PDA

View Full Version : Star Fox Zero

TigerClaw
11-12-2015, 04:10 PM
During today's Nintendo Direct, Nintendo announced that Star Fox Zero will finally be released on April 22nd 2016.

Here's the new trailer.

A2mmnOBJPTI

TheBlueTurtle1
11-13-2015, 07:22 AM
This was the killer for me, CAN NOT WAIT:D:D:D:D

CyberCubed
11-13-2015, 11:26 AM
The 6 month delay from November all the way till April 22 is going to work wonders for this game. So glad they didn't rush the game out this month and delayed it for 6 more months all the way till late April.

I get the feeling this will be the last Starfox game we get for a long time (if ever) so I hope they make it a good finale.

Netkeeper
11-16-2015, 02:26 AM
Right before my birthday, haha. I am very okay with this new release date.

I too can't wait. I love Starfox and I am just dying to play this one.

The Stryker
11-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Really hope it improves from the near garbage they showed at E3.

NoName999
11-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Quite frankly, I'm a bit worried about Nintendo's competency.

How on Earth could they postpone a PORT of an old game?

*rimshot*

Netkeeper
11-16-2015, 03:13 PM
....This isn't a port?

shuriken
11-17-2015, 10:34 PM
Looks pretty cool. Haven't played a starfox game since 64, would be neat to play another.

Peanut
11-19-2015, 10:58 AM
http://rsmg.pbsrc.com/albums/v102/tmntrule/foxmcdave_zps976e7f3f.png?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

oldmanwinters
11-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Looking so good!

http://rsmg.pbsrc.com/albums/v102/tmntrule/foxmcdave_zps976e7f3f.png?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

The intended joke escapes me, but I am intrigued, at least.

Peanut
11-19-2015, 12:01 PM
It's an in-joke in this section. You must have missed it cause its pretty recent lol. Don't worry, you're not missing much.

Netkeeper
11-19-2015, 02:57 PM
****ing Fox McDave :lol:

Pollyparrot
11-30-2015, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty disappointed this got pushed back to 2016. I hope the wait is worth it with some good improvements.

TigerClaw
03-30-2016, 09:51 AM
New Star Fox Zero game trailer, the game comes out on April 22nd.

u0BLjwtdpFA

Cure
03-30-2016, 04:11 PM
I dunno if I'm gonna be into it. I originally thought you could turn motion controls off but now it seems like you're gonna reeeeally need to depend on the gamepad, which sounds bad.

Netkeeper
03-30-2016, 07:13 PM
The word I believe you're looking for is "not what I'm used to". It's ok.

Cure
03-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Yeah, that also.

Powder
03-30-2016, 07:54 PM
I dunno if I'm gonna be into it. I originally thought you could turn motion controls off but now it seems like you're gonna reeeeally need to depend on the gamepad, which sounds bad.

I'm a bit hung up on this concern, too. & while I've never really given a damn either way with respect to graphics, for how long this taken, what year it is, it doesn't look nearly as good as it should, even for Nintendo.

CyberCubed
03-31-2016, 01:17 AM
And yet its still going to be the best Starfox game since Starfox 64.

Starfox Assault on Gamecube wasn't exactly pretty either. Let's face it, Starfox has always been a "B-tier" franchise from Nintendo. They never put as much work in it as they could.

Prowler
03-31-2016, 03:58 AM
And yet its still going to be the best Starfox game since Starfox 64.

Starfox Assault on Gamecube wasn't exactly pretty either. Let's face it, Starfox has always been a "B-tier" franchise from Nintendo. They never put as much work in it as they could.
Cannot speak on the GameCube games since I have not played them yet, but the first two Star Fox games clearly had effort put into them. SNES Star Fox might look terrible nowadays(I still like it, regardless), but it was quite impressive back in the day.

As for Star Fox 64, it had good visuals for its time as well, and was one of the most popular and well remembered N64 games. Arguably the most quotable game ever.

I do agree with you that Nintendo doesn't release much Star Fox stuff. It doesn't seem to milk it, not even merch wise.

