PDA

View Full Version : TMNT 2007 - Karai's odd statement

Danetello
09-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Apologies if this has been posted before, but so much gets archived on this forum, it's hard to find anything, lol. :tcool:

Anyway, I watched TMNT 2007 again last night, and I picked up on an odd statement by Karai near the end. She says something to the effect of, "More familiar faces will be returning soon" (or something like that).
Granted, it could have just been "one of those things she said", but it seemed, at least to me, very deliberate. My point is, was there ever a plan for a sequel? Even if there wasn't, do you think someone had a sequel in mind, and thought this would be a good springboard in the event they decided to do one? Why bother at the end of a movie telling the audience they'll be seeing some old familiar faces very soon?
I looked on the basic internet sources such as turtlepedia, wikipedia, and various other Google found pages, but nothing seemed to hint as to why this line was dropped in.

Redeemer
09-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Yeah I believe there was supposed to or at least they kicked around the idea of a sequel. There was a movie poster for the new movie leaked and essentially the plot was shredder has returned and somewhere in the movie all the turtles except Mikey are mutated back to regular turtles and Mikey has to save his brothers.

But then I believe Peter Laird opted for a hardcore Mirage Reboot and then while they was casting for that movie Peter Laird sold the property to Nick.

Candy Kappa
09-15-2015, 01:57 PM
It was sequel baiting. 99.9% that the "old face" would have been Shredder.

Powder
09-15-2015, 02:21 PM
They were planning a sequel where Shredder would return & de-mutate everyone but Mikey (yes, that includes Splinter) & he'd had to resolve things on his own (or possibly with April/Casey's aid).

Proposal poster:

http://i62.tinypic.com/99pfuw.jpg

massakre
09-15-2015, 04:23 PM
has it ever been confirmed if that poster was legit or not? not to doubt anyone, but the sypnosis can pretty much be assumed frm that poster alone.. was there ever anything official to release on this?

Danetello
09-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Oh, ok. Interesting! I would have actually liked to have seen that movie!

OrangeNinja1987
09-15-2015, 04:52 PM
In the History of TMNT book that came out for the 30th anniversary last year mentioned that they had planned for a sequel to the 2007 movie to center around Michelangelo. It was a vague mention, but I bet that this is what it was talking about.
It sounds like an awesome movie, or it would even make a good episode of the TV show if they wanted to do the idea justice. The only thing I really didn't like of the 2007 movie was the weird plot but this plot would be so cool, so I think this would have been a better movie than its predecessor if done right.

Candy Kappa
09-15-2015, 05:06 PM
has it ever been confirmed if that poster was legit or not? not to doubt anyone, but the sypnosis can pretty much be assumed frm that poster alone.. was there ever anything official to release on this?

Off what I remember is that the poster was made as a gift (birthday present maybe) to someone in or from Imagi before they went bankrupt.

So the poster itself wasn't for TMNT2, but some of the pitches floating around for the sequel was reminiscent off the poster.

TMNachoT
09-15-2015, 08:07 PM
Off what I remember is that the poster was made as a gift (birthday present maybe) to someone in or from Imagi before they went bankrupt.

So the poster itself wasn't for TMNT2, but some of the pitches floating around for the sequel was reminiscent off the poster.

Yes, you are right, that poster doesn´t have any relation to a second film, peter said something about it in his blog.

Bombshell
09-17-2015, 05:27 PM
Man I'd love to have that poster in my room

oldmanwinters
09-17-2015, 07:10 PM
2007 Karai was so cryptic...

ProactiveMan
09-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Karai's remarks reminded me of the UK ending of Transformers: The Movie... "The battle is over, but the galaxy-spanning adventures of the Transformers will continue, and the greatest Autobot of them all, Optimus Prime, will return"

Subtle.

PartyWolf
09-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Man I'd love to have that poster in my room

Me too - though I'm not sure what expression Shredder is making. Looks like he is a mix of surprised and angry. Like he can't believe his plan worked but angry that Mike is still there. ha ha

sdp
10-03-2015, 03:19 PM
That poster was given to Peter Laird I believe. It was just a pitch and no synopsis was every given in fact Laird mentioned TMNT2 wouldn't have been that necessarily. The only pitch that we know is that they wanted to make a note comedic oriented sequel but that's it.

Xav
10-03-2015, 04:27 PM
No
TMNT 2 would have loosely adapted the Turtles’ 13-part comic book saga City At War: Michelangelo feels like the “odd man out” among his brothers, not being taken seriously. With the best of intentions, the character runs away and joins the Foot Clan, donning a black bandana. Meanwhile, the Turtles travel to Japan and cross paths with Karai in an adventure resulting in the return of their arch nemesis, Shredder.
http://animatedviews.com/2014/director-kevin-munroe-revisits-imagis-tmnt-franchise/

BubblyShell22
10-03-2015, 04:47 PM
I always thought Karai's line at the end hinted at a sequel, and maybe they were planning one in case the movie did really well, but I think plans fell through for that and then Peter sold the property to Nick. But I think this would make a good episode of the Nick series.

