PDA

View Full Version : was Live Action the right way to go for a TMNT movie?

myconius
11-13-2015, 11:58 AM
when i first heard that the 2007 'TMNT was going to be all CGI i was really excited at the possibilities.

after the 2014 Ninja Turtles movie was said to be going back to live action with CGI Turtles i couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed.

i wonder if the movie makers had decided to make the film ALL CGI would it have possibly been better?

(of corse better writing really would have helped! but that's a whole other topic!)

just wondering anyone else's thought on ALL CGI vs Live Action CGI mix for the Ninja Turtles?

Foombamaroom
11-13-2015, 12:30 PM
It honestly depends. If we had no budget limitations, yes, live action would be perfect.

However, they chose to focus the 2014 movie on the humans instead of the Turtles. If they hadn't done that, the movie would've been so much better. But yeah, if you could keep the story around the Turtles, live-action is a great place to go.

Candy Kappa
11-13-2015, 12:37 PM
i wonder if the movie makers had decided to make the film ALL CGI would it have possibly been better?

Live-action or animated is just tools, and not a factor for "good" or "bad". It's all about proper portrayal and engaging characters, good story and well executed direction with unique visuals and cinematography.

myconius
11-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Foombamaroom brings up a good point, and one of the biggest problems i had with the film. had the movie all been Computer Generated i wonder if they wouldn't have spent all the time focusing on the human characters and gave us more screen time with the Turtles?

plastroncafe
11-13-2015, 12:47 PM
A good mix of both live action and animation is the best way to go.
Just look at the production values for "Where the Wild Things Are." That movie is fantastical and yet still grounded in a sense of realism. The SFX don't detract from the performances because they're subtle.

There's nothing subtle about the most recent live action flick.

myconius
11-13-2015, 12:53 PM
guess i'm still trying to wrap my brain around ways they could have kept from botching certain elements?

but that's all moot now i suppose?

Technogeek29
11-13-2015, 12:55 PM
Foombamaroom brings up a good point, and one of the biggest problems i had with the film. had the movie all been Computer Generated i wonder if they wouldn't have spent all the time focusing on the human characters and gave us more screen time with the Turtles?

No the director focuses on humans as a way to bring you part of the adventure. Basically make it seem like you are in the humans position and are suppose to represent how you would feel in this given moment.

While a story point of view from such a angle in itself isn't bad, it can be done poorly when you take away the secondary focus that makes you want to tell this side of the Story. Transformers are the most biggest offenders of this. But the beauty of TMNT 2014 is it could've worked with April being the focus of the story but it is done very poorly on both April and the Turtles side. Live action is a fine way to go the first movie did a pretty good job of balancing practical effects from the animatronics. Nowadays we have better technology that could out class CGI and Animatronics but Hollywood cuts too many corners for that to happen.

myconius
11-13-2015, 12:59 PM
No the director focuses on humans as a way to bring you part of the adventure. Basically make it seem like you are in the humans position and are suppose to represent how you would feel in this given moment.

While a story point of view from such a angle in itself isn't bad, it can be done poorly when you take away the secondary focus that makes you want to tell this side of the Story. Transformers are the most biggest offenders of this. But the beauty of TMNT 2014 is it could've worked with April being the focus of the story but it is done very poorly on both April and the Turtles side. Live action is a fine way to go the first movie did a pretty good job of balancing practical effects from the animatronics. Nowadays we have better technology that could out class CGI and Animatronics but Hollywood cuts too many corners for that to happen.

very true! there was a lot of missed opportunity for that 2014 film.

i guess i'm just entertaining the idea that had it all been CGI, maybe they would have let the Turtles shine a bit more on their own without constantly being upstaged by April O'Fox?

TurtleTitan97
11-13-2015, 01:02 PM
The turtles can work in live action, there's no doubt about that. It's the writing that needs work.

beeshaw
11-13-2015, 01:46 PM
The turtles can work in live action, there's no doubt about that. It's the writing that needs work.

This.

Just make a GOOD movie. I don't care either way between a full on animated movie, or a live action mo-cap/sfx extravaganzza. At it's core, the main issue so far has been the writing.

myconius
11-13-2015, 02:13 PM
i'm just curious if they hadn't had Megan Fox as April, would the character had gotten as much screen time?

