PDA

View Full Version : Did children like the movie?

neatoman
11-22-2015, 04:46 AM
A thread I'm oddly not seeing here, did children like the movie?

Amaranthus
11-22-2015, 06:46 AM
Children are dumb. So they probably did.

snake
11-22-2015, 07:19 AM
No one liked the movie.

Etsyturtle2
11-22-2015, 08:38 AM
No one liked the movie. why don't you find a rooftop to scream that from?

Excuse me, but, autobot Benz and other people claim to like the new film. Many people liked the movie. Especially the kids, it's made for them. but, all that aside, I liked the movie and I'm a kid.
I couldn't care less if people disagree with me.

Amaranthus
11-22-2015, 08:58 AM
why don't you find a rooftop to scream that from?

Excuse me, but, autobot Benz and other people claim to like the new film. Many people liked the movie. Especially the kids, it's made for them. but, all that aside, I liked the movie and I'm a kid.
I couldn't care less if people disagree with me.

You've pushed the "I couldn't care less" gimmick too far for people to still take you seriously.

Etsyturtle2
11-22-2015, 09:04 AM
You've pushed the "I couldn't care less" gimmick too far for people to still take you seriously.

What gimmick? I'm just stating my thoughts.

Vicky82
11-22-2015, 09:18 AM
There were a lot a kids in the same screen as me (It was a Saturday and this was the 3rd time I saw it). It sounded like they were enjoying the movie.

Autbot_Benz
11-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Kids were at the showing I went to so the seemed to like it

No one liked the movie.

I liked it I bought it on DVD also

shuriken
11-22-2015, 11:58 AM
My niece and nephew loved it. But they said Splinter looked scary. I would have to agree, dude looked nasty.

IndigoErth
11-22-2015, 12:57 PM
I'm sure kids have an easier time liking it, seeing as how - save for the rare few that have a deeper interest and are already more familiar or have properly TMNT-indoctrinating parents lol - most aren't nearly as familiar with the Turtles as adult fans are and aren't as emotionally invested in it, if at all, in the way that we are.

Nothing wrong with kids liking it, but personally I take it with a grain of salt. They don't yet have quite the same relationship and attachment that adult fans have. And while some hopefully will become long term fans, plenty aren't going to and it's a passing interest. To them, I figure it's just a fun thing to see, most don't know much difference and doesn't matter; to many of us, well, if film makers screw with it in a way that isn't appreciated then it's like they're messing with family. Kids/young fans/nostalgic adults who were never really too attached - it's simply a film. Adult long-term fans - it's old friends you better treat with respect.

I will take the youngsters' like for it seriously when some of them show up when they are older and already understand (or open to learning) why some older fans didn't like some aspects of it. Just the same as some of us eventually figuring out why the origin in the 1990 film differed from the cartoon and why Tokka and Rahzar were a disappointment, even though back then we didn't know the difference and were fine with it at the time. As for the kids who will never get it and it's a passing interest... I really don't care that much if they liked it, TMNT shouldn't have to be imprisoned forever in the notion that it's "just a kid's thing" and if little Billy was entertained for a couple of hours it's enough; they have easily shown over the years that they are not/don't have to be and yet that fact is continually ignored, and now used as an excuse for poor execution.

Ok, I'll stop rambling now.

Bry
11-22-2015, 01:09 PM
I mean, yeah, I'm sure kids liked it. Kids have much lower expectations than adults do. Developmentally they're just not there yet. If the plot doesn't make sense, or the writing is bad, or the characters lack depth, they're much less likely to notice or care.

That's not an excuse for a bad movie, though. The real question is whether or not the movie can be entertaining to kids and adults equally, even if in different ways -- or at the absolute least, be entertaining to kids without insulting the intelligence of adults.

"Kids' movies" should still be good movies. I've always found it really insulting to kids when people dismiss a bad movie as "just a kids' movie" like that makes the movie's failure justified somehow.

Mew
11-22-2015, 01:32 PM
I liked the movie. I even bought the figures.

neatoman
11-22-2015, 04:23 PM
So another question regarding kids' relation to this movie, do they accept that it's different from the Nickelodeon cartoon or do they ask questions like "Why is April a grown up?"

Autbot_Benz
11-22-2015, 04:26 PM
So another question regarding kids' relation to this movie, do they accept that it's different from the Nickelodeon cartoon or do they ask questions like "Why is April a grown up?"

Kids don't worry about that stuff they go to the movie to see their favorite Characters no matter what. Taking a quote from Wayne's World

http://i.imgur.com/geMiuhf.gif

IndigoErth
11-22-2015, 04:49 PM
I assume, for those who are not yet familiar with older TMNT material, it's probably similar to my/our not understanding why the origin in the 1990 film was different then the cartoons I/we was/were used to. Which, I guess is once again confusing as well.

For 1990 I didn't really know what to make of it and just went with it. Same maybe for this. The kids that stick around as fans will eventually understand.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
11-22-2015, 04:56 PM
I assume, for those who are not yet familiar with older TMNT material, it's probably similar to my/our not understanding why the origin in the 1990 film was different then the cartoons I/we was/were used to. Which, I guess is once again confusing as well.

For 1990 I didn't really know what to make of it and just went with it. Same maybe for this. The kids that stick around as fans will eventually understand.

And for children of today, learning about different TMNT universes is just one Google hit away.

IndigoErth
11-22-2015, 05:02 PM
And for children of today, learning about different TMNT universes is just one Google hit away.
While true, I've seen some pretty clueless questions asked elsewhere online, it's like Google is just too much effort now. How did we ever figure this stuff out in my day. :lol:

Powder
11-22-2015, 07:46 PM

We had the same situation as kids, & while we asked those sorts of questions, it became clear they were their own universes. Between the comics, cartoon, & film series, there were a bunch of differences, origins, designs, etc. Same as now.

Xav
11-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Many people liked the movie. Especially the kids, it's made for them. but, all that aside, I liked the movie and I'm a kid.It's OK if you like the movie but it wasn't really made for kids. Even the director said it was aimed at people of all ages. It was only after the bad reviews that the people behind the film claimed it was aimed at kids all along. If it was really meant to be a kids film why didn't they just base it on the current cartoon? Claiming it's a kids film doesn't excuse the films plot holes. There are a lot of kids films that are better than this.

Leo656
11-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Pretty sure you stole that gif gimmick from me when I posted it in a thread discussing this exact same topic a year ago Benzie. Pay up.

Also, kids should never be the baseline for quality. They only care about flash, bright colors, awful jokes, and crap like that. This piece of sh*t delivered in spades, second one will as well... who cares? They're still sh*tty and kids don't know the difference because they're kids.

If I ever wanted to know if something was any good, I damn sure wouldn't ask some kid who just picked his nose and ate it what he thought. Why would anyone?

It's OK if you like the movie

Nah. :lol:

Autbot_Benz
11-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Pretty sure you stole that gif gimmick from me when I posted it in a thread discussing this exact same topic a year ago Benzie. Pay up.

ok I'll pay up http://i67.tinypic.com/2py1ehj.gif

Leo656
11-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Gimmick Infringement is serious - and expensive - business.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
11-23-2015, 02:13 AM
best way to answer this is ask yourself what movies you adored as kids then watched again as adults to learn it was crap

you cant really use kids to measure a success of a movie because they are the the ones who paid to see it mom and dad did..and chances are 6 year old jimmy isnt gonna be alone in the theater...mom dad and bros and sis are there too

why do you think animated films or films aimed at the family demographic hardly win awards

and if we are gonna use the there where alot of this in the theater rule

when i saw the dark knight films ,watchmen, wanted, and v for vendetta..there was a good number of kids in those seats ...ranging between 4-10...and the enjoyed the pretty colors and costumed folks on the big screen

Leo656
11-23-2015, 02:36 AM
Holy sh*t, what kind of idiot would bring their kid to see "Watchmen"? That movie was too Adult for adults, let alone kids.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
11-23-2015, 02:45 AM
you should hear the movies ive seen kids in...came to the point all my local theaters set a rule of no kids past 830 on weekdays

Jephael
11-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Holy sh*t, what kind of idiot would bring their kid to see "Watchmen"? That movie was too Adult for adults, let alone kids.

I remember going to see Kick-Ass 2 and someone took their kid to see it. I remember thinking "Are you friggin nuts?! This is the furthest thing from a kids' movie! Hell, a woman was killed via electrocution in the first 10 minutes."

Etsyturtle2
11-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Nah. :lol:

-_- *sigh*.

Candy Kappa
11-23-2015, 03:10 PM

Some parents had their kids with them in the theater when we where seeing Passion of Christ. A couple of them gave up after the nine-tail lashing.

The movie had extra immersion with all the surround crying...

Walkabout
11-24-2015, 04:56 AM
No, the children did not like this movie.

Commenter 42
11-24-2015, 05:15 AM
No, the children did not like this movie.

well said.

pennydreadful
11-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Won't somebody think of the children?! :lol:

Etsyturtle2
11-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Some parents had their kids with them in the theater when we where seeing Passion of Christ. A couple of them gave up after the nine-tail lashing.

I had to look away. Blooody.

massakre
11-25-2015, 12:07 PM
my 9 yr old girl and 10 yr old boy both enjoyed the movie.. but not as much my 3 yr old boy. he fell in love with the "shell shocked" song/video first and then when the movie came out, that was icing on the cake to him lol..

12-18-2015, 05:08 PM

But children under 15 shouldn't allowed to see such movies in cinema. Why would they do that, teach them "Why we celebrate Easter?" :)

turtlefanforever
12-18-2015, 05:31 PM
some probably did. the majority that liked it were kids i'm sure. the thing is this movie really had no key demographic. it tried to please everyone and wound up pleasing no one.

Platinum Dunes Teenage Mutant Ninia Turtles: a movie for no one.

Longview01
12-22-2015, 07:48 PM
My 3 year old got bored, we tried watching it together and there was too much time on screen without Turtles I think.

