PDA

View Full Version : TMNT 2 Marketing Speculation Thread

Foombamaroom
10-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Well, TMNT 2 has been done filming for about 2-3 months now. So, when's that first teaser gonna come out? My guess is around December with Star Wars: The Force Awakens. That'd honestly be a perfect marketing spot for anyone.

Mew
10-18-2015, 07:58 AM
I wonder how the new figures will be, assuming they make them.

chrisdude
10-18-2015, 09:31 AM
TMNT toys are some of the best selling toys of all toys, these days. They'll definitely make new ones. That also assures the turtles will be redesigned. At least their clothes.

TigerClaw
10-18-2015, 09:40 AM
My guess is we won't see the new figures until the next Toy Fair, cause that's how they got leaked for the first movie, besides how the Turtles will look in the new one, I would guess nothing has changed, but what people are mostly interested about is how Bebop and Rocksteady looks, So hopefully we will see some leaks of those toys sometime.

The sequel comes out on June 3rd 2016, So I would guess we could see a trailer maybe sometime in November or December, possibly in the begining of January?

Powder
10-18-2015, 02:45 PM
The toy packaging art was designed in May/June so I'd like to think they've got their stuff lined up already, but who knows.

sdp
10-18-2015, 03:35 PM
This isn't a huge movie that needs a teaser trailer 1 year before and if we go by the marketing they had for the last movie didn't they wait until the last possible minute? Very bad marketing in fact I'm surprised it did as well as it did. Releasing a trailer in December is a terrible idea, it won't get any attention, Star Wars is getting all the attention from this Monday until January. Look at how ignored the first Batman v Superman trailer was because they released it at the same time as the SW one, while the second trailer got many more people interested, it wasn't that they weren't but SW just absorbed all the attention. Which is another big point BvS is another big movie and it'd be dumb for any teaser or trailer to release when their third trailer comes out. Most character designs will be revealed in Toy Fair though, I'm not sure if we'll get leaks this time since we know what the turtles look like while last time it was a big secret so everyone wanted to know, there's not as many people who care about Rocksteady/Beebop.

They have to be careful, this time TMNT is being released closer to other big movies, last time only Guardians of the Galaxy bit into their B.O. but this time we have the new Alice movie and X-Men movies the week before, I don't think it'll affect too much since Alice is a different audience and people might be superheroed out after BvS and Civil War but both will still affect TMNT and the week after you have Finding Dory and War Craft which will definitely take the spotlight quickly away from TMNT2. So unless they step up the marketing and it's a better movie they are in a bit of trouble, the should've released it around the same time as the first movie.

TigerClaw
10-18-2015, 03:39 PM
This isn't a huge movie that needs a teaser trailer 1 year before and if we go by the marketing they had for the last movie didn't they wait until the last possible minute? Very bad marketing in fact I'm surprised it did as well as it did. Releasing a trailer in December is a terrible idea, it won't get any attention, Star Wars is getting all the attention from this Monday until January. Look at how ignored the first Batman v Superman trailer was because they released it at the same time as the SW one, while the second trailer got many more people interested, it wasn't that they weren't but SW just absorbed all the attention. Which is another big point BvS is another big movie and it'd be dumb for any teaser or trailer to release when their third trailer comes out. Most character designs will be revealed in Toy Fair though, I'm not sure if we'll get leaks this time since we know what the turtles look like while last time it was a big secret so everyone wanted to know, there's not as many people who care about Rocksteady/Beebop.

They have to be careful, this time TMNT is being released closer to other big movies, last time only Guardians of the Galaxy bit into their B.O. but this time we have the new Alice movie and X-Men movies the week before, I don't think it'll affect too much since Alice is a different audience and people might be superheroed out after BvS and Civil War but both will still affect TMNT and the week after you have Finding Dory and War Craft which will definitely take the spotlight quickly away from TMNT2. So unless they step up the marketing and it's a better movie they are in a bit of trouble, the should've released it around the same time as the first movie.
What if the trailer is shown before The Force Awakens? there's always that possibility, where they add some trailers of some big movies right in front of a big movie release.

Vicky82
10-18-2015, 04:29 PM
I don't know what other big movies Paramount got out next year so I expect they are going to mostly focus on TMNT 2 and promote it like crazy. Last year they were more focused in promoting Transformers.

I can't imagine Alice in Wonderland 2 doing all that great (bad move bringing out the same week as X-Men), I expect it will be at no 2 in the US top 10 With X-Men at no 1 and then a week later TMNT 2 will be at no 1 and then I expect Warcraft will take the top spot a week later.

Foombamaroom
10-18-2015, 04:33 PM
The marketing in and of itself has to be good. Us here at the Technodrome know that this movie is going to suck, but the public audience doesn't. This is the sequel, so they have a chance to fool the public. Focus on Bebop and Rocksteady and the Turtles.

Also, I hope we get good looks at Bebop, Rocksteady, Shredder, and Krang(?) sometime soon. I'm actually excited to see what they look like.

sdp
10-18-2015, 04:47 PM
What if the trailer is shown before The Force Awakens? there's always that possibility, where they add some trailers of some big movies right in front of a big movie release.
I don't know what goes into having your trailer before a movie, could be but seems unlikely.

The marketing in and of itself has to be good. Us here at the Technodrome know that this movie is going to suck, but the public audience doesn't. This is the sequel, so they have a chance to fool the public. Focus on Bebop and Rocksteady and the Turtles.

Also, I hope we get good looks at Bebop, Rocksteady, Shredder, and Krang(?) sometime soon. I'm actually excited to see what they look like.

Did you see the movie? Then how do you already know it sucks? If it sucks why do you care what they look like?

Etsyturtle2
10-18-2015, 05:09 PM

Isnt star wars disney and tmnt paramount, different companies?

TigerClaw
10-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Isnt star wars disney and tmnt paramount, different companies?
They showed trailers from other companies in front of screenings for these movies before.

Galactus
10-18-2015, 05:50 PM
TMNT toys are some of the best selling toys of all toys, these days. They'll definitely make new ones. That also assures the turtles will be redesigned. At least their clothes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the toys based on the movie did well at all.

In fact it's surprising there wasn't more merchandising in general for a TMNT movie. Only one wave of action figures, no console game, not even comic book tie ins.

Slightly less surprised that we've got little in the ways of interviews from Dave Green and others involved in the movie. I can see why as even though I think Liebesman and co made a valiant effort to try and win over fans but ultimately we could see between the lines of what the movie was going to be so it just made things worse.

I suspect they think the less put out there the less opportunity for fans to get up in arms and pre-judge the movie. Same deal with the trailers, they'll leave that until the last minute to minimize any negative impact.

sdp
10-18-2015, 06:16 PM
I don't think they did very well but then again I don't see any TMNT merchandise move here in my country so I don't know. Take into account that in the original toyline there was only one small wave of movie figures, no movie game either. Comic tie ins don't matter since comics are dead and no licensed game gets a console game anymore unless it's a guaranteed seller, the vg market has changed a lot in recent years, the reason the 3DS got one is because it's still profitable there. The only reason the 2007 got so many toys is because the 2k3 line had pretty much died by then.

They waited till the end in the last movie as well to minimize internet criticism and the movie did fine. The general audience isn't a hardcore nerd on the internet so as long as it's entertaining it's fine.

Autbot_Benz
10-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the toys based on the movie did well at all.

In fact it's surprising there wasn't more merchandising in general for a TMNT movie. Only one wave of action figures, no console game, not even comic book tie ins.

Slightly less surprised that we've got little in the ways of interviews from Dave Green and others involved in the movie. I can see why as even though I think Liebesman and co made a valiant effort to try and win over fans but ultimately we could see between the lines of what the movie was going to be so it just made things worse.

I suspect they think the less put out there the less opportunity for fans to get up in arms and pre-judge the movie. Same deal with the trailers, they'll leave that until the last minute to minimize any negative impact.

you are right Galactus the bayturtle figures still shelf warm to this day.

Powder
10-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Comic tie ins don't matter since comics are dead .

That's totally wrong, & in addition to that, physical comics are doing better than digital ones.

sdp
10-18-2015, 07:27 PM
That's totally wrong, & in addition to that, physical comics are doing better than digital ones.

My bad, let me fix that: comics continue dying as they have for the past decade and ever more irrelevant.

A title that sells a lot today is a title that would be cancelled in the 90s because of bad sales. Of course physical comics sell better because they sell to collectors who buy various copies to get the different covers which if the store wants to get those covers they have to buy even more copies from the publisher. It'd be worrisome if digital doesn't outsell physical eventually though since the only way comics can continue and not die out is if they get the newer generations who use tablets and smartphones to read stuff, that's the only way, adapt or die. Physical can always exist for collectors/enthusiasts/niche, but the only way comics can last and be relevant to people is this way.

Jester
10-18-2015, 07:32 PM
Is a medium really "dying" if it's been doing do so for "decades"?

Powder
10-18-2015, 07:37 PM
By that logic, art, music, & healthy food are also dying.

sdp
10-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Is a medium really "dying" if it's been doing do so for "decades"?
It's been slowly dying; yes sales have kept slowing down so it continuing. That's how it works. Unless they get new generations interested it's not going to get any better.

By that logic, art, music, & healthy food are also dying. Art died a long time ago ;) Music is pretty much digital now of course you have your niches like LPs and people who still hang to CDs but whatever you could still buy casette tapes in the early 00's. And yeah f-ck physical food, that's dying as well, it's all about soylent green now jeeze.

Technogeek29
10-18-2015, 09:44 PM
It's been slowly dying; yes sales have kept slowing down so it continuing. That's how it works. Unless they get new generations interested it's not going to get any better.

Art died a long time ago ;) Music is pretty much digital now of course you have your niches like LPs and people who still hang to CDs but whatever you could still buy casette tapes in the early 00's. And yeah f-ck physical food, that's dying as well, it's all about soylent green now jeeze.

Ughhh please be joking?

letscook89
10-19-2015, 12:13 PM
They won't show us something until January. I think they will wait the end of the "Star wars 7 wave".

Can you tell me when is the Toy Fair ?

Vicky82
10-19-2015, 12:19 PM
I looking forward to the end of the Star Wars wave, This is 1 movie I won't be seeing, not even if they pay me a £10000 to see it.

The trailer will probably come out near the same time as the X-Men trailer and Warcraft trailer. The teaser trailer is already out (in cinema's anyway) for the next Alice in Wonderland movie.

Powder
10-19-2015, 01:14 PM
They won't show us something until January. I think they will wait the end of the "Star wars 7 wave".

Can you tell me when is the Toy Fair ?

This is what I'm thinking, too.

Toy Fair is in February, I believe.

Etsyturtle2
10-19-2015, 02:47 PM
I looking forward to the end of the Star Wars wave, This is 1 movie I won't be seeing, not even if they pay me a £10000 to see it.

The trailer will probably come out near the same time as the X-Men trailer and Warcraft trailer. The teaser trailer is already out (in cinema's anyway) for the next Alice in Wonderland movie.

That's a lot... Why not?

Vicky82
10-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Star Wars has never appealed to me, I have tried watching them (some of the 1st and 2nd one, never watched the 3rd, saw some of the 1st prequel, haven't seen the other 2 prequels) but I end up getting bored and turn the channel over.

It's not just Star Wars it's also Star Trek and Planet of the Apes movies too.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Star Wars has never appealed to me, I have tried watching them (some of the 1st and 2nd one, never watched the 3rd, saw some of the 1st prequel, haven't seen the other 2 prequels) but I end up getting bored and turn the channel over.

So... not a fan of sci-fi in general then?

TigerClaw
10-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Star Wars has appealed to me since I was a kid, it was the movie that got me into scifi movies.

Powder
10-19-2015, 04:25 PM

You're not alone.

So... not a fan of sci-fi in general then?

More like not a fan of dialogue heavy human crew on spaceship series'.

Sci-fi in general encompasses a LOT. Monsters, aliens, robots, time-travel, parallel universes, etc. Lots of my favorite things are sci-fi yet don't necessarily revolve around the themes featured in SW or ST. TMNT is sci-fi a lot of the time.

ToTheNines
10-19-2015, 06:16 PM
But what about Space Heroes?

Etsyturtle2
10-19-2015, 06:57 PM

I'm not big on Star Wars either. I would sit throughout for that much though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-19-2015, 07:10 PM
You're not alone.

More like not a fan of dialogue heavy human crew on spaceship series'.

Sci-fi in general encompasses a LOT. Monsters, aliens, robots, time-travel, parallel universes, etc. Lots of my favorite things are sci-fi yet don't necessarily revolve around the themes featured in SW or ST. TMNT is sci-fi a lot of the time.

Oh absolutely. But those are three prominent sci-fi franchises. If you don't like any of those, you're one of two things:

#1 A hardcore uber-scifi geek who likes a lot of stuff, just most of it obscure or not what most people immediately think of as sci-fi
OR
#2 Not into sci-fi at all and generalize all scifi into easy boxes like that

Given the info we have, it's more likely they're not into sci-fi as opposed to them being into Jack Campbell, Isaac Asimov, and Battlestar Galactica. :tlol:

TigerClaw
10-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Oh absolutely. But those are three prominent sci-fi franchises. If you don't like any of those, you're one of two things:

#1 A hardcore uber-scifi geek who likes a lot of stuff, just most of it obscure or not what most people immediately think of as sci-fi
OR

Given the info we have, it's more likely they're not into sci-fi as opposed to them being into Jack Campbell, Isaac Asimov, and Battlestar Galactica. :tlol:
There are also those who are into the type of scifi that involves real science.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-19-2015, 07:40 PM
There are also those who are into the type of scifi that involves real science.

I feel comfortable lumping that into category #1. :tsmile:

But yeah, I'm not much into Star Wars myself... if I was, my username would be even longer.

SithCylonsKlingonsDaleks? Hutts--no, definitely not that.

Foombamaroom
10-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Did you see the movie? Then how do you already know it sucks? If it sucks why do you care what they look like?

lmao, if it's great, I'll write a letter about how wrong I was. But it's the same producers of the first movie, the same writers, and the same lead. I'm willing to bet it'll suck.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-19-2015, 08:14 PM
lmao, if it's great, I'll write a letter about how wrong I was. But it's the same producers of the first movie, the same writers, and the same lead. I'm willing to bet it'll suck.

If anyone is willing, I'll bet on the terrible outcome of this sequel. Poor characterization, generic plot, crap editing, more Megan Fox ass.

Vegas won't give me odds on it. :tlol:

Powder
10-19-2015, 09:41 PM

OR

I don't fall under either category. Not everything is so simple. People like what they like & it's a broad genre.

MsMarvelDuckie
10-19-2015, 09:42 PM
About the same odds as Dale Earnhardt Jr. winning the championship, at this point. NASCAR fans will get the joke here.... :trazz:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-19-2015, 09:53 PM
I don't fall under either category. Not everything is so simple. People like what they like & it's a broad genre.

I retract my blanket statement forthwith.

Outta curiosity, how would you describe your scifi tastes?