A franchise that could use some more work into it is F-Zero. I know it's hard to top GX, but no harm in trying. I've never played a bad F-Zero game. Every instalment in the series is quite good. I think the only thing that holds down F-Zero a bit is the lack of interesting characters. Obviously characters aren't the most important thing in a racing game, but a video game series needs a few marketable characters in order to garner interest. As far as I know, F-Zero was never the highest selling game out there. I mean, F-Zero Climax was a Japan-only release for a reason, right? And this might be one of the main factors why Nintendo hasn't released an F-Zero game in a long time now.

The mascot of the series is Captain Falcon who has been in every Super Smash Bros. game out there, but people don't seem to care much about the rest of the cast. Characters like Samurai Goroh and Pico have untapped potential. F-Zero GX had character profiles for each character and we could see a bit of each character's personality at the post-Grand Prix interview, but that game is over a decade old now and not that many people have played it.

I mean, think about it, F-Zero games are pretty good and the series was a pioneer in the futuristic racing game genre/theme. I'm sure many racing games fans would find that appealing.

TonySiegel
03-31-2016, 11:09 AM
my brother reserved this joint... hoping it comes out good... worried about the controls now from the comments in this thread...

Netkeeper
03-31-2016, 05:31 PM
I actually liked Starfox Assault. A lot. And I thought it looked nice. I still consider it a solid multiplayer gamecube option [especially since it was just about the ONLY multiplayer game I had for a while].

Powder
03-31-2016, 06:30 PM
I'm still waiting on an Adventures sequel.

:tgrumble:

:tsad:

TigerClaw
04-08-2016, 05:20 PM
New Star Fox Zero trailer about Fox McCloud.

lAn5AgdPkCo

TheBlueTurtle1
04-09-2016, 03:14 AM
Getting so close, been waiting years for this game.

WTF no slippy Muppet?

sdp
04-09-2016, 11:05 AM
They made the puppets for E3 where Iwata, Reggie and Miyamoto transformed into them, since there was no 4th internet famous head of Nintendo there wasn't a Slippy puppet made. I just re-watched that intro and I can appreciate it a lot more after Iwata's passing. In hindsight these puppets were a great idea counting Iwata couldn't be there and the love they put into the presentation can be felt. Sadly all of this was lost since Sony had big announcements and Nintendo had didn't seem to have as much to show which if they hadn't had the previous direct and the Smash reveal not long before E3 and had waited it could've been a much more solid presentation. Not only that but they gave Star Fox the respect it needed by showcasing it as the main game of their presentation, they really wanted this new Star Fox to be the revival to the franchise and sadly it got all this bad press/word of mouth after the trailer. Let's hope this doesn't end up the last time they do something as big for SF.

TigerClaw
04-09-2016, 12:19 PM
They made the puppets for E3 where Iwata, Reggie and Miyamoto transformed into them, since there was no 4th internet famous head of Nintendo there wasn't a Slippy puppet made. I just re-watched that intro and I can appreciate it a lot more after Iwata's passing. In hindsight these puppets were a great idea counting Iwata couldn't be there and the love they put into the presentation can be felt. Sadly all of this was lost since Sony had big announcements and Nintendo had didn't seem to have as much to show which if they hadn't had the previous direct and the Smash reveal not long before E3 and had waited it could've been a much more solid presentation. Not only that but they gave Star Fox the respect it needed by showcasing it as the main game of their presentation, they really wanted this new Star Fox to be the revival to the franchise and sadly it got all this bad press/word of mouth after the trailer. Let's hope this doesn't end up the last time they do something as big for SF.
They used puppets in the marketing for the original Star Fox game.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fa/28/38/fa28382b4d549b6ec98fb188acfb6ff5.jpg

https://beatthatbacklog.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/star-fox-header.jpg

sdp
04-09-2016, 12:36 PM
I know that.

Powder
04-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Tigerclaw is like a stating the obvious Twitter-bot.

TheBlueTurtle1
04-09-2016, 02:48 PM

I knew that was why Slippy wasn't used at E3, but I assumed they would have made him for the TV ads:cry:

It's kinda no different from cutting one of the turtles from promoting a game or something.

TonySiegel
04-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Is everyone still pumped?! this game about to drop hopefully its very enjoyable...

would be sick for a star fox tv series... imagine with some life like puppets? it could be reminiscent of tmnt 1 haha one can dream...

word though... nintendo needs a cinematic universe... which culminates in a super smash brothers movie...

