PDA

View Full Version : TMNT 1990 Questions

SDCC
10-15-2015, 03:55 AM
Hi everyone,

Last night I sat down to watch this classic with my wife, and I noticed a few things. Could anyone help me clear them up?

Is there an entire Mikey side story missing? He skips over Donnie's musings about Splinter not being around and there's no April artwork of him. We see him on the punchbag in a brief moment of intensity too. Also, is it him on the roof of the barn dubbed with Raph's voice?
I can't not see the actor's teeth when Donnie really opens his mouth in the 'Kodak moment' scene now. It's extremely unsettling.
Once you know, it's obvious how they cut out the Shredder floor fight againt the initiates. Can see Rockwell's character in the background holding his cut arm.
Did Shredder get hit twice? We clearly see Leo hit his arm, but there's a slash on his back too, which you can see when Splinter is holding him over the edge of the building.
Speaking of which, it still really annoys me that Leo just throws himself at Shredder instead of actually fighting.
Mikey and Don together is gold!

I absolutely adore this film. Just noticed more this time.

What do you guys make of the points?

Powder
10-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Not an entire story, no, but April was supposed to say during her art sequence that he was having an especially hard time being without his master. He'd be shown in the barn, giving hell to a punching bag. I wanna say I read/heard that certain parties felt this was out of character for him, being he's the comedy relief, & that's why it was cut. Yes, that was him on the roof.

If Shredder has more than one cut it's safe to say he was cut more than once.

Technogeek29
10-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Hmm.. I want to do some digging and see what I can find on the Mikey cut scenes and see what I can find.

SDCC
10-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Hmm.. I want to do some digging and see what I can find on the Mikey cut scenes and see what I can find.

It would be interesting to see what you come up with :tsmile:

Seems a shame to have cut it out. I understand he's the party dude, but there it looked like some strong characterisation cut out.

Powder
10-15-2015, 06:31 PM
All you've got to do is read the comic adaption to see what it would've been.

d_osborn
10-15-2015, 10:24 PM
There are also a few scanned script pages posted on this forum that have the cut Mikey farm sequence. April sketch props were made for the Mike scene, as well.

Powder
10-15-2015, 10:38 PM
Indeed:

http://i58.tinypic.com/244bj1z.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/w8kgbd.jpg

No doubt they'd have used the second one.

SDCC
10-16-2015, 03:44 AM
All you've got to do is read the comic adaption to see what it would've been.

I don't own the adaptation so can't check it I'm afraid.

Good to see the sketch though, thanks. It set me off on a google, where I found the four original sketches had been auctioned a few years ago. What I'd have given to have that Leo sketch!

I did a search for the script pages but nothing came up. I'll look on the net but if anyone could post a link that would be great :)

The Fifth Turtle
10-17-2015, 08:32 PM
There are repros of the Leo sketch on eBay if that strikes your fancy.

SDCC
10-19-2015, 06:06 AM
There are repros of the Leo sketch on eBay if that strikes your fancy.

We must have been thinking along the same lines! I just got this at the weekend!

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/sdcc85/b26bd5bd-6d03-4b90-aabc-69afa983ea67.jpg

Yabuturtle
10-19-2015, 11:07 AM
I remember Nostalgia Critic talking about Mikey ignoring Don talking about Splinter being gone and he speculated that the thought of Splinter being gone is so painful, Mikey would rather not think about it. During the campfire scene you see Mikey cry the hardest at well and it's a good theory.

The Fifth Turtle
11-19-2015, 07:20 PM
We must have been thinking along the same lines! I just got this at the weekend!

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/sdcc85/b26bd5bd-6d03-4b90-aabc-69afa983ea67.jpg

How's the quality? I kinda want one.

shuriken
11-20-2015, 01:04 AM
Once you know, it's obvious how they cut out the Shredder floor fight againt the initiates. Can see Rockwell's character in the background holding his cut arm.
Did Shredder get hit twice? We clearly see Leo hit his arm, but there's a slash on his back too, which you can see when Splinter is holding him over the edge of the building.
?

