PDA

View Full Version : TMNT: Out of the Shadows Set Report

TigerClaw
12-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Joblo has just posted there set report for TMNT 2, and has info on what they saw during the filming.
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-what-we-learned-on-the-set-152

2014's TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES is a mixed bag in even the most generous of assessments. Met mostly with either indifference or anger from fans of the comics and cartoon series, and attacked thoroughly by critics (it received a 21% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with our own Chris Bumbray giving it a 5 out of 10), the franchise reboot wasn't terribly popular but made enough dough ($493 million worldwide) to warrant a sequel. But is anyone clamoring for a sequel that would offer more of the same?

Having been on the set of TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2 - or TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS, as it is now known - I can assure you that the principal parties are not promising more of the same. The message seems to have been received, and multiple people I spoke to on the set - from the Turtles themselves to the producers - are intent on delivering a follow-up that is more in line with what fans wanted the first time around. With the inclusion of favorite characters like Casey Jones, Baxter Stockman and doltish henchman Bebop and Rocksteady - and the return of the Turtles, natch - studio Paramount Pictures and production company Platinum Dunes are fully aiming to gain the trust of the TMNT faithful. Besides, if a mediocre product like the first one can still gobble up $500 million theatrically alone, a sequel that gets things right should easily surpass that figure.

The set visit, which was attended by myself and a handful of other web journalists, took place in late May in Tribeca, New York. The NY Law School had been outfitted to look like a police station, which was the scene of some massive turmoil. Debris was everywhere, extras in Foot Clan costumes strolled about, indicating the villainous group was responsible for the damage. And the Turtles were in the building: actors Noel Fisher (Michelangelo), Alan Ritchson (Raphael), Jeremy Howard (Donotello) and Pete Ploszek (Leonardo) were present, with Fisher and Ritchson outfitted in their elaborate faux-turtles mo-cap suits. This sequence dealt only with Michelangelo and Raphael, but the other guys were nice enough to show up so we could chat with them. Also around from the cast were Laura Linney, who plays a police chief who grudgingly works alongside the Turtles, Stephen Amell, who straps on the hockey mask as Casey Jones, and Megan Fox, returning as April O'Neil. We would only really get face-time with Ms. Linney, sadly, but talking to Laura Linney about mutant turtles is an item I can now cross off my bucket list.

So what's important to know about the new film? I've assembled some fast facts for you to help let you know where the filmmakers are taking the Turtles for their second go-round.

They Now Know What Movie They're Trying to Make

As mentioned, everyone involved we spoke to seemingly agreed that the first film was a bit messy tonally. The actors know it, the producers know it. Turns out there were at least three different versions of that film assembled, with a lot of material ultimately ending up on the cutting room floor. Writer-producer Andre Nemec (who co-wrote both films) indicated that finding the right tone for the film was one of the trickiest battles the creative team waged; the hope this time around is that everyone is on the same page and heading in the right direction. To quote Nemec, on the first film they "weren't even sure what the Turtles were going to be." And to quote Ritchson, the first film's director, Jonathan Liebesman, had a vision that was very different from the one new director Dave Green has, and all signs point to the latter having the correct one.

The Turtles Are Actually the Main Characters This Time!

It's clear one aspect of the sequel that is overwhelmingly important to the production is that the Turtles actually be the main characters, as opposed to April O'Neil. (You could say they were basically co-stars in their own movie the first time around; not the case anymore.) The actors and Nemec made it clear that the brotherhood between the Turtles and their interactions are taking a front seat in this movie. Add to that, the focus is on making TMNT2 a more family-friendly production, with irreverent comedy being especially important. (The funny elevator sequence from the first one was referenced by one of the actors as being a case where the chemistry between the Turtles was highlighted; expect more of that camaraderie to be displayed in part two.)

As writer Andre Nemec put it: "The movie leans into a very strong theme of what it means to grow up, and leaning into the notion of the teenager part of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and that time of life where you don’t really know how you feel."

The New Director is... Kinder

Another adjustment is in the director's chair. Dave Green (Earth to Echo) is at the helm - only his second feature length film - but the producers are confidant he'll bring more of a fanboy-minded flourish to the sequel; the director is all of 32-years-old and grew up loving these characters. The absence of Liebesman did not evidently bring much sadness to the four guys who play the Turtles. One exchange went like this: When asked the difference between Green's approach and Liebesman's approach, one of the guys remarked, "Kindness." Ouch. It would seem as though this main cast is much more in tune with their new captain, although no one else threw Liebesman under the bus too harshly.

Platinum Dunes producer Andrew Form offered this: "You know, Liesbesman had to start this franchise, which was hard and finding the tone of the movie was hard, and now Dave gets to come into this movie with 90% of the crew from movie one, almost everybody, everybody is returning cast wise except for a couple of new people, so he gets to walk right into this machine that is really moving along nicely."

The Plot is Still a Mystery

Even though I was on the set and spoke to the cast and producers, don't ask me what TMNT2 is about. I still don't know. Form was as cagey as one could be, and the Turtles - great guys though they are - towed the line. What was hammered home for us were notions that it's focused on the Turtles' relationships to one another and the city they live in. Not all of New York City knows about the Turtles' existence, but they are forced to reveal themselves to a handful of new people, like Linney's police chief character. The sequel picks up approximately 6-8 months after the end of the first one (this according to Form). Shredder is back (this time played by Brian Tee), once again seeking to wreak havoc on NYC with the help of mad scientist Baxter Stockman and new lackeys Bebop and Rocksteady. Naturally, there are rumors that we'll get to see Dimension X in the movie, but I honestly can neither confirm nor deny that. (Addendum: That footage in the first trailer absolutely makes it look like Dimension X is touched upon.)

I was able to see some rough footage from the film, none of which really shed much light on the particulars of the story: Tyler Perry (as Stockman) getting out of a cab near Grand Central Station; Bebop and Rocksteady (in human form) talking in a bar and being approached by Shredder; a couple of Foot Clansmen leaping over Casey Jones and April O'Neil. Looked decent, but without context there's not much to glean from what we were shown.

So yes, this was a very tight-lipped crew. That said...

The Sky Opens and The Stakes are Global

Form tipped his hand a little bit in regards to the plot when he said, "We open up the sky at the end of this movie and some crazy stuff happens. You know we don't just have a tower falling off of a building in Times Square. The stakes in this movie are global, where in the first movie I feel like they were contained to 45th and 7th and now they are fully global, and which is a much bigger story than we had in movie one." Dimension X sure is looking likely.

All of New York will be Center Stage

The streets of NYC play a bigger role in the TMNT2 universe, with more exterior sequences than the first one. Form said they were using plenty of recognizable landmarks in TMNT2, from Grand Central to Times Square to the Statue of Liberty, and that NYC is a character in this movie as much as it is in GHOSTBUSTERS (which they apparently look to as a movie that really captures the city).

Fans Have Plenty of Easter Eggs to Look Forward To

According to Andre Nemec, serious fans of TMNT should be on the lookout for easter eggs hidden throughout the film: "There are a couple of good, fun, deep canon Easter Eggs. There are things that if you are paying attention, there will be a name here or there. There will be a number on something that means something to super fans... I always make the joke because I like putting these things in, I’m like, there are eight people who will see this movie and be like, ‘Right on! I can’t believe they did that!’ But probably not more than eight people will notice some of the Easter eggs."

TigerClaw
12-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Quotes from the actors on the set
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-talking-to-the-turtles-and-laura-linney-704
TMNT2's MAIN FOCUS IS THE BOND BETWEEN BROTHERS

Meeting the four actors who play the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Noel Fisher (Michelangelo), Alan Ritchson (Raphael), Jeremy Howard (Donotello) and Pete Ploszek (Leonardo) - you genuinely get the sense they enjoy each other's company. There's nothing false about their interaction with each other, which is certainly a crucial element in making the relationships between the Turtles just as enjoyable. Indeed, the name of the game when it comes to TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS is family; everyone involved in the film that I met while on the set insisted that the Turtles and how they relate to one another is the real core of the sequel.

Fisher, who just as in the movies comes off as the little brother of the group, said: "Us four as people have a really great natural chemistry that's been there from the get-go. We really genuinely like hanging out and busting each others' balls, like brothers would. I think that's the main thing we're bring along with more of the turtles in this movie. So we got the opportunity to bring all of that energy to it."

As to how that translates to the sequel, Ritchson offered: "I think the comedy and the chemistry of the turtles was what seemed to work the best the first time, and what is the emphasis this time." Fisher had similar thoughts, adding that director Dave Green is instrumental to making this film a more lighthearted affair. "He focuses a lot on the heart of how the brothers interact, showing a lot about the love there. And we get to explore that a lot more this time. That's kind of what I look forward to."

Ploszek, too, was eager to explore the brotherhood of the Turtles. "What I’m most excited about with this movie is it’s a lot more emotionally driven amongst the brothers. You’re really going to see four brothers being brothers, and fighting and trying to make up and telling each other how they feel and I think it’s the point now where we’re all a little bit older."

It's clear that making the first film wasn't exactly easy on the guys. When asked how it felt to be back for another film, Ritchson said, "It feels good. I've got to be honest, I was a little nervous about coming back because the first run of this - the first trial run of the first film - was pretty tough. Pretty tough." Ploszek added, "I think that has informed our approach to this one though in the sense that I think we're all very aware of the movie we made last time. What worked. What didn't work. When you see what made it and what didn't make it (into the final cut), it really informs your choices as an actor. "

As for what the guys are looking forward to doing in this one that they didn't have a chance to in the last? Play with the badass new Turtle Van - or, as Andrew Form calls it, the Turtle Truck, which is much bigger than the van they had in movie one and has been outfitted by Donatello into "literally the best man cave" he's ever seen. There's also a new Turtle Lair to look forward to, what with their last one getting destroyed and all.

And what sequence should we look out for? Ritchson's suggestion: "I would say the opening, the first act. The first act is essentially a giant, amazing action sequence. The film starts out super explosive and it just doesn’t let up. We’ve actually seen some of it already cut together and it’s pretty mind blowing."

Laura Linney is the Turtles' New Frenemy

I knew beforehand that she was in it, but I still think it took actually seeing Laura Linney on the set of TMNT2 for me to actually believe it. The three-time Academy Award nominee plays Rebecca Vincent, a bureau chief of organized crime in New York City who at first opposes the wacky antics of the Turtles before coming to accept the gang as her necessary comrades in the fight against evil.

Describing her character, Linney said: "I think she’s just a skeptical New Yorker... she has some wisdom to her, she has some instinct that there’s goodness there [referring to the Turtles], so she has a heart. Through the course of the movie, without being this great portrayal of a woman who’s a police chief, she does change through the movie. You see her be hardened and stereotypical towards the beginning, and then the more time she spends with the and she sees not only what they’re capable of, but they're different personalities."

Probably not a spoiler to let you know Linney confirmed that she'll indeed be a friend to mutant turtles everywhere.

"It takes me a while to grasp the situation, to understand what these creatures are, to value their assistance and what they have to offer, and then I become an ally."

As for what drew her to the part, Linney explained it was hardly scientific. "I didn’t seek it out, it came to me and it took me a minute to sort of think about it and then I watched the first one and those turtles are just fantastic and it was filming here in the city and I now have a little boy and it all just sort of fell into place and I just thought why not?"

Why not indeed! No one's complaining.

I didn't get a chance to talk to Megan Fox (although she was on set) and hardly had a moment with Stephen Amell (who sat down with myself and the other journalists on set for all of two minutes before being pulled away forever), but the two are obviously the human protagonists in the film and forge a burgeoning romance together.

The Turtles will have a typically uneasy relationship with Casey initially before finding him to be an ally as well. They'll need all the help they can get if indeed the portal to Dimension X is opened up.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Encouraging words.

True, though? Well, we'll see, won't we?

Powder
12-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Besides the April/Casey stuff, I'm pleasantly surprised beyond my wildest (yet realistic) expectations. I really hope they're not blowing smoke, because I genuinely feel good about a lot of this, & I need that. I really, really need that. It looks & sounds quite good (for what it is). Excitement, nice to meet you. Will it be the TMNT movie I want? Nah. But I'm all for second chances. Maybe we can still be friends after all. :trazz:

Galactus
12-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Doesn't seem like the coolest of things to do to put all the blame on Liebesman.

That Blue Door script, most of the design work and so on was all done before he came aboard as director and even the decisions he made it's not like the other producers weren't complicit in it. I'm guessing he'll be a convenient scapegoat in selling this movie.

As for the focus being on the turtles, well I'll believe it when I see it. They said the exact same things last time, that the characters and story would have depth and look what we got. The strange thing is the idea of using a more grounded character as window to wacky stuff is a fine trope and to be fair the turtles did get more screen time than the Autobots in their movie but at very least the overall story was about the Transformers, TMNT '14 was about April, her career, her daddy issues, her pets and that was all on Nemec and Applebaum.

Also who wants TMNT to be complete schlock. A certain amount of stylistic and thematic darkness is necessary with this franchise.

TMNT has never worked when it's complete schlock. The 80s animated series started at least somewhat serious in the context of Saturday morning cartoons of the time but quickly jumped the shark when it became too silly and comedic.Likewise the 1990 movie is still regarded as the best and even those who like it as a guilty pleasure will cop that Secret of the Ooze is a lesser sequel certainly commercially it was a big step down which is surprising given it was only a year after the Steve Barron movie when the franchise was still at it's peak.

I get that it's ludicrous concept and in principal you can get away with near enough anything but it doesn't work in practice. There are things that come across too ludicrous or too out there. Likewise the fact that it's had it's fair share of bad versions doesn't give new versions free reign to be bad.

We just need a good sense of balance, I don't why that's so hard. The original idea of mixing light and dark was solid, it was just executed poorly. What they shouldn't do oversteer in the other direction. It seems they've taken the wrong lessons from the poor reception of the previous movie.

TigerClaw
12-10-2015, 09:51 AM
According to the set report, The Turtles are front and center this time.

TurtleTitan97
12-10-2015, 09:56 AM
I'll believe it when the reviews come in.

Until then, not buying any of it.

TigerClaw
12-10-2015, 09:58 AM
It also mentions that the sky opens up at the end of the movie, so we can expect that whole portal from Dimension X during the 3rd act of the film.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-10-2015, 09:59 AM
It also mentions that the sky opens up at the end of the movie, so we can expect that whole portal from Dimension X during the 3rd act of the film.

A bit of familiarity with the obviousness of plot building and progression would also tell us that.

Foombamaroom
12-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Okay, from what I've seen, this movie looks passable. I WANT this to be good, but I doubt it will be amazing. If it's a fun movie, then sure.

I'm really hoping they're not lying to us about the Turtles being front and center, though. Because if they aren't lying, that already makes this movie 10x better. But again, they said the focus about the first one was brotherhood, but it was about April, so I'm not gonna get too excited.

pdizzle
12-10-2015, 10:33 AM
http://collider.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-interview-stephen-amell/

Heres another take from collider on what was said above

TigerClaw
12-10-2015, 10:40 AM
http://collider.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-interview-stephen-amell/

Heres another take from collider on what was said above
Cool, hopefully more set reports are posted from the other sites soon, either way they will echo the same things the other reports have said.

This part in Collider's report is interesting.

Alan Ritchson (Raphael) said, “I got to be honest, I was a little nervous about coming back because the first run of this—the first trial run—was pretty tough.” Richtson elaborating by saying that the studio and director Jonathan Liebesman essentially shot “three different versions of the movie, for one movie,” noting that a lot of the mixing of tone and new technology were done on the spot, as opposed to being ironed-out prior.

Here is SuperHeroHype's set visit.
http://www.superherohype.com/features/360267-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-out-of-the-shadows-set-visit#/slide/1

Bry
12-10-2015, 11:11 AM

Exactly. These set reports are almost entirely interviews with the cast and the writers/producers. They are 100% commercials, and taking them at face value is incredibly naive. Remember that the same people said much of the same stuff about the last movie, and that didn't turn out anything like the way they sold it.

TurtleTitan97
12-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Exactly. These set reports are almost entirely interviews with the cast and the writers/producers. They are 100% commercials, and taking them at face value is incredibly naive. Remember that the same people said much of the same stuff about the last movie, and that didn't turn out anything like the way they sold it.

I'm calling it right now, this movie's probably gonna get at least mixed to negative reviews at best.

TigerClaw
12-10-2015, 11:16 AM
Here is IGN's set visit.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/10/tmnt-2-will-bring-the-turtles-out-of-the-shadows

plastroncafe
12-10-2015, 11:20 AM
"Doltish"?