TigerClaw
04-15-2016, 04:15 PM
Here's some gameplay of the Coop Mode.

0b5Y-Nt1CjI

The Coop is basically one person using the main gamepad to control the sight, while the other player uses a 2nd controller to control the Arwing.

TonySiegel
04-15-2016, 11:01 PM
Here's some gameplay of the Coop Mode.

0b5Y-Nt1CjI

The Coop is basically one person using the main gamepad to control the sight, while the other player uses a 2nd controller to control the Arwing.

thats weak...

wouldve been better for player two to control falco, peppy, or slippy

TigerClaw
04-18-2016, 09:48 AM
Nintendo to premiere a Star Fox Zero animated short on April 20th.

7cNp80bDRwQ

TonySiegel
04-18-2016, 09:50 AM
Nintendo to premiere a Star Fox Zero animated short on April 20th.

7cNp80bDRwQ

Star fox needs its own movie, cartoon, or comic book

TigerClaw
04-18-2016, 09:55 AM
I know right, this franchise is perfect for a TV series or movie, so much potential for it.

Storm Eagle
04-18-2016, 05:24 PM

Well they did have a comic series that spanned through the Nintendo Power magazines from February to December in 1993.

As for the game, I placed a pre-order for it at Best Buy. I was also able to get their Falco amiibo for $4.99 out of the deal. It all better be good since I used a $10 reward coupon on them.

TonySiegel
04-19-2016, 07:12 AM
I know right, this franchise is perfect for a TV series or movie, so much potential for it.

for sure man you know what I'm talking about

Well they did have a comic series that spanned through the Nintendo Power magazines from February to December in 1993.

As for the game, I placed a pre-order for it at Best Buy. I was also able to get their Falco amiibo for $4.99 out of the deal. It all better be good since I used a $10 reward coupon on them.

i'm going to have to check that out if i get a chance... peace thank you

TigerClaw
04-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Here's the launch trailer

z3C0qEztrlg

Storm Eagle
04-19-2016, 04:01 PM
i'm going to have to check that out if i get a chance... peace thank you

Don't wait too long. You also get a free Mini Mario and Friends amiibo Challenge digital code, although I believe you can decline that later if you're not interested.

Andrew NDB
04-19-2016, 04:11 PM

That's true of, like, all Nintendo properties. Super Mario Bros. should be a cartoon... always. The Legend of Zelda? Are you kidding me, that writes itself as some kind of lighter fared versions of LotR.

But Nintendo tends to like to sit on their franchises.

TonySiegel
04-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Don't wait too long. You also get a free Mini Mario and Friends amiibo Challenge digital code, although I believe you can decline that later if you're not interested.

I have it reserved already homie... i meant ill have to check out the nintendo power comic

TonySiegel
04-19-2016, 04:29 PM
That's true of, like, all Nintendo properties. Super Mario Bros. should be a cartoon... always. The Legend of Zelda? Are you kidding me, that writes itself as some kind of lighter fared versions of LotR.

But Nintendo tends to like to sit on their franchises.

the OG mario film still holds a special place in my heart... i'd even rock with a comic set in that universe...

i haven't seen the film in years though... John Leguizamo is my boy... RIP Bob Hoskins...

Metroid Film, Zelda Film, Star Fox Film, Earthbound anime series/manga, etc.

I used to watch that donkey kong cartoon it was cool...

Storm Eagle
04-19-2016, 09:42 PM
I have it reserved already homie... i meant ill have to check out the nintendo power comic

How might you plan on doing it? The magazine is no longer in circulation anymore, and the issues it was in have been long out of print, even when it was in circulation.

Anyway, you quoted my whole post, and I figured you were referring to the last thing I mentioned. Then I went back and noticed that you were responding to what you put in boldface. It wasn't noticeable on the device that I was using at first.

TonySiegel
04-19-2016, 09:45 PM
How might you plan on doing it? The magazine is no longer in circulation anymore, and the issues it was in have been long out of print, even when it was in circulation.

