PDA

View Full Version : Video game habits of your friends and family

Prowler
10-06-2015, 02:33 PM
So I was wondering, how many of your friends and family members play games and how often?

In my family only me and my older brother play games, since we're the youngest. The rest of our family is/was old, so none play video games due to them not being around when they were kids/teenagers. My parents, both being from the 50s, consider video games childish and keep wondering why people above a certain age still enjoy them, even though they know that there's games for all ages.

As for friends and acquaintances is more complicated to pin it down. I'd say about 70% of them still play games regularly. Of course many of them mostly stick to more mainstream games like LoL, FIFA, PES, GTA, etc. Only a few of them seem to have an interest in retrogaming, and almost none are into JRPGs or PC exclusive games except for Football Manager.

Keep in mind that I'm only 24(soon to be 25), so of course many people of my age bracket still play games. I'm more interesting in reading what older uses(as in 30 and above) have to say about this. I've talked to some people in their 30s before who'e still into games and they have mentioned that most of their friends and acquaintances pretty much stopped playing games since they finished their studies and went on to get married and have kids, which is perfectly understandable. I'm also curious if some people here have parents that are into games.

Video games are one of the very few things I've always imagined I'd like forever, but let's see if life still allows me to play them in a decade or the industry does not go down the drain. There's been a time, between 2009 and 2012 where I didn't play much and thought I had gotten burn out of video games, but then came back to games around 2013 when I made a Steam account and could now play games for consoles I never bought, and plus for very cheap.

So, what about your circle of friends and family?

Etsyturtle2
10-06-2015, 02:57 PM
I played my nes regularly. I have a 3ds, wii, atari, game boy, and a ton of those plug n plays. Sold my nes. Getting a wii u. I prefer to stick with Nintendo. I'm not being childish, I just find them more fun. I play them at least once a weekend. I also play every weekday.

MsMarvelDuckie
10-06-2015, 03:23 PM
I still play games every now and then, but mostly only when the mood hits me, which is less frequently in the last few years. I tend to go for RPG's more than anything, and I play almost entirely on 360 or PC, though I still have my original Nintendo system, and it still works. My hubby actually played more often than me, until he began losing his sight this past year. We both are 40 or nearly so, and grew up with the earliest games like Pong and the very first Star Wars game, among others. So we've both watched games evolve throughout oyr lives from simple text or pixel games to what they are today.

Mew
10-06-2015, 03:28 PM
I played my nes regularly. I have a 3ds, wii, atari, game boy, and a ton of those plug n plays. Sold my nes. Getting a wii u. I prefer to stick with Nintendo. I'm not being childish, I just find them more fun. I play them at least once a weekend. I also play every weekday.
I have the Wii U and play it every day!

Prowler
10-06-2015, 03:56 PM
I still play games every now and then, but mostly only when the mood hits me, which is less frequently in the last few years. I tend to go for RPG's more than anything, and I play almost entirely on 360 or PC, though I still have my original Nintendo system, and it still works. My hubby actually played more often than me, until he began losing his sight this past year. We both are 40 or nearly so, and grew up with the earliest games like Pong and the very first Star Wars game, among others. So we've both watched games evolve throughout oyr lives from simple text or pixel games to what they are today.
What about your family, friends and acquaintances? Are many of them gamers?

Must be cool following games since the Atari and personal computer days or even before.

Etsyturtle2
10-06-2015, 05:00 PM
I have the Wii U and play it every day!

:cry::cry:lucky.... have you seen the new Mario maker? Oh yeah baby, that's going to be my first game. In fact it comes with the bundle. Wait, that means... Are you on miiverse?

Mew
10-06-2015, 05:28 PM
:cry::cry:lucky.... have you seen the new Mario maker? Oh yeah baby, that's going to be my first game. In fact it comes with the bundle. Wait, that means... Are you on miiverse?
I'm gonna be, I haven't done that yet. I'll be Ian Turtle on there.

Etsyturtle2
10-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Okay then!!!

GoldMutant
10-06-2015, 06:05 PM
My friends are pretty much a division at times. Some play on Xbox or Nintendo most often while my family doesn't seem to care for games other than apps. Often though, my cousins do compete in video games, often Kung Fu Chaos on the original Xbox.

I've always been a Nintendo guy as well as pro Sony, never Xbox. I do like the first Xbox and I do own a 360, but never have been too interested due to some lack of exclusive titles of interest. Nintendo has several of my favorite franchises on their consoles, it's why I often find myself playing them.