Yeah, there's a couple of them looking hurt and dejected.
They clearly didn't show the whole fight because he was cut twice. It might've been Raph or a swift Bow strike to tear it. Who knows, I'm sure they weren't going to show every single blow landed on the Shredder (Unless if he was only *hit* twice). Either way really enjoy the Final fight in this movie.

myconius
11-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Speaking of which, it still really annoys me that Leo just throws himself at Shredder instead of actually fighting.

that always bothered me from the very first time seeing the movie!
what were they thinking???

and i never really understood the decision to swap out the solo fight with Leo versus the Foot Clan with Raph?

some people say it was a reason to get Casey to show up to the Second Time Around during the Foot attack.
but it's usually never questioned when Casey shows up in Mirage V1 issue 10.

Technogeek29
11-20-2015, 05:00 PM
that always bothered me from the very first time seeing the movie!
what were they thinking???

and i never really understood the decision to swap out the solo fight with Leo versus the Foot Clan with Raph?

some people say it was a reason to get Casey to show up to the Second Time Around during the Foot attack.

That's because in Issue 4 Casey is smoking a cigarette from the building across the street watching the 4 of them talk to April. Most likely he saw them throw Leo in and snucked in while during the chaos.

myconius
11-21-2015, 12:21 AM
That's because in Issue 4 Casey is smoking a cigarette from the building across the street watching the 4 of them talk to April. Most likely he saw them throw Leo in and snucked in while during the chaos.

see??? they could have played out that scenario in the 1990 movie, instead of switching it to give Raphael the spotlight even more than he already had.

but it's all moot at this point, just like wishing the film had less Danny!

Leo656
11-21-2015, 12:28 AM
It could've been worse. At the time the first movie came out, Mikey was the one all the kids were nuts over. We could have had HIM be the "starring Turtle" of the film and they'd have every excuse to do so, since his jokes and catchphrases were about 7/10s what kids watched the show for in the first place.

Original Film Series Mikey is my favorite Mikey by far, but... yeah, that would've been awful.

Frankly, as the Team Leader, Leonardo should by default be the main character to get focused on, but little kids don't like the whole "Big Brother" thing so I understand why he always has to play second-fiddle to "The Rage" and "The Nitwit", since those are just the right kind of one-note archetypes that kids and teens relate to. And cartoons and movies can't have "characters", especially in a team scenario. Everyone has to have "A Role". Leo's not flawed enough to focus on, so his "role" is to be "boring", by way of actually having his sh*t together and helping everyone get things done, and since that's not "colorful" or "exciting" enough he mostly "leads" from just off to the side of the screen.

Pisses me off but whattyagonnado.

Xav
11-21-2015, 03:08 AM
I don't own the adaptation so can't check it I'm afraid.You can find it online if you know where to look.
Frankly, as the Team Leader, Leonardo should by default be the main character to get focused on, but little kids don't like the whole "Big Brother" thing so I understand why he always has to play second-fiddle to "The Rage" and "The Nitwit", since those are just the right kind of one-note archetypes that kids and teens relate to.What about the 4Kids series? Leo got the focus in that.

Leo656
11-21-2015, 03:31 AM
It's one of my favorite versions of TMNT, as well as being among the most-ignored by the general public, thus proving my point thoroughly from both ends. :)

Bry
11-21-2015, 10:37 PM
I remember Nostalgia Critic talking about Mikey ignoring Don talking about Splinter being gone and he speculated that the thought of Splinter being gone is so painful, Mikey would rather not think about it. During the campfire scene you see Mikey cry the hardest at well and it's a good theory.

That was my read on it even as a kid. I loved Mikey most because he was the "fun one", but the movie had such perfect, fairly-subtle hints at his hidden emotional depth that endeared me to him even more. The "fun" guy who uses his natural humour and goofiness as a defense mechanism. Yeah, that hit home a bit.

