PS3 had some of the greatest games of all time.

PS1 games have aged poorly and most of the big ones have or are getting remakes (Resident Evil 1 and 2, MGS, FFVII, etc.)
I kinda wanted to play FFVII even with outdated graphics, but I guess I'll just wait for the remake.

DarthRaphael
09-10-2015, 07:37 AM
To think, the Playstation was created because of a failed partnership with Nintendo to create a CD add-on for the SNES.

I bought one to play games like Tekken and Twisted Metal.

Leo656
09-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Man, that takes me back. I didn't really give a sh*t at first, I had a SNES and an N64 so I was set, but then my buddy showed me WCW vs. The World and I'm like, "OK, I'm gettin' me one." :lol: FF7 and MGS defintiely clinched it too. My sister got it for me for my Birthday in 1997. Good times. I never really picked up a ton of games for it but I played it to death regardless. Poor thing was struggling to stay alive by the time I got a PS2. Then some asshole stole it anyway so I never even got to give it a proper burial.

People stealing my video game sh*t has been a sad but strongly recurring theme in the story of my life, incidentally. It's happened to me like five separate goddamn times.

Storm Eagle
09-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Man, that takes me back. I didn't really give a sh*t at first, I had a SNES and an N64 so I was set, but then my buddy showed me WCW vs. The World and I'm like, "OK, I'm gettin' me one." :lol: FF7 and MGS defintiely clinched it too. My sister got it for me for my Birthday in 1997. Good times. I never really picked up a ton of games for it but I played it to death regardless. Poor thing was struggling to stay alive by the time I got a PS2. Then some asshole stole it anyway so I never even got to give it a proper burial.

One of my friends had his PlayStation stolen from him on our senior ski trip (which I didn't go on), but then it was returned to him.

Also, even though I never owned one, I'd say that my best memory of it was seeing PlayStation ads at bus stops. I don't think any video game systems were ever advertised that way before then. That's when I knew things were somehow changing for video games for the better.

Toitlefan
09-14-2015, 11:42 PM
20 years? I would have guessed Sega or SNES was 20 years ago. Just another indicator that I am getting old.
I just recently bought a used PS1 to replace my original which has been acting up and only plays about half of my games anymore. I sat down to "try" a few games to make sure it worked...3 hours later I was pretty sure it worked :tlol: Twisted Metal 2 and Resident Evil 2 sucked me right in. The only thing that is disappointing is the gun for games like Area 51 and Crypt Killer is not functional with newer HD TVs. I'm almost considering buying an old tube tv just so I can play those and duck hunt again.

Krutch
09-15-2015, 08:47 AM
Metal Gear, Twisted Metal, Silent Hill :D

ssjup81
09-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Funny....the PSX turns 20 and it's all Nintendo's fault. :lol:

TheCanadiandrome
09-15-2015, 09:58 PM
yay! happy Bday Playstation

Ninja Arnold
10-31-2015, 11:23 PM

Yeah good times with Gex Gecko and Crash Bandicoot. Happy birthday to the PlayStation.

Netkeeper
11-01-2015, 01:21 AM
Why the hell are you bumping old threads like this?