PDA

View Full Version : What are you thankful for?

Icebot
11-19-2015, 08:13 AM
With Thanksgiving coming up, I thought this would be a good idea.

I'm thankful for a lot of things like the TMNT cartoons of course, also for the holidays, beautiful days outside, video games, delicious food and many more.

What about you?

IndigoErth
11-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Didn't really want to be the first response and start of with something kind of depressing, but with us in the U.S. only being one portion of the users I suppose there are many that may not be contributing...

That said, my dad suddenly passed away four days ago. I am not at all thankful for that.

I am however thankful for the kind of man he was, for all he gave to us, tried to do for us, for the good ways he influenced our lives, for ways in which I am like him, and for the fact that I lucked out and got him as my dad. He wasn't perfect, he could drive me crazy and cause hurt like anyone else, but all in all this was a man I was proud of.

I am thankful that the way he went was likely very easy and comfortable at home.

I am also thankful for the Turtles. As much as many interests may fall away when something like this happens because so much seems to stop mattering, they do not. They are in fact a good symbol of strength and perseverance. And when I missed the premier of this past Sunday's episode because I was in the hospital saying goodbye to the body of my father... they were there as a repeat on Nicktoons in the afternoon and a half hour of time in which to try to just slightly escape what had just happened.

Papenbrook
11-21-2015, 04:03 PM

I'm thankful for a lot of things like the TMNT cartoons of course, also for the holidays, beautiful days outside, video games, delicious food and many more.

What about you?

I rather NOT celebrate Thanksgiving, because it has unfortunate implications that went into the creation of its "celebration".

In fact, the fact that people are celebrating Thanksgiving at all is "odd".

GoldMutant
11-21-2015, 04:13 PM
PK, do you really need to be a debbie downer? :roll: My goodness, it's a holiday with next to no love due to Christmas, I'm at least grateful for someone doing this thread.

The only thing I'm truly thankful are my friends for supporting me through tough situations and making me happy. If it weren't for them, odds are I'd be gone from the Drome for whoever knows how long. If they were only there to meet up in person though..... :ohwell:

Mew
11-21-2015, 04:19 PM
I'm thankful for:
My family for supporting and loving me throughout the journey of life, and buying my TMNT collection!
Eiichiro Oda for making One Piece
Just life in general
Great foods in life.

Papenbrook
11-21-2015, 04:50 PM
PK, do you really need to be a debbie downer? :roll: My goodness, it's a holiday with next to no love due to Christmas, I'm at least grateful for someone doing this thread.

I'm not being a downer. I am just pointing out the "reality".

Leo656
11-21-2015, 05:40 PM
The "reality" also is, for over 200 years the only black guys in the White House were serving f*ckin' drinks, and now we got one runnin' the place. Wild, huh?

Point being: Times change, things progress and get better, and people don't need to constantly be reminded that things were indeed sh*ttier A Little While Ago. Stop picking scabs. Everyone agrees that what happened to the American Indians was awful. Neither you nor I had f*ck-all to do with it. MY people were most likely busy being horribly oppressed way over on the other side of the world when that sh*t was going on. So, yeah, F*ck England all the way 'round, I guess? Like, whatever, I'm over it. We're over it. Everyone is over it.

And if they ain't over it 400 years later, then f*ck 'em. They weren't even there, quit cryin' about sh*t that doesn't affect you, is my advice to those people. I personally refuse to feel even the slightest bit of guilt for a single thing that ever happened before I was even born, and I don't understand why anyone ever would.

That said, I personally kind of hate Thanksgiving, but that's for various personal reasons and the fact I don't like days off of work. The first time I ever heard anyone pull that "But the Indians!" spiel, I seriously thought they were kidding. Like holy sh*t, if we give them the whole country back will it finally be "okay" to celebrate and eat Turkey in November? :lol: C'mon.

GoldMutant
11-21-2015, 05:43 PM
I'm not being a downer. I am just pointing out the "reality".

Still, we should look over the past to understand our present and prepare the future. That's my saying.

Yes, it was tragic the people died on the Mayflower and yes it's tragic the Indians suffered. Those Pilgrims weren't prepared for the travel to set up their religion; trips on ships do often result in the destruction of food if not properly prepared. It was the 1600's though, how else were they gonna survive on travel? :roll:

This is beyond ridiculous to me. We celebrate the holiday as a gathering between our families and even friends cherishing the past times spent throughout the year. Same can be applied to Christmas; Thanksgiving though is the joy of togetherness. To me at least, this is one of the most distasteful things you've written on the forums. :ohwell: I'm curious why you need to have this audacity to post something on a thread with hope and cherish.

Edit: Preach be Leo.

Prowler
11-21-2015, 05:45 PM
It's never a bad time to eat a giant turkey. We do that in Christmas Eve here. But it's been years since I've had turkey on Dec 24.

So yeah, have fun with your turkey, everyone.

Leo656
11-21-2015, 05:55 PM
To be fair, I don't think Kraken was trying to start sh*t, as much as maybe over-thinking the reality of the "dark origins of Thanksgiving".

It is important that we learn the truth of what happened because history is important and the past shapes the future and people need to learn from their mistakes. It is NOT important, however, to still dwell on the mistakes of people from hundreds of years ago and feel personally bad or guilty over it.

I mean you could apply it to anything people celebrate, if you wanted to. "It's strange how people celebrate the Celtic festival of Samhain by dressing their kids up like vampires and super-heroes, I don't know why Halloween's even a thing, if you think about it." "How bizarre to decorate a tree and exchange gifts, just because of the Winter Solstice; it's just a day, my kids don't get squat." Yeah, there's a reason nobody thinks like that: It's dumb. Lots of things people celebrate had a completely different starting point that modern people would possibly frown upon or be confused by. Well... hooray for gradually turning Bad into Good, then? Or "Just Okay" into "Way Better, Thanks"?

