PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 turns 10 Years Old

TigerClaw
11-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Today the Xbox 360 turns 10 years old, It was first released on Nov 22nd 2005.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-xbox-360-dominated-a-decade/1100-6432469/

Papenbrook
11-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Happy tenth anniversary, Xbox 360!

CyberCubed
11-22-2015, 12:11 PM
I've never owned one, but I greatly appreciate what it did for the industry. It also got Sony's ass in gear when they thought they could rest on their laurels after the success of the PS2. A lot of people tend to forget the 360 was outselling the then $600 PS3 back in 2006-2007 and all the major exclusives came out on 360 first.

I've always been a Nintendo and Sony fan so I've never owned the console, but there's no doubt its significance to the industry as a whole. The online, the debut of strong third party games like Mass Effect, Bioshock, Dead Rising, Oblivion, etc. As well as some Rare games like Viva Pinata.

Its hard to believe its already been 10 years. Time really has flown by since the early/mid 2000's.

Prowler
11-22-2015, 12:22 PM
I've never owned one, but I greatly appreciate what it did for the industry. It also got Sony's ass in gear when they thought they could rest on their laurels after the success of the PS2. A lot of people tend to forget the 360 was outselling the then $600 PS3 back in 2006-2007 and all the major exclusives came out on 360 first.

I've always been a Nintendo and Sony fan so I've never owned the console, but there's no doubt its significance to the industry as a whole. The online, the debut of strong third party games like Mass Effect, Bioshock, Dead Rising, Oblivion, etc. As well as some Rare games like Viva Pinata.

Its hard to believe its already been 10 years. Time really has flown by since the early/mid 2000's.
Likewise, I've never owned a 360 either, although I was interested in getting one around 2009, but ended up not doing so. It seemed like a better option to the PS3 due to the better online(albeit paid) and the lower price. PS3's launch price was insane and it also took some time for the console library to kick off. Remember the "PS3 has no games" meme?

Hard to believe it's been 10 years, yes.

Btw, how many 360's got the red ring of death? lol

TigerClaw
11-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Likewise, I've never owned a 360 either, although I was interested in getting one around 2009, but ended up not doing so. It seemed like a better option to the PS3 due to the better online(albeit paid) and the lower price. PS3's launch price was insane and it also took some time for the console library to kick off. Remember the "PS3 has no games" meme?

Hard to believe it's been 10 years, yes.

Btw, how many 360's got the red ring of death? lol
My 1st 360 red ring, But my 2nd one is still working fine.

Pollyparrot
11-29-2015, 11:33 PM
It was a fun console while it lasted.

JTH
11-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Kinda ironic considering it held the gaming industry back nearly 10 years...

But trust me, I've ranted about that for too long. :blanksta:

Pollyparrot
11-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Kinda ironic considering it held the gaming industry back nearly 10 years...

But trust me, I've ranted about that for too long. :blanksta:

Red ring comes to mind. That's why I'm not playing this console anymore. That had a great line up of games.

JTH
11-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Red ring comes to mind. That's why I'm not playing this console anymore. That had a great line up of games.
That's not even the half of it, trust me, my utter despise of Microsoft the 360 went way beyond that.

Pollyparrot
12-01-2015, 01:44 AM
I didn't care for having to pay for Xbox Live Gold. I heard Sony was free. I don't really know if it is today for PS4, but I know Microsoft still charges. I still buy Xbox Live Gold sometimes. Other times I do without online play.

Peanut
12-01-2015, 08:34 AM
That's not even the half of it, trust me, my utter despise of Microsoft the 360 went way beyond that.

Oh, I have to hear this one.

FluffySheep
12-01-2015, 08:47 AM
I grew up with Nintendo but got the 360 after the Gamecube as I didn't really want the Wii as much. I've had 3 360's in total after 2 Red Rings. I've had some great times with great games in the past 10 years with the 360 but I'm going back to Nintendo from now on, starting with the new 3DS XL this Christmas.

JTH
12-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Oh, I have to hear this one.
Alright Peanut, I'll give my .02 on this again. Since I figure you'd back me on this one.

Microsoft by trying to get a jump on Sony & Nintendo with the 360 release a full year before any HD Video Format was ready many moons ago (HD-DVD & Blu-Ray), thus having to use Regular DVD for their brand new H-Def XBox 360 system and it's dinky 8.5 GB of data per game. (Which is also why the 360 was so much cheaper than the PS3 by using DVD, because the PS3 was using the brand-spanking new Blu-Ray drives that were barely a year old at the time. So of course they were going to cost much more, they should have.)

Now anyone that remembers the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray format war remembers one of the big advantages the Blu-Ray had in terms of discs was storage capacity.

Dual Layer HD-DVD Disc - 30 GB
Dual Layer Blu-Ray Disc - 50 GB

Now in the day, industries until very late in the game operated under one principle, manufacture to cater the lowest common denominator. Meaning movies that were put on both formats, were formulated to fit on HD-DVD's lower storage capacity, meaning Blu-Ray users were getting discs that didn't take full advantage of the format. HD-DVD's had special bonus features put in SD rather than HD to keep file sizes down and keep data down to be able to fit on 1 disc. Therefore, they were put on the Blu-Ray in the same way. And it went on like that until studios began going format exclusive.

Now understand by the same token where content was reduced to fit on the HD-DVD versions for movies.

How do you think that affected games? That were multi-platform.

Keep in mind, The Xbox 360 used Regular DVD.

Dual Layer DVD - 8.5 GB (Less than 1/5 the storage of a D.L. Blu-Ray)

Mutli platform games per result on the PS3 had to be limited by what 360's limited storage capacity was, therefore you had PS3 games on Blu-Ray discs that had only 9 gigs of content because they were held back by the 360's lack of data storage was. (Lowest Common Denominator Selling. And in a way PS4 games are the same being Microsoft still puts new releases on the 360 to this day).

I mean think about it, why do you think the 360 had some game releases that were put on 2-4 discs? Because it was Regular DVD. Even on HD-DVD at the time, those games could have all been put on 1 disc.

Also, think about games like the WWE series or the Madden series, that have yearly releases. People complained for years why the Madden games weren't improving. Why wasn't the PS3 taking advantage of their 50 GB Blu-Ray discs and improving the game? Well, because as long as those games were being put on the 360 as well, they couldn't.

And if Microsoft had waited a year for any HD video format to come out then, (Even if it was HD-DVD at the time) We could have had the level of games we're having now nearly 6-7 years before they finally released the XBox One.

Only when the XBone was the gaming industry finally able take advantage of the HD video formats, but because of Microsoft's greed to get a jump on the PS3 and the Wii and using Standard DVD as their delivery medium, held the gaming industry back.

And that is where my bitterness for the 360 comes from.

Thanks Peanut, now I'm worn out from typing. I need to take a nap now... :sleep:

Peanut
12-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Oh, wow. I could go ahead and point out all the reasons that makes absolutely no sense, but I'm not going to bother. Suffice to say the capacity of physical disc media did nothing to hinder the quality or growth of games on either platform.

Zak The Neutrino
12-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Let's celebrate buy counting how many red ring of deaths all us 360 owners had. :lol:

I've got the red ring of death 3 times.

FluffySheep
12-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Let's celebrate buy counting how many red ring of deaths all us 360 owners had. :lol:

I've got the red ring of death 3 times.

I've had 2 red rings.

Peanut
12-01-2015, 05:18 PM
I got it once. The night I got home from the Halo 3 midnight launch and put the disc in the drive.

That was a nightmare.

Pollyparrot
12-01-2015, 05:38 PM
I got it once. The night I got home from the Halo 3 midnight launch and put the disc in the drive.

That was a nightmare.

That sucks. Two red rings here. We need that Count from Sesame Street. One red ring ah ha ha....... two red ring ah ha ha.

Leo656
12-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Never got it, knock on wood. First one just stopped reading discs after a while. I wasn't shocked when it died, between my wife and I the thing was almost never turned off. I think it lasted like three years. Then we got a newer black one with a much bigger hard drive a couple Christmases ago.

I never got into 360 ownership expecting that it would turn out to be the console I own and play the most games for but that's accidentally what happened.

Mayhem
12-02-2015, 03:47 AM
I joined the last gen at the start of 2009 by getting a 360, there were a few XBLA games I wanted, and Mirror's Edge. Haven't really looked back.

Was a middle version Elite model bought (Jasper CPU, 120GB HD) and it still works fine, no red rings, no nothing. Fan is a little louder. Spring gone on one of the flaps though.

To me, the 360 is one of the most rounded and best consoles in general that has been released. Certainly a better selection of games than the current gen.

Peanut
12-02-2015, 10:09 AM
To me, the 360 is one of the most rounded and best consoles in general that has been released. Certainly a better selection of games than the current gen.

Agreed. Taste aside, I believe it very difficult to dispute how solid the 360 was.

It defined what a modern console is. Period. The deep integration of Live as a service, digital store fronts, DLC add-ons, friend list integration and achievements. They ushered in the era of indie games and legitimized them in a way that has had a profound impact on the entire industry.

I think the 360, and Microsoft in general, get a lot of undeserved sh*t these days, because Sony owns the narrative so firmly, and people have seriously forgotten how much Microsoft and the 360 brought to the table last generation. I think in 10-15 years people are going to look back and realize exactly how much of an impact the 360 had.

Prowler
12-02-2015, 04:16 PM
I joined the last gen at the start of 2009 by getting a 360, there were a few XBLA games I wanted, and Mirror's Edge. Haven't really looked back.

Was a middle version Elite model bought (Jasper CPU, 120GB HD) and it still works fine, no red rings, no nothing. Fan is a little louder. Spring gone on one of the flaps though.

Not buying a 360 is one of my biggest regrets as a gamer.