We watched the original and she was glued to it but that has so much on screen Turtle time it kept her entertained....adding into the fact that she also likes puppets and seems to get easily bored of cgi heavy films in favour of something like Labyrinth, Dark Crystal or even Muppet films.

She's just like me

Walkabout
12-23-2015, 02:32 AM
My 3 year old got bored, we tried watching it together and there was too much time on screen without Turtles I think.

We watched the original and she was glued to it but that has so much on screen Turtle time it kept her entertained....adding into the fact that she also likes puppets and seems to get easily bored of cgi heavy films in favour of something like Labyrinth, Dark Crystal or even Muppet films.

She's just like me

Warms my heart to read this- what wonderful gifts Jim Henson and his people gave us :)

TrickOrTreater
12-23-2015, 04:05 AM

She's just like me

Take her to see Krampus on Christmas Eve, loooots of puppets/practical effects ala Dark Crystal/Labyrinth.

She'll love it.

12-23-2015, 05:10 AM
you should hear the movies ive seen kids in...came to the point all my local theaters set a rule of no kids past 830 on weekdays

Can they really do that. Such should be based on which film is shown, not time of the day.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
12-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Can they really do that. Such should be based on which film is shown, not time of the day.

if its privately owned they can do what they want

the theaters in my town are both privately owned by "local" folks

hence why in another thread i mentioned how the trailers they show unless specifically attached are chosen by the workers

Longview01
12-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Take her to see Krampus on Christmas Eve, loooots of puppets/practical effects ala Dark Crystal/Labyrinth.

She'll love it.

We watched Short Circuit today and she really enjoyed seeing him blow up at the end....so she might enjoy Krampus :P

MikeandRaph87
01-10-2016, 06:25 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post it, but I was surprised at the combuned DVD sales. As of early December sales Ninja Turtles(2014) are up to 93.12 million. It cannot be just TMNT fans buying it simply to own a copy of every related movie.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-(2014)#tab=video-sales

ranger_scout
01-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Some of the kids at the school where I work enjoyed the movie. One of them especially liked Mikey's beat-boxing in the elevator scene.

01-19-2016, 08:53 AM
I don't know if this is the right place to post it, but I was surprised at the combuned DVD sales. As of early December sales Ninja Turtles(2014) are up to 93.12 million. It cannot be just TMNT fans buying it simply to own a copy of every related movie.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-(2014)#tab=video-sales

It was even number one video! I think people now are brainwashed into saying they hate new TMNT films before they've even seen them...

DarkLightDragon
01-19-2016, 08:59 AM
You call it "brainwashing," I call it common sense.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
01-19-2016, 12:19 PM
It was even number one video! I think people now are brainwashed into saying they hate new TMNT films before they've even seen them...

or you know people buy it as gifts

you know how many times i get asked if i own tmnt 2014 or dragonball evolution and if i want them as presents?

Bry
01-19-2016, 12:25 PM
I think people now are brainwashed into saying they hate new TMNT films before they've even seen them...

Or y'know, maybe you could stop misattributing made-up motives onto people just because they have a different opinion than you? That'd be swell.

you know how many times i get asked if i own tmnt 2014 or dragonball evolution and if i want them as presents?

Oh god, the well-meaning offer that feels like an unintentional kick in the fan-teeth. So wonderfully awkward trying to explain that you like a thing, but don't like that specific thing, without sounding like a rambling lunatic. :lol:

(I've found that most people I know thought BayTurtles was pretty lousy or are completely uninterested in seeing it at all. But it's still best to say "no thanks, I didn't care for it" and then change the subject.)

Zak The Neutrino
01-19-2016, 12:40 PM
My son doesn't like it at all. He prefers the original movie or FW cartoon.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
01-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Oh god, the well-meaning offer that feels like an unintentional kick in the fan-teeth. So wonderfully awkward trying to explain that you like a thing, but don't like that specific thing, without sounding like a rambling lunatic. :lol:

(I've found that most people I know thought BayTurtles was pretty lousy or are completely uninterested in seeing it at all. But it's still best to say "no thanks, I didn't care for it" and then change the subject.)

haha preach it

its usually my older family,aunts, uncles, grand parents...only reason i own anything 2k14 is because my gfs brother bought me a donatello

DarkLightDragon
01-19-2016, 03:28 PM
It's pretty much both a blessing and a curse to have any friends or family know your interests.

Etsyturtle2
01-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Some did, others didn't.

Coola Yagami
01-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Honestly of the few kids I know, the ones within reasoning age thought it was stupid. The ones that are practically toddlers like it but then again, they'd also jump up and down for the TMNT Christmas special too. I only know a few friends that JUST HAVE to bring their kids with them wherever they go, so I basically gauged their reactions to it. I did hear a random kid or two say 'this is stupid' in the theater, and I tried hard not to laugh since some of my friends were actually trying to like the film and woulda been annoyed by me saying 'see, even the kids this was intended for hate it.'

IndigoErth
01-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Any leverage used with kids that do like it... well, half of them probably also like to eat paste so I'm not sure how much credit their personal taste should be given in these matters. :tlol:

And the adult paste eaters, forget it.