I think it was a simple storytelling decision -- the most sensible choice for the story they're telling. I think that scene/scenario works best with Leo, but only if you've fully established the characters and put them through some crises already. In the story they were telling, as a self-contained film, it made the most sense for Raph to go off recklessly and get in over his head. IMO.

Leo656
11-22-2015, 12:02 AM
Yeah man. Like there's change for change's sake, and there's change to streamline the story or make it more accessible, and if it serves the story, then that's okay. You can twist things a little bit to take advantage of the differences between the adaptation and the source material. As long as it fits the story being told and isn't arbitrary.

I hadn't seen the comics yet, so in my head I still generally see that scenario as a "Raphael Scenario" rather than a Leo one. When I found out that in the comics the whole thing actually happened to Leo, I thought that was neat, but I immediately understood why it was different for the movie and was totally okay with it. Leo's my favorite character, it's a great scene with him in it, and if he was the central focus of the movie then it would have been awesome to see, really powerful stuff, but the fact is it was Raphael's movie so having him take the hit simply made more sense for that story. If Mike or Donnie had somehow been the focus of the movie, I expect it would have been the same thing as well. I always wanted to see Leo be the focus of the movie, or A movie, but I made peace with that a long time ago. I mean there was 2K7 but that wasn't all that great. The fact he got a lot of play was like the best thing about it, and some people don't even like the way that was handled, so I kind of don't count it.

Maybe with the next reboot, it'll be a little more like the comics or 2K3 and Leo will be more of a central character, and maybe they'll finally do a similar scene with him in place of Raph. As for the original film, it was a justifiable change under the circumstances.

Bry
11-22-2015, 12:15 AM
I feel like it would've played great as a Leo sequence in a sequel. Put the characters through their paces in the first one, establish why Leo is the leader... and then have him beaten nearly to death in part two and have things spiral out from there. Same as the comics, 2003 and 2012 series did, but as the typical "middle movie" dark period of a trilogy, that'd work amazingly well.

Zero complaints about the transfer to Raph in the 1990 movie, though! Because it made a lot of sense for that story and it worked really well.

myconius
11-22-2015, 02:23 PM
It could've been worse. At the time the first movie came out, Mikey was the one all the kids were nuts over. We could have had HIM be the "starring Turtle" of the film and they'd have every excuse to do so, since his jokes and catchphrases were about 7/10s what kids watched the show for in the first place.

Original Film Series Mikey is my favorite Mikey by far, but... yeah, that would've been awful.

Frankly, as the Team Leader, Leonardo should by default be the main character to get focused on, but little kids don't like the whole "Big Brother" thing so I understand why he always has to play second-fiddle to "The Rage" and "The Nitwit", since those are just the right kind of one-note archetypes that kids and teens relate to. And cartoons and movies can't have "characters", especially in a team scenario. Everyone has to have "A Role". Leo's not flawed enough to focus on, so his "role" is to be "boring", by way of actually having his sh*t together and helping everyone get things done, and since that's not "colorful" or "exciting" enough he mostly "leads" from just off to the side of the screen.

of all the thoughts i have on them switching Leo for Raph, but i just got this awful thought of them having lovable goofy Mikey all by himself get cornered by the Foot clan, beaten nearly to death and then tossed through April's window!!!
it's absolutely horrible!!! but kinda funny in way? xD

JonesyKitty
12-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Slightly off topic but does anyone know what the deal is with the unproduced R-rated movie before the 1990 original came out? I heard about it on ToonedUp 107 TMNT facts video. I tried looking it up but can't find much other than the same small quote on various sites about there being an unproduced R-rated movie with the turtles fighting semi-nude nuns on rollerskates. Any insight on this? Im seriously confused and curious as to what the heck this was.