Powder
10-19-2015, 09:58 PM
I can't narrow it down, I just try a thing & either dig it or don't dig it. :trazz:

I'm open to pretty much whatever except for space fleet stuff.

massakre
10-20-2015, 06:04 AM

same here.. including Star Trek/Planet of the Apes.. but i respect the hell out of the Star Wars' following still going strong after all of these years. that is pretty amazing, i must say. i caught the trailer during last night's game and you could even sense the broadcaster getting excited when he introduced the new trailer.

Leo656
10-20-2015, 09:03 PM
I'unno man. I'm hardly the biggest Star Wars fan... I'm a Big Fan but not obsessive... but to me it's always been one of those, "C'mon, HOW do you not like it?" kinda things. :trazz:

And it's frustrating, because people can explain it to me in perfect detail, and it's like, "No, I get it, I just completely don't understand it." :lol:

chrisdude
10-20-2015, 10:13 PM

In fact it's surprising there wasn't more merchandising in general for a TMNT movie. Only one wave of action figures, no console game, not even comic book tie ins.I really have no idea how well the movie toys sold compared to the cartoon toys, but they're still in stores.

As far as the merchandising, wouldn't that be connected to the budget issues? The lack of comic tie-ins shocked me, considering all the Paramount/IDW tie-ins their already are.

But do movies really get console games anymore? Like, at all? I feel like anything over a mobile game is a win, these days.

I suspect they think the less put out there the less opportunity for fans to get up in arms and pre-judge the movie. Same deal with the trailers, they'll leave that until the last minute to minimize any negative impact.Agreed.

sethmartin
10-28-2015, 04:59 PM
The last movie didn't even release a teaser until 3 1/2 months before the movie came out. So I doubt we'll see anything official until February

TurtleMikey
10-28-2015, 11:55 PM
The last movie didn't even release a teaser until 3 1/2 months before the movie came out. So I doubt we'll see anything official until February

I think we'll get a teaser with Star Wars.

They'll want as much exposure as possible given how crowded June is.

IndigoErth
10-29-2015, 12:16 AM
At that rate, everything will want that much exposure so the trailers before Star Wars are collectively going to be an hour long. :tlol:

Foombamaroom
10-29-2015, 06:56 AM
I think we'll get a teaser with Star Wars.

They'll want as much exposure as possible given how crowded June is.

Not only that, but they'll want as much exposure because it's Bay's only big movie of June, I think. They were marketing Transformers a lot last year, so TMNT wasn't really a priority. Now that Transformers is out of the picture, I'm expecting us to get a trailer with Star Wars or the Superbowl.

letscook89
10-29-2015, 07:11 AM
Not only that, but they'll want as much exposure because it's Bay's only big movie of June, I think. They were marketing Transformers a lot last year, so TMNT wasn't really a priority. Now that Transformers is out of the picture, I'm expecting us to get a trailer with Star Wars or the Superbowl.

I think you're very optimistic to think of having a trailer with Star Wars, but I agree with you concerning the promotion of the 2014 film. At this time, the public's reception was awful concerning the trailer ("it's just a mask" meme) and the turtles designs. So I think the production thought the movie won't sell well, so the promotion was horrible. Plus as you said it, there was Transformers 4 to promote which took a lot of place. Now, Bay knows the 2014 one was quite successful despite the bad critics and it will be the only Paramount movie in this area, so I think they will do the best they can to promote it.

Powder
10-29-2015, 02:29 PM
There's no way they're gonna put this up alongside Star Wars. It'd just look worse by comparison.

BubblyShell22
10-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Gotta agree with that. My guess is they'll hold off on the trailer until possibly February during the Super Bowl or something like that.

Vicky82
10-29-2015, 04:14 PM

Michael Bay other movies for next year are 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Purge 3 and Ouija 2

Michael Bays other movie, Friday 13th reboot was supposed to come out next year but that got pushed back to 2017.

Paramounts other big movie that's coming out next year is Star Trek Beyond and that could do more than TMNT 2

Galactus
10-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Surely it's not an either/or situation.

The movie has it's own marketing budget and it's own team to organize it. Just because there's no other big Michael Bay production coming out around the same time doesn't mean the money that would have been spent on other movies go to TMNT.

The fact that TMNT did reasonably well with only it's eleventh hour marketing might be a factor in them thinking they should do it again. Not to mention that unless something happens to really alter perceptions of TMNT after the last movie the most likely scenario is that it will make around the same money give or take so I don't think Paramount has much of incentive to throw more money at this movie unless they have to.

Y'know all this has got me thinking what would have been a good idea with the previous movie. If there was an early teaser which showed shadowy turtles with the voice over "I'm Leonardo..." recreating the opening scene from TMNT #1 ending with the classic "he's wrong...we're not wearing costumes". You wouldn't need to see what the turtles looked like but it would be fitting considering the whole point of the movie was that it was top notch cg. Granted it might have been false advertising since it wasn't very Mirage-esque or TMNT-esque really and the cg while state of the art wasn't really implemented well but there ya go,

Candy Kappa
10-30-2015, 03:36 AM
Michael Bays other movie, Friday 13th reboot was supposed to come out next year but that got pushed back to 2017.

Whaaat, another Platinum Dunes reboot? Because Bay and co did it so well the first PD reboot Friday the 13th back in 2009... :lol:

Commenter 42
10-30-2015, 04:21 AM
So, I finally caught the latest ep from Nick. (4.1) and, it just shows how great a new take can be. I loved the whole damn thing, start to finish (Dregg is meh- don't love the actor or design, but with so much awesome, I'll gladly STFU :D )

I still want a serious TMNT, but FUN Turtles are a joy. I hated 2003 Fugitoid, this Fugitoid is, dare I say, perfect? No, not the original, but, somehow exactly what he should be? And that incredible direction, the storytelling, the writing the pacing, the, the...Jesus, I really enjoyed the hell outta that. I bitch, a lot, but when it's good....wow. So impressed.

Everything. Like a big warm hug of yes please, and a snuggle of I WILL have some more.

And then I'm reminded of this sh*t stain train wreck. It's like waking up into a nightmare.

I want them to release the trailer in front of Star Wars. I dare them.

Freeman
10-30-2015, 06:38 AM
If I remember right, they released an action figure for the toy line that didn't even show up on the movie, and the 3DS version of the movie game had Sacks has the one and only Shredder.

I won't be surprised if they keep all the bad ideas for very short before the premiere XD

IndigoErth
10-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Oh yeah, films always use their best stuff for the trailers and ruin those parts. Last time what had we not already seen before opening day? Some boring human-only stuff?

I hope they do not try to tackle (heh) an ad for the Super Bowl; if a trailer and not a teaser, they might pull out all stops and give so much away... Or if there aren't many stops to pull, then that is troubling.

Know what would be cute though? Grab the actors and shoot a little thing of the Turtles watching the Super Bowl game at home. Maybe it gets interrupted and they begrudgingly have to leave the lair thanks to some bad guy causing trouble. Just make it fun and a nod to the upcoming film. And what the heck, team up with Pizza Hut and/or a snack food company or two (that make sense for Super Bowl) to help make it.

I would love the heck out of that. :D Film people please do this. (Because it will be a miracle if the sequel has much more down time than the first.) Do something like that and it might make people want to spend more time with those guys, via seeing the film, just saying.

ranger_scout
11-01-2015, 12:50 PM
I can't imagine Alice in Wonderland 2 doing all that great (bad move bringing out the same week as X-Men), I expect it will be at no 2 in the US top 10 With X-Men at no 1 and then a week later TMNT 2 will be at no 1 and then I expect Warcraft will take the top spot a week later.