Consider this list my personal favorite franchises in gaming:

10. GTA/Ace Attorney (these can very well switch)
9. Bomberman
8. Donkey Kong
7. Mortal Kombat
6. Pokemon (this might be removed later)
5. Mario
4. Ratchet and Clank
3. Castlevania
2. Megaman
1. Kirby

Turo602
10-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Me, I'm a regular gamer. Been playing since I was kid. Having older siblings, I had access to the NES, Sega Genesis, Playstation, and N64. All systems before my time. I still frequently play games with my oldest brother who still consistently plays video games. My other brother plays games as well but not as often. He usually just sticks with the Playstation brand and plays but never finishes the occasional game. My sister is about the same. She enjoys Nintendo games but doesn't play much, only on her 3DS every once in a while. My parents don't play at all, though I've been told my dad had played Super Mario Bros. 3 back in the day.

PangolinFeets
10-06-2015, 08:03 PM
I really enjoy games, but I don't get much time to play anymore. But all my friends play. Then again, most of them work or manage gaming stores.

ProactiveMan
10-07-2015, 04:10 AM
My parents are in their 60s and they like to play card games on their computers. Dad got an Android tablet as a retirement gift, and he plays Spider Solitaire at least a couple of times a day.

When my sisters and I were kids, we were into NES and SNES. I probably played more PC games than they did, but they would get into adventure and racing games. We played a lot of Worms.

After we left home our habits changes somewhat. One of my sisters used to play arcade games on here laptop all the time. I gave her the Taito Legends collection one year, and she played Bubble Bobble so much that she wore out the spacebar. Since my niece was born, she doesn't really play video games, but I'm sure she'll pick them up again in some form once the kid gets a little older.

My other sister occasionally comes over to my place play SNES games, and I gave her my Wii when I bought a Wii U, so she plays Mario Kart Wii and House of the Dead games with her friends. She mostly plays New Super Mario Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns by herself. She doesn't like the '3D' Mario games though, despite my attempts to interest her in Mario Galaxy.

A lot of my friends play video games, and a lot of them don't. None of them are really 'hard core gamers' though, and I mostly only play on weekends these days.

AT-Man
10-07-2015, 04:50 AM
My parents absolutely loathe games and anything gaming related, and they're not good hiding it. Brother only plays retro games, and sister plays Kingdom Hearts, Spyro, etc. games that aren't very dark.

Prowler
10-07-2015, 12:53 PM
My parents absolutely loathe games and anything gaming related, and they're not good hiding it. Brother only plays retro games, and sister plays Kingdom Hearts, Spyro, etc. games that aren't very dark.
Why do they loathe games? Mine don't care about them, but certainly don't loathe them. They just can't seem to grasp why people born after 1980 love games so much since people of their generation(50s) didn't play video games. Kinda like many of us don't understand why kids of today love certain cartoons/franchises. It's perfectly natural.

I vaguely remember my older brother trying to get our mother into Street Fighter 2 but he beat her twice in a row with perfects, so she didn't like the experience much. :lol:

DarkFell
10-07-2015, 01:27 PM
My father and I used to play out a lot of versus bouts of Primal Rage with each other along with pinball and skeeball at an arcade called Diversions back in my junior high school days. That tapered off and he went onto playing PC games. I'm not sure what he plays anymore. My step-mother usually plays Solitaire and Mahjong.

I've always been a gamer since I was a kid, and I continue to play them to this very day with both my Genesis and with my laptop. I haven't visited an arcade since 2004 - I was rather disappointed when my favorite game machine lost my saved data due to the employers having to move the machine to an angle in the gaming room. Since I have the game, I just play at home now in days. Platform, adventure, and fighting games are some of my fave genres.

Leo656
10-07-2015, 09:06 PM
It's strange; I was born in '82 so I was like caught between two generations in a way. The "Gaming Fad" was done and Nintendo hadn't single-handedly saved the industry yet. But somehow, gaming was one of the very first things I was ever involved with. My Dad and some of his friends from work were Fad Gamers; he in particular used to play a lot of pinball and Pac-Man. Somehow he acquired an Atari 2600 and a Coleco-Vision (with the Atari 2600 add-on module) from one of his friends right around the time I was born. When I was about 3 my Dad taught me how to play Frogger and Donkey Kong and Atari Pinball and Pong. He also was a bartender on weekends, and they had a pinball machine and some other game I can't remember, but I do remember my Mom propping me up on a stool by the pinball machine every weekend. :lol: I started getting into all the different Atari games; all my Dad's friends gave up on gaming after the crash, so I ended up getting all the stuff they got rid of. :tgrin: I remember every so often he'd come home with a big box full of loose carts and spare controllers. I had like 4 copies of stupid Atari Pac-Man and Combat. :lol: Superman, Frogger and Donkey kong were my favorites, I think.