Anyway, you quoted my whole post, and I figured you were referring to the last thing I mentioned. Then I went back and noticed that you were responding to what you put in boldface. It wasn't noticeable on the device that I was using at first.

its all good man... i have to guess that some hardcore nintendo/star fox fan has scanned them up on the net...

here we go!

http://www.sfx64.com/Comics/

Storm Eagle
04-19-2016, 09:51 PM
here we go!

http://www.sfx64.com/Comics/

Cool. Enjoy.

For the record, the device I was using was the Wii U controller.

TonySiegel
04-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Cool. Enjoy.

For the record, the device I was using was the Wii U controller.

http://lparchive.org/Star-Fox-Adventures/Update%2004/27-23-SlippyThumbsUp.jpg

for sure!

TigerClaw
04-20-2016, 11:21 AM
The reviews of the game are mixed, some are complaining about the controls, but its not gonna stop me from playing it.

Here's a good review of the game.

QbW99DyAAm4

Here's a review of Star Fox Guard

FQMAyQJ1a6s

TigerClaw
04-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Here's the Star Fox Animated Short.

wA2-0nTxaGg

CyberCubed
04-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Already pre-ordered, day 1.

Starfox games are amazing even when they get average reviews.

Storm Eagle
04-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Dramatic.

https://us.yahoo.com/?&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=wiiu

Cure
04-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Dramatic.

https://us.yahoo.com/?&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=wiiu

Oh, cool, a Three's Company movie is in the works.

Storm Eagle
04-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Oh, cool, a Three's Company movie is in the works.

My bad, smartypants. This is the article to which I was referring, and how Star Fox Zero is, according to the title, the final nail in the Wii U's coffin. I can't seem to find the article directly from yahoo.com, so I'm just going with one from Forbes that came up in a search.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/04/20/star-fox-zero-is-the-last-nail-in-the-wii-us-coffin/#633ccd9d626b

CyberCubed
04-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Which makes no sense because the Wii-U is ending this year regardless of one game.

Prowler
04-20-2016, 09:51 PM
Now Nintendo is making me ask for a Star Fox anime.

oldmanwinters
04-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Resignation the tell-tale of botched production?
http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/21/11477286/report-president-of-star-fox-zero-dev-platinumgames-steps-down

Regardless of critical reception, I plan on picking this one up eventually.

TheBlueTurtle1
04-24-2016, 03:39 AM
Been playing this all weekend, loving it! I actually think the control system is amazing.

Only fault in no multiplayer, apart from that, it's everything you want in a StarFox game.

CyberCubed
04-24-2016, 04:50 AM
Too bad not all the levels from Starfox 64 made the cut. No Solar or Aquas, so you never go to the sun or an underwater marine level in the game.

I feel like the game is missing a good 2-3 planets, there are less levels than Starfox 64 and the "bonus levels" are clearly rushed rehashes.

TheBlueTurtle1
04-24-2016, 08:04 AM
Too bad not all the levels from Starfox 64 made the cut. No Solar or Aquas, so you never go to the sun or an underwater marine level in the game.

I feel like the game is missing a good 2-3 planets, there are less levels than Starfox 64 and the "bonus levels" are clearly rushed rehashes.

That bonus level is a nice touch tho. I really wish they put an online multiplayer mode like assault. An on "foot mode" exclusive to multiplayer would have been awesome aswell.

I wonder if there will be DLC?

Come on nintendo where's the slippy and Peppy amiibo?

CyberCubed
04-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Man, I would love 2-3 more planets and a multiplayer mode. Even better if it was free. But I doubt it will happen.

Storm Eagle
04-25-2016, 06:01 PM
I haven't opened my copy of Star Fox Zero yet, but I decided I'd go to the Nintendo NYC store in Manhattan to sample a demo to see how I'd fare with the control scheme after the complaints I've read about it. If I found it to be too frustrating, I was going to return my copy to Best Buy where I got it. I did find the controls to be rather wonky, but I seem to have gotten the hang of them. I even got past the first stage. So I decided I'll just keep it. Still, I'd have no problem if Nintendo didn't do anymore games with that kind of control scheme.

Now I only tried the Arwing. Let's just see how I can handle it in walker mode, as well as the Landmaster and Gyrowing, which seems to be the bane of everyone's existence.

CyberCubed
04-25-2016, 06:43 PM
I got used to the controls in 10 minutes. No idea what people are complaining about. I can understand not wanting to look on the gamepad for some boss fights but that's it.

TheBlueTurtle1
04-26-2016, 12:45 AM
I love the controls, very fun.

CyberCubed
04-26-2016, 12:49 AM
I'm just so sad the game is missing planets. You can tell if they had more time we would have seen more areas like Solar, Aquas, Katina, Macbeth all which are missing from the game.

A lot of the bonus levels were clearly also rushed and tacked on, and while I don't mind them, they don't take the place of full planets. I doubt we'll get any DLC for a game like this either.

TonySiegel
04-26-2016, 07:57 PM
the game is cool its not n64 star fox (one of my GOAT games)...

i'm not feeling the walker or hover plane levels...

the controls are alright... but when you have to do the motion controls with the wii u pad they get wonky...

we shall see how this game stands up...

Storm Eagle
04-27-2016, 11:28 PM
I've officially opened up my copy of Star Fox Zero and I'm up to Titania. I still fumbled with the controls from time to time. I still get confused by the thing about locking on to an enemy in all-range mode, but you don't really see the enemy you've locked onto. Well, I guess you have to look at the game pad screen to see. Still, it seems like you still have to position yourself a bit so you can see your enemy. As for the Gyrowing, I'm under the impression that it's the most reviled vehicle, but I thought it was kind of cool.

CyberCubed
04-27-2016, 11:42 PM
You can change the motion controls on the gamepad screen. Also bring up cockpit view on the TV if you want.

I got used to the controls in 10 minutes.

PangolinFeets
04-28-2016, 05:41 AM
Still debating on getting this. The reviews are very mixed.

sdp
04-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Ok but if its missing planets from SF64, I'm assuming it has plenty of new planets right?

How was this game rushed? It was originally announced in E3 2014 even if they didn't show anything and at E3 2015 it was scheduled to be released in the holidays which they delayed to finish the game. The game had more than enough time.

And what exactly is the story about? A re-telling with events happening slightly different from SF64? I never understood when it took place timeline wise except that it was all over the place.

TigerClaw
04-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Ok but if its missing planets from SF64, I'm assuming it has plenty of new planets right?

How was this game rushed? It was originally announced in E3 2014 even if they didn't show anything and at E3 2015 it was scheduled to be released in the holidays which they delayed to finish the game. The game had more than enough time.

And what exactly is the story about? A re-telling with events happening slightly different from SF64? I never understood when it took place timeline wise except that it was all over the place.
I bet they will add more planets via DLC.

The Stryker
04-28-2016, 11:37 AM
I bet they will add more planets via DLC.

Not with the Wii U going out the door at the end of the year.

CyberCubed
04-28-2016, 02:14 PM

How was this game rushed? It was originally announced in E3 2014 even if they didn't show anything and at E3 2015 it was scheduled to be released in the holidays which they delayed to finish the game. The game had more than enough time..

The game has far less overall levels than Starfox 64, you can tell the game was rushed and probably should have been delayed to the holiday of this year to polish it up.

The following planets are missing from Starfox 64: Solar (the sun), Aquas (underwater world), Macbeth (train level), Katina (base with mothership), but there's a few less levels with bases to attack as well. Now not every world needed to return obviously, but you can tell the missing planets or new areas kind of made it short.

Its still a very fun game though, the action is great and I enjoyed getting all the medals. Its the best Starfox since Starfox 64, which might not be saying much, but its a fun arcade-y experience.

sdp
04-29-2016, 12:39 PM
Sounds like I would love the game, I enjoyed Assault and Command even if they weren't as "good" as 64. Sadly I don't see myself buying it since my Wii U backlog has plenty of amazing Nintendo games that haven't been played and won't be in the near future..

I regret going all digital on the Wii U since I plan on selling it as soon as the NX comes out and if there's no "BC" or a similar program then I would just have lost that money of unplayed games.

TigerClaw
05-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Here's some more trailers using the puppets.

rPilXVOvDIw

qsDMsvwHjLw

oldmanwinters
05-04-2016, 07:39 PM
I do love a good puppet show!

TigerClaw
05-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Another ad with the Puppets.

XkOWqjE6bBg

TheBlueTurtle1
05-06-2016, 02:09 AM
Why on earth they didn't make a Slippy puppet for the TV ads is beyond me:x