Ugh. I hate incompetent henchmen.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-10-2015, 11:26 AM
"Doltish"?

Ugh. I hate incompetent henchmen.

In their defense (I hate having to take this position), but doltish is how Bebop and Rocksteady are traditionally displayed. Only Nick's incarnations portray them as anything close to competent.

But yeah, in most cases, incompetent henchmen is a very outdated trope.

TigerClaw
12-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Here is Slashfilm's set visit.
http://www.slashfilm.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-set-visit/

Galactus
12-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Isn't this all reminiscent of the various set visits with the last movie where all the journalists came away with hugely positive things to say. Even the guy from Latino Review who leaked the Blue Door script said the film was "in good hands".

TurtleTitan97
12-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Isn't this all reminiscent of the various set visits with the last movie where all the journalists came away with hugely positive things to say. Even the guy from Latino Review who leaked the Blue Door script said the film was "in good hands".

Yep, it is.

It's like the saying goes, "Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it".

MrTMNT2012
12-10-2015, 01:46 PM

Cause the 1990 film was critically acclaimed, right?

TurtleTitan97
12-10-2015, 01:49 PM

It's still a million times better than the 2014 film.

CyberCubed
12-10-2015, 02:16 PM
And yet Don is still wearing those awful glasses. Whose idea was it to have Don wear glasses ALL THE TIME? Its disgusting. I can't take him seriously.

I'm also baffled they still gave them all pants and they say this is more true to the characters. The noses should be chopped off as well.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-10-2015, 02:17 PM
And yet Don is still wearing those awful glasses. Whose idea was it to have Don wear glasses ALL THE TIME? Its disgusting. I can't take him seriously.

I'm also baffled they still gave them all pants and they say this is more true to the characters. The noses should be chopped off as well.

I agree 67% with you.

Bry
12-10-2015, 02:18 PM

It got better reviews than this one did. And at a time when that kind of movie wasn't anywhere near as common or respected as they are now. And critical opinion on it has significantly improved since.

The noses should be chopped off as well.

Someone's gonna tell him that you can't "chop off" nostrils, right? :P

MrTMNT2012
12-10-2015, 02:20 PM
And critical opinion on it has significantly improved since.

Any proof of this?

Also, what exactly was the kinda movie that Steve Barron made? A comic book film. Those weren't respected? Didn't Batman come out exactly 1 f#cking year before it?

I know you're misconstruing facts just to make up more bullsh!t but I really want to divulge in this rebuttal and exactly what you were trying to argue.

Leo656
12-10-2015, 09:17 PM
:lol: "Divulge the rebuttal" he says. :lol: I forgot, this is the guy who always uses big words to act smart but can never put them where they go, right? Holy sh*t, I forgot about that guy. :lol:

That's one of the better ones so far though. "Divulge the rebuttal". Snicker. Don't pull a muscle there, guy.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-10-2015, 09:28 PM
:lol: "Divulge the rebuttal" he says. :lol: I forgot, this is the guy who always uses big words to act smart but can never put them where they go, right? Holy sh*t, I forgot about that guy. :lol:

That's one of the better ones so far though. "Divulge the rebuttal". Snicker. Don't pull a muscle there, guy.

I'm just gonna sit here and divulge in the egg nog I'm drinking and the idiocy of people on the internet.

"That word! I do not think it means what you think it means!"

ADDED: I just had a heartbreaking revelation: Intelligence and Taste are Zero-Sum Games.

Bry
12-10-2015, 09:32 PM
This is the guy who had "Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)" in his signature months before the movie even came out. But yeah, sure, question my objectivity. :tlol:

There've been a ton of retrospective reviews of the 1990 movie in recent years that give it far more credit than it ever got when it was first released. Yes, Batman came out in 1989, but that was still considered an anomaly at the time. There weren't that many comic movies being regularly released back then compared to now, and only a tiny handful of them were given any legitimate critical consideration. And even those were directed/produced by known talents who critics were already familiar with, and fond of. The environments and attitudes about comic/niche movies were completely different then than they are now. And even then, the 1990 movie got a much better response than BayTurtles did.

Autbot_Benz
12-10-2015, 09:35 PM
This is the guy who had "Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)" in his signature months before the movie even came out. But yeah, sure, question my objectivity. :tlol:

There've been a ton of retrospective reviews of the 1990 movie in recent years that give it far more credit than it ever got when it was first released. Yes, Batman came out in 1989, but that was still considered an anomaly at the time. There weren't that many comic movies being regularly released back then compared to now, and only a tiny handful of them were given any legitimate critical consideration. And even those were directed/produced by known talents who critics were already familiar with, and fond of. The environments and attitudes about comic/niche movies were completely different then than they are now. And even then, the 1990 movie got a much better response than BayTurtles did.

MrTMNT2012 should watch this p9nOmTqr7S4

snake
12-10-2015, 09:37 PM
I'll be honest, this isn't looking bad at all. Hoepfully these interviews are truthful.

Bry
12-10-2015, 10:07 PM
MrTMNT2012 should watch this p9nOmTqr7S4

Thanks for sharing this. :) It covers a lot of my appreciation for the movie and gives a lot of respect to how well-made and innovative it was for its time. It's not a "perfect" movie, but it holds up remarkably well.

Autbot_Benz
12-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Thanks for sharing this. :) It covers a lot of my appreciation for the movie and gives a lot of respect to how well-made and innovative it was for its time. It's not a "perfect" movie, but it holds up remarkably well.

he did the other 2 turtle movies also.

Shark_Blade
12-11-2015, 05:05 AM
Looks like everything is shaping up to be great. Excellent. :D

TigerClaw
12-12-2015, 02:56 PM
I was reading some more set reports and Fandango has a good one.
http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-set-visit-report-our-midnight-mission-with-the-half-shelled-heroes-750195

Something is about to go down in downtown Manhattan and the Turtles have called us into action. In the dead of night, we broke into police headquarters with April O’Neil, Mikey, Raph and their new vigilante buddy Casey Jones to stop the foot clan’s latest plot. But, like any prospective half-shelled ninja crime fighter, we had to go through TMNT boot camp first.

While sitting in a lecture hall of New York Law School, which served as the location for the late-night set, Fandango’s Nick Romano got a crash course in what’s going down in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, straight from the Turtles themselves. This is a whole new ball game for the pizza-loving tween mutant warriors, and there’s a lot more at stake — not to mention a handful of new characters and villains. In order to face these new foes head on, we had to know what we were up against.

A New Emphasis on the Turtles

First Movie: The biggest struggle for everyone involved the first time around was finding the proper tone. "We’re not making The Dark Knight here," joked Ritchson, who realized it needed to be a family-friendly superhero movie. Nevertheless, the Turtles ended up being secondary characters in the first film, which the actors and producers attribute to the various attempts to work out the kinks. "The comedy and chemistry of the Turtles, I think, was what worked the best the first time and what is, sort of, the emphasis this time."

Second Movie: If TMNT was the story of April O’Neil, TMNT 2 is about the Turtles — even though the intrepid reporter carries a prominent arc across the sequel. By Howard’s calculations, the Turtles make up about two-thirds of the movie in screen time alone. "It’s a lot more emotionally driven amongst the brothers," said Pete Ploszneck (Leonardo). "You’re really going to see four brothers being brothers and fighting and trying to make up and telling each other how they feel. I think it’s at the point where we’re all a little bit older. You and I [Raphael] are essentially almost no longer teenagers and so with that comes, I think, your own identity."

The Mission

Recap: When last we saw the Turtles, they had finished grappling with Shredder atop a falling tower over Times Square. If you thought that meant the general public was now aware of the Turtles’ existence, you’d be wrong. Due to the circumstances — which are still being kept under wraps — these mutant vigilantes were able to stay under the radar.

Briefing: It’s only now in the sequel, which takes place six or eight months after the ending of the first movie, that people will see them for the first time. As some pretty wild events tear up the Big Apple, Michelangelo and Raphael are forced to reveal themselves to the police chief (played by Laura Linney) and a group of officers in order to save April (Megan Fox) and Casey (Stephen Amell) from harm’s way. "All hell breaks loose when that happens," said producer Andrew Form. This movie is all about acceptance, and society is not quick to welcome the Turtles with open arms.