I don't think Disney will mind if 'Alice Through the Looking Glass' does not open at #1 after the successful opening weekend 'Inside Out' had when it debuted at #2. If this movie has some legs like 'Maleficent' did last year then 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II' could be in trouble. 'Maleficent' played very well with family audiences throughout the summer and that hurt the North American box office totals of 'How to Train Your Dragon 2'. We'll just have too wait and see. The opening weekends of 'Alice Through the Looking Glass' and 'X-Men: Apocalypse' might be front loaded like 'Minions'.

ranger_scout
11-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Inside the Magic actually believes that the box office performance of Alice: Through the Looking Glass could be hurt by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II.

Another potential issue that stands in the way for the film is the release date. It’s been six years since the first film, which is certainly not ideal when trying to build a franchise. Also, while the original film released in the doldrums of March, this iteration releases on May 27th, in the middle of a summer of blockbusters. In fact, it shares the same weekend as 20th Century Fox’s “X-Men: Apocalypse”. The two can likely co-exist as there shouldn’t be too much audience cross-over, but with “Angry Birds” releasing the weekend before and “Teenage Mutant Turtles 2” releasing not long after, box office returns might be slightly lower than the last film.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2015/11/alice-through-the-looking-glass-gets-new-teaser-trailer/

Etsyturtle2
11-02-2015, 06:30 PM
I don't think Disney will mind if Alice Through the Looking Glass does not open at #1 after the successful opening weekend Inside Out had when it debuted at #2. If this movie has some legs like Maleficent did last year then Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II could be in trouble. Maleficent played very well with family audiences throughout the summer and that hurt the North American box office totals of How to Train Your Dragon 2. We'll just have too wait and see. Alice Through the Looking Glass and X-Men: Apocalypse's opening weekends might be front loaded like Minions.
The bold is distracting me... Anyway, It doesn't matter what you peeps think of tmnt 2014, it still going to attract the money of kids and families and the fans who actually liked it.

Vicky82
11-03-2015, 11:16 AM
The Teaser Trailers for other movies are starting to come out now.

Alice through the looking glass (10 second teaser trailer) has come out.
Warcraft Teaser Trailer coming out on Friday.
Bryan Singer Tweeted that X-Men Teaser trailer coming out soon.
I expect Captain America teaser trailer could be close too

So I wonder if TMNT 2 teaser trailer could be coming out in the next few weeks. Keep and eye out on this site

http://www.albertafilmratings.ca/recentclasstrailers.aspx

AlZarkovski
11-03-2015, 01:21 PM
I doubt that we will soon get a teaser. Paramount begins promo company always very late. Maybe January or February...

TigerClaw
11-03-2015, 01:43 PM
I doubt that we will soon get a teaser. Paramount begins promo company always very late. Maybe January or February...
who knows, perhaps Paramount is saving it as a superbowl spot?

Paramount always had superbowl spots for the Transformers movies, so what if they did one for TMNT 2?

It would use some sort of money shot, you remember how the previews for the 1st movie always showed Raph hitting that vehicle? What if its something along those lines but bigger, maybe involving Bebop and Rocksteady?

AlZarkovski
11-03-2015, 01:57 PM
I agree!:)

Vicky82
11-03-2015, 02:08 PM

Paramount always had superbowl spots for the Transformers movies, so what if they did one for TMNT 2?

It would use some sort of money shot, you remember how the previews for the 1st movie always showed Raph hitting that vehicle? What if its something along those lines but bigger, maybe involving Bebop and Rocksteady?

Superbowl is in February right, so it be good for TMNT 2 to have trailer in the Superbowl spot but it's 3 months away and would it be nice to see a little teaser before.

TigerClaw
11-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Superbowl is in February right, so it be good for TMNT 2 to have trailer in the Superbowl spot but it's 3 months away and would it be nice to see a little teaser before.
Yeah, and Paramount doesn't have a Transformers movie in 2016, So they can promote the hell out of TMNT 2 since it would release in June.

Galactus
11-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Paramount also pays for those Superbowl slots.

Like I said it's not like TMNT's promotion budget gets unused Transformers money. Having a Superbowl ad would like mean a bigger amount of faith than Paramount has shown in this series thus far. But hey who knows things could change...it's unlikely but possible.

Leo656
11-04-2015, 12:19 AM
Super Bowl spots cost the GDP of some small countries. No chance. It'd get murdered, buried, and forgotten by the Batman v Superman trailer and all the "big" comic book movie trailers people actually care about, for one thing. After the Green Lantern fiasco a few years back, studios are seriously picky and choosy when it comes to which movies they waste all that money on for a 30-second SB spot that's just going to be on YouTube by midnight.

Plus, practicality. They have 187 full-CGI characters to work on in this movie; there is NOT money in the budget for a Super Bowl ad.

I mean they could do one, but it would be a complete waste of money and effort for a movie that's not going to be a world-breaker. So I highly doubt they will. They made "enough" money last time and didn't advertise anything until late spring, so I imagine that's what they'll do again.

Plus most TMNT fans don't care about the Super Bowl anyway and the suits know that. "They Could" is like, literally the only reason anyone could think they'd bother with an ad during the Super Bowl. They're going to play it safe and spend those advertising dollars elsewhere, I wager.

graphic_content
11-04-2015, 11:21 PM
Plus most TMNT fans don't care about the Super Bowl anyway and the suits know that. "They Could" is like, literally the only reason anyone could think they'd bother with an ad during the Super Bowl. They're going to play it safe and spend those advertising dollars elsewhere, I wager.

I think its safe to say most 'hardcore' TMNT fans dont care about the Super Bowl - but if we are honest, lately, as in the last several years, its been popular to like Turtles. To the point where people that can't even identify the brothers by their color/weapon are wearing shirts simply because its trendy. And as long as we are being honest, most of the people watching the Super Bowl dont even care about the game. They are watching because they were invited to party, to eat, drink, socialize, and maybe watch the game in the background. I think its a great place to market the new film...especially with all the new named faces.

We leads me to my next point...the named faces.

While I am excited about a trailer for this film, I have to be honest with myself, and know that these Turtles take forever to put on screen, so we may only see glimpses, at best. With all the named talent coming onboard, Tyler Perry, Stephen Amell, Brian Tee, etc. I think its safe to say that the majority of any teaser/trailer we get early on will be human-centric. As a fan, I'm bummed to admit it, but its the truth. Id wager any amount of money on that.

IndigoErth
11-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Yeah, don't really care about the Super Bowl, but - the commercials however... I either try to catch some of those on tv or, in the past couple of years, view them online. I'd honestly rather see something like what I suggested before rather than a teaser/trailer right then, as being Super Bowl it needs to be more creative than that just showing a trailer, though that resource (creativity) is limited in certain film makers, so I'd be shocked if they could pull it off. (You know, it sucks to have ideas that some Hollywood sorts would be too dumb to think of or pull off...)

I think its safe to say that the majority of any teaser/trailer we get early on will be human-centric.
Hate to say it, but probably quite right. :ohwell:

Though I wish they'd switch gears, focus on the Turtles, and then leave B&R, etc to the stuff they hold back on and give just very small peeks/suggestion of this time.

Vicky82
11-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Warcraft Trailer is out and it looks awesome and I hate to say it but it could beat TMNT 2, it maybe be the top grossing movie for June and maybe the year depending on movie reviews.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Warcraft Trailer is out and it looks awesome and I hate to say it but it could beat TMNT 2, it maybe be the top grossing movie for June and maybe the year depending on movie reviews.