I don't think PK was trying to stir the pot, though. THIS time. :trazz:

Papenbrook
11-21-2015, 06:23 PM
Still, we should look over the past to understand our present and prepare the future. That's my saying.

Yes, it was tragic the people died on the Mayflower and yes it's tragic the Indians suffered. Those Pilgrims weren't prepared for the travel to set up their religion; trips on ships do often result in the destruction of food if not properly prepared. It was the 1600's though, how else were they gonna survive on travel? :roll:

This is beyond ridiculous to me. We celebrate the holiday as a gathering between our families and even friends cherishing the past times spent throughout the year. Same can be applied to Christmas; Thanksgiving though is the joy of togetherness. To me at least, this is one of the most distasteful things you've written on the forums. :ohwell: I'm curious why you need to have this audacity to post something on a thread with hope and cherish.

Edit: Preach be Leo.

The problem is, most people aren't willing to look back into the past. They ignore and try to pretend it's "all over". We live in an age of denial, GoldMutant.

Most people deny problems that people face today,mostly because they don't/didn't experience it. I see it in comments, in school, at home - basically everywhere. THAT is what is distasteful for me.

I am THANKFUL that people are starting to be more progressive, BUT we need to get better. It's for everyone's sake.

Leo656
11-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Most people are force-fed it in school. Their obligations to dwell on the evils of the past are over past that point. You never have to think about it or feel bad about it again after that if you don't want to, and you can't be shocked that most people aren't going to. Why would they? It's over. They learned about it, decided it sucked, are glad it's better now... that's it. People gloss over it so easily and dismiss it as being "over' because it IS. That's why it's History and not the Present.

I'unno man. Sometimes I do kind of think the biggest problem in your life, specifically, is that you don't think other people feel as guilty as you think they should, about things that don't directly affect them, like that's bad that they'd rather not be miserable.

I might be entirely wrong about that, of course, so feel free to let me know, but like half the threads or comments you create try to Guilt-Shame people. So I'm not being mean or anything, just going by what I see. It's weird though. "I wish people felt worse all the time, about things they probably don't care about even a little." What an odd thing to wish for, y'know?

I'unno. I just thoroughly "unno".

Papenbrook
11-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Most people are force-fed it in school. Their obligations to dwell on the evils of the past are over past that point. You never have to think about it or feel bad about it again after that if you don't want to, and you can't be shocked that most people aren't going to. Why would they? It's over. They learned about it, decided it sucked, are glad it's better now... that's it. People gloss over it so easily and dismiss it as being "over' because it IS. That's why it's History and not the Present.

I'unno man. Sometimes I do kind of think the biggest problem in your life, specifically, is that you don't think other people feel as guilty as you think they should, about things that don't directly affect them, like that's bad that they'd rather not be miserable.

I might be entirely wrong about that, of course, so feel free to let me know, but like half the threads or comments you create try to Guilt-Shame people. So I'm not being mean or anything, just going by what I see. It's weird though. "I wish people felt worse all the time, about things they probably don't care about even a little." What an odd thing to wish for, y'know?

I'unno. I just thoroughly "unno".

Except its NOT. The past has had an effect on the present, Leo. People are still suffering today, in more ways than you think. You may not even know it.

I am not trying to make people feel guilty about themselves, or their origins. I am just trying to get people to acknowledge the past, and try not to repeat that cycle.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-21-2015, 06:47 PM
You know what I'm thankful for? That I wasn't born 3 or 400 years ago with the way I am, as I'd surely have been one of those unfortunates burned at the stake or hanged! How's THAT for "persecuted" or "oppressed"?! :trolleye: Seriously, regardless of what the actual historical events that took place were, it's the SPIRIT and MEANING of the holiday that truly matters. I'm not a Christian, and in fact, I find much of what people teach about it to be distasteful and downright narrow-minded, but I still respect the purpose of Thanksgiving as begun by them. Being thankful for the good things in our lives is something ANYONE can celebrate, no matter where they are from, what color their skin, or their creed, gender, orientation, or whatever.

Bringing up past mistakes of ancestors who were basically unprepared and naïve, is ridiculous. Like Leo said, there is zero reason to feel guilty over something that happened hundreds of years ago. It is like crying over spilt milk. It does no one any good, and makes no real difference to what happened in the past. Was it tragic? Yes. Can we DO anything about it NOW? No. The world is what it is BECAUSE of those people who bungled their way through a bad situation and learned some very painful lessons for it. No reason to keep dredging that crap up, or we might as well line up every group who's ever been wronged in history and apologize to their descendants. So, basically- EVERYONE. (Come to think of it, while we're apologizing to all the Native Americans, how about all the people of Salem and elsewhere? Or the Gypsies? I'll start taking apologies for all three now, as I've had ancestors in all of the above....)

GoldMutant
11-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Except its NOT. The past has had an effect on the present, Leo. People are still suffering today, in more ways than you think. You may not even know what it.

I am not trying to make people feel guilty about themselves, or their origins. I am just trying to get people to acknowledge the past, and try not to repeat that cycle.