Ripple Effects: While the first movie was contained roughly between 45th Street and 7th, TMNT 2 has global implications. How global? "We open up the sky at the end of this movie and some crazy stuff happens," said Form. Later on, he mentioned that the crew discussed "other dimensions," so while Form didn’t explicitly mention Dimension X, a classic alternate dimension in the TMNT multiverse. Perhaps this means we’ll also be seeing Krang in the mix.

The New Characters

Casey Jones

Profile: This is not the same Casey Jones from the comics, nor is he the same fully conceived character from the last set of live-action films. "We are meeting Casey Jones in this movie at a very different point," said actor Stephen Amell, who already has a lot of experience playing a masked vigilante. "I like it because it’s very much an origin story for my particular character. It’s certainly not the centerpiece of the movie, but, for me personally, I like finding a character in a phase of discovery." In TMNT 2, he’s the fresh eyes coming in to meet the Turtles for the first time. Casey wants to be a vigilante and the four brothers help him find that path, even though he and Raph "have their issues" at first, as Form put it.

Fun Facts

- The producers wanted to include Casey Jones in TMNT for a long time. Early drafts of the first film included him in the plot alongside April. By the time the cameras started rolling, Casey phased out and it became April’s story.

- It was only by chance that Stephen Amell could play the character. He wrapped the latest season of Arrow a week before TMNT 2 was scheduled to begin production and he had another week between wrapping this movie and returning to his other vigilante life. "If our schedule was off at all, he wouldn’t be in the movie," said Form.

Bebop and Rocksteady

Profile: Paparazzi snapped photos of Gary Anthony Williams and WWE fighter Sheamus as these beloved villains and released them to the press way earlier than the filmmakers wanted. For better or worse, the cat’s out of the bag! When we meet them on the big screen, they are working with Shredder (the newly cast Brian Tee) and his daughter Karai (Brittany Ishibashi). In a scene that was shot in a horseshoe-shaped bar called Seven B, located on the corner of Avenue B and 7th Street in Alphabet City, the two are sharpening their daggers, bragging about their battles and throwing back shots. They may be in their premutated forms now, but the producers assure us that we will see them transform into the warthog and rhino forms before the end.

Baxter Stockman

Profile: "The people who know the canon know this character," explained Form, but for those unfamiliar, Baxter Stockman is a scientist who creates robots called Mousers, designed to seek and destroy sewer rats. Since Shredder has a longstanding beef with Splinter, he enlists Stockman. It’s unknown how the film will tackle this character’s origin, but the first name that came to mind when the producers were casting him was Tyler Perry. The team flew down to Atlanta to pitch the film and character to him with a whole presentation. According to Form, "it’s just one of those things where luckily he’s in the movie."

Fun Fact

- The first time we meet Stockman, he’s emerging from a black car that pulls up beside Grand Central Station. The filmmakers were not directing traffic, so when he crosses the street, Perry’s interaction with a pushy truck is totally legit.

Rebecca Vincent

Profile: Meet the bureau chief of Organized Crime, played by the lovely and talented Laura Linney. Unprecedented things are happening in the city and people are coming to tell her about the Turtles. Because she’s a skeptical New Yorker, she thinks it’s all a bit far-fetched, but she quickly becomes a believer when she sees them breaking into her evidence storage. "It takes me a while to grasp the situation and understand what these creatures are, to value their assistance and what they have to offer," said Linney. Fortunately, she becomes the Turtles’ version of Commissioner Gordon. Though she doesn’t join in on the fighting. "There are a few [scenes] where there’s action around me," said Linney, "but I don’t get to punch anyone."

Fun Facts

- The writers originally named the character Catherine, but for some reason "Catherine Vincent" didn’t clear, hence the name "Rebecca Vincent." Form speculated there’s someone in New York with the former name.

- According to Linney, Rebecca could potentially come back for more movies. Form assured us at the time that there had been no discussions beyond TMNT 2, so for now all Linney could say was, "We’ll see what happens."

- The producers went after Linney for the role, but the actress was hesistant to join a movie of this scale. As she explained, "These sets can be difficult. They are high powered, people under a lot of pressure, they’re expensive and some of these sets are not very pleasant, and so I was a little concerned about that because I’m just at an age now where I don’t want to be around that." As it turned out, everyone she met was nice and welcoming.

The New Gadgets

Turtle Truck

Description: The vehicle we saw in the first movie has been chucked aside in favor of a faster and more furious clunker. "It is now a Turtle Truck, it is not a Turtle Van anymore," said Form. The tech-savvy Donatello tricked out a garbage truck into a massive, traveling man cave that doubles as a tanker.

When the crew filmed scenes in Buffalo, New York, the Turtle Truck accelerated to 60 miles [per hour with the ability to shoot flames out of the sides. And the best part? "There’s no CG in there at all." The interior is fully built with just about everything a teenage boy would want to bring with him on a road trip.

Hologram

Description: Donatello is always tinkering with new tech and coming up with the coolest accessories to enhance the Turtles’ missions. This time around, he took a note from Minority Report, Iron Man and Star Wars in having a massive interactive hologram that spreads out in front of him. Thought actor Jeremy Howard (Donatello) wouldn’t go into detail, he can’t lie: "It’s pretty cool."

TigerClaw
12-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Continued below.
The Lair

Description: In the first movie, Shredder came in with his army of foot-clan soldiers and blew apart the Turtles’ secret hideout. That means it’s time to relocate. As Alan Ritchson (Raphael) described their new digs, it’s more analogous to the film. "I think it’s truer to sort of what I remember as a kid, for what that’s worth, but everything as a kid seems bigger and larger than life. The scope of this, as is the Turtle Van, is exponentially bigger and more interactive than before, as is the movie itself." But if you want more of a teaser, Howard said there’s a "100-foot waterslide."

Things to Watch Out For

The Opening Scene: "The first act is essentially a giant amazing action sequence," said Ritchson. "The film starts out super explosive and it just doesn’t let up."

Easter Eggs: Director Dave Green wanted to make a love letter to the Turtles, and that involves lots and lots of Easter eggs. "There are a couple of good, fun, deep canon Easter eggs," said screenwriter Andre Nemac. "There are things that, if you are paying attention, there will be a name here or there, there will be a number on something that means something to super fans." The biggest one that you already know about is the appearance of Judith Hoag, who played April O’Neil in the previous live-action films. "It was so fun to shoot the scene with the two Aprils when they work together, and there’s a great Easter egg in that scene."

Road Trip: The Turtles are leaving the country… but they’ll be back home in time for dinner. As it turns out, it’s not really a road trip, because these guys are traveling to Brazil for a hot minute.

Water Scene: "Something we do in this movie that’s never been done with the Turtles is that they go in the water," said Form. "As we know, Manhattan is surrounded by water and there’s a lot of water, so we’ve taken advantage of that."

Etsyturtle2
12-12-2015, 03:08 PM
So I'm wondering if they will explain what happened to the van?

TigerClaw
12-12-2015, 03:09 PM
So I'm wondering if they will explain what happened to the van?
Maybe it gets destroyed? I remember seeing images from the set that had the Turtle Van from the first movie.

SS Kakarot
12-12-2015, 03:15 PM
I was reading some more set reports and Fandango has a good one.
http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-set-visit-report-our-midnight-mission-with-the-half-shelled-heroes-750195

Thanks for posting this TigerClaw, interesting read.

Etsyturtle2
12-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Maybe it gets destroyed? I remember seeing images from the set that had the Turtle Van from the first movie.

Really? Ohh, I really liked that van.

sdp
12-12-2015, 03:39 PM
This is what I wanted them to do in the sequel, take a look at what worked and go crazy with the universe, I posted many times in this section only to be flamed about how terrible the first movie was but it really wasn't, I saw a flawed movie universe that had potential to go crazy. Sure it wasn't the Mirage inspired movie we all wanted but this universe seemed like it could have fun with its universe and that's what I hoped for sequels and it's what we seem to be getting so I'm happy. Full on fan service and kick ass stuff all around. We don't expect more so just deliver that for us and we'll be happy.

CyberCubed
12-12-2015, 03:40 PM
One thing they just don't get is the Turtles are supposed to be ninja's. This whole movie is about huge explosions and the Turtles having these huge fights.

The Turtles are still too big. They're not intended to be muscle bound beasts. The filmmakers just don't get that.

