PDA

View Full Version : (Possible) Unused 'Donatello' Action Choreography from PD's TMNT

graphic_content
11-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Daniel Graham, professional stuntman, and martial art tricker, recently posted a reel of his work on YouTube. Several sequences showcase the mocap work he did for 2014's Turtle film, in addition, there were two sequences in particular where he was outfitted like 'Donatello' (complete with shell, foam staff), fighting a host of Foot Clan.

I'm betting this is unused choreography from the 2014 reboot, and not from the upcoming sequel, as they've probably banned use of behind the scenes footage until closer to release. But he did write the word 'TEMPORARY' in the title, so who knows.

TCXiS0eqCJs

IndigoErth
11-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Very interesting, agree that it looks like maybe they were working on choreography, or perhaps testing out how to work with that shell piece on.

Candy Kappa
11-25-2015, 01:30 AM
He sure likes spinning around.

Commenter 42
11-25-2015, 01:40 AM
His form is pretty loose. spinning is cool and all, but once you've seen one, the rest leaves you a little cold. Sure it takes a lot of training to pull off a 540 or 720, but the question is - is it interesting.

I get that chreography needs to be "staged - but with CG, it could have more impact. The mocap feels like they're dancing, not fighting.

Real fights, pack more -er -punch. wonder if they'l ever be able to transfer this "feeling" to CG.

kXyn54ClAdA.

Thing is, when you watch the typical kind of movie violence, it looks harmless - even when someone gets shot, or stabbed, or killed, theres a sense it's not really happening.
If fights had this level of "reality", you're left feeling different - maybe even queasy.

bushido
11-25-2015, 08:42 AM
He sure likes spinning around.

It's called Tricking.

Bry
11-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Main takeaway from the BayTurtles clips: imagine how much better the action scenes would look if they were actually shot well and the camera wasn't constantly shaking around? Colossal script/story issues aside, that movie suffered from some pretty incompetent direction. Pointless/nonsensical camera swoops, dutch angles, and shaky-cam action sequences don't cover for a lack of fundamental skill, Liebesman.

Candy Kappa
11-25-2015, 12:04 PM
It's called Tricking.

I know :roll: