PDA

View Full Version : Rate Your Trailer Hype

Powder
12-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Some pleasant surprises were afoot. Not as much hate going around. Let's see where y'all stand on this one. (Poll incoming)

I'm surprised it was a decent trailer, this flick looks like it'll be significantly better than the last. Voted Cautiously Optimistic...!

CyberCubed
12-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Looks like it'll definitely be better than the first movie, but by how much, I'm not sure. Looks like it'll have some exciting action scenes at least.

At least we have an Asian Shredder from the start and no false "white man Eric Sachs" eating away screentime, and it seems the Turtles all got nose jobs somewhere because their nostrils are a lot smaller. Still don't like Donnie wearing glasses at all though. And thank god Bebop is black before mutation as well.

Other than that who knows. Casey looks awesome at least, and I'm oddly glad to see Vernon return too.

MrTMNT2012
12-09-2015, 08:59 PM
A marked improvement in terms of accuracy to the source material and more respect given to the art of film-making in general.

Love how, unlike Transformers, each movie has a different feel and a distinct action set-piece as oppose to the same old 'big fight on a skyscraper'. Last movie had the snow chase, this time we have a water siege...with a tank. Badass af!

TurtleTitan97
12-09-2015, 09:03 PM
I was.....unimpressed.

Autbot_Benz
12-09-2015, 09:05 PM
This movie looks great its Fred Wolf on Bayroids

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Huge improvement; still skeptical.

Leo656
12-09-2015, 09:16 PM
It's every single thing I expected it to be and I am not a fan.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-09-2015, 09:23 PM
It's every single thing I expected it to be and I am not a fan.

Leo, you hack. There are TURTLES in this movie!!!! How can you not love it!?

Wait, not turtles. Sorry. Galapagos Tortoises, to be precise. :twink:

Leo656
12-09-2015, 09:30 PM
And they raided Magic Mike's wardrobe for some f***ing reason.

I agree with those who say it's an improvement over the last one. I also say that 100 times 0 is still 0. So it can be a hundred times better than the first and that still wouldn't matter much. It's mostly everything the last one was, with more bad CGI and awful "jokes".

sdp
12-09-2015, 09:43 PM
We didn't get the mirage inspired film Laird promised before he sold the franchise so everyone dismissed the new movie without giving it a chance. Of course Bay/Fox being involved didn't help and neither did the turtle designs but the first movie was able to get the personalities of the turtles right so while the convoluted everyone is connected to the origin of the turtles I always thought it had potential and could be redeemed in a future movie and this movie seems to be doing that. This is already a wacky universe so let's have fun with it and see all the weird crazy sci-fi crap that wouldn't fit in any other more serious TMNT movie universe.

Sighphi
12-09-2015, 09:47 PM
not sure yet.
The biggest problem with the last movie is the story.
It was stupid.
This movie can look better than the last but if it's the same Bay-lite approach, it's not really going to that much of a step above.

Leo656
12-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Anyone who says that Dumb Jock Raphael, Creepy Perv Mikey and King Of All Nerds Donatello were "perfect" representations of the Turtles' personalities... I seriously think your TMNT Lenses have some smudges on them. At least *I* have never seen or imagined the Turtles as anything like those guys.

Those aren't characters, they're caricatures.

sdp
12-09-2015, 09:56 PM
I never said perfect, I said they got it right. And more than their personalities I meant to say their interactions with one another. The turtles personalities have always been a caricature in most incarnations.

Bry
12-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Anyone who says that Dumb Jock Raphael, Creepy Perv Mikey and King Of All Nerds Donatello were "perfect" representations of the Turtles' personalities... I seriously think your TMNT Lenses have some smudges on them. At least *I* have never seen or imagined the Turtles as anything like those guys.

Those aren't characters, they're caricatures.

Bingo again. :tgrin:

And honestly... getting the Turtles' personalities "right" is the absolute bare minimum. That shouldn't be difficult. But even then, at best, the movie fired for the bullseye and hit the outer rim of the dartboard. And that was the thing the movie did best.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Bingo again. :tgrin:

And honestly... getting the Turtles' personalities "right" is the absolute bare minimum. That shouldn't be difficult. But even then, at best, the movie fired for the bullseye and hit the outer rim of the dartboard. And that was the thing the movie did best.

Don't forget the blue turtle, ol' whatsisface. Leon? Was that it?