Leo656
12-12-2015, 03:42 PM
I make it a point on purpose not to agree with you very often, Cubed, but when you're right you're right.

sdp
12-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Well they're still far more Ninja-esque than say the OT turtles which these are inspired from. The Hulk-like Turtles actually work for me, I wasn't a big fan when they were revealed but they worked fine during the movie. Sure they look a bit odd at times but for the most part it worked. Of course I prefer smaller turtles but I'm ok with this interpretation for this movie series. Marine Foot soldiers and transformer Shredder were far bigger issues to me.

Shark_Blade
12-12-2015, 05:49 PM
One thing they just don't get is the Turtles are supposed to be ninja's. This whole movie is about huge explosions and the Turtles having these huge fights.

The Turtles are still too big. They're not intended to be muscle bound beasts. The filmmakers just don't get that.

They can't suddenly loose all those muscle mass in the sequel, so it's a pretty good give and take. I see big improvements tbh. :D

IndigoErth
12-12-2015, 06:31 PM
Hope not. I liked it, but I always figured they didn't properly take into account that the surroundings would ruin what I assumed was an attempt to make the Turtles look big sitting in it via making it small. Even if it's cramped, they're a family of five, a second set of wheels would be an asset.

But I really want to know how they go about fueling up that new big truck that likely requires diesel. Middle of the night gas runs to some quiet station in the edge of town run by some old blind guy? :tlol:

TigerClaw
12-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Hope not. I liked it, but I always figured they didn't properly take into account that the surroundings would ruin what I assumed was an attempt to make the Turtles look big sitting in it via making it small. Even if it's cramped, they're a family of five, a second set of wheels would be an asset.

But I really want to know how they go about fueling up that new big truck that likely requires diesel. Middle of the night gas runs to some quiet station in the edge of town run by some old blind guy? :tlol:
knowing Donnie, he probably modified the engine to run on regular gas.

LeotheLateBloomer
12-13-2015, 05:06 AM
This is what I wanted them to do in the sequel, take a look at what worked and go crazy with the universe, I posted many times in this section only to be flamed about how terrible the first movie was but it really wasn't, I saw a flawed movie universe that had potential to go crazy. Sure it wasn't the Mirage inspired movie we all wanted but this universe seemed like it could have fun with its universe and that's what I hoped for sequels and it's what we seem to be getting so I'm happy. Full on fan service and kick ass stuff all around. We don't expect more so just deliver that for us and we'll be happy.

Here's the thing, though. Potential is something but if it doesn't show within the movie, it doesn't mean anything. With how the way things worked in the first one, the result shows that it's just not a very good adaptation. The turtles are way too strong to the point where hardly anyone is a threat. If you make the turtles 6 foot tall but incredibly huge, bulking turtles that can easily toss humans about and are immune to bullets, then what's the point of being a ninja? Secondly, changing the foot clan from shinobi to a terrorists group did nothing to pose a threat to the turtles. We've seen the turtles fight against soldiers with guns in other incarnations. Why did they think it was a good idea. That is a true example of not doing research of turtle lore. Learning ninjitsu from a book is the most laziest idea they threw in the movie. Not to mention it was written in japanese of which neither Splinter or the turtles have any background or experience in.

The turtles, like Batman, have gone through multiple changes and alterations to the origin story so yes, it is a different interpretation. Unfortunately, with how the film was put together; an inconsistent tone, a sloppy story, last minute add ons, questionable design choices, horrible acting, awkward camera movements, and a heavier focus on a side character than the actual titular heroes, this is an example of a different interpretation of the turtles that simply doesn't work.

Leo656
12-13-2015, 05:08 AM
You're good.

TigerClaw
12-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Screen Rant posted an interview with the cast on the set, its 5 pages long but you can read the whole thing below, the title is "A Brutally Honest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 Interview"
http://screenrant.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-cast-interview/

They don’t look like turtles. Not teenage, mutant, or ninja turtles. They are grown men draped in body stockings, faces and limbs meticulously coated in dots, with ping pong balls affixed above their heads as an eyeline. Nonetheless, the four stars of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows feel like the titular turtles the moment they open their mouths.

Alan Ritchson (Raphael), Noel Fisher (Michelangelo), Jeremy Howard (Donatello), and Pete Ploszek (Leonardo) share an affable ease, a ball-busting playfulness and an ardent love of the franchise made world famous by a 1980’s cartoon show and ’90s live-action trilogy. And they’re doing their full-bodied best to do right by fans they know felt burned by 2014’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Last June, Screen Rant sat down with this friendly foursome for a set visit while they were shooting in Manhattan’s East Village on a multi-floor location so convincingly made up to look like a police station this reporter may have stopped a “cop” for directions. Late into the night, we’d witness these guys in action, making an explosive entrance in a curious action sequence. But first, we sat down with the turtles to talk Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, what fans have to look forward to, and what the hell went wrong with that first film.

This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.

How does it feel to be back for round two?

Alan Ritchson: It feels good. I got to be honest, I was a little nervous about coming back because the first run of this–the first trial run of the first film–was pretty tough. Pretty tough.

How so?

Ritchson: Well, we shot three different versions of the movie for one. So–

Noel Fisher: Getting the tone right.

Ritchson: Getting the tone mixed with getting the technology–

Fisher: Yeah, sharp learning curve.

Ritchson: Dealing with the politics–not us so directly but seeing it–it just made for a really tough shoot.

Pete Ploszek: I think that has informed our approach to this one though in the sense that I think we’re all very aware of the movie we made last time. What worked. What didn’t work. When you see what made it and what didn’t make it (into the final cut), it really informs your choices as an actor. Even just seeing your translation of yourself to a motion-captured turtle, it’s pretty damn educational. So that’s sort of greased the machine for us this time around. It’s been a good fast start.

Jeremy Howard: A much better start.

Ploszek: Yeah.

What specifically do you think worked the first time around that you wanted to bring to the second movie?

Fisher: For me just the energy of the turtles. Us four as people have a really great natural chemistry that’s been there from the get-go. We really genuinely like hanging out and busting each others’ balls, like brothers would. I think that’s the main thing we’re bring along with more of the turtles in this movie. So we got the opportunity to bring all of that energy to it.

Ritchson: I think the comedy and the chemistry of the turtles was what seemed to work the best the first time, and what is the emphasis this time.

Ploszek: I think that was clearest in the elevator the first time.

Ritchson: (Teasing) This whole movie actually takes place in an elevator.

Ploszek: We get off on some floors, we get back on on others in different outfits.

Ritchson: If it works once! Why not?

Ploszek: But you know what I mean, the beatbox scene. I think it’s creating opportunities for more of that.

Have you adjusted to the motion-capture suits and being covered in dots?

Ploszek: By the end of the first film, it all disappeared for us, and I think for Megan.

Ritchson: So you guys understand, when we’re wearing the contraptions, part of the mechanics of that is the eye line of the actor. That’s those crazy pingpong balls that are up there (on our foreheads). It’s got to be hard for an actor. Megan is used to looking us in the eye. Then we put this on, and she cannot look us in the eye. I don’t know how they handle it. But they’ve gotten used to it.

Howard: Megan’s more used to seeing us in dots than out of dots. We’ve gone into four restaurants in at lunchtime with dots on. It’s New York. No one gives us a second glance.

Fisher: Going for coffee in our outfits is super fun.

Is Raphael the introduction to Casey Jones (like he was in the first Turtles movie franchise)?

Ritchson: (After conferring with the onset PR rep) No, I would say it’s more of an ensemble. It’s hard to describe the scene.

Fisher: It’s not really through us at all.

Ploszek: But the turtles pay homage to it in how you–

Ritchson: I would say we tip our hat to that relationship, and hopefully we’ll see that develop as something that’s more familiar to the origin story. But I would say it’s the turtles are more of an ensemble.

Howard: Raph’s not on his own when he meets Casey Jones, let’s put it that way.

Ritchson: Yeah.

TigerClaw
12-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Here is Page 2
What lessons did you learn about motion-capture performance from having finally seen the first film?

Ploszek: Pablo Hellman of ILM has been instrumental to us, really learning and understanding this technology, learning what it can do, but also learning what it can’t quite do yet, and how far it’s come. It’s learning what we have to do as actors to help animators on the digital side really understand what we’re doing, what story we’re trying to tell in terms of body language and how we use our faces.

