PDA

View Full Version : Double Fine's New Kickstarter

matteso586
12-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Just so you know, Double Fine has recently started a kickstarter for a sequel to the game, Psychonauts.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2

Peanut
12-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Who sent your here, Double Fine employee!?

Sorry, Tim. I watched Double Fine Adventure. I know how this story plays out.

Wait, 2PP is making another doc around this one? Sh*t. *backs*

matteso586
12-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Who sent your here, Double Fine employee!?

Sorry, Tim. I watched Double Fine Adventure. I know how this story plays out.

Wait, 2PP is making another doc around this one? Sh*t. *backs*

I was just spreading news. And that mean I'm not a Double Fine employee.

Peanut
12-09-2015, 06:59 PM
I was only joking.

ProactiveMan
12-13-2015, 09:55 AM
Remember when businesses used to reinvest income into development? To hell with that, donate to your favorite for-profit today.

Peanut
12-15-2015, 11:27 AM
The problem with Double Fine being they make a lot of stuff that doesn't make enough profit to support something like Psychonauts 2. If you watch the (incredible) doc they released as they were making Broken Age you'll see how they were constantly struggling to not lay people off, keep the lights on, ans deliver on their vision and promises. Their plan the entire time is to generate enough money to no longer rely on publishers and become fully independent, but they can't. Even Broken Age, which they constantly prop up as something they're banking on to make them enough money to finally achieve that dream, doesn't do as well as they hope.

I think people really need to check out that documentary and see just how badly a company like Double Fine, who make great games for a niche audience, rely on pretty much every penny they make just to keep operating, let alone give them a base to work on new internally developed projects.

ProactiveMan
12-16-2015, 02:55 AM
I get it, and I admire Double Fine in an 'Old Man and the Sea' kind of way; I just think if you can't stay afloat on profit eventually, your boned. A lot of developers who have gone back to the Kickstarter well, have noticed diminishing returns on their second and third trips.

The fact that they decided to exhume a recognizable IP suggests to me that they know the second time is going to be harder. There are only so many tricks you can pull to peak peoples interest though, and eventually they are going to get sick of giving you money.

matteso586
12-22-2015, 07:53 AM
Just so you know, the kickstarter is currently at 86%.