When NES came out, I used to play Super Mario Bros. at my older sister's place, and she used to come over and play Atari with me (as well as a couple NES and Super NES games when I later got into those), but otherwise nobody in my immediate family got much into games past that. My Dad pretty much stopped playing games when he saw the NES controller had more than one button. :lol: It was weird, people in my family got me into playing games but I stuck with it a lot longer and got into it a lot deeper than they ever did. My sister got into playing games a little bit again once she had kids, like she'll play Wii games with them and stuff, but only once in a while. My Mom literally never cared about games and thought they were a waste of time. My Dad, on the other hand, really liked the idea of video games even though he didn't play them. He thought they were neat and was really blown away by how advanced they got over time. He didn't play them but he liked to see other people play them, and he used to go heavy on video games as gifts each Christmas. He was pretty hip with that.

Nobody I hang out with is really as into games as me and my wife are, anymore, and I play a lot more than she does. I'unno, that's just how it's always been.

CyberCubed
10-07-2015, 09:12 PM
My family is too old to play games, although my younger siblings and cousins do.

Anyway I play games regularly from the NES to the modern year. Have every Nintendo console, and PS2/PS3/PS4. I play all the major titles that come out for every system and handheld.

I also have a huge gaming collection only selling off the crap or redundant games.

Prowler
10-08-2015, 06:24 AM
It's strange; I was born in '82 so I was like caught between two generations in a way. The "Gaming Fad" was done and Nintendo hadn't single-handedly saved the industry yet. But somehow, gaming was one of the very first things I was ever involved with. My Dad and some of his friends from work were Fad Gamers; he in particular used to play a lot of pinball and Pac-Man. Somehow he acquired an Atari 2600 and a Coleco-Vision (with the Atari 2600 add-on module) from one of his friends right around the time I was born. When I was about 3 my Dad taught me how to play Frogger and Donkey Kong and Atari Pinball and Pong. He also was a bartender on weekends, and they had a pinball machine and some other game I can't remember, but I do remember my Mom propping me up on a stool by the pinball machine every weekend. :lol: I started getting into all the different Atari games; all my Dad's friends gave up on gaming after the crash, so I ended up getting all the stuff they got rid of. :tgrin: I remember every so often he'd come home with a big box full of loose carts and spare controllers. I had like 4 copies of stupid Atari Pac-Man and Combat. :lol: Superman, Frogger and Donkey kong were my favorites, I think.

When NES came out, I used to play Super Mario Bros. at my older sister's place, and she used to come over and play Atari with me (as well as a couple NES and Super NES games when I later got into those), but otherwise nobody in my immediate family got much into games past that. My Dad pretty much stopped playing games when he saw the NES controller had more than one button. :lol: It was weird, people in my family got me into playing games but I stuck with it a lot longer and got into it a lot deeper than they ever did. My sister got into playing games a little bit again once she had kids, like she'll play Wii games with them and stuff, but only once in a while. My Mom literally never cared about games and thought they were a waste of time. My Dad, on the other hand, really liked the idea of video games even though he didn't play them. He thought they were neat and was really blown away by how advanced they got over time. He didn't play them but he liked to see other people play them, and he used to go heavy on video games as gifts each Christmas. He was pretty hip with that.

Nobody I hang out with is really as into games as me and my wife are, anymore, and I play a lot more than she does. I'unno, that's just how it's always been.
My mom was pretty impressed when she saw me playing Super Mario Sunshine back in Christmas 2002. She made a comment more or less like this "Wow games sure have come a long way, haven't they? Those buildings(Delfino plaza/city wtv) look so realistic!". I also vaguely recall her saying back in the 90s that video games wouldn't last forever and someday people would get over the fad.

My family is too old to play games, although my younger siblings and cousins do.

Anyway I play games regularly from the NES to the modern year. Have every Nintendo console, and PS2/PS3/PS4. I play all the major titles that come out for every system and handheld.

I also have a huge gaming collection only selling off the crap or redundant games.
Only me and my brother play for the same reason: the rest of our family is/was too old for games in the sense that they were all born in the 50s or before. Although even if a middle aged person picked up a controller for the first time in their lives, they'd probably struggle and not have such good hand-eye coordination.