Technogeek29
12-09-2015, 10:27 PM
I was.....unimpressed.

I caught that reference.

http://www.theunicorncomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/unimpressed.jpg

plastroncafe
12-09-2015, 10:40 PM
I kind of like dumb-jock Raph, to be honest. Of the four of them he was the only one who came closest to entertaining me as I slogged through the movie that is now the first of a series.

Cripes, that's a depressing sentiment...

Technogeek29
12-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Ok I'm not seeing it discuss but I must know. Who the heck are the aliens? Utroms? Triceratons? (highly doubt) Dimension X weirdness?

pennydreadful
12-10-2015, 03:18 AM
It ain't my bag. Like Leo said, given how craptacular the first one was, this one looking like it's an improvement on BayTurtles 1 doesn't really hold much bank. They set the bar so low that an ant could step over it.

zYMD_W_r3Fg

Candy Kappa
12-10-2015, 03:57 AM
It looks better, but still ain't seeing it in the cinema.

Miles
12-10-2015, 07:30 AM
And they raided Magic Mike's wardrobe for some f***ing reason.

I agree with those who say it's an improvement over the last one. I also say that 100 times 0 is still 0. So it can be a hundred times better than the first and that still wouldn't matter much. It's mostly everything the last one was, with more bad CGI and awful "jokes".

My thoughts exactly. At least I never had any hopes to be dashed... :lol:

Commenter 42
12-10-2015, 07:43 AM
I didn't want to punch things this time, so I went with not sure yet, because I'm not sure yet why I didn't want to punch things.

Some kind of voodoo or something.

LeoRaph
12-10-2015, 08:15 AM
It's...just...not my Turtles.

Mirage, 2K3 and the 1990 Movie is my kind of thing. This is Fred Wolf The Movie Guest Starring Green Arrow and that's not a good thing...to me at least. I'm sure there are people who love the Fred Wolf series and sure it was great in its time but it didn't age well more importantly it was NEVER the True Turtles. Putting Fred Wolf on the Big Screen only diminishes who the Turtles Really are. Hell, there's a reason this is 'directed' by a guy who did a kids movie and well this a kids movie...a bad kid's movie...bay style :trolleye:

Good luck, god's speed, fingers crossed and knock on wood to those who are actually optimistic who hated the first one but I will not be paying money for this. I made the terrible mistake of spending $20 on a ticket and wasting my free movie ticket credit for my partner for Bay Turtles 1 as I wanted to believe, I wanted to go against my gut. I just wanted a Good TMNT Movie...I should have listened to my gut. Never again.

I still have faith TMNT will be done right and even better than the benchmark 1990 Movie...I just might have to use my senior discount by the time that happens.

DarkFell
12-10-2015, 10:08 AM
I pretty much hit the wrong option (being tired and not entirely paying enough attention to what I was doing had much to do with it), but in all truth, I'm still not entirely sure as to what to make out of this sequel.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
12-10-2015, 10:12 AM
didnt pay for the first one not paying for this one

Spike Spiegel
12-10-2015, 06:51 PM
I hope there is a balance between comedy and action.

Gary Anthony Williams is a talented character actor, so his Bebop should be rather interesting.

I agree with @LeoRaph in that this Fred Wolf-themed version is not my preferred incarnation, but this movie could gain a lot of good will from even the most "casual" fans--especially the ones who worship the old cartoon. This would make it different from the first movie, which was basically screwed from the get-go by Internet rants and fan complaints. That good will could translate to Nick seeing the franchise as more financially viable.

Going off that train of thought (this is wishful thinking), I hope the inevitable tie-in brings box sets of various TMNT dvd materials (a remastered 1990 film? 2K3?) to store shelves.

snake
12-10-2015, 07:14 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe it'll be ok.

Jester
12-10-2015, 07:21 PM
It looks better, but still ain't seeing it in the cinema.
This is more than likely me. It looks leaps and bounds better, and I am not as angered by this trailer as I was the 1st movie, but I'm still a little leery.

TerranigmaFreak
12-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Can't believe I'm saying this, but yes, I am excited. Certainly cautiously optimistic. It feels like the most improved sequel I've ever seen. Not so mucha sequel that's better than the original, but a sequel that actually took a bad original and made it good.

Leo656
12-10-2015, 09:55 PM
It's...just...not my Turtles.

Mirage, 2K3 and the 1990 Movie is my kind of thing. This is Fred Wolf The Movie Guest Starring Green Arrow and that's not a good thing...to me at least. I'm sure there are people who love the Fred Wolf series and sure it was great in its time but it didn't age well more importantly it was NEVER the True Turtles. Putting Fred Wolf on the Big Screen only diminishes who the Turtles Really are. Hell, there's a reason this is 'directed' by a guy who did a kids movie and well this a kids movie...a bad kid's movie...bay style :trolleye:

Good luck, god's speed, fingers crossed and knock on wood to those who are actually optimistic who hated the first one but I will not be paying money for this. I made the terrible mistake of spending $20 on a ticket and wasting my free movie ticket credit for my partner for Bay Turtles 1 as I wanted to believe, I wanted to go against my gut. I just wanted a Good TMNT Movie...I should have listened to my gut. Never again.

I still have faith TMNT will be done right and even better than the benchmark 1990 Movie...I just might have to use my senior discount by the time that happens.

Yeah man. Being a TMNT fan of more "sophisticated" tastes is frustrating, because Hollywood is basically cramming it down your throat, over and over again, "NO! That's WRONG! SEE? It's JUST goofy kids' sh*t! See? SEE?!?"

It's like they can't understand that there are a LOT of TMNT fans, who loved the old cartoon THEN but either can't stand it or barely tolerate it now, and THOSE fans matter TOO. And not only that, they want to SHAME and SCOLD those fans. "Who do you think you are, taking any of this sh*t seriously? Why do you even care, this is TMNT, it's not for YOU. Nobody cares about any of that stuff in Mirage or the old movies, all that boring plot and character development bullsh*t. DIMENSION X! A TRUCK THAT SHOOTS MANHOLE COVERS! TANKS, buddy!"

I don't care about any of that sh*t, man. I really, really, REALLY don't watch movies to see any of that sh*t. I'd watch a 3-hour drama film staged with marionettes if the story was good and the characters were compelling. I DON'T like TMNT as cheesy camp (or at least, I can appreciate it but don't prefer it). I DON'T like pizza jokes and catchprases. I DON'T like movies that pick and choose at random when the laws of physics do and don't apply.

These aren't My TMNT either, buddy. :ohwell: And literally not one person holding the franchise reigns gives a single solitary sh*t what you or I want or think, because implying that a more mature take on TMNT could ever possibly work disrupts their precious narrative to the contrary, which they use to market more plastic junk to 6-year-olds. And they'll come at you with, "Why would you even WANT that?" I don't know, maybe because the 2K3 show was really good, mostly? Because the 1990 movie was really good, dare I even say, iconic? Because it's a fact there's a really big audience of TMNT fans who cannot STAND how everyone keeps trying to drag the franchise back into the campy garbage it's spent 25 years trying to grow out of.

You're wrong about one thing. They'll never, EVER make another TMNT movie that's more than a kids movie or a "big dumb fun" action flick. They'll never go near the 1990 or 2K3 style again. If I'm wrong, great. But they don't care about us and I'm convinced they never will.

"Stupid" works for this franchise, in their eyes. They'll never play it straight again. Never, ever. If I'm wrong, I owe you a cracker. :) But I'm never wrong. :(

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-10-2015, 10:01 PM
It's like they can't understand that there are a LOT of TMNT fans, who loved the old cartoon THEN but either can't stand it or barely tolerate it now, and THOSE fans matter TOO. And not only that, they want to SHAME and SCOLD those fans. "Who do you think you are, taking any of this sh*t seriously? Why do you even care, this is TMNT, it's not for YOU. Nobody cares about any of that stuff in Mirage or the old movies, all that boring plot and character development bullsh*t. DIMENSION X! A TRUCK THAT SHOOTS MANHOLE COVERS! TANKS, buddy!

These aren't My TMNT either, buddy. :ohwell: And literally not one person holding the franchise reigns gives a single solitary sh*t what you or I want or think, because implying that a more mature take on TMNT could ever possibly work disrupts their precious narrative to the contrary, which they use to market more plastic junk to 6-year-olds. And they'll come at you with, "Why would you even WANT that?" I don't know, maybe because the 2K3 show was really good, mostly? Because the 1990 movie was really good, dare I even say, iconic? Because it's a fact there's a really big audience of TMNT fans who cannot STAND how everyone keeps trying to drag the franchise back into the campy garbage it's spent 25 years trying to grow out of.

You're wrong about one thing. They'll never, EVER make another TMNT movie that's more than a kids movie or a "big dumb fun" action flick. They'll never go near the 1990 or 2K3 style again. If I'm wrong, great. But they don't care about us and I'm convinced they never will.

It's depressing to think that the three greatest and most serious takes on the Turtles (Mirage/Image, 4Kids, and IDW) are also the three most overlooked and least marketed.

But Nick (which had and still has potential, but is drowning in terrible creative choices and goofiness), Platinum Dunes, and Fred Wolf TMNT are the big three, the money makers, and the action figures.

Dammit.

Technogeek29
12-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Yeah man. Being a TMNT fan of more "sophisticated" tastes is frustrating, because Hollywood is basically cramming it down your throat, over and over again, "NO! That's WRONG! SEE? It's JUST goofy kids' sh*t! See? SEE?!?"

It's like they can't understand that there are a LOT of TMNT fans, who loved the old cartoon THEN but either can't stand it or barely tolerate it now, and THOSE fans matter TOO. And not only that, they want to SHAME and SCOLD those fans. "Who do you think you are, taking any of this sh*t seriously? Why do you even care, this is TMNT, it's not for YOU. Nobody cares about any of that stuff in Mirage or the old movies, all that boring plot and character development bullsh*t. DIMENSION X! A TRUCK THAT SHOOTS MANHOLE COVERS! TANKS, buddy!"

I don't care about any of that sh*t, man. I really, really, REALLY don't watch movies to see any of that sh*t. I'd watch a 3-hour drama film staged with marionettes if the story was good and the characters were compelling. I DON'T like TMNT as cheesy camp (or at least, I can appreciate it but don't prefer it). I DON'T like pizza jokes and catchprases. I DON'T like movies that pick and choose at random when the laws of physics do and don't apply.

"Stupid" works for this franchise, in their eyes. They'll never play it straight again. Never, ever. If I'm wrong, I owe you a cracker. :) But I'm never wrong. :(

YES!!!! This I love the OT but I am seriously tired of it. I'm tired of seeing its merchandise. I'm tired of hearing remixes of the intro (and I like that intro) I'm tired of its fans (very much so) And I just want to hire a priest to cleanse it's possessive ghost on the franchise.

And before you call me a hypocrite for liking IDW which has OT characters. They are not only few in quantity but use in much better quality. Unlike Nick which has recently just put Character X simply because whatever you recognize that character. I would love an IDW movie. for the record this PD bayfest may cherry pick elements from IDW but it ain't IDW not by a long shot.

Leo656
12-10-2015, 10:24 PM
I love the idea of taking characters and ideas from the old cartoon and using them again. I just prefer that it be something more... evolved, than it was originally.

I don't like the idea of basically just doing it exactly like it was, warts and all. It keeps implying that the Fred Wolf cartoon was the Very Best version of the TMNT and... it's NOT. The fact that EVERYTHING has to have big heaping gobs of FW smeared all over it forevermore just drives me up a wall.

It's like being a Batman fan, if suddenly everyone woke up and decided that the last 50 years were a mistake and the Adam West show was the version that nailed it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-10-2015, 10:26 PM
I love the idea of taking characters and ideas from the old cartoon and using them again. I just prefer that it be something more... evolved, than it was originally.

I don't like the idea of basically just doing it exactly like it was, warts and all. It keeps implying that the Fred Wolf cartoon was the Very Best version of the TMNT and... it's NOT. The fact that EVERYTHING has to have big heaping gobs of FW smeared all over it forevermore just drives me up a wall.

It's like being a Batman fan, if suddenly everyone woke up and decided that the last 50 years were a mistake and the Adam West show was the version that nailed it.

You've nailed it. Fred Wolf TMNT is equivalent to Adam West Batman. A cheesy cornball nightmare that will not just go away.

Bry
12-10-2015, 10:28 PM

I feel like there's a comic that's doing a pretty good job of that right now. But what do I know. :trazz:

And hey, don't get me wrong, I love the Adam West show. It's a hilarious blast to watch and I think it deserves a lot of appreciation for what it was. But that doesn't mean it's the "right" version, or that it should be the guiding force of the entire freaking franchise. It's a very successful camp spinoff, but the long-term potential of the concept absolutely lies elsewhere. Much like TMNT.

letscook89
12-10-2015, 10:35 PM
This trailer is so ****ing awesome guys. Seriously i'm sold right now!

Donatello19
12-10-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm completely sold...if only for Bebop and Rocksteady :lol:

Leo656
12-10-2015, 11:24 PM
I feel like there's a comic that's doing a pretty good job of that right now. But what do I know. :trazz:

And hey, don't get me wrong, I love the Adam West show. It's a hilarious blast to watch and I think it deserves a lot of appreciation for what it was. But that doesn't mean it's the "right" version, or that it should be the guiding force of the entire freaking franchise. It's a very successful camp spinoff, but the long-term potential of the concept absolutely lies elsewhere. Much like TMNT.

I love Adam West Batman. Even now, it absolutely holds up as a pretty much 100% faithful recreation of the comic books of the time. It's super-faithful to what was THEN the source material and an undeniable amount of work went into it. It's honestly a great piece of work.

Buuuuuuuuut no sane person thinks that "Batman" in general should still be following that particular beat. We've all grown up a lot since then. When DC/WB decided they were doing a JLA movie, they didn't try and set it up to look like f*cking Super-Friends. We're past all that now.

But to the people who drive the TMNT wagon, it's 1987 forever, and nothing that happened since counts for anything. I can't get my head around it. Like there wasn't 25 years of TMNT material that was trying to grow up with its fans, or anything. Sigh.

Shark_Blade
12-11-2015, 05:01 AM
Sold of course! Looks like it's gonna be BIG and GREAT. :tlove:

A celebration for all fans.

Leo656
12-11-2015, 06:54 PM
All fans who remain 8 years old inside and don't think anything should come in any flavors other than "Big, Loud and Dumb," yes. :roll:

Eiko
12-11-2015, 06:59 PM
As I said in another thread. just going to wait and see before jugging.

Shark_Blade
12-11-2015, 10:33 PM
I can't thank God enough for all His blessings. Another TMNT movie! :tlove: And it looks like it's gonna be the best one yet after the last one and the first movie!

miru
12-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Still better than TMOC1, except in the designs...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-12-2015, 09:49 AM
I can't thank God enough for all His blessings. Another TMNT movie! :tlove: And it looks like it's gonna be the best one yet after the last one and the first movie!

To quote Jessica Jones: "God didn't do this; the devil did."

Leo656
12-12-2015, 03:06 PM
To quote Jessica Jones: "God didn't do this; the devil did."

And to quote Lex Luthor: "If Man won't kill God... The Devil will do it!"

........because that movie is going to be a million times better than this one. :tgrin:

jenna
12-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Whilst the trailer does look cool, I've learned not to expect any kind of quality from a film on the basis of a slick trailer, so I've voted 'not sure yet'.

The turtle designs are still rubbing me up the wrong way (although marginally improved) and Bebop and Rocksteady look very cartoonish. However, I will be giving it the benefit of the doubt. I'm excited to see how Casey, Karai and Stockman will be portrayed, and if nothing else it looks like it will be very entertaining.

LeotheLateBloomer
12-13-2015, 07:34 AM
I am somewhat excited, yet somewhat skeptical. It definetly looks better than the last one. It took a lot for the cast to apologize for the movie and I sincerely appreciate it. However, I still don't think these people truly understand TMNT lore.

I realize that I'm being a bit selfish when I say this but I like that they found a tone they can work with this time around. For me however, it leans a little to the lighter side. I'm hoping it won't lean too much on comedy otherwise this may not be a series for me. I know this is for selfish reasons but I just want to look past the OT days.

GoldMutant
12-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Is it just me, or is the trailer acting like a 180 of the first film? It's kind of like Amazing Spider-Man and it's sequel in that regard with the former a lot more darker due to the release date whereas the latter became a Spider-Man tone. It almost follows whatever is popular with the darker stuff at first to make money, then the lighter tone due to it making a lot of money, but I digress.

I am going to predict this film being similar in that regard for the tone that should have existed in the first place for a TMNT film, a simplistic plot with a lot of goofiness before a nonexistent dark tone at the end that it won't deserve. Barring the Turtles still look goofy as before (probably worse though) and Bebop and Rocksteady being CGI based cutscenes in a video game, it's still not going to be a good movie.

Is it an improvement? In terms of visual style it's passable but it lacks serious substance with the plot.