PDA

View Full Version : Whats the appeal of Mix N Match?

Pollyparrot
12-01-2015, 01:02 AM
I know its a kid's line, but what's so great about having a Raph with a DogPound head? Does anyone actually buy these? I like the sculpts. I'm not hating on them. I just want to know what other people think.

Spidergreg
12-01-2015, 02:59 AM
They have better scale than the standard release.

Ninturtle
12-01-2015, 04:18 AM
I know its a kid's line, but what's so great about having a Raph with a DogPound head? Does anyone actually buy these? I like the sculpts. I'm not hating on them. I just want to know what other people think.

Kids would like mixing and matching figures, that's why they have the line.

HeroTurtlesFan
12-01-2015, 05:47 AM
It's just copying the recent Hasbro craze of "Mashers" - Hasbro have released Marvel, Transformers, Jurassic World and Star Wars hero mashers that "mix and match". Playmates wanted in on the action. Harmless enough and kind of fun.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Ya got me, but my kid loves them. :trolleye:

Splinter
12-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Nothing wrong with giving kids something they can creatively play with.

Bry
12-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Every major franchise seems to have a line like these, so they're clearly selling. I get the appeal -- for kids, being able to mix and match pieces of your favourite characters into some weird new things would be pretty fun. And these toys are firmly aimed at kids, not adult collectors.

Really, the only toys Playmates has made aimed at adult collectors were the 6" collector's series, and those didn't really please the fans they were made for. Playmates pretty much only does kid-oriented toys. There's nothing wrong with that, so long as they let other companies make the adult-oriented stuff.

VaughnMichael
12-01-2015, 12:23 PM
My only complaint is that they should have made the packaging different enough that store employees could keep them separated from the basic line so the shelves aren't flooded with a sub-line and no basic figures are on the shelves.

oldmanwinters
12-01-2015, 12:37 PM
My only complaint is that they should have made the packaging different enough that store employees could keep them separated from the basic line so the shelves aren't flooded with a sub-line and no basic figures are on the shelves.

Yeah, I find that frustrating when I'm searching the racks for a Fugitoid or something and finding one Mix N Match figure after another. I think think the ratio of Mix-N-Match to standard figures is probably something like 75% to 25% from where I'm at.

IndigoErth
12-01-2015, 12:44 PM
I don't own any, though I sorta wish the same company was behind the different lines of the whole, uh, concept(?). It would have been cool if the different ones (TMNT, Marvel, the Star Wars ones I've recently seen, etc.) were interchangeable with each other and proportionally compatible.

I suppose for the companies, what's included in the package is a great push to spend more and collect the whole set. Else you are just left with one stray arm or leg that doesn't really go anywhere; and some kid is bound to not want to do without the rest of the otherwise missing figure.

Antrax
12-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Do any of the figures come with an extra body or does everyone have a bunch of spare limbs?

Candy Kappa
12-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Do any of the figures come with an extra body or does everyone have a bunch of spare limbs?

They come with 1 extra limb to showcase the action feature.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-01-2015, 03:08 PM
They come with 1 extra limb to showcase the action feature.

And to incentivize further purchases. :twink:

Autbot_Benz
12-01-2015, 03:40 PM

this all I ever see is Mix n Match Crap mixed in with the Basic Line. They are a disease in the toy shelves.

Powder
12-01-2015, 03:45 PM
All I know is that I wouldn't have liked these as a kid. I don't see the practicality. I always liked to play within the scope of the series, & there's no genetic fusing goin' on in the show. :trazz:

Pollyparrot
12-01-2015, 04:35 PM
I think I get it now. So just a toy to sit in the floor and swap out parts with other figures. I can see that as a fun toy for kids. Lasting appeal doesn't seem to be there. A detachable shell to stick on the back of Shredder would be a good feature. As it is, you put a Leo head on Shredder, and he doesn't look like a turtle. As for those extra parts they come with, I think they should be new sculpts so that if you collect them all, you can build a new figure entirely.

tmntman
12-02-2015, 12:35 AM
As others have said, it's just an alternative to the basic assortment figures. Most even seem to be based on the same prototype sculpt. But the part swapping feature is something kids should enjoy.

I'm just disappointed that they have a line that was going to require they include an extra body part or two with each figure and they still didn't take advantage of the opportunity to do a Build A Figure. Instead you get a bunch of extra Donatello and Metalhead parts, all of which are pointless if you actually buy the Donatello or Metalhead Mix and Match figures.

BTW, I just posted reviews of the first three series of Mix and Match figures and a ton of photos. Check it out if you are interested.

Series 1 (http://www.tmnttoys.com/15figures/mixmatch/review.html)

Series 2 and 3 (http://www.tmnttoys.com/15figures/mixmatch2/review.html)

Pollyparrot
12-02-2015, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the information, TMNTman. I will look at the reviews.

Ninjinister
12-02-2015, 12:55 AM
As others have said, it's just an alternative to the basic assortment figures. Most even seem to be based on the same prototype sculpt. But the part swapping feature is something kids should enjoy.

I'm just disappointed that they have a line that was going to require they include an extra body part or two with each figure and they still didn't take advantage of the opportunity to do a Build A Figure. Instead you get a bunch of extra Donatello and Metalhead parts, all of which are pointless if you actually buy the Donatello or Metalhead Mix and Match figures.

BTW, I just posted reviews of the first three series of Mix and Match figures and a ton of photos. Check it out if you are interested.

I had no idea there were single carded Dogpound and Rahzar.

go_ninja84
12-02-2015, 01:44 AM
they also changed to Michelangelo's head from Leonardo on the box art, still same body though lol

darthwahl56
12-02-2015, 03:22 AM

Man, I would still like to get a hold of those UK exclusives.

Mixing figure parts does make sense with TMNT. It's fun and silly like the toys should be. This is probably the best idea Playmates has used so far. I just wish the extra limbs didn't always have to be either Metalhead or Donatello.

tmntman
12-02-2015, 07:53 AM
I had no idea there were single carded Dogpound and Rahzar.

Just released. There were a few of the series three Mix and Match figures in the display shippers that Target's received for Black Friday.

tmntman
12-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Mixing figure parts does make sense with TMNT. It's fun and silly like the toys should be. This is probably the best idea Playmates has used so far. I just wish the extra limbs didn't always have to be either Metalhead or Donatello.

That really bugs me as well. It is such an obvious opportunity for a build a figure promo when you already are including spare body parts in with the figures. And that would have encouraged people to buy multiple figures in the line and could have increased the sales. At the very least, they could have not made the spare parts redundant. Give us Metalhead's parts sculpted with his various weapons systems activated. Give us a masked and unmasked Shredder. Do something with the parts other than just throw in extras that will be tossed aside by anyone who already owns Donatello and Metalhead.

VaughnMichael
12-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Oh I forgot to report that I saw the mix and match footsoldier as well.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-02-2015, 02:51 PM
I bought exactly four of these, and it was for one reason only. To build my own versions of Cyber-Don and a Mikey a la SAINW. I can now do both, and still have Metalhead intact. All I needed was Slash, Mikey, Donnie and Metalhead. Slash was also taller than the basic line, too, which was a bonus. I do have some plans for all those extra Donnie parts, though. Let's just say I have a morbid imagination....

Prototype
12-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Great reviews, thank you.

Ninjinister
12-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Just released. There were a few of the series three Mix and Match figures in the display shippers that Target's received for Black Friday.

Oh so in other words I'll see them in March.