It does look awesome, but you forget about five different movies that will be beating the pants off this or TMNT 2:

Captain America 3
Batman V Superman
Suicide Squad
Doctor Strange
X-Men Apocalypse

Vicky82
11-06-2015, 03:32 PM
It does look awesome, but you forget about five different movies that will be beating the pants off this or TMNT 2:

Captain America 3
Batman V Superman
Suicide Squad
Doctor Strange
X-Men Apocalypse

Yeah I know Civil War, Deadpool and Batman vs Superman will beat TMNT2 (it could be pretty tight with the other 3 and Gambit though) they will be for the yearly gross but I was talking about June's monthly gross and that Warcraft could pull a shocker and beat the other movies in June, Independence Day 2, Finding Dory ect.

This is my prediction from a few months ago for comic book movies next year

Batmanvs Superman $300M +
Captain America $300M +
Deadpool $250M - $300M
Suicide Squad $200M - $250M
X-Men $200M - $250M
TMNT 2 $200M - $250M
Gambit $150M - $200M
Dr Strange $150M - $200M

I reckon it's going to be a fight for no 1 comic book film between Batman vs Superman and Captain America.

I expect Deadpool will make a lot of money because I bet people will see this movie multiple times.

It's going to be a triple threat match between Suicide Squad, X-Men and TMNT2 and I bet it's going to be very close. X-Men will probably make the same amount of money like last year as none of there movies have gone over $250M.

TMNT 2 will have new characters which are fan favourites and I expect Arrow and WWE fans who arn't fans of TMNT will see this movie. So there could be possibility that TMNT could beat X-Men.

Gambit and Doctor Strange will probably be similar to Antman's yearly gross, I doubt Antman will go over $200M this year so I expect Gambit and Dr Strange will be the same.

If I go by the UK I bet it's going to look like this

Batman vs Superman $40M+
X-Men $40M +
Captain America $30M - $35M
Deadpool $25M - $30M
TMNT 2 $25M - $30M
Suicide Squad $20M - $25M
Gambit $20M - $25M
Dr Strange $20M - $25M

X-Men is popular her in the UK so I reckon it's going to be top Marvel movie
I bet Deadpool will be rated 18 so that could hurt it.
TMNT 2 is coming out on June 3rd (hopefully it won't change) here so hopefully it make more money than last year, I bet piracy hurt it due to coming out 2 months later.

Also if TMNT came out this year and not last year it would of beaten Ant Man in the yearly gross.

Leo656
11-07-2015, 02:57 AM
For some reason I think Deadpool might underwhelm. Not sure why. I mean the family audience isn't there, the whole 3-4 people going to see it 2-3 times thing almost all those other comic book movies are going to have, with the excited little kids, and the Moms, and all the "That was great, next week let's bring Grandma!" kind of thing that pushes those movies into huge numbers. I think it'll do okay but I don't think it'll be a world-breaker, more like a mildly successful curiosity. R-rated super-hero movies haven't set the world on fire so far; it's a very niche market. This looks to be one of the better ones and it clearly has a passionate audience, but so did Kick-Ass, Watchmen, and Punisher: War Zone, just as a few examples. Each of those movies gave its target audience exactly what they wanted to see but it wasn't enough to make them go see it over and over again in any of those cases. Each movie did "okay" but not anywhere near what they were "supposed" to do.

It'll do alright for a movie the studio once thought so little of that they canned the project for years, sure. :trazz: But if it does $300 million I'll be pretty pleasantly surprised. Maybe in the 200s. I'unno, obscure character, hard R rating, almost non-existent business from kids and women... it's got an uphill battle. Luckily it looks pretty slick. It looks like it'll hit all the right notes with its target audience, so it'll ultimately come down to how many of those people go see it more than once.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-07-2015, 04:59 AM
Obscure character??!! Leo, Deadpool is nearly as popular and well known as the Avengers these days. Already one movie appearance, hero tees in major stores, plus multiple video game appearances- he's big now. I've seen plenty of chatter on various social media that is excited for his first solo film, R rating or not.

Leo656
11-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Clearly we have different criteria as to what constitutes "obscure".

Mine is, go up to any random person and ask them what they think of Deadpool. Nobody knows. Nobody knows who that is. He's not as deep in the dark as the Guardians of the Galaxy were, but still pretty deep. Having a minor role in that Wolverine flick everyone wishes they could forget doesn't count for much, honestly. Neither does social media chatter.

Sometimes I feel like the only person around here who gauges things by Real-Life Awareness, not Internet Awareness. Not even remotely the same thing. Of course the message board dweebs are aware who Deadpool is, that's the character's entire audience; ask anyone who sees the sun more than once a week, or who doesn't have the number of their comic book store saved in their cell phone, and they don't know who he is. The man on the street couldn't tell you Deadpool from Deathstroke. Thus, he's an "obscure character".

Even the Avengers comparisons are pretty weak. Which Avengers? Cap, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor, or "those other guys"? Because they're in no way equal. Everyone on Earth knows the names of the Big Four now, sure; but to most movie-goers, Hawkeye isn't "Hawkeye", he's "That guy with the bow and arrow". Scarlet Johansson's character is only referred to as "Black Widow" by the minority who are actually comic book fans; everyone else watching the movie just calls her "Scarlett Johansson". So even saying a character has "an Avengers-level of awareness" can be a pretty broad statement that means a lot of different things.

Sorry man, I don't make the rules. Now listen, obviously that's going to change when the movie's out, like it did for Guardians, and to a much, much lesser extent... heh... Ant-Man. But c'mon, as of right now, Deadpool is in no way "big". He's "big" among the exact audience he's made to appeal to, and that's like, yeah, no sh*t. Maybe he'll be "Big" among everyone else by this time next year. Right now he's a nobody. Just sayin'. That doesn't mean that won't turn around, just a realistic evaluation of things as they relate to the character's general level of cultural awareness right now. And right now, he's obscure.

I mean I get it. Booster Gold is the greatest ever, and nobody at all besides me and Dan Jurgens cares. That's a sh*tty thing to have to live with. So believe me, I get it. At least your guy gets a movie. :trazz:

Etsyturtle2
11-07-2015, 02:19 PM
For some reason I think Deadpool might underwhelm. Not sure why. I mean the family audience isn't there, the whole 3-4 people going to see it 2-3 times thing almost all those other comic book movies are going to have, with the excited little kids, and the Moms, and all the "That was great, next week let's bring Grandma!" kind of thing that pushes those movies into huge numbers. I think it'll do okay but I don't think it'll be a world-breaker, more like a mildly successful curiosity. R-rated super-hero movies haven't set the world on fire so far; it's a very niche market. This looks to be one of the better ones and it clearly has a passionate audience, but so did Kick-Ass, Watchmen, and Punisher: War Zone, just as a few examples. Each of those movies gave its target audience exactly what they wanted to see but it wasn't enough to make them go see it over and over again in any of those cases. Each movie did "okay" but not anywhere near what they were "supposed" to do.

It'll do alright for a movie the studio once thought so little of that they canned the project for years, sure. :trazz: But if it does $300 million I'll be pretty pleasantly surprised. Maybe in the 200s. I'unno, obscure character, hard R rating, almost non-existent business from kids and women... it's got an uphill battle. Luckily it looks pretty slick. It looks like it'll hit all the right notes with its target audience, so it'll ultimately come down to how many of those people go see it more than once.
I read an article somewhere, that had this exact logic, plus some things about how movies released in February are expected to do poorly and bla bla bla.
Plus, my parents are big marvel fans. Mostly because of the movies I wanna see, my mom especially. Marvel movies are among her favorites and my dad grew up with the comics, but neither one could tell me who deadpool was. And, as you said, my parents probably won't bring me to see it because of the r rating.
I maybe could, because I saw the daredevil directors cut and several other r rated movies, but deadpool is such a heavily violence influenced character that I can tell my parents would find it obnoxious.
And a side note, I definitely think tmnt will do better. In my theater on August 8th, the theater was fuller than it had ever been and everyone was wearing tmnt costumes and shirts and bandanas, and they handed out the movie figures to little kids and collected cards to older people. There is such a large fanbase and family quality and widely known audience that so many people will see it. And deadpool is the kind of movie some marine would see with his girlfriend. In my town at least.

Leo656
11-07-2015, 02:26 PM
In my theater on August 8th, the theater was fuller than it had ever been and everyone was wearing tmnt costumes and shirts and bandanas, and they handed out the movie figures to little kids and collected cards to older people.

How many people threw their stuff back at the screen after they actually watched the movie? :trazz::trazz::trazz:

That actually happened at the opening night screening of Ang Lee's "Hulk" I went to. :lol: Never saw that before. It was like the "chicken wire" scene from "The Blue Brothers" except it was cheap green T-shirts flying around instead of beer bottles. :lol: For the record I enjoyed the movie and found the audience's show of disdain to be a bit excessive, but completely hilarious at the same time.

Etsyturtle2
11-07-2015, 02:31 PM
How many people threw their stuff back at the screen after they actually watched the movie? :trazz::trazz::trazz:

That actually happened at the opening night screening of Ang Lee's "Hulk" I went to. :lol: Never saw that before. It was like the "chicken wire" scene from "The Blue Brothers" except it was cheap green T-shirts flying around instead of beer bottles. :lol: For the record I enjoyed the movie and found the audience's show of disdain to be a bit excessive, but completely hilarious at the same time.
It wasn't perfect, but Ang Lees hulk was pretty good. I can't believe people hated it that much. As for tmnt, The scene where raph whispers cowabunga after shredder falls off the roof: deafening applause.

Leo656
11-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Yeah, it was a perfect little exclamation point on the way the Turtles triumphantly chucked Shredder off the-...

Oh, wait. April saved the day. The hell was Raph so proud of himself for, exactly? :trazz: Movie's full'a s*** like that. Dumb little "cheap pop" moments that don't actually make any sense in-context, other than "audience gives Pavlovian preconditioned response to thing/catchphrase they remember." Can't staaaaaaand it.

You know what I really hate, is when a movie does that ONE joke that's in the trailer that's been playing for two months, and everyone's heard a thousand times and is already sick of in real life, but suddenly everyone in the theater collectively laughs uproariously like it's the VERY first time they heard it. You know what I'm talking about. :lol: And you can't hear the next like three lines of dialogue over everyone's forced laughing. Drives me nuts.

Commenter 42
11-07-2015, 02:57 PM
It wasn't perfect, but Ang Lees hulk was pretty good. I can't believe people hated it that much. As for tmnt, The scene where raph whispers cowabunga after shredder falls off the roof: deafening applause.

The idea's Ang had were interesting; the execution was a tough watch.

Lose the cheesy adobe frame effects and the nasty CGI'd hulk dogs, and Jennifer Connelly - the father son stuff was interesting. Avengers Hulk is the definitive version for me.
Eric Bana would have made a better Bruce Wayne or Green Lantern.

Leo656
11-07-2015, 03:00 PM
He'd be a good Batman but a perfect Hal Jordan. I'm really mad he's most likely too old to even be considered. Real life kinda dropped the ball on that one.

Etsyturtle2
11-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Yeah, it was a perfect little exclamation point on the way the Turtles triumphantly chucked Shredder off the-...

Oh, wait. April saved the day.

I was talking about the buck buck scene where raph kicks shredder off...

Leo656
11-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Doooooooooonnnnn't even get me started. :roll:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-07-2015, 03:30 PM

Hell, don't get 85% of us started.

Etsyturtle2
11-07-2015, 05:19 PM

What? Buck buck? Aaaaaaaaahhh. I forgot tmnt 2014 movie trash:trolleye:.

Galactus
11-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Ah but it is.

I mean the whole scene is framed that this is the turtles finally working together except what we had seen of them at that point they worked together just fine.

Also the big epic battle for the fate of the city ends with a children's game. I think even the biggest defenders of the movie should appreciate that comes off incredibly weak. The second bout ending with April kicking Shredder and the falling tower getting wedged between two buildings is even worse. The weird thing is that all the action set pieces seem to end on an anti-climax and the action was supposed to be one of the movie's redeeming qualities that even if we hated everything else that would be well done.

Anyhoo it's interesting that when people hype up the previous movies success it's usually with qualifiers such as it beating some low ball predictions or how much it made in comparison to it's small budget. It'll be interesting how the next movie will be viewed with higher expectations and (I presume) a bigger budget.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Ah but it is.

I mean the whole scene is framed that this is the turtles finally working together except what we had seen of them at that point they worked together just fine.

Also the big epic battle for the fate of the city ends with a children's game. I think even the biggest defenders of the movie should appreciate that comes off incredibly weak. The second bout ending with April kicking Shredder and the falling tower getting wedged between two buildings is even worse. The weird thing is that all the action set pieces seem to end on an anti-climax and the action was supposed to be one of the movie's redeeming qualities that even if we hated everything else that would be well done.

Anyhoo it's interesting that when people hype up the previous movies success it's usually with qualifiers such as it beating some low ball predictions or how much it made in comparison to it's small budget. It'll be interesting how the next movie will be viewed with higher expectations and (I presume) a bigger budget.

Well said, Galactus. Apparently you're quite wellspoken when you're not chowing down cosmos. :twink:

Leo656
11-07-2015, 11:50 PM
That was awesome.

TrickOrTreater
11-08-2015, 02:49 AM

You mean leap frog?

Climax to the movie against their greatest foe...

Beaten by leap frog and a kick from a human woman with no martial arts training.

If Platinum Dunes the company was a single human entity, I'd set that person on fire and roast hot dogs over the charred husk.

Leo656
11-08-2015, 02:54 AM
Ahhh, there he is. :tgrin:

TrickOrTreater
11-08-2015, 02:57 AM
Ahhh, there he is. :tgrin:

I am seeing the same arguments. How. How is this possible. I feel like I time traveled back to a year and a half ago.

Leo656
11-08-2015, 03:00 AM
Just wait until February/March when all the people sent by Platinum Dunes magically start to show up again! :lol: THEN you're gonna see some sh*t. Twice as bad as last time. This whole place is gonna look like Gotham City in the last half hour of "Batman Begins". :lol:

TrickOrTreater
11-08-2015, 03:02 AM
Just wait until February/March when all the people sent by Platinum Dunes magically start to show up again! :lol: THEN you're gonna see some sh*t. Twice as bad as last time. This whole place is gonna look like Gotham City in the last half hour of "Batman Begins". :lol:

Oooo okay now I'm totally into it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tWtRNcvu6aM/VZXAVJTUPoI/AAAAAAAAGAU/NpEOdPjk0n4/s400/Gentlemen%252C%2Btime%2Bto%2Bspread%2Bthe%2Bword%2 Band%2Bthe%2Bword%2Bis%2Bpanic.gif

Leo656
11-08-2015, 03:07 AM
My favorite's the shot where the one dude's chewing on the other dude's face. :lol:

TrickOrTreater
11-08-2015, 03:10 AM
My favorite's the shot where the one dude's chewing on the other dude's face. :lol:

I wonder if that'll happen here...

http://forums.superherohype.com/images/smilies/awesome.gif

Leo656
11-08-2015, 03:20 AM
That face. :lol:

CyberCubed will ironically be the sole survivor, on account of nobody wanting to eat him because he's all stringy and bony. And riddled with acidic tumors on account of drinking 6 gallons of soda each day. When things finally go to hell and everyone here goes full-on cannibal caveman, it's the things that are killing him slowly that will enable him to survive. :lol: In the end, he was smarter than all of us!