Leo656
10-08-2015, 10:02 PM
I think my Dad "got it" because, as a kid, his "stupid pointless hobby" was comics and baseball cards. One day, he came home from school and his Mom had thrown it all out with the garbage. He was crushed, and never really got over it; he once started playfully arguing with her about it at Christmas when I was a kid, because he had a Mickey Mantle among other things and we'd be rich right now if she hadn't thrown it all out, and up to the end she insisted, "It's just stupid paper, who cares?" So he totally knew how there's a disconnect between each generation's new "toys" and why they're important. He was a bit older, I think he was born in 1945, but he tried to stay "hip" to newer things.

He wanted to be a lot more open-minded than his parents were, so he was the one who got me into games, comics, all that stuff. Other than when I'd get super frustrated at something in a game, he never once made it out to be stupid or pointless or a waste of time; he really liked games. When WCW vs. The World for Playstation was brand new, he was watching me play it and actually called his friends in to see how "amazing" it looked. :lol: And compared to the SNES games from literally two years earlier, it really was. He was always like a kid when he'd see games get better year after year; for whatever reason he never got motivated enough to actually play them, and I don't know why. He just convinced himself it had gotten "too complicated"; that makes me sad. But even after I was an adult he'd watch me play some stuff from time to time. That was cool.

My Mom on the other hand was always more into "partying" than anything else, so to her, anything that wasn't "going out with people" was a waste of time. Except arts and crafts and stuff, that was her hobby. But she thought video games were dumb. ((Shrug))

One thing I miss, was when I was a kid I used to spend summers at my cousin's house, and they had more money than we did so I'd get to play Genesis games and other systems I didn't have at home. That was neat.

When I was a kid a lot of my friends did play games, but weren't good at sharing, so a lot of times things ended up being "watching the kid whose house it is show off". Later on when the N64 WCW and WWF games came out, though, my house was the "party house' for the last couple years of high school. :lol: Two of my buddies plus an occasional rotating third would come over every Friday night, we'd get a ton of Domino's and soda, and basically play wrestling and sports games for three days straight on as little sleep as humanly possible. Those were some fun times. :tgrin:

Prowler
10-09-2015, 04:21 PM
I think my Dad "got it" because, as a kid, his "stupid pointless hobby" was comics and baseball cards. One day, he came home from school and his Mom had thrown it all out with the garbage. He was crushed, and never really got over it; he once started playfully arguing with her about it at Christmas when I was a kid, because he had a Mickey Mantle among other things and we'd be rich right now if she hadn't thrown it all out, and up to the end she insisted, "It's just stupid paper, who cares?" So he totally knew how there's a disconnect between each generation's new "toys" and why they're important. He was a bit older, I think he was born in 1945, but he tried to stay "hip" to newer things.

He wanted to be a lot more open-minded than his parents were, so he was the one who got me into games, comics, all that stuff. Other than when I'd get super frustrated at something in a game, he never once made it out to be stupid or pointless or a waste of time; he really liked games. When WCW vs. The World for Playstation was brand new, he was watching me play it and actually called his friends in to see how "amazing" it looked. :lol: And compared to the SNES games from literally two years earlier, it really was. He was always like a kid when he'd see games get better year after year; for whatever reason he never got motivated enough to actually play them, and I don't know why. He just convinced himself it had gotten "too complicated"; that makes me sad. But even after I was an adult he'd watch me play some stuff from time to time. That was cool.

My Mom on the other hand was always more into "partying" than anything else, so to her, anything that wasn't "going out with people" was a waste of time. Except arts and crafts and stuff, that was her hobby. But she thought video games were dumb. ((Shrug))

One thing I miss, was when I was a kid I used to spend summers at my cousin's house, and they had more money than we did so I'd get to play Genesis games and other systems I didn't have at home. That was neat.

When I was a kid a lot of my friends did play games, but weren't good at sharing, so a lot of times things ended up being "watching the kid whose house it is show off". Later on when the N64 WCW and WWF games came out, though, my house was the "party house' for the last couple years of high school. :lol: Two of my buddies plus an occasional rotating third would come over every Friday night, we'd get a ton of Domino's and soda, and basically play wrestling and sports games for three days straight on as little sleep as humanly possible. Those were some fun times. :tgrin:
Good ol' days when people actually had to go to other's houses or meet someone at the arcades to play co-op or multiplayer with. Nowadays it's a lot easier to find people to play with due to online play, but nothing beats playing with someone that's right next to you.