You know, for the person that wanted to make the drome positive and wants to make the world greater, you wanted to bring forth tragedy to us for no inexplicable reason? This is somewhat the pot turning the kettle black; we are aware the world is suffering and want it better! PK, you could have just said what made you happy upon this holiday drawing near, but instead you decide to do what you did. :roll:

And considering some of the past things you posted on the Nick thread, this is so foolish. The world will only be better on how you choose. If you want the planet great, then do something other than wasting everyone's time; I have plans to make things better, but not by executing this ridiculousness. :roll:

Papenbrook
11-21-2015, 07:06 PM
You know, for the person that wanted to make the drome positive and wants to make the world greater, you wanted to bring forth tragedy to us for no inexplicable reason? This is somewhat the pot turning the kettle black; we are aware the world is suffering and want it better! PK, you could have just said what made you happy upon this holiday drawing near, but instead you decide to do what you did. :roll:

And considering some of the past things you posted on the Nick thread, this is so foolish. The world will only be better on how you choose. If you want the planet great, then do something other than wasting everyone's time; I have plans to make things better, but not by executing this ridiculousness. :roll:

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving. I am sure some drome members don't celebrate Thanksgiving either.

I used to celebrate Thanksgiving though. I used to even tolerate it. Not anymore. Not... ever again.

If I continued, I would never learn from my mistake.

GoldMutant, I want the world to get better too. In order to achieve that goal, however, we need to acknowledge the past, even if it is tragic. You just did it in your second post.

Trust me. I WANT to be thankful. I WANT society to get better. But we need to reflect on the past. Ignorance is not bliss.

GoldMutant
11-21-2015, 07:22 PM
I don't celebrate Thanksgiving. I am sure some drome members don't celebrate Thanksgiving either.

I used to celebrate Thanksgiving though. I used to even tolerate it. Not anymore. Not... ever again.

If I continued, I would never learn from my mistake.

GoldMutant, I want the world to get better too. In order to achieve that goal, however, we need to acknowledge the past, even if it is tragic. You just did it in your second post.

Trust me. I WANT to be thankful. I WANT society to get better. But we need to reflect on the past. Ignorance is not bliss.

"If I continued, I would never learn from my mistake."

Refer to what Leo and Duckie said because I'm sick of talking on an endless loop. There's still no justification why you can't be happy of where you are now instead of being the defender; if you had a problem, then you shouldn't have posted in the thread to begin with. You are using the past of our previous history with the British and Indians to make us feel shame for the world that is today; that's how I interpret. I find it absolutely ridiculous; you can easily make the same exact argument for every other holiday given their backstories.

The reason I brought up the event is because it's ancient history and because of why the tragedy occurred. You as much as anyone else can be shamed as much as me for why we suffer in the world. Yes, I'm dealt idiotic blows personally, but it doesn't make me wish to smite the wicked; instead I grow as a person to figure out how I can assist when I settle down on my death bed.

Any further problems, take it up with me on PM. I'm not going to destroy something made for happiness for the sole purpose of being the speaker. If we're going to possess happiness, then the debating will need to stop PK on the thread. :ohwell:

Leo656
11-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Except its NOT. The past has had an effect on the present, Leo. People are still suffering today, in more ways than you think. You may not even know it.

The thing is, that other than "feeling bad", can't sh*t be done. Example: People starving in Africa because they live under a brutal dictatorship whose leader keeps everything for himself; Can't Sh*t Be Done, people donate billions of dollars of food and aid and virtually NONE of it gets to those suffering people because it's intercepted by their own government, who keeps it. And because "It's A Cultural Thing", you can't just fix the problem in the only way that makes any sense ("Remove Dictator From Power, Put Better Guy In Charge, Distribute Food and Money to Those Who Don't Have It). We've tried. It doesn't work. Things get WORSE every time anyone tries to make things better. Sending food and money only puts more straight into the pockets of the people causing the suffering, to the point it's actually somewhat BETTER for the whole world to just look the other way and ignore the problem. Because the "solutions"? They don't work. Those people have to fix THEMSELVES, and it has to start with the people in charge, who - News Flash - don't care if the people beneath them suffer. That's the entire reason why it's 2015 and they make their people live like it's still a thousand years ago.

What about people dying of cancer? We should give to charity for that, right, because that will help? Except it won't. "Non-profits" like Komen bring in HUGE profits, misappropriating donated funds left and right while donating almost nothing to cancer victims or research. It's a gigantic fraudulent scam in a bright pink T-shirt, playing on people's guilt to earn huge profits. Billions and billions of dollars over decades and decades... still no cure, because WHY would anyone cure cancer when people pay billions a year on medications and treatments just trying to survive it? Insurance and pharmaceutical companies earning record profits, and yet, the last disease anyone "cured" was what, f*cking Polio or some sh*t? There's no "cure" for cancer, or HIV, or AIDS, and never will be, because the profit is in the treatment, not the cure. It's over. "Living with (and suffering with)" a terminal illness is, and forever shall be, the absolute best anyone can hope for in that situation. There is no "Getting Better." Because when you try to fix the problem, someone comes along and screws it up so it's worse you even tried.

Apply it any way you like, to any place or thing that causes large amounts of mass suffering. Starvation. AIDS and Ebola. Honor killings. Sex trafficking. Rape and murder. Tons and tons of awful, awful sh*t... implicitly condoned halfway around the world by governments who have absolutely zero interest in "fixing" ANY of it, because ALL of it is what makes THEM rich. "20 million of my countrymen starving, dying in the streets... well, there's only one of me, and I have all the money, so f*ck those people! I'm doing fine!" You wanna talk "Reality"? THAT is "Reality". And it isn't going to change just because you wanna wrack yourself with guilt over it, and think others should do the same.

Sure, it's awful that half the world suffers, lingers, and dies because they were born in the wrong hemisphere. Those people were f*cked before they were even born and they're simply Beyond Help in any real sense. And yes, it will absolutely keep you up at night with guilt and worry and fear if you let it. SO DON'T. You can't fix it, I can't fix it, it's never going to BE fixed, it's NOT a Fixable Situation!