d_osborn
12-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Slightly off topic but does anyone know what the deal is with the unproduced R-rated movie before the 1990 original came out? I heard about it on ToonedUp 107 TMNT facts video. I tried looking it up but can't find much other than the same small quote on various sites about there being an unproduced R-rated movie with the turtles fighting semi-nude nuns on rollerskates. Any insight on this? Im seriously confused and curious as to what the heck this was.
It hasn't been mentioned in many interviews. New World Pictures (post-Roger Corman) approached Eastman and Laird with a short treatment for a more schlocky adaptation. I believe this was the one that was pitched as having then-current comedians in costumes and face paint. The nuns also had uzis. :lol:

JonesyKitty
12-05-2015, 10:04 PM
It hasn't been mentioned in many interviews. New World Pictures (post-Roger Corman) approached Eastman and Laird with a short treatment for a more schlocky adaptation. I believe this was the one that was pitched as having then-current comedians in costumes and face paint. The nuns also had uzis. :lol:
Haha awesome thanks for the info. :tlol:

myconius
12-08-2015, 06:40 PM

i re-read issue #4 recently. i don't think that's Casey.
the very first time i read that i always felt it was someone nefarious. possibly the person who relayed the Turtles location to the Foot clan?

in Issue #10 when Casey shows up, he said he was tailing the Foot-

"you aren't the same good looking bunch a' dudes i followed here a minute ago-- i thought this would be a happening gig!"

at least that's how i interpreted it?

Masterpiece
01-29-2016, 02:59 AM

The reason why Raph was focused on a lot because, as stated by Splinter in-film, "he is unique among his brothers".

I don't mind Leo being focused on, but he should not be portrayed as a "perfect older brother".

Which is what the Original 1990 Movie nailed.
Leo didn't want to take up his responsibilities as leader seriously.
He wanted to enjoy his childhood, playing and goofing off with Mikey and Donnie.
The reason why he and Raph butt heads in the original film is because Leo's calm and laid-back nature clashes with Raph's uber-serious and cynical attitude.

It's only after his negligence as leader ends up with Raph seriously injured does Leo start to grow into the leader that everyone wants (and needs) him to be.

Honestly, the way Leo was written as a character in the original movie makes him the best version of Leo out there (at least in my opinion).

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
02-09-2016, 12:41 PM
I still think that alot of the deliberate attempts at humor is the movie's biggest flaw, most of them fall flat. Why was shredder fighting new foot soldiers cut out? The movie also would have been way better if shredder got more screen time.

shuriken
03-07-2016, 05:41 PM
It's one of my favorite versions of TMNT, as well as being among the most-ignored by the general public, thus proving my point thoroughly from both ends. :)
This, we can agree on.
But it was neat how Leo had that character arc in becoming a better leader. Hell of a lot better than TMNT I'll say that much.

thundermaster612
03-07-2016, 06:34 PM

Actually that wasn't Casey. According to Eastman and Laird in the Vol. 1 book for the Mirage comics, it was supposed to be Shredder or a Foot Soldier watching them but they never touched up on that part.

myconius
03-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Actually that wasn't Casey. According to Eastman and Laird in the Vol. 1 book for the Mirage comics, it was supposed to be Shredder or a Foot Soldier watching them but they never touched up on that part.

yeah, that had to be a villain watching them. in issue #10 when Casey shows up he makes a statement that he was following the Foot into the Shop because they looked shady.

in Issue #10 when Casey shows up, he said he was tailing the Foot-

"you aren't the same good looking bunch a' dudes i followed here a minute ago-- i thought this would be a happening gig!"

SwiftNinjaFox
03-11-2016, 01:53 PM

Interesting you note this. I've always had the same feeling as you, yet as a the target demographic at that time (born in 81 here)..... Leo has always been my favorite.

I hate that they never utilize him anywhere but the comics. Mirage and IDW both showed him as a proper badass taking on a mass of Foot on his own holding his own, if not winning, until Shredder trumps him. He's arguably the most advanced in ninjutsu, a leader, and a strategist, but everyone just writes him off as "boy scout."

Frustrates me even more that, in a martial arts story, Raph is so often shown as "brute force and anger bests discipline every time." -_-

Kind of a similar disappointment in the X-Men movies focusing on Wolverine. I think Wolvie/Raph should be supporting roles that steal scenes left and right rather than the focus.

myconius
03-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Interesting you note this. I've always had the same feeling as you, yet as a the target demographic at that time (born in 81 here)..... Leo has always been my favorite.

I hate that they never utilize him anywhere but the comics. Mirage and IDW both showed him as a proper badass taking on a mass of Foot on his own holding his own, if not winning, until Shredder trumps him. He's arguably the most advanced in ninjutsu, a leader, and a strategist, but everyone just writes him off as "boy scout."

Frustrates me even more that, in a martial arts story, Raph is so often shown as "brute force and anger bests discipline every time." -_-

Kind of a similar disappointment in the X-Men movies focusing on Wolverine. I think Wolvie/Raph should be supporting roles that steal scenes left and right rather than the focus.

i couldn't have said it better myself!
ever since i was a kid watching fantasy movies as well as martial arts films, i've just always loved sword wielding characters. (especially dual wielding)
so as soon as i discovered the Ninja Turtles Leo was it!!!
it's just narrow minded and lazy writing to portray Leonardo as a boy scout.
there's so much that can be done with him as a character, same with the complexity of Donatello.
but i guess it's easier to just focus on the funny guy or the angry guy?

Punker
03-27-2016, 11:33 PM
It's funny, because I've probably watched this movie like 1,000 times, and I somehow never noticed that Shredder had a cut on his back. I had to go back just to watch that part after I read this. Watching through that whole scene, they have a couple cut scenes during the fight, so I'm guessing that he probably got sliced off screen.

DonatelloDomeHead31
03-28-2016, 12:00 AM
There was a thread here on the forum that showed the scene where Raphael shouts from the farm rooftop: "Splinter!"

I cannot find the image, but I remember someone saying that its really Michaelangelo standing on the roof...but with Raphael's voice.

I never really noticed because the scene happens so fast.

d_osborn
03-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Yeah, it's Mikey. You can see the belt tube for his weapons in the shot. Here's an excerpt from the script.

http://i.imgur.com/dcgFhfS.jpg

myconius
03-28-2016, 10:56 AM
There was a thread here on the forum that showed the scene where Raphael shouts from the farm rooftop: "Splinter!"

I cannot find the image, but I remember someone saying that its really Michaelangelo standing on the roof...but with Raphael's voice.

I never really noticed because the scene happens so fast.

Yeah, it's Mikey. You can see the belt tube for his weapons in the shot. Here's an excerpt from the script.

http://i.imgur.com/dcgFhfS.jpg

yeah! that's SO weird because that definitely sounded like Raph's voice!

d_osborn
03-28-2016, 11:04 AM
yeah! that's SO weird because that definitely sounded like Raph's voice!
It was Raph's voice, the production redubbed the shot in post.

Andrew NDB
03-28-2016, 11:51 AM
That's because in Issue 4 Casey is smoking a cigarette from the building across the street watching the 4 of them talk to April.

I always took that as random Foot surveillance people.

Maybe with the next reboot, it'll be a little more like the comics or 2K3

http://www.whitespace.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/laughter.jpg

Chabrendeki
03-28-2016, 12:06 PM

In the Ultimate Collection vol 1. p. 195 Laird says to that scene:

Mid page 19 we show a guy looking at her [April's] apartment with a spyglass from across the way, smoking. I think the plan was that this was the Shredder - or some of his Foot Clan spying on them - but I don't think we ever did a payoff on that scene. Interesting!

Happens in #4 just before the attack on the TCRI building.

myconius
03-28-2016, 01:09 PM
It was Raph's voice, the production redubbed the shot in post.

ah! thank you! :)

http://www.whitespace.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/laughter.jpg

Happens in #4 just before the attack on the TCRI building.

it definitely wasn't Casey like Technogeek29 thought it was.

but i always took it as some sort of villain?