MsMarvelDuckie
10-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Indubitably! As long as they didn't make Mikey magically able to re-mutate them back through throwing things together, it would be great!

Shark_Blade
10-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Pfft, it's gotta be Tatsu, y'all.

Naw it's Shredder 100%.

Metropoliskid41
10-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Obviously Shredder is the head hancho and their main villain, the Lex Luthor to the Turtles' Superman, but it'd be great if we could finally get some screen time from one of the Turtles other host of formidable opponents make it to the big screen. Someone like Rat King, or Savanti, or maybe some evil mutants not led by Shredder.

Oh well, maybe next time around.

myconius
10-16-2015, 04:48 PM
That poster was given to Peter Laird I believe. It was just a pitch and no synopsis was every given in fact Laird mentioned TMNT2 wouldn't have been that necessarily. The only pitch that we know is that they wanted to make a note comedic oriented sequel but that's it.

even though TMNT2 never happened and will never see the light of day, i'm glad this idea wasn't seriously going to be the basis for the sequel.
a movie with only Michelangelo and the rest of his family out of the picture?
it just doesn't seem like an hour and a half worth of Story.
a half hour TV episode maybe?
but NO WAY a full movie!

cloud
11-13-2015, 08:14 PM
It was a reference thrown hinting the return of the Shredder. Weather or not the sequel would involve the Shredder was not certain.
Back then when Steve Murphy's blog was still active he showed the poster of Mikey holding his de-mutated brothers as a possible plot line for the sequel. It was not 100% confirmed that that's the direction Imagi was going for nor was their a solid plan to have Shredder returned in the 2nd CGI film that never happened.
Peter Laird has mentioned a few times of his interest in doing a live action "hybrid" movie, with CGI turtles (pretty much what they did with the 2014 film). But he also understand the reason for going CGI animated due to budget constrains.

So yeah, basically, the line Karai said at the end was mostly an Easter egg for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fans or more likely the comic fans or 2k3 show fans that knows about Shredder being cloned after death.

Tetsu Deinonychus
11-14-2015, 11:25 AM
In the director's commentary for the DVD, it's said that they at least just wanted to hint that the Turtles had many more adventures ahead. Though, he was hoping for some kind of sequel (I was too).

turtlefanforever
11-14-2015, 12:49 PM
there were plans for a sequel.

Wish a sequel happened that'd have been great. The 2007 movie itself was profitable.

to this day the 2007 turtles are the only good CGI turtles.

Amaranthus
11-14-2015, 01:18 PM
to this day the 2007 turtles are the only good CGI turtles.

Lmao, shut up.

Autbot_Benz
11-14-2015, 01:38 PM
there were plans for a sequel.

Wish a sequel happened that'd have been great. The 2007 movie itself was profitable.

to this day the nick turtles are the only good CGI turtles.

fixed you troll

shuriken
11-17-2015, 11:40 PM
fixed you troll

HAHA
It wasn't an odd statement it was a proposed sequel tease that never happened. Hateto say it but the sequel sounds loads better than the garbage plot we got for the 2k7 movie.

Andrew NDB
11-18-2015, 01:54 AM
Apologies if this has been posted before, but so much gets archived on this forum, it's hard to find anything, lol. :tcool:

Anyway, I watched TMNT 2007 again last night, and I picked up on an odd statement by Karai near the end. She says something to the effect of, "More familiar faces will be returning soon"

It's purely meant to be, "If you guys see this movie enough and it makes enough bank... you will see THE SHREDDER again soon! I know you kids wanna see him again, don't you? Don't you?"

Andrew NDB
11-18-2015, 01:55 AM
Back then when Steve Murphy's blog was still active he showed the poster of Mikey holding his de-mutated brothers as a possible plot line for the sequel.

I've seen that. That was apparently never one of the actually pitched plots of the sequel to the Imagi movies, just a poster thing gifted to Laird by Imagi. All of those and the poster thing all seemed equally horrible, though.

shuriken
12-06-2015, 02:46 AM
^ I have to disagree. While not necessarily a good topic for a TMNT movie, it's loads better than the actual 2k7 movie. Hell the movie when you think about sounds like it belongs in Volume 1 written by a random guest artist. Only terrible.
The concept of Mikey looking after his demutated brothers and Master is intriguing at the very least and could really make for an interesting dynamic shift in which the youngest most lighthearted brother must care for his family. It sounds like a good Tales issue if anything.

DarkLightDragon
12-06-2015, 07:05 PM
Regarding the whole 'having the sequel revolve around Mikey saving his family' thing.

On one hand, it definitely would've been a step up from his minor role in the first, but at the same time, he wasn't the only Turtle who got the treatment. Don also didn't get much to do because it more revolved around Leo and Raph trying to make amends with each other rather than the whole family (which would've been a more interesting character conflict than just the two alpha-Turtles despite me liking their big fight scene). So having him get mutated alongside the others just seems kind of underwhelming from a 'improving what the predecessor did' standpoint.

member_removed
12-10-2015, 11:46 PM
I wonder if IDW would consider adapting it in the Imagi style for a mini series or graphic novel. As a stand alone, not connected to current IDW ongoing series.