TrickOrTreater
11-08-2015, 03:26 AM
That face. :lol:

CyberCubed will ironically be the sole survivor, on account of nobody wanting to eat him because he's all stringy and bony. And riddled with acidic tumors on account of drinking 6 gallons of soda each day. When things finally go to hell and everyone here goes full-on cannibal caveman, it's the things that are killing him slowly that will enable him to survive. :lol: In the end, he was smarter than all of us!

By god, it's genius.

The lone survivor. Wandering the wasteland.

But not in a Mad Max kinda way...more like "homeless guy chewing on a hand" kinda way.

"Noses...the noses...nostrils..."

Truly he is the greatest of us all.

Leo656
11-08-2015, 03:27 AM
I've been saying it for years: CyberCubed is the hero this forum deserves.

TrickOrTreater
11-08-2015, 03:30 AM
I've been saying it for years: CyberCubed is the hero this forum deserves.

*Amazing Grace plays by somebody humming it through their nose*

fofY99zsD_o?t=3s

Myko
11-08-2015, 07:54 AM
I agree with all of the above except I didn't actually mind that April lands the blow that sends Shredder off the building. Unless I'm completely misremembering one of the turtles swing her towards Shredder and she delivers a kick. So it's not as if she did it all alone. I think it's fine to have the most important woman in the franchise involved in the final battle and not being a useless damsel in distress. I think most of the hate comes from the fact that fans are disappointed Megan Fox got this role and not really with the concept of April helping out.

Buck buck can go buck itself though.

Etsyturtle2
11-08-2015, 08:10 AM
*Amazing Grace plays by somebody humming it through their nose*

fofY99zsD_o?t=3s

Uhh. That is annoying. So high pitched.

Technogeek29
11-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Do I need to dig up that post I did about the Turtles in movies never accomplishing anything?

pennydreadful
11-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Man, now I'm just really craving a hotdog. With mustard! :tpizza:

Leo656
11-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Do I need to dig up that post I did about the Turtles in movies never accomplishing anything?

Yes, please. I enjoyed it.

Technogeek29
11-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Yes, please. I enjoyed it.

Personal gripe with all movies is that the Turtles themselves never defeat Shredder. So far the only cartoon version is the OT and Don in SAINW.

Even more embarrassing when you think that in every Turtles movie the supporting cast always defeat the villain.

TMNT 1990- Splinter

TMNT SOTO- Kills himself

TMNT III- Killed by Wic (Casey's ancestor)

TMNT 2007- Casey and April crash the Cowabunga Carl van into the main villains.

Turtles forever- Bebop and Rocksteady plug the laser back in

TMNT 2014 April kicks a Katana into Shredder

Man the movie Turtles track record is a bit sad don'tcha think?

Here we go. Please let the second movie change this.

Leo656
11-08-2015, 06:17 PM
It definitely is so weird that they always have to "elevate" the supporting cast rather than let the Turtles handle their own damn business at the end. It's so f***ing horrible. It'd be like if Lois killed Zod at the end of MoS or something.

Like movies always, to a point, have the supporting character become "inspired" by the heroes and perform their own feats of heroism near the climax. It's that with TMNT it ALWAYS happens and the Turtles end up being left completely impotent when they're forever being bailed out, either by dumb luck or by the people they're supposed to be "protecting" or whatever.

I think it's in some way a manifestation of Hollywood's insistence that the audience can't fully relate to non-human characters, or characters in any way too "different" from them. It kind of worked in the original, since it brought the Splinter/Shredder story completely full-circle, but it still kind of sucked because the Turtles weren't doing so hot even before that point. And even then, after Splinter was the one to "defeat" Shredder, who got the "Final Blow"? Casey. If there had been no more movies in the series, the official ending would be, "... and then Casey Jones killed Shredder." Which is even worse than April doing it because Casey and Shredder had absolutely zero history together in the original film, not even sharing a scene.

Even when the movie's called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", the human side-characters always have to stop the Bad Guy. Kind of annoying and a little infuriating.

Bry
11-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Here, Galactus, have a trophy.

http://s18.postimg.org/dctzn6u61/1galactus.jpg

The entire movie was littered with "payoff moments" and plot/character beats that were supposed to be meaningful, but weren't set up or backed up by the actual story at all. Raphael's emotional breakdown came out of nowhere. Sacks killing April's father contradicted what we directly saw happen and had no bearing on the story whatsoever anyway. Splinter's attack on the Shredder suggested a personal backstory that the movie went out of its way to show did not exist.

The scriptwriting in that movie was flat-out incompetent -- it's like they just picked a bunch of major movie beats from other scripts, changed the names, and pasted them at random in their own, without bothering to give any of it any impact or even have them make sense.

Leo656
11-08-2015, 07:07 PM
You win.

All those little "payoff" moments would have had more impact in versions of TMNT that they actually made sense to be in. They only resonate because we've seen it in other incarnations, thus we give the Pavlovian response despite it not making any sense within the context of THIS film. Like you said, we get all a-tingle when Splinter and Shredder face off... why? They have no history here. We "care" and give the response because we've seen it enough in other TMNT stories to know, "It's Important", even though in this case, it isn't important at all.

Blargh. I need to go rinse and spit.

IndigoErth
11-08-2015, 07:57 PM
It definitely is so weird that they always have to "elevate" the supporting cast rather than let the Turtles handle their own damn business at the end. It's so f***ing horrible. It'd be like if Lois killed Zod at the end of MoS or something.

Like movies always, to a point, have the supporting character become "inspired" by the heroes and perform their own feats of heroism near the climax. It's that with TMNT it ALWAYS happens and the Turtles end up being left completely impotent when they're forever being bailed out, either by dumb luck or by the people they're supposed to be "protecting" or whatever.

I think it's in some way a manifestation of Hollywood's insistence that the audience can't fully relate to non-human characters, or characters in any way too "different" from them. It kind of worked in the original, since it brought the Splinter/Shredder story completely full-circle, but it still kind of sucked because the Turtles weren't doing so hot even before that point. And even then, after Splinter was the one to "defeat" Shredder, who got the "Final Blow"? Casey. If there had been no more movies in the series, the official ending would be, "... and then Casey Jones killed Shredder." Which is even worse than April doing it because Casey and Shredder had absolutely zero history together in the original film, not even sharing a scene.

Even when the movie's called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", the human side-characters always have to stop the Bad Guy. Kind of annoying and a little infuriating.
*nods* :ohwell:

It's a bit ironic that April can kick Shredder off of there while he managed to recover and grab onto the building after being kicked by Raph's size 16+ foot.

If there is ONE thing the PD movies could, at the very least, give to TMNT...let the Turtles have the victory. (And figure out the damn audience; just because you guys (the film makers) can't relate to them, don't make the mistake in assuming it's the same for everyone. The Turtles are certainly human enough on the inside to be relateable just fine.)

Vicky82
11-11-2015, 11:55 AM
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2" To Be "Massive" In Toys

Nickelodeon believes Nickelodeon Movies, Paramount Pictures and Platinum Dunes' "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2", the upcoming sequel is set to make waves in the toy space in 2016!