I really hope I'm not the first person to tell you this, but it doesn't GET any better than this. I mean for crying out loud, some lunatics have been blowing up buildings all week, all over the world, murdering people, because they're mad about the same sh*t they've been mad about for thousands of years. If they don't have their sh*t together by now, they never will! Nobody is "learning" from the past, they're USING the past as an excuse to do the same exact awful sh*t they've been doing for millenia!

That's human nature. Nobody "Learns" anything, they just keep doing the same things, making the same mistakes, because human beings are, fundamentally, not very bright or very good at anything except keeping their own individual selves alive. People who are suffering, don't STOP suffering because You or I "feel bad about it" and wish it were different. The only way those people who suffer ever stop suffering, is if the people MAKING them suffer suddenly develop a conscience, which isn't likely to happen. You can't wish it away. You can't apply practical solutions to the problems. You or I can't DO anything about it at all!

So honestly... why keep yourself up at night? I'm serious here. Humanity on Earth has begun its downward spiral, and there is NO chance of pulling out of it now. You damn sure aren't going to save the world by feeling bad and guilt-tripping everyone else.

There IS one thing that you can do, that I can do, that anyone can do. Be Thankful. Be thankful we weren't born only to suffer and die in sh*t like so many other people have to. Acknowledge, "Man, I really got lucky in life." That's all anyone can do. Because Can't Sh*t Be Done.

It's not that I don't care. Really. Of course I wish things were different. But torturing yourself and others over things that WILL NEVER CHANGE because it is NOT POSSIBLE to change or fix them is stupid. Don't live like that. Be thankful. Be grateful. Enjoy life. Feel sorry for those less fortunate than you. That's good. Open up the palm of your hand, and wish as hard as you can that they wake up tomorrow in a world where everything is Better.

Then sh*t in the other hand and see which hand fills up first. Just sayin'.

BAM. Here it is. Deal with it.
F4efZIHtiQQ

As for the whole "Learning from Thanksgivings's Violent Past"... King of the Hill already did an episode on this like 10 years ago. Bobby got all worked up for a bit but Hank said it was fine. So you should let it just Be Fine. :lol:

Katie
11-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Listen,

I'm decended from William Bradford on my mom's side and my dad was Creek. I got the first Thanksgiving all over the place.

You wanna know how an honest to goodness Native American feels about the holiday? I say pass me some turkey and dressing. My dad cooked an awesome Thanksgiving meal. It was his favorite holiday.

Why do people who aren't part of the particular opressed minirity gotta always talk about how we who are feel about something?

Just for the record, I don't find the Washington Redskins offensive either. Its a football team. Whatever.

White people always gotta get upset about stuff like this to show they're tollerant.

Guess what? Nobody alive today had anything to do with the Trail or smallpox or any of that. I dont hate on behalf of my ancestors. I damn sure don't need someone feeling guilty for what they perceive as their ancestor's sins.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Yup. What Leo said....

On a lighter note, I'm thankful that after everything my husband and I have been through this year with diabetic-related kidney failure and such, he is still here with me, and is still hopeful and in good spirits in spite of how bad things have been at times. In and out of the hospital, dialysis treatments three times a week for the past nine months, and stomach issues, transportation company going under, and through it all, he's kept his head up and managed to get through it. I'm thankful for having him in my life, and thankful for family helping us to cope, friends who haven't turned their backs (because some have just stopped coming around) and all the people who have helped us deal with this either emotionally or financially. THAT'S something to both be thankful for, and to reflect on.

Papenbrook
11-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Listen,

I'm decended from William Bradford on my mom's side and my dad was Creek. I got the first Thanksgiving all over the place.

You wanna know how an honest to goodness Native American feels about the holiday? I say pass me some turkey and dressing. My dad cooked an awesome Thanksgiving meal. It was his favorite holiday.

Why do people who aren't part of the particular opressed minirity gotta always talk about how we who are feel about something?

Just for the record, I don't find the Washington Redskins offensive either. Its a football team. Whatever.

White people always gotta get upset about stuff like this to show they're tollerant.

Guess what? Nobody alive today had anything to do with the Trail or smallpox or any of that. I dont hate on behalf of my ancestors. I damn sure don't need someone feeling guilty for what they perceive as their ancestor's sins.

I'm not even white(Caucasian). I'm black.

IndigoErth
11-21-2015, 09:10 PM
It's just dinner, people... History shouldn't be forgotten, lest people be "doomed to repeat it," and all that stuff, but Thanksgiving is based on harvest feasts/festivals, which are very common across cultures, and who'd say no to a good feast? Unless someone is going to decide to do the exact opposite and refuse to eat at all that day, there's little reason dinner with people you want to enjoy it with can't just be dinner, by that or any other name.

Powder
11-21-2015, 09:12 PM
I will never understand why so many people seem to think a ninja turtles forum is a great place to start changing the world.

IndigoErth
11-21-2015, 09:17 PM
I will never understand why so many people seem to think a ninja turtles forum is a great place to start changing the world.
Well, would not the Turtles if they could? :tlol: At least in some ways? Maybe they inspire change. :trazz:

Etsyturtle2
11-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Matthew Broderick, pizza, money, family, tmnt, more pizza, peppers, and did I mention pizza?

MsMarvelDuckie
11-21-2015, 09:34 PM
Well, would not the Turtles if they could? :tlol: At least in some ways? Maybe they inspire change. :trazz:

I think they would. And they'd probably also tell folks to enjoy life's joys and blessings, rather than dwelling on the past. That's the sort of thing that leads to blood feuds and..... You get the idea!

Powder
11-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Which would be hypocritical given they were raised to perform a revenge-killing. :tlol:

Leo656
11-21-2015, 10:45 PM

Iiiii KNOW! :lol:

Like, to some degree we all wish the world was a better place and we all wish people weren't so sh*tty, both now and in the past, but it is what it is.

I have what I call a Stress Philosophy. If you're angsting over a problem you can't actually fix, right F'n now, then screw it, move on to something else. It's not worth your time, and it's not worth your stress. Worrying about the suffering of people half a world away who you personally can't help, is wasted energy. Worrying about the ancient past - not merely observing, but actually getting worked up and pissed off over it - that's supremely wasted energy.

Just relax and eat your f***'in turkey, damn. :lol:

And for another thing, people need to quit worrying about the damn Indians and what all 7 of them who are left think about Thanksgiving, and consider the goddamn turkey's feelings for a moment. You really want to take Thanksgiving away from the turkey? Selfish, selfish you. Chicken's inbred hillbilly cousin gets ONE DAY all year to shine in the spotlight, and you want to take it away for silly nonsense reasons. Shame on you, sister. ONE day each year, we pay tribute to the noble turkey by cutting its head off, sodomizing it with bread crumbs and then carving it up with a handheld chainsaw, NOT because we actually want to eat the bird - literally no one would EVER choose to eat turkey over chicken, beef, pork, veal, venison, or people, were it not for tradition of the holiday - but because we feel bad for the poor inbred bastard. We know we don't appreciate him as much as Chicken, and we feel bad.

That's why we eat a billion chickens each year and don't even notice or care, but on the one day we sacrifice a Turkey, it's a gigantic f***ing production. Because Turkey can't help it; the boy don't know that he's slow, it ain't his fault. The least we can do is give him One Special Day each year.

And don't even get me started on cranberry sauce and cauliflower. Poor bastards. Nobody ever eats that nasty sh*t, but they choke it down once a year and pretend they love it because everyone else is. That's so goddamn wacky. And you want people to stop celebrating Thanksgiving? Why are people ever going to get together once a year with people they hate to eat foods they don't like and get drunk and watch football and ignore their racist uncle's ranting if everybody stops celebrating Thanksgiving?!

...........Huh.:tgrumble:

CyberCubed
11-21-2015, 11:20 PM
What the hell is going on in this thread? This place is becoming more and more like tumblr every day.

Leo656
11-21-2015, 11:39 PM
It might be my fault. A while back I tried to summon Beetlejuice on someone who was pissing me off in the Platinum Dunes movie section and nothing's been quite right since.

I thought I was just screwin' around.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-22-2015, 05:56 AM
Which would be hypocritical given they were raised to perform a revenge-killing. :tlol:

I don't think it would be hypocritical- the whole point is that they could choose to break the revenge cycle and be better than the people who started it all. I don't call it hyopcritical at all, I call it taking the high road. I think they could appreciate that path.

Powder
11-22-2015, 06:03 AM
I'm pretty sure they, or at least Michelangelo, took the "high road" a few times too many...

http://i64.tinypic.com/2zy8mdy.png

Katie
11-22-2015, 06:50 AM
I'm not even white(Caucasian). I'm black.

My bad. You were seething white guilt.

At any rate, that first Thanksgiving was about THANKING the Powhaten tribe for helping them make it through the first year here. The pilgrims were Grateful for their neighbors.

That is all this meal represents. Being grateful for what you have. Being grateful for another year. And being together with family.

If you have some sort of guilt about how my people live (and news flash, we aren't all poor and struggling. I get $10,000 per year from my tribe from my casino share. Since I dont need it I reinvest to scholarships) then go volunteer in one of the reservations or better yet, go to a casino snd contribute to my retribution.

I live on the same land my ancestors did. We didn't leave in the Trail because we were assimilated landowners. See, the story isn't so black and white.

You protesting Thanksgiving us as goofy as if i decided to celebrate Kwanza to demonstrate guilt over the plight of black people.

Everyone enjoy your Turkey guilt free. I recomend it highly.

Etsyturtle2
11-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Everyone enjoy your Turkey guilt free. I recomend it highly.
I don't like turkey though.:ohwell:

IndigoErth
11-22-2015, 12:55 PM
NOT because we actually want to eat the bird - literally no one would EVER choose to eat turkey over chicken, beef, pork, veal, venison, or people, were it not for tradition of the holiday - but because we feel bad for the poor inbred bastard. We know we don't appreciate him as much as Chicken, and we feel bad.
Well I'm some kind of rogue outlier then, turkey and swiss is my kind of sandwich, really the only kind of sandwich, so I already eat my share of this bird throughout the year. As for other lazy humans letting it go to waste... :trazz:

Looking forward to some leftover sandwich makings. (Though I will sorely be missing certain leftovers since we're not doing dinner at home this year.)

BubblyShell22
11-22-2015, 03:09 PM
I don't get why someone would think Thanksgiving is bad. The whole idea is that the Pilgrims left for the New World to escape religious persecution. They were thankful because they found a place where they could practice their religion freely, that the ones who survived the winter were still there, and that the Indians were gracious enough to provide turkeys for their meal. Not much more to it than that.

I think we had a thread about being thankful once before, and so mine is pretty much what I've said before.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-22-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure they, or at least Michelangelo, took the "high road" a few times too many...

http://i64.tinypic.com/2zy8mdy.png

Um, pretty sure he was just tired there, not "high". :trolleye: But whatever. I was trying to point out the irony that they would probably turn away from that kind of violent cycle, if given the choice. That might have been what they were raised for, but it was a feud they really had no personal stake in, so why not choose to be the better "men"? Or something like that. That was really only in Mirage anyway.