Masterpiece
03-31-2016, 04:37 AM

They utilized Leo well in the Original Movie, in my opinion.

Even though a lot of scenes of Leo wiping the floor with the Foot were cut, there's more to Leo than that.

Out of his brothers he's the best at meditating, being the first to make contact with Splinter. And in the original script, he's the only Turtle to make contact with Splinter - the others fail to do so.

The most disciplined of the brothers, Leo obviously lasts the longest against Shredder.

Heck you can even say that Raph in the movie is the worst fighter. Sure Raph gets into a lot of fights, but he only gains a solo victory once via the element of surprise. All other fights Raph gets in he either loses or gets help from his brothers.

Heck, against Shredder, all of the other Turtles lasted longer than Raph did.

And as I said before, aside from being portrayed as a flawed but improving leader, Leo is also shown as a wonderful big brother.
THAT is what is usually lacking from modern incarnations.

Masterpiece
03-31-2016, 04:46 AM
i couldn't have said it better myself!
ever since i was a kid watching fantasy movies as well as martial arts films, i've just always loved sword wielding characters. (especially dual wielding)
so as soon as i discovered the Ninja Turtles Leo was it!!!
it's just narrow minded and lazy writing to portray Leonardo as a boy scout.
there's so much that can be done with him as a character, same with the complexity of Donatello.
but i guess it's easier to just focus on the funny guy or the angry guy?

Leo in the 1990 Movie was pretty complex.

He was an awesome leader but had flaws. He could be laid-back, he could get baleful. He knew when to be fun-loving and when to get serious... most of the time.

If I had to describe his character arc in one sentence it would be this:
He grew up from a carefree kid into a mature young leader, ready to take on the world.

Donnie
03-31-2016, 09:54 AM
I would agree with those before me, Leonardo was very well written in the first movie. He showed strength, discipline, but also struggle and fragility in the face of almost-certain defeat. In fact, all four Turtles had significant character development throughout the whole film.

myconius
03-31-2016, 10:54 AM
Leo in the 1990 Movie was pretty complex.

He was an awesome leader but had flaws. He could be laid-back, he could get baleful. He knew when to be fun-loving and when to get serious... most of the time.

If I had to describe his character arc in one sentence it would be this:
He grew up from a carefree kid into a mature young leader, ready to take on the world.

I would agree with those before me, Leonardo was very well written in the first movie. He showed strength, discipline, but also struggle and fragility in the face of almost-certain defeat. In fact, all four Turtles had significant character development throughout the whole film.

the 1990 movie is still one of the BEST interpretations of the character!
the writers really put a lot of thought into his character, and i really liked the level of emotion Brian Tochi brought as well!

for all it's silliness i also really like Seth Green's performance of Leonardo in the Nick series as well. but for me the 1990 version is still the best interpretation.
even though it's the same universe 'Secret of the Ooze' lost a lot of the character they developed, once they became more 'Kid-Friendly' and sanitized.

pferreira
03-31-2016, 03:14 PM

Happens in #4 just before the attack on the TCRI building.Wow, I always wondered what that was about. I thought it was someone at TCRI. Thanks for the info! :)

Masterpiece
04-03-2016, 05:47 AM
the 1990 movie is still one of the BEST interpretations of the character!
the writers really put a lot of thought into his character, and i really liked the level of emotion Brian Tochi brought as well!

for all it's silliness i also really like Seth Green's performance of Leonardo in the Nick series as well. but for me the 1990 version is still the best interpretation.
even though it's the same universe 'Secret of the Ooze' lost a lot of the character they developed, once they became more 'Kid-Friendly' and sanitized.

Indeed.

And for me, the 1990 movie is where it's at.

The sequels are non-existent to me.

myconius
04-03-2016, 07:49 AM
indeed.

And for me, the 1990 movie is where it's at.

The sequels are non-existent to me.

here here!!!!!! :D