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Half Shell", a sequel to Nick and Paramount's 2014 fun-filled and action-packed blockbuster "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" movie, lands in UK cinemas in June 2016, and with characters Bebop and Rocksteady set to make an appearance, Nickelodeon is confident it will be a hit in cinemas and on shelves.

"The first movie was a huge success and the next installment will bring us Casey Jones along with fan favourites Bebop and Rocksteady," said Marianne James, Vice President, Consumer Products UK and Ireland and European Retail Sales and Marketing at Nickelodeon & Viacom Consumer Products (NVCP).

"It's going to be massive with a toy and action figure range to complement the release. We are very excited at developing the movie franchise with all new product and retail activations."

General Krang, a commanding warlord in Dimension X in the popular "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" comic book series, is also rumoured to be making a appearance in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II". According to reports, the character will be rendered using CGI.

J.J. Redick, along with a number of other players from the Los Angeles Clippers and the New York Knicks, will also appear in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Half Shell".

http://nickalive.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-to-be.html

TigerClaw
11-11-2015, 12:00 PM
http://nickalive.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-to-be.html
I'm sure it will be, We all are curious to what Bebop and Rocksteady will look like.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Oh yeah... I forgot about the ultra-creative subtitle. "Half Shell." :trolleye:

Powder
11-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah... I forgot about the ultra-creative subtitle. "Half Shell." :trolleye:

Uh-uh... Not elated to see we're still running with that. :tlol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Uh-uh... Not elated to see we're still running with that. :tlol:

I did legitimately forget. But hey, let's see what the trailer looks like...

Candy Kappa
11-11-2015, 12:30 PM
To be fair, their shells are halved...

Autbot_Benz
11-11-2015, 12:38 PM

" The first movie was a Huge Success".

lhckuhUxcgA

In the movie's defense it was bad at least it wasn't Jem and The Hologram's bad. Also do those people know the 2014 turtle figures shelfwarm as much as the mutation line does. Lets hope they put more effort into movie 2 toys. But knowing playmates it won't happen.

letscook89
11-11-2015, 01:36 PM
The 2014 movie line figures looked atrocious.The sculpts were ok but the paint applications were awful. I think it will be the same with the sequel line. If you want to have great looking figures of Bay's turtles, you'd better to look at the threezero ones. They are expensive but look very good. I want them, but I'm waiting the reveal of the turtles final designs for the sequel.

Foombamaroom
11-11-2015, 01:47 PM
"Huge success." Yeah, at pissing off the fans.

IndigoErth
11-11-2015, 08:19 PM
With the oversized mask, brands like Funko and the like already have an almost accurate Casey if they take the hair off. :trazz:

Will be curious to see if the Turtles figures change at all. With toy sales on the line, surely they would, though those big scuplted guys in that other thread have me questioning if their gear/clothing will remain the same. (I'd at least like to see Leo figures with his proper footwear. heh)

Xav
11-11-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm sure it will be, We all are curious to what Bebop and Rocksteady will look like.I'm guessing a rhino and a warthog.

Commenter 42
11-11-2015, 10:28 PM
I'm guessing a rhino and a warthog.

Bet it's actually a Rhino and a Pig.

letscook89
11-11-2015, 11:28 PM
With the oversized mask, brands like Funko and the like already have an almost accurate Casey if they take the hair off. :trazz:

Will be curious to see if the Turtles figures change at all. With toy sales on the line, surely they would, though those big scuplted guys in that other thread have me questioning if their gear/clothing will remain the same. (I'd at least like to see Leo figures with his proper footwear. heh)

If we look at these life size statues from the other thread, we can see that Mikey, Leo and Raph have the exact same designs. They have the same faces and body, and maybe the same clothes : Leo still has his armor (not completed though), Mikey still has his jogging and shoes, and Raph is certainly naked (which is normal, because his 2014 outfit doen't have to be sculpted, it's only clothes). However Donnie seems to be the only one to have a brand new design. He's bigger and bulkier, and doensn't have all of his ****** tech-nerd-stuff yet.

IndigoErth
11-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Bet it's actually a Rhino and a Pig.
Assuming they'll even be recognizable as such. Given the nature of these movies...

Vicky82
11-12-2015, 02:22 PM
A Chance to attend TMNT 2 red carpet premiere.

http://www.anime-expo.org/chance-to-attend-tmnt-2-red-carpet-premiere-plus-black-friday-2015-details/

TigerClaw
11-12-2015, 02:42 PM
A Chance to attend TMNT 2 red carpet premiere.

http://www.anime-expo.org/chance-to-attend-tmnt-2-red-carpet-premiere-plus-black-friday-2015-details/
So Anime Expo has a contest to win tickets to the red carpet premiere? That's interesting.

Commenter 42
11-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Assuming they'll even be recognizable as such. Given the nature of these movies...

Agreed. I'm haunted by the statement from Cinemacon that said they "Looked very different than we've seen before, but still recognizeable"

...and now that I look to pull up that specific report, I can't find it anywhere. Damned multiverse playing Berenst(e)ain games with me.

Still - even IDW turned Bebop into more of a pig - and maybe it doesn't matter - especially when the turtles are tortoises - still ...

Wild Boar
http://cbswzlx2.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/468402667.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

Warthog
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NWeOCgca3aQ/UCicqe0kzfI/AAAAAAAAAuo/NPaTFFQsjx0/s1600/warthog+pic.jpg

Pumba gets my vote :p

Candy Kappa
11-13-2015, 02:45 AM
Nah, the BayTurtles aren't tortoises, they are Box Turtles that look and act like Red-Eared Sliders, that lived on a Pizza based diet while being experimented on. And when they mutated they turned into 7ft tall humanoid Box Turtles that do not look anything like a Slider....

See, makes all kinds of sense.

Commenter 42
11-13-2015, 09:48 AM
Nah, the BayTurtles aren't tortoises, they are Box Turtles that look and act like Red-Eared Sliders, that lived on a Pizza based diet while being experimented on. And when they mutated they turned into 7ft tall humanoid Box Turtles that do not look anything like a Slider....

See, makes all kinds of sense.

Ha ha!

Wait, here you go...
I think you dropped this.
http://losingit65.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/mic.png?w=630

:lol:

Foombamaroom
11-13-2015, 11:47 AM
The Bay Turtles are a new species called 'Turtleoids.' Bay created them by placing steroids in the Turtles.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Wouldn't that be Turtleroids, though?

Mew
11-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Wouldn't that be Turtleroids, though?
No. Hulk Steroid Turtles with Ninja Weapons and Samurai Armor.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Nah, too much of a mouthful. Turtleroids is easier. Plus it just sounds better.

Foombamaroom
11-14-2015, 10:23 PM
'Turtleroids' sounds like a type of gummy they'd sell.

"HEY, KIDS, DO YOU WANNA LOOK LIKE SERIAL RAPIST TURTLES?! WELL, INTRODUCING TURTLELOIDS! FOR JUST THREE PAYMENTS OF $19.99, YOU CAN LOOK LIKE ALL OF YOUR FAVORITE TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TRANS- imean TURTLES!"

*Shows violent slideshow of disgusting looking human/turtle hybrids."

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-15-2015, 11:06 AM
'Turtleroids' sounds like a type of gummy they'd sell.

"HEY, KIDS, DO YOU WANNA LOOK LIKE SERIAL RAPIST TURTLES?! WELL, INTRODUCING TURTLELOIDS! FOR JUST THREE PAYMENTS OF $19.99, YOU CAN LOOK LIKE ALL OF YOUR FAVORITE TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TRANS- imean TURTLES!"

*Shows violent slideshow of disgusting looking human/turtle hybrids."

In other words, they're showing off the scaley fanfiction drawings from DeviantArt? :tlol: