PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario World turns 25!

Etsyturtle2
11-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Until recently, I couldn't care less about this game. I downloaded it a couple months ago and watched some walk throughs and I know it's a great game now! So today is the day!:)

sdp
11-20-2015, 08:56 PM
The videogames we grew up with have anniversaries, it's not surprising, it's rather annoying to see all these threads and news articles celebrating anniversaries of games. It's not as interesting when we celebrate Super Mario Bros every 5 years, the first time they made a big deal about it was cool but yeah there's hundreds of games and you see all these anniversary articles/threads for every flippin' videogame. Imagine if they did this for movies or music.

Cure
11-20-2015, 09:09 PM
I couldn't care less about this game.

Jesus Christ.

TigerClaw
11-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Until recently, I couldn't care less about this game. I downloaded it a couple months ago and watched some walk throughs and I know it's a great game now! So today is the day!:)
It turns 25 tomorrow, It was released on Nov 21st 1990, I remember playing this game when it first came out, In fact, It was the game that came packed in with the SNES.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Simply the best game ever.

Etsyturtle2
11-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Jesus Christ.preach!

It turns 25 tomorrow, It was released on Nov 20th 1990, I remember playing this game when it first came out, In fact, It was the game that came packed in with the SNES. it is the twentieth...

Simply the best game ever. Agreed.

TigerClaw
11-20-2015, 09:40 PM
preach!

it is the twentieth...
I meant Nov 21st 1990.

Etsyturtle2
11-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Hmmm. Oops. Well, at least the title will be correct tomorrow!

chrisdude
11-21-2015, 09:14 AM
It was my favorite Mario until 3D Land. I want big into Mario, as a kid, but I appreciate it more, now. I'm terrible at them, but they're fun.

XERO
11-21-2015, 12:42 PM
SMW will stand the test of time. I'll be playing that game until my mind deteriorates.

Prowler
11-21-2015, 01:55 PM
I've beaten this game countless times. I'll love it forever. And as a kid, I use to draw its map and a map of a supposed future sequel/remake all the time :lol:. It's one of those games I'll never get tired of, no matter how much I play it and despite knowing pretty much every level by heart.

SMW will stand the test of time. I'll be playing that game until my mind deteriorates.
Same here.

Wesley
11-21-2015, 02:07 PM
I played the gba version in the early 00s and I loved it. It's still my favourite Mario game. I haven't played it in years, though.

Prowler
11-21-2015, 02:13 PM
I played the gba version in the early 00s and I loved it. It's still my favourite Mario game. I haven't played it in years, though.
I've played both the original and the GBA remake. The SNES cartridge had stopped working so we ended up buying SMA2 when ti came out. I believe it offered you the possibility of playing as Luigi, didn't it?

A year or two later, my family bought SMA4 because our SMB3 NES cartridge didn't work anymore either.

Wesley
11-21-2015, 02:22 PM
I've played both the original and the GBA remake. The SNES cartridge had stopped working so we ended up buying SMA2 when ti came out. I believe it offered you the possibility of playing as Luigi, didn't it?

A year or two later, my family bought SMA4 because our SMB3 NES cartridge didn't work anymore either.

Yep, you could play as Luigi as well in the GBA remake. I think I stuck with Mario, though.

Prowler
11-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Yep, you could play as Luigi as well in the GBA remake. I think I stuck with Mario, though.
I beat some levels as Luigi. But I didn't like using him much. His jumping and running were a bit odd. He had a bad grip but could also stay in the air for longer periods iirc

CyberCubed
11-21-2015, 03:58 PM
It was my favorite Mario until 3D Land. I want big into Mario, as a kid, but I appreciate it more, now. I'm terrible at them, but they're fun.

Mario games are incredibly easy. The only really hard Mario game was of course Mario 1, but that was only because back then you couldn't save and if you lost all your credits you would start back at the very beginning of the game. Mario 1 was brutal because they didn't even give you the option of continuing at the world you lost at, you had to start back at level 1-1. Of course the wrap pipes helped if you just wanted to rush back to where you were up to.

The all-stars version made Mario 1 and Lost Levels a lot easier to complete.

Prowler
11-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Mario games are incredibly easy. The only really hard Mario game was of course Mario 1, but that was only because back then you couldn't save and if you lost all your credits you would start back at the very beginning of the game. Mario 1 was brutal because they didn't even give you the option of continuing at the world you lost at, you had to start back at level 1-1. Of course the wrap pipes helped if you just wanted to rush back to where you were up to.

The all-stars version made Mario 1 and Lost Levels a lot easier to complete.
Japanese SMB2 was way harder.

Storm Eagle
11-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Mario games are incredibly easy. The only really hard Mario game was of course Mario 1, but that was only because back then you couldn't save and if you lost all your credits you would start back at the very beginning of the game. Mario 1 was brutal because they didn't even give you the option of continuing at the world you lost at, you had to start back at level 1-1.

There was a way to start at the world where you lost all of your lives. You just had to know what to do.

Etsyturtle2
11-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Japanese SMB2 was way harder.

Huh. I've beaten every Mario platformer game. I thought smb1 was harder than 2. I mean Japanese smb2, by the way. I had the first three on Nes. Had sma4 on game boy, downloaded smw and of course own all the modern ones.
So, yeah, I've beaten all the main ones. But I agree with cubed that the first one is harder.
Sorry for the long post...

oldmanwinters
11-21-2015, 04:14 PM
I actually dislike the fact that after you clear the game with 100% completion, the enemy graphics get covered in weird autumn themes that can't be turned off. It's fun to see it happen, but it's not the way I'd prefer to keep replaying levels.

Prowler
11-21-2015, 05:34 PM
I actually dislike the fact that after you clear the game with 100% completion, the enemy graphics get covered in weird autumn themes that can't be turned off. It's fun to see it happen, but it's not the way I'd prefer to keep replaying levels.
Ah I forgot about that. And it's not just the enemies, but the world map changes colours as well.

And you don't need to beat it with 100% completion(as in finding every exit). All you need to do is beat Special World.

Leo656
11-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Yeah, good call on the way the stuff changes after getting 100%. Doesn't really kill it for me, and it's a neat little surprise, but yeah, why did it not occur to them to make it something you can turn off if you want? :lol: I don't mess with the "Remix" version or whatever you'd call it much anymore. I just delete a save, start from scratch, and see how fast I can get 100%. After that I'm usually ready to do something else.

Some people decry Mario games as "too easy". Can't really argue but I prefer not to look at it that way. More like "Maximum fun and whimsy with an absolute bare-minimum of frustration and time-wasting bullsh*t." Like everything you do, every path you take, the game(s) rewards you like you were totally supposed to do that and makes you feel all clever and sh*t. In truth, the masterful game design directly led you to that secret or that solution... BUT, you could almost believe you really just figured it all out on your own. No hand-holding or over-explanation required. Good stuff.

GoldMutant
11-21-2015, 07:53 PM
I'll admit I'm more of a fan of other Mario games such as 3 and the Paper and RPG games, but I gotta give credit to where it's due.

For a game as a launch title to still hold up this well is a testament to the timeless nature the SNES gave. It pushed what the 16 bit era was about, introduced the iconic Yoshi, and several elements that carry on throughout the franchise whether in the games or spin offs like Smash. It really does appeal to the child in all of us with the nostalgic memories, it's ultimately what Mario and Nintendo do to make us feel content whenever we play.

While I consider this game around my top 15 and 10 of the series, it's still excellent. All I gotta say is, the Super Mario series has gone on strong since 1985 (or 35 years for Mario and 32 for Luigi) and it's a great time. May the plucky plumber keep shining on!

Duke Nukem
11-22-2015, 04:13 AM
I agree that SMW is an easy game. If you want it to be a challenge, try The Second Reality Project series for extremely well designed SMW levels, a story with some actual depth, and difficulty that scales well as you progress through the games.

Powder
11-22-2015, 04:30 AM
Hell yeah, that series is great.

Mayhem
11-22-2015, 05:53 AM
Beating Mario games usually isn't that hard, as said. Getting 100% on them, well that tends to be a fair bit more difficult.

I wouldn't say it was that easy to get 96 exits in SMW, 120 stars in SM64, 242 stars in SMG2 etc...

Etsyturtle2
11-22-2015, 08:01 AM
Depending on which country it was released in at this time:Japan or America, super Mario 3 is celebrating its 25th anniversary too. But, I'll look it up.

Edit: smb3 was in 1988 in Japan, and 1990 in America. Not a big deal.

Mayhem
11-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Yeah, the anniversary is for the launch of the Super Famicom in Japan, and thus Super Mario Bros 4 (yes, it's labelled that in Japan) aka Super Mario World being unleashed upon us :)

Prowler
11-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Yeah, the anniversary is for the launch of the Super Famicom in Japan, and thus Super Mario Bros 4 (yes, it's labelled that in Japan) aka Super Mario World being unleashed upon us :)
A lot of times, if not most of the times, games have different names in Japan than they do in Europe, Oceania and the Americas. It's one of those exceptions where I don't mind translations since Japanese titles obviously aren't easy or catchy for us to remember. Although, in this case, there'd be no issues with Super Mario World keeping its Super Mario Bros. 4 title.

ssjup81
11-22-2015, 05:14 PM
A lot of times, if not most of the times, games have different names in Japan than they do in Europe, Oceania and the Americas. It's one of those exceptions where I don't mind translations since Japanese titles obviously aren't easy or catchy for us to remember. Although, in this case, there'd be no issues with Super Mario World keeping its Super Mario Bros. 4 title.My Japanese copy has "Super Mario World" written on it.

Prowler
11-22-2015, 05:39 PM
My Japanese copy has "Super Mario World" written on it.
Oh, interesting. Maybe they ran out of SMB4 stickers at the factory, eh? :P

Etsyturtle2
11-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Oh, interesting. Maybe they ran out of SMB4 stickers at the factory, eh? :P

I thought it said super mario world with the super mario bros . 4 as a subtitle on top . http://legendsoflocalization.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/super-mario-bros-4.jpg

Mayhem
11-23-2015, 04:11 PM
It does, as the photo shows. Speaking to a few Japanese people, they have tended to call it SMB4 not SMW.

Likewise, Yoshi's Island on the SNES/SFC is called just that in Japan, it's not referred to as SMW2 at all, unlike the US.

ssjup81
11-29-2015, 04:38 PM
I thought it said super mario world with the super mario bros . 4 as a subtitle on top . http://legendsoflocalization.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/super-mario-bros-4.jpgYeah, you're right. I knew it was called Super Mario Bros 4 here, but didn't notice that subtitle there. I just looked at my copy. lol All of the Japanese reads "Super Famicom" and "Super Mario World", but the "Super Mario Bros. 4" subtitle is there as well.

Etsyturtle2
11-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Yeah, you're right. I knew it was called Super Mario Bros 4 here, but didn't notice that subtitle there. I just looked at my copy. lol All of the Japanese reads "Super Famicom" and "Super Mario World", but the "Super Mario Bros. 4" subtitle is there as well.

Accidents happen.:) cool! So, you a Nintendo fan?

ssjup81
11-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Accidents happen.:) cool! So, you a Nintendo fan?Yeah, for the most part. I have more Nintendo related things than say Sony or Sega.

Etsyturtle2
11-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Yeah, for the most part. I have more Nintendo related things than say Sony or Sega.

Cool. I'm a huge fan of 'em. Mainly Mario, of course. I mean, look at the thread were in.:lol:

JakeSully
01-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Yes last year it turned 25 when it came out in Japan but now it's been 25 years since SNES and this game debuted, i remembered being amazed by the commercials and thinking how cool the SNES is in demo places in Sears and all that including in Nintendo/game magazines.

I was 10 when SNES came here to the US and got mine for my 11th birthday with SMW, i was amazed by the game and thought it was just as awesome as SMB 3.