Ritchson: That’s really well said. Because what we’re used to doing as actors is–there’s a relationship from the human eye to another human being where nuances that we’re used to seeing, we get. When we’re trying to bring the turtle to life, the animators need to see something, but I think there’s an expectation because this is an animated character that there is a different kind of life and movement. So, for me at least, my movements are more exaggerated, sort of overemphasizing anything that I would do naturally. So that if the animators need to tone it down, they can. But that idea is there, so there’s a lot more life in him. One of the notes we’ve gotten this time is that we were leaning more into a dramatic performance (in the first movie), where everything is very internalized.

Fisher: And real. Yeah.

Ritchson: Where you’re doing less but you’re filled with more. And for some reason that came across as lifeless to an animator.

Fisher: That’s something I want to follow up on about my experience too. Just learning to up it just a little bit. It also has to do with who the characters are. They’re a little over the top. They’re talking ninja turtles! So the whole thing is kind of amp it a little bit more, walking that line between realism and–

Ploszek: Theater in a way.

Fisher: Yeah, yeah exactly. It’s like you’re on stage–

Ploszek: I think too, the fact that we’re playing 6-foot plus turtles presents a different challenge than I think playing an ape that has human features, emotional features. Our faces are being stretched wider. We’re being made so much taller. So things don’t translate the way they would–I think–onto an ape, like Caesar (from “Rise of the Planet of the Apes.”) (Sheepishly) Um, not to compare myself to Andy Serkis.

Trying to toe that line, are you getting feedback from Dave Green or whoever telling you to reign it in a little more or give it a little more?

Ritchson: Pablo (the VFX head) is definitely a guy that’s always there to make sure that he (can help us). He loves the turtles, so it’s great to hear (his input), because he loves the characters so much and sees what we see in our heads. So we trust him, and we do get a lot of live feedback. It’s usually like “More.” We’re there to bring the truth of the emotion alive. As a human being, you don’t need to do a lot physically to do that. But we’re given the sense that it could use more. But also dovetailing on the fact that we made several different versions of this movie last time, tonally trying to find what this was. We’re not making Dark Knight here. It’s definitely a comedy. We all saw it and it was like, “Oh! This is a comedy.”

Ploszek: Not just a comedy, but a family comedy.

Ritchson: This is fun for the whole family, I mean two to ninety-two everyone can go enjoy this. So it kind of gives you–

Fisher: Freedom.

Ritchson: Some freedom to go for it.

When did you realize it was a family comedy?

Ritchson: When we saw (the first one finished). (The others laugh.)

Ploszek: I think it was a mystery of what survived from the first shoots, into reshoots and beyond.

Ritchson: Yeah, there’s a whole other movie (of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) on the cutting room floor. A couple.

Was the other possibility darker?

Ploszek: Yeah. (Joking) Three of us died.

Ritchson: The final image was me eating Mikey.

Fisher: He loses it. Really dug into the anger of the story.

Besides just the fact that there were these startlingly different tones, what would you say are the biggest differences between Jonathan Liebesman’s approach and Dave Green’s approach?

(There is an awkward pause, where the four look at each other. Fisher giggles nervously.)

Ritchson: Who wants to take this one?

Howard: Kindness. (The others stammer for a moment, as the reporters exchange surprised glances.)

Really? Kindness?

Ploszek: Well, I’ll put it this way Dave Green is 32. He grew up with these guys (the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). Not that Liebesman was much older, but he is from South Africa.

Ritchson: (Joking) They don’t have TV down there.

Ploszek: But with Dave, what was communicated to us early on was how much of a fan he is, and really gets it. I think he was able to watch the first movie–like we all were as an audience–and see, okay that works, that doesn’t work. I love that let’s do more of that. I connected to that or I didn’t connect to that. So, that’s where he has a leg up this time around, as anyone would coming back to a sequel.

Fisher: Again once the tone was set, I think that was a big strength for Dave Green. He focuses a lot on the heart of how the brothers interact, showing a lot about the love there. And we get to explore that a lot more this time. That’s kind of what I look forward to.

Ritchson: To be fair to Liebesman, everybody was trying to figure it out (on the first film) as we were going. How do bring this story to life with this technology with this opportunity that we have? And Liebesman had a vision that was different than the vision we’re doing today. And I think it’s to Dave’s advantage. He desperately wants to make a love letter to the turtles, and the origin story, the author and to the fans. As do we. And there’s a lot less to battle to make that happen.

Ploszek: To Liebesman’s credit, he brought us together. He had a big hand in that. So that’s where this is only possible because of him.

Fisher: (smiling) Still I don’t know why he chose Alan, his one bad choice.

Howard: (Joking) We have our guesses.

Ritchson: (Rolling with the dirty joke implication) I do whatever it takes to get the job, guys. (They all chuckle).

TigerClaw
12-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Here is Page 3
Were you fans of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles growing up? And if so, did you get to play your favorite?

Fisher: I think we were all fans.

Ritchson: Am I playing my favorite? No.

Ploszek: I think I am.

Fisher: Leo was your favorite? Leo’s no one’s favorite.

Ploszek: That’s why I’m playing him! (Laughs) I for one grew up one of five kids, four boys and a girl. And it shook out really well when we played. I grew up with a love of them.

Ritchson: Was you sister Shredder whenever you guys played?

Ploszek: No, no, no. She was Splinter. Nah, she’d put her yellow jacket on and be like, “What’re you doing?”

Ritchson: I think we all grew up with it. We’re just at that age. It’s still really funny to me to go to the zoo, and there’s like a 35-year-old dad with his five-year-old son and they’re both wearing Ninja Turtles shirts.

Fisher: Jer, are you playing your favorite?

Howard: Yeah. I can still remember: I loved him so much I had a broomstick and a purple mask. So, I guess Donny was my favorite. Yeah, so I love playing Donny, and I definitely have the computer tech link too.

Fisher: He’s our go-to guy (with tech stuff).

Ritchson: If you need anything in regards to a computer, just call him.

So Noel, is Michelangelo your favorite? And Alan you mentioned Raph wasn’t yours.

Ritchson: Yeah, my favorite was Mikey! I’m still waiting for something tragic to happen to him (gesturing to Noel Fisher).

Fisher: He keeps saying this, and it’s not even funny anymore.

Ritchson: I’m in the planning stages, all right? (They laugh).

What are some things that you guys got to do in this film that you didn’t get to do in the last film?

Fisher: Is there anything that we haven’t…

Howard: As characters? Or as guys running around New York?

Either. Both.

Ploszek: What I’m most excited about with this movie is it’s a lot more emotionally driven amongst the brothers. You’re really going to see four brothers being brothers, and fighting and trying to make up and telling each other how they feel and I think it’s the point now where we’re all a little bit older. I mean, you and I are essentially, almost, no longer teenagers, you know, and so with that comes, I think, your own identity. You’re going to see that, and see the four of us realize that we’re pretty different from one another.

Fisher: Back to that heart thing, you get to see a lot more of that and explore a lot more of that, for all the turtles. That’s the one thing I’m pretty excited about.

Well, and I would imagine not having to tell an origin story–

Fisher: It helps. (Laughs.) Yeah, yeah, it makes it easier. It’s already, the relationships are established, and I think that makes it easier to kind of throw trouble into that. ‘Cause it’s already like, you’ve already seen how these guys interact.

What are some of the new toys you guys get to play with on this one?

Ritchson: Dude. The turtle van.

Fisher: Turtle van is dope.

Ritchson: That’s gonna be something that may travel from location to location with us. Is it? Can we say that? It’s that awesome. It’s like the coolest.

Ploszek: It’s really good to use it, to put it to use.

Ritchson: It’s like the coolest thing. That’s one of the coolest set pieces I’ve ever interacted with.

Ploszek: Yeah. It’s really cool.

Howard: Donny’s got a great interactive hologram now that spreads out in front of them. It’s pretty awesome.

Like Iron Man?

Howard: Yeah.

Ploszek: Our lair was destroyed the first film, so we’ve had to relocate and we’re actually going to get to get in there. So it’s going to be soon, real soon. So we’re really excited to see how we’ve rebuilt our lives.

TigerClaw
12-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Here is Page 4
Has anyone teased it to you yet?

Ploszek: Yeah.

Fisher: We’ve seen pictures.

Ritchson: Oh, we’ve seen — It looks amazing.

What can you tease us about what you know about the lair?

Ploszek: Lot of little ravines.

Howard: Sewer ravines. But let’s not focus on that.

Ploszek: They’re ravines.

Ritchson: It’s like everything else. It’s analogous to the film in general. I think it’s truer to sort of what I remembered as a kid, for what that’s worth. But everything as a kid seems bigger, you know, larger than life. The scope of this set, as is the turtle van, is exponentially bigger, and more interactive than before. As is the movie itself.

Ploszek: I was going to say, in the film, the storyline.

Ritchson: Everything, the scope of the story, is a lot bigger this time.

Fisher: It’s Turtles 2.0, in like a really big way.

Howard: Hundred-foot waterslide, there’s your teaser.

I just want to clarify a detail. Noel, you mentioned that there are a lot more turtles this time around. Can you clarify what you mean by that?

Fisher: I mean, the story revolves a lot more around the four brothers…There’s a really great emotional arc, for how brothers interact when faced with challenges and have differences in how we are, how we view life and how we view ourselves.

Ploszek: That’s funny, I remember hearing that about this movie, is that there’s a lot of heart in the story. That was the word, that was the phrase that was thrown around, a lot of heart. And then Dave (Green) was hired (to direct) and I watched Earth to Echo. And you can start putting it together, and you get it. You get why he’s around.

Howard: The first movie was one-third turtles, this is two-thirds turtles of just screentime alone.

Ritchson: Yeah, I mean, I understand the constraints, the financial constraints that were on the first one, not knowing how this would perform, of sort of an educated structure you know as far as like how much screen time because for every second of turtle onscreen it’s–

Fisher: Is it fifty a shot?

Ritchson: A lot of money…So the first time around, it was like, we can’t — we need to build a story here for the first fifteen minutes and then we’ll see them on the roof. In the dark. (All laugh.)

Fisher: Say your line as quickly as you can: Go!

Ritchson: Yeah. (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles helmer Jonathan) Liebesman, his favorite thing was like, (affects Liebesman’s South African accent) “They’ll be in the shadows for most of this, yeah, you don’t have to photograph their face. They can’t see you. We can’t afford to see your face.” New York was the shadowiest city ever! This time, not so much. (The first film) did well (financially), so they’re taking I think a little from the pot and really doing justice to the story. So the first time, if it was April’s story, this time it’s the turtles’.

Has that informed your performance, knowing how much money they spend every time you move your mouth?

Ploszek: No.

Fisher: Not at all.

Ritchson: No. That’s their [problem].

Howard: There was a lot of frustrating issues with the first one, as a viewer, as someone, you know, being in the movie and then seeing what they edit out. I mean, there’s a weapons ceremony. You see Leo get a sword in it cut away.

There’s a whole scene there where we all get our weapons and train with them, you know, and those budgetary restraints on that film, it was very difficult to watch knowing what could’ve been fleshed out. And we all know that we’re lucky to be back. We made money, we’re all actually here viewing this movie almost like what we should have made the first time, just because in scale, in the shots that we’re seeing, I mean, there are some — there were no real artistic shots in that first movie. A lot of it was reshoots, a lot of it was time and budget. But this time, it looks beautiful. We’ve already shot some action pieces in Buffalo, I mean these car chases, mind blowing. We got the guys from Fast and Furious to come in and do it. And it looks epic. It looks like a summer blockbuster movie this time. So we’re all very excited that we got to come back and do that.

Can you talk about the villains in this movie?

Ritchson: No.

Fisher: Alan’s tried several times, he keeps being told to shut up.

Ritchson: I still think the rhyming thing…

Ploszek: Don’t ask him to rhyme words. Don’t ask him.

Fisher: Don’t ask him what it rhymes with.

Ritchson: Maybe I can rap it. Maybe I’ll rap…

What about Pig Latin? Is Pig Latin allowed?

Ploszek: (Jokingly.) Yes, do you know it?

It’s been a while. Little rusty.

Ritchson: It’s, again — the diehard fans are gonna get a great film. They’re gonna be very happy with who’s here.

Ploszek: Yeah, and I think everyone’s paying attention to how people felt about the first one, and what they want to see, and what faithful means, and what it doesn’t mean. I think there is a sort of awareness now to do right by the franchise and to–

Howard: And credibility. I mean, Laura Linney is in the movie.

Ploszek: She brings a lot of weight to this film.

TigerClaw
12-16-2015, 09:04 PM
and here's Page 5, the last one.
Who does she play?

Howard: Raph’s mom.

Ploszek: She plays… police chief, Rebecca Vincent, the bureau chief, with whom we have a, um… on-again, off-again relationship?

You’re all dating the police chief, is that how this ends?

Fisher: No! (General commotion.)

Has the design of your characters been tweaked at all, do you know?

Ritchson: Yeah, little enhancements here and there.

Ploszek: We aren’t wearing the same clothes, I guess you could put it that way. I forget exactly how much time has passed.

Howard: Leo’s tossed his loincloth.

Ploszek: I come in, they blur me from my waist down the whole movie.

Because family friendly.

Ploszek: I believe this storyline takes place eight or nine months–

Studio rep: Two years.

Ploszek: Two years. Two years?

Studio rep: We’re going on real time.

Ploszek: …Two years since the last one. So just with that comes the changes from the lair to what we’re wearing, to our gear. And merchandising, obviously. Can’t merchandise stuff you already wore the last movie.

Ritchson: It’s true.

Howard: Donny’s a lot less gear in this one, which I think some fans will be excited about. I’m excited about that too. I think he was a little prop-heavy in the first one.

Fisher: But wasn’t Pablo saying they were actually a little bit less bulky? Just like a little tiny bit in terms of our movement, he really wanted us to have… Just a little bit. We’ve done more cardio. We’ve focused more on cardio.

Cutting out pizza a little bit?

Ritchson: It’s gluten-free pizza now.

When you guys were planning on your physical performances, did you look at actual turtles at all?

Fisher: I did, I did! I don’t know that we were — I haven’t been able to put really that much into it.

Ritchson: I watched a video of this turtle doing it.

(Laughs.) We (the very professional reporters) were just talking about that! It was unrelated to the movie though.

Ritchson: I watch it all the time.

Purely for science purposes.

Fisher: It’s very creepy sounds.

Ritchson: It super is.

Let’s hear your imitation.

Ritchson: It’s actually the best.

Fisher: (Makes turtle sex noises that are dead on.) (General laughter.) (Studio rep reminds us we can’t use the audio for the interview.)

Ritchson: The problem is gonna be how to spell that sound.

How far into the shoot are you right now?

Ritchson: We’re right past the halfway point. … That flies by. It’s so much more…

Howard: Halfway, but we have like 80% of our stuff still to do. Yeah, we had a human-heavy schedule in the beginning and a turtle-heavy back end.

Just motion-wise, did you work at all with Bebop since he’s the new guy?

Ritchson: Is this some kind of… Am I getting faked?

Fisher: They’re cornering us!

Well, I mean, we’ve seen Bebop and Rocksteady. Like, those photos are out.

Ritchson: (Jokingly) No, you haven’t.

Ploszek: We haven’t worked with them yet. But I got a chance to meet them. I don’t know if you guys have.

Fisher: I haven’t, no.

Ploszek: They’re great. You see them and you get it right away.

Fisher: We’ve been secluded.

Any jealousy that they get to appear on cameras themselves?

Ritchson: (Jokingly.) Um, no.

Have you guys run by, like, ‘Well, we could just be in the background of a scene.’ You could just be like featured extras that have no lines.

Fisher: That’s something that I love about the first Turtles movie, is that some of those guys are on it. What’s the one that you always like?

Ploszek: It’s the guy that played Raf in that. Raf leaps over from the can. It’s like, what the hell was that? That’s him.

Fisher: We just run in front of the camera.

I know you can’t spoil too much, but is there one set piece or action sequence that you think is going to be the highlight of the movie?

Ploszek: The car chase.

Ritchson: I would say the opening, the first act.

Fisher: Yeah, the car chase.

Ritchson: The first act is essentially a giant, amazing action sequence. The film starts out super explosive and it just doesn’t let up. We’ve actually seen some of it already cut together and it’s pretty mind blowing.

Fisher: But then again, the final scene, we haven’t seen, we have no idea what that’s going to be, and that could be great.

Ritchson: Yeah, that’s true. Yeah, so far I think the opening act is pretty amazing.

Ploszek: Yeah, and I think the quieter moments between us four are gonna be fun and powerful, too. To see us going at it.

Howard: Yeah, you’ll see some turtles losing their tempers in this one.

Fisher: (Joking) Mikey kills all of them.

Ritchson: (One-upping) Donny has a drug addiction.

Studio rep: Don’t write that.

IndigoErth
12-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Just read through that earlier, those guys sound like they'd be fun to spend time with, too funny.

Some of it I swear... LOL
Howard: Leo’s tossed his loincloth.

Ploszek: I come in, they blur me from my waist down the whole movie.

When you guys were planning on your physical performances, did you look at actual turtles at all?

Fisher: I did, I did! I don’t know that we were — I haven’t been able to put really that much into it.

Ritchson: I watched a video of this turtle doing it.
:lol:

Saw that they do mention that two years will have past, so it does seem that TMNT 2 will exist in 2016, which makes sense since 2014 was made obvious in the last one. Would be weird if they were suddenly behind.

TigerClaw
12-16-2015, 09:06 PM
Just read through that earlier, those guys sound like they'd be fun to spend time with, too funny.

:lol:

Saw that they do mention that two years will have past, so it does seem that TMNT 2 will exist in 2016, which makes sense since 2014 was made obvious in the last one. Would be weird if they were suddenly behind.
The sequel would take place 6 to 8 months later.

IndigoErth
12-16-2015, 09:10 PM
The sequel would take place 6 to 8 months later.

?
Ploszek: I believe this storyline takes place eight or nine months–

Studio rep: Two years.

Ploszek: Two years. Two years?

Studio rep: We’re going on real time.

So... I dunno, studio rep at that time seemed to say two years.

Bry
12-16-2015, 09:10 PM
Learning ninjitsu from a book is the most laziest idea they threw in the movie. Not to mention it was written in japanese of which neither Splinter or the turtles have any background or experience in.

You made a bunch of excellent points that I totally agree with. But I have to maybe-correct one thing -- the book actually says "by Eastman & Laird":

http://40.media.tumblr.com/b7f058faef2acccf0de733a0de19918c/tumblr_nicw34lMDq1rqy25mo1_500.jpg

...which, okay, well-intentioned but misguided reference, half a point for that. I don't recall if the inside pages were written in Japanese because dear god, there's no way I'll ever watch that movie again, but the cover suggests otherwise. Which means, in-universe, that it was likely a quick cash-in book written by two Americans, and that Splinter and the Turtles' training based on that book is... incredibly suspect to say the least. The BayTurtles are "ninjas" as much as every kid who borrowed a "learn karate" guidebook from their public library in the early '90s.

(I will never stop posting that image. Never ever ever. :tgrin: )

TurtleTitan97
12-16-2015, 09:15 PM
You made a bunch of excellent points that I totally agree with. But I have to correct one thing -- the book actually says "by Eastman & Laird":

http://40.media.tumblr.com/b7f058faef2acccf0de733a0de19918c/tumblr_nicw34lMDq1rqy25mo1_500.jpg

Un-freakin'-believable.

TigerClaw
12-16-2015, 09:16 PM
?

So... I dunno, studio rep at that time seemed to say two years.
oh ok, so in 2016, that would make them 17 years old I think.

LeotheLateBloomer
12-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Which I actually didn't know of this 'til someone pointed it out in another post, today.:lol: This movie doesn't do a good job in handling references.

Bry
12-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Which I actually didn't know of this 'til someone pointed it out in another post, today.:lol: This movie doesn't do a good job in handling references.

Was that me too? I'm really proud of that picture, everybody. :lol:

I actually forever tainted my Netflix history just now by checking out that scene, and it does appear that the interior of the book is written in Japanese. But... even that doesn't make much sense based on the author credit. Unless it was two American dudes writing an American-published ninja guidebook in Japanese for... some... reason...?

Good god, this movie couldn't even get its background details to make any damn sense.

But it's actually become kind of fun finding whole new reasons to hate that terrible movie, so I'm almost thankful. ;)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-16-2015, 09:30 PM
You made a bunch of excellent points that I totally agree with. But I have to maybe-correct one thing -- the book actually says "by Eastman & Laird":

...which, okay, well-intentioned but misguided reference, half a point for that. I don't recall if the inside pages were written in Japanese because dear god, there's no way I'll ever watch that movie again, but the cover suggests otherwise. Which means, in-universe, that it was likely a quick cash-in book written by two Americans, and that Splinter and the Turtles' training based on that book is... incredibly suspect to say the least. The BayTurtles are "ninjas" as much as every kid who borrowed a "learn karate" guidebook from their public library in the early '90s.

(I will never stop posting that image. Never ever ever. :tgrin: )

Bry, the book doesn't even have words. When Splinter leafs through it, there are only PICTURES. :tlol:

Bry
12-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Bry, the book doesn't even have words. When Splinter leafs through it, there are only PICTURES. :tlol:

I'm pretty sure there was some small kanji writing around the pictures, but I can't be absolutely sure. I react to this movie like vampires do to a Christian cross, so eye contact with the screen was... very brief. ;)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-16-2015, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty sure there was some small kanji writing around the pictures, but I can't be absolutely sure. I react to this movie like vampires do to a Christian cross, so eye contact with the screen was... very brief. ;)

I've watched the movie through twice, as it seemed a safer alternative to self-harm but still indulged any self-loathing I was feeling at the time. :tlol:

There may be very small notations, but it's 95% pictures. And like, not very good pictures.

Having taken martial arts for many years, I've seen better diagrams of katas and positions in Microsoft clip art. :trolleye:

Leo656
12-16-2015, 09:40 PM
"This review reads only two words: 'Sh*t Sandwich'."

Bry
12-16-2015, 09:46 PM
I've watched the movie through twice, as it seemed a safer alternative to self-harm but still indulged any self-loathing I was feeling at the time. :tlol:

There may be very small notations, but it's 95% pictures. And like, not very good pictures.

Having taken martial arts for many years, I've seen better diagrams of katas and positions in Microsoft clip art. :trolleye:

Whoof. You're made of sterner stuff than I. :tlol:

Of all the stunningly lazy, batsh*t-crazy stupid decisions made in that movie, that one will always stand out. Whoever won the "let's find the dumbest possible reason for them to be 'ninjas'" competition in that writers' room earned their free drinks that night.

Leo656
12-16-2015, 09:51 PM
I've seen all three Karate Kid movies* a combined total of 857 times. I could kick all their asses and then put the rat in the Camel Clutch until he passes out.

*There are only three Karate Kid movies. Wikipedia lied to you.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Whoof. You're made of sterner stuff than I. :tlol:

Of all the stunningly lazy, batsh*t-crazy stupid decisions made in that movie, that one will always stand out. Whoever won the "let's find the dumbest possible reason for them to be 'ninjas'" competition in that writers' room earned their free drinks that night.

I went into my first viewing hopeful, naive, and optimistic.

I went into my second viewing extremely close to terminal alcohol poisoning. :tlol:

Xav
12-17-2015, 02:29 AM
Water Scene: "Something we do in this movie that’s never been done with the Turtles is that they go in the water," said Form. "As we know, Manhattan is surrounded by water and there’s a lot of water, so we’ve taken advantage of that."The Turtles have never gone in the water? Has this guy seen any TMNT media every?

Walkabout
12-17-2015, 02:43 AM
I just want them to hurry up and make the third one so they can reboot the series and we can all pretend these abominations never happened.

TigerClaw
12-17-2015, 06:16 AM
The Turtles have never gone in the water? Has this guy seen any TMNT media every?
We never seen the Turtles under water in the movies, in the comics and cartoons yes, but not in the movies.

LeotheLateBloomer
12-17-2015, 06:52 AM
Besides the turtles ducking for cover in the water when Super Shredder sent the dock crumbling in TMNT 2: Soto (which may not be what they were getting at), Leo did swim back to the lair for a little bit in TMNT but I guess they're referring to the live action movies.

Bry
12-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Water Scene: "Something we do in this movie that’s never been done with the Turtles is that they go in the water," said Form. "As we know, Manhattan is surrounded by water and there’s a lot of water, so we’ve taken advantage of that."

My god, he's right. The Ninja Turtles have never been seen in the water before.

Never...

http://s16.postimg.org/lkxm95u05/tmnt_water_1.jpg

...ever...

http://s16.postimg.org/xbbjqjmsl/tmnt_water_2.jpg

...ever...

http://s16.postimg.org/lh3sswoit/