Foombamaroom
11-13-2015, 03:48 PM

The difference between the Turtles and the other things is that this movie shouldn't have focused on April at all. Not even as a 'window' to the Turtles. The Turtles ARE the heart and soul of the franchise. We watch them fight, cry, laugh, etc. These are basically human characters. They're outcasts, teenagers, fighters... They legitimately are human in every form except for the physical form. There's absolutely no reason to have human focus unless it's secondary. The Turtles ALWAYS come first because the central theme of TMNT is brotherhood. They stand by each other no matter what. No matter how much **** gets thrown at them, whether it's a loss, a death, or having the whole planet destroyed, they stand together. Even if they don't have any allies like Casey or April, they stand together as a team.

^^^^^
THIS.
THIS.
THIS.
V_V We need better writers. AND DIRECTORS. AND PRODUCERS.

myconius
11-13-2015, 04:53 PM
The difference between the Turtles and the other things is that this movie shouldn't have focused on April at all. Not even as a 'window' to the Turtles. The Turtles ARE the heart and soul of the franchise. We watch them fight, cry, laugh, etc. These are basically human characters. They're outcasts, teenagers, fighters... They legitimately are human in every form except for the physical form. There's absolutely no reason to have human focus unless it's secondary. The Turtles ALWAYS come first because the central theme of TMNT is brotherhood. They stand by each other no matter what. No matter how much **** gets thrown at them, whether it's a loss, a death, or having the whole planet destroyed, they stand together. Even if they don't have any allies like Casey or April, they stand together as a team.

beautifully stated!!! :D

slingtheory
11-18-2015, 08:01 AM
The turtles in live action can work fine that's already been proven. The problem with the last movie was that any good ideas it had were overshadowed by all the odd choices made by the people involved. There was potential but the final product was a weird mess of a movie.

LeotheLateBloomer
11-18-2015, 11:30 AM
And people may harp on TMNT 2 for the lack of weaponry and its occasional silly tone but I feel that the story and (arguably) the writing were still pretty solid for a TMNT film, which is where I think both TMNT 3 and the 2014 film failed to do.

myconius
11-18-2015, 12:07 PM
the right people in charge can definitely make a quality live action movie of Ninja Turtles.

but given who's in place of making the new movies i'm just entertaining the idea that had they made an all CGI movie, if they might have made a better film?

i'm more than certain that even if they HAD made the movie all CG that it still wouldn't reach the quality of writing that the Nickelodeon CG cartoon has achieved.

though it makes me wonder if we'll ever get a feature length movie in theaters based on the Nickelodeon cartoon series?

turtlefanforever
11-18-2015, 03:44 PM
I'm in favor of whatever works well. If it is suits like in the first 3 movies so be it. If it is all CGI so be it, if it's a mix of both.. you catch my drift.

This is all solely if it looks good on screen/on camera. The 2014 movie could have worked had it not been for the terrible plot/writing, casting, and designs.

Andrew NDB
11-18-2015, 03:51 PM
2007 was all CGI and that sucked. The last TMNT movie was basically all CGI and that sucked even worse.

So no, I don't think CGI is inherently the right way to go for TMNT movies. A good script is probably the right way to go, something they've not had for four movies in a row.

IndigoErth
11-18-2015, 04:11 PM
For big screen... I kinda prefer live, I like the idea of it feeling real in the real NYC (feeling like you could really go hang out with them is nice), but how it's pulled off and by whom is a different matter. However many films this ends up being, I'd like to see PD/writers end on a high note by actually listening and focusing on trying to 'get it right' for TMNT, and not just 'right' for the bank. If they were to go that path, they'd stand to learn and be better film makers because of it; at least where these sorts of films are concerned. (Hey, I can wish.)

Besides, CGI is pricey and if we're still doing photo realistic Turtles... and city, people, etc., that's going to cost the yearly budget of a small country. lol (Plus, I'm not sure if entirely CGI would maintain an entirely real feel.)

myconius
11-18-2015, 05:15 PM
hopefully they just rectify certain elements that were botched in the first film's writing?
i can hope but i'm not going to hold my breath. :roll:

shuriken
11-18-2015, 05:29 PM
CGI isn't the issue. Pacing, plot and direction is where this movie falls flat.

myconius
11-18-2015, 06:00 PM
CGI isn't the issue. Pacing, plot and direction is where this movie falls flat.

VERY true!