Back to the topic, I have been to a couple of casinos myself, so I can say with certainty that anyone who gets a piece of THAT pie ISN'T hurting. Speaking of pie.... Thanksgiving isn't JUST about the bird (and Leo, I'm with Indigo on this one!) it's about the pie, the casseroles, the mashed potatoes.... Heck, now I'm getting hungry! :trazz:

shuriken
11-22-2015, 05:53 PM
Thankful for being alive and well and having some pretty awesome people in my life, as well as having the opportunity of being able to study Architecture.

Powder
11-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Um, pretty sure he was just tired there, not "high". :trolleye: But whatever.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/467/1355331549061.jpg

plastroncafe
11-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Some things I'm thankful for:

"Pangs" - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
"The Adams Family, in particular the Camp Pageant scene.
Starting Grad School in the Spring.
Lasagna.
The white wine I'll be using to wash down the Ativan that'll get me through listening to my family talk about politics and football.

ToTheNines
11-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Got some Fox News disciples in the family tree too, huh? You're not alone at least lol.

plastroncafe
11-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Got some Fox News disciples in the family tree too, huh? You're not alone at least lol.

I'm the Rainbow Sheep of the family, so it's not just "some"...it's "all".
It's funny though, because New England Conservatives are kind of endearing, in that they'd be considered down right Liberal anywhere else in the country.

And so...wine.

Leo656
11-22-2015, 07:25 PM
You're thinking of Addam's Family Values.

<---- "That Guy".

plastroncafe
11-22-2015, 07:27 PM

<---- "That Guy".

Crap, is it really?!
Well damn! Well then I guess I'm thankful for both, but MOSTLY thankful for the Addam's Family Values.

Wednesday is my Patronus.

IndigoErth
11-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Thankful that I'll have off on Thursday so I can spend it with some family after all (including my dad's two younger brothers he was close to), instead of sitting home alone and watching the clock because the store is opening at 6pm.

Normally we'd do our own little dinner here at home, but given the circumstances this year we've been invited to join them.

Some of my aunt's family will also be there... including her elderly mother who, from the sound of it, is apparently not wrapped too tight at all anymore and insists on being center of attention. According to my aunt (who has vented about her mother forever anyhow) the woman woke up after a nap one recent afternoon demanding that someone stole her calendars. o.O So, this should be an interesting distraction... I may or may not be thankful for that.

TigerClaw
11-22-2015, 07:55 PM
I'm thankful for living in a world, in which a new Star Wars movie comes out in December.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-22-2015, 09:03 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/467/1355331549061.jpg

No, that "joke" has just been done to DEATH. Didn't feel like it even warranted another go-round, honestly. Why does everyone always feel the need to go there, anyway? He never came off as a stoner to me- just a laid-back beach bum obsessed with pizza and comics- and more sensitive and intelligent than he was given credit for. I HATE when he gets stereotyped as a pot-head.

<---- "That Guy".

And I'm thankful for that.... Don't ever change, man!

Leo656
11-22-2015, 09:15 PM
While I appreciate your support, you're wrong about the other thing. OT Mikey hits every single Stoner Stereotype. Take it from someone who's spent his entire life surrounded by them constantly. And the writers have openly admitted they based his character on Spicoli.

It's okay if it's not your taste but he IS a Stoner Stereotype and it's entirely on purpose. Just because they clearly were never going to SHOW Mikey as a stoner in a kids' show, doesn't change the fact that they based every single bit of his character off of that specific stereotype. That "laid-back attitude" and being a toker are pretty much hand-in-hand. Mikey is like my old tag team partner... consider, the guy once broke his leg trying to play guitar while tricking on his skateboard. If that's not a "Mikey Moment", then I'unno what is. Spoiler: Dude was baked, which he is pretty much constantly. It happens. But oh, god, if you met the guy, "Mikey" is the first thing you'd think. Or Bill and Ted - who were also never SHOWN to be stoners but it's pretty obvious all the same.

I mean I know personally you have some kind of anti-pot thing but facts are facts and the guys who gave Mikey his OT personality have never been shy about where it came from. So people making the all-too-obvious jokes shouldn't bother you. If they didn't want people making the jokes they wouldn't have patterned him after Spicoli in the first place. They invited it, thus people are free to make those jokes as much as they want.

I mean not every stoner acts like Mikey, BUT, I"ve never met someone who acted like Mikey who WASN'T, either. I mean stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. :lol: I'unno, relax. :trazz:

Powder
11-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Bingo. Give the man a slice.

https://media.giphy.com/media/L2BZI48IWTaqA/giphy.gif

A good excuse to post this gif.

Leo656
11-22-2015, 09:22 PM
"Marshmallow and banana pizza with chocolate sprinkles, dudes! COWABUNGA!"

No, no this is a guy who's never ripped a bong in his life before making a pizza run at 3am. I am so totally sure Mikey doesn't have an entire crate of f*cking Phish CDs. :lol:

plastroncafe
11-22-2015, 09:57 PM
Personally? I don't think OT Mike is just based on any stoner, but rather this one in particular:
JTSk5cbaZso
Jeff Spicoli - "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" 1982

MsMarvelDuckie
11-22-2015, 10:03 PM
While I appreciate your support, you're wrong about the other thing. OT Mikey hits every single Stoner Stereotype. Take it from someone who's spent his entire life surrounded by them constantly. And the writers have openly admitted they based his character on Spicoli.

It's okay if it's not your taste but he IS a Stoner Stereotype and it's entirely on purpose. Just because they clearly were never going to SHOW Mikey as a stoner in a kids' show, doesn't change the fact that they based every single bit of his character off of that specific stereotype. That "laid-back attitude" and being a toker are pretty much hand-in-hand. Mikey is like my old tag team partner... consider, the guy once broke his leg trying to play guitar while tricking on his skateboard. If that's not a "Mikey Moment", then I'unno what is. Spoiler: Dude was baked, which he is pretty much constantly. It happens. But oh, god, if you met the guy, "Mikey" is the first thing you'd think. Or Bill and Ted - who were also never SHOWN to be stoners but it's pretty obvious all the same.

I mean I know personally you have some kind of anti-pot thing but facts are facts and the guys who gave Mikey his OT personality have never been shy about where it came from. So people making the all-too-obvious jokes shouldn't bother you. If they didn't want people making the jokes they wouldn't have patterned him after Spicoli in the first place. They invited it, thus people are free to make those jokes as much as they want.

I mean not every stoner acts like Mikey, BUT, I"ve never met someone who acted like Mikey who WASN'T, either. I mean stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. :lol: I'unno, relax. :trazz:

Except that he was never like that in Mirage or anywhere else. And the "all too obvious jokes" are really very tiresome. It's just plain BORING. Not EVERYONE who is like that is a stoner, I've known a few who were just like him, but weren't into "that scene" at all. Heck, aside from the weird pizza toppings, I'M just like that (Laid-back, love to chill and "party", and heavily into comics, etc....)!! So's my other half, actually. (I have joked before that I "married Mikey" in human form. Because he's so much like him in personality and demeanor that it's almost scary.) And he's no more a pot-head than I am- though he did occasionally in his early teens. Never smoked himself stupid, though. And certainly not since we've been together- which is since about 20 on. So.... Sorry, but that logic is questionable as "fact".

I just feel like the jokes have gone on ad nauseum, and whether it was "on purpose" or not, it's dumb. He's a perfectly good character in the OT without adding that highly questionable dimension to him. There were far better aspects of his character in the series that never even get noticed. But oh, how fans LOVE the stoner jokes! What did you expect from kids who grew up in the 80's?! :trolleye: With Fast Times as a frame of reference, it was inevitable- which is why it's such an annoying trope in the first place. Comparing two very different characters like it's a perfect match, based on the tone of voice and his odd taste in food?! I guess that's just human nature. :tgrumble:

As for "having an anti-pot thing", no, I don't. Other than being allergic to it personally, I don't care if other people do it, just as long as I'm not around it (or even the residue- even THAT gives me problems). Seriously, I don't give two craps if others want to smoke themselves stupid, but I can't even breathe the same air or stand next to someone who's been doing it recently without getting watery eyes, short of breath, headache, and nauseous. So I've a valid reason to want it FAR away from my own person!

"Marshmallow and banana pizza with chocolate sprinkles, dudes! COWABUNGA!"

No, no this is a guy who's never ripped a bong in his life before making a pizza run at 3am. I am so totally sure Mikey doesn't have an entire crate of f*cking Phish CDs. :lol:

Well, to each his own, I suppose. I'm just surprised that a Mirage fan like Powder would ever stoop to the level of buying into the trope to begin with. Mikey certainly wasn't stoner material in the comics, by all accounts. In fact, he was actually pretty well developed as a character in later seasons (season 3 and on) beyond just the ridiculous "stoner" tropes. But no one ever seems to mention that....

I guess it boils down to being tired of seeing the same old, tired jokes about my favorite character, which, personality similarities aside, is pure fanon. YMMV, but it gets annoying when people use that trope as if it was "fact" or even just as a joke comparison or whatever. Raph fans get up in arms all the time about stereotyping HIM, same with Donnie fans, but it's "okay" to do it to Mikey? Double-standards, man....

Leo656
11-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Nobody's talking about Mirage Mikey, they were specifically talking about FW Mikey, who happens to be the one most people are familiar with. And that Mikey WAS explicitly, blatantly, and entirely on purpose based on the Stoner Stereotype. The people who made the show were never shy about it. I could do the Googling and find all the times they've admitted that FW Mikey was completely based on Spicoli, but I don't feel like it.

Again, that much is a fact, and the rest isn't really relevant. You don't think the jokes are funny. That's fine. But people are still going to make them because they're accurate. Low-hanging fruit, maybe, but it is what it is and it's not wrong.

I mean, Leo's my favorite character, and I have to always hear about how "whiny" and "bossy" he was. Well, I'm in the same boat as you. *I* know that, in general, that's not who Leo is, BUT, that IS exactly who the FW show made him out to be, so I have to just accept it and move on. When people make those disparaging comments, I have to accept that, in the context of THAT version, they're 100% right. I can't let the fact that they screwed up ONE version of my favorite character, and the fact that people are forever going to make fun of it, annoy me that much.

So, yeah, relax. :trazz:

Well I'm some kind of rogue outlier then, turkey and swiss is my kind of sandwich, really the only kind of sandwich, so I already eat my share of this bird throughout the year. As for other lazy humans letting it go to waste... :trazz:

Yeah but have you TRIED people? :trazz:

plastroncafe
11-22-2015, 10:19 PM
I feel your pain.
Mirage Mike is one of my favorite fictional characters. It's OT Mike that's the joke.
Guess they just took that whole "pleasures of the flesh" aspect of him and ran...

Leo656
11-22-2015, 10:22 PM
OT everyone was a "joke", really. That show is like the worst version of every character, except maybe Splinter and April.

plastroncafe
11-22-2015, 10:25 PM
I'm actually giving that some considerable thought.
I am NOT a fan of dude!Mike. Never really have been, so it pains me to say, I think CreeperDudeBro!Mike is worse. I would take OT dude!Mike over PD CreeperDudeBrow!Mike any day of the week.

Ugh...now I feel all dirty.
Thanks, Leo. Thanks a heap.

Leo656
11-22-2015, 10:41 PM
You're right, I'm sorry. FW DID have the worst version of everyone until the new movies started coming out.

You DO realize, I do my best not to acknowledge the new movies exist. :lol: They're so tragically awful. I recant my earlier statement about FW having the worst version of everyone. Maybe that was true until a year ago.

Mona_Lisa
11-23-2015, 01:58 PM

What about you?

I am thankful for my family,
I grew up dirt poor, My Daddy was a pretty "Hateful" man, and My mom was always to busy with everything and everyone to notice me...
But I fell in love and got married, Me and my husband had a couple kids of our own, and I can honestly say that these years have been the best years of my life.
Also thankful for my Best friend since childhood, my home, The fact that I'm not dirt poor anymore, all my lovely farm critters, and Jesus.

Leo656
11-23-2015, 08:29 PM
I honestly don't even know, really. That I have a job and I'm busy, I guess. That's pretty much it. Mine's always a real short list.

shuriken
11-24-2015, 12:41 AM
Only having one class tomorrow. And going home to see my folks again.

Prowler
11-24-2015, 02:17 PM
OT everyone was a "joke", really. That show is like the worst version of every character, except maybe Splinter and April.
And Donatello.

IndigoErth
11-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Thankful for stories to tell over dinner, including something funny just this morning:

In my mom's car was her (driving), my sister (front passenger), brother-in-law and me (in back). We'd just barely gotten going when a light came on while sitting at a stop light indicating that a door wasn't fully shut. Brother-in-law had gotten something at a nearby gas station convenience store a few min before so he tried his assuming that was it since the light hadn't come on until after we'd left the gas station.

That wasn't it and he jumped out to check the back hatch (it was). He closes it harder and the traffic light turned green... my mother, a bit scatter brained lately after the death of my father, I guess mistook the sound of the hatch closing for his door and I guess thought he'd gotten back in and as he was reaching for the door to actually get in the light turned green and my mother pretty much floored it. Ripping the roof rack and door out of his hands and leaving him stumbling trying jump into a moving car.

She only surged forward for just a moment since my sister and I verbally reacted pretty quickly and he was able to get in (before even stopped), if slightly bruised but otherwise unhurt. (He didn't get knocked down or anything.) But we were just dying laughing. :lol: There was a car behind us and I want SO bad to know what they thought and the look on their face when the car tried to take off without my brother-in-law and the side door standing open; like we're trying to get rid of him. If my father was still around he'd have been rolling.

Tetsu Deinonychus
11-27-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm thankful that Thanksgiving fun (cooking and eating the food, watching the parade, etc.) seems to have snapped me out of the depressed mood I've been in all month. :)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-27-2015, 04:17 PM
I'm thankful for PK, Gold, Leo, Duckie, Plastron, Katie, et al making this an AMAZING thread to read. :tlol:

I'm also thankful that (most of) the family I love is local, and the family I loathe is not.

KROW
11-23-2023, 12:15 AM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread due to the holiday. See where it goes.

I'm thankful for my wife and children, the blessings we have, and for the hard work it took to be in the place we are in our lives. I'm thankful for my immediate family, as well. Having my parents around for another year to always lend a hand with anything, whether it be babysitting or simple advice. I'm especially thankful that my father is still with us after his health scare last Christmas. We weren't sure if he'd make it through but I'm damn glad he did. I put on a straight face and didn't show how worried I was, trying to stay strong for my daughters and preparing for questions I didn't want to answer. Deep inside, I was scared like hell, but he pulled through. It was literally a Christmas miracle since it was uncertain if he would be able to spend the holiday with us.

I will forever be thankful for my family. Many people don't have that privilege and I hope they find comfort and happiness in their lives, wherever and with whomever they find it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you folks.

Barkworm
11-23-2023, 02:32 AM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread due to the holiday. See where it goes.

I'm thankful for my wife and children, the blessings we have, and for the hard work it took to be in the place we are in our lives. I'm thankful for my immediate family, as well. Having my parents around for another year to always lend a hand with anything, whether it be babysitting or simple advice. I'm especially thankful that my father is still with us after his health scare last Christmas. We weren't sure if he'd make it through but I'm damn glad he did. I put on a straight face and didn't show how worried I was, trying to stay strong for my daughters and preparing for questions I didn't want to answer. Deep inside, I was scared like hell, but he pulled through. It was literally a Christmas miracle since it was uncertain if he would be able to spend the holiday with us.

I will forever be thankful for my family. Many people don't have that privilege and I hope they find comfort and happiness in their lives, wherever and with whomever they find it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you folks.

What a nice flash of positivity. I‘m glad for you. All the best to your dad!

I‘m thankful for mostly the same things. I‘m particularly grateful for having healthy children and being healthy myself. My father died when he was only 5 years older than I am now when he died so I never take our health for granted.

Roseangelo
11-23-2023, 02:09 PM
34 days until Disneyland with a friend. :tpizza:

Andrew NDB
11-23-2023, 02:24 PM
Thankful to be able to be getting THE SHREDDER off to the printers next week. Thankful for new daughter this year. Thankful for new house this year. Thankful for family and friends, of course.

Cowabung-Gal
11-23-2023, 03:06 PM
~ I am thankful for my home

I am thankful for my church

I am thankful for my school

And I’m thankful to be me ~

I still remember the lyrics in my second grade Thanksgiving play :lol:

But I’m seriously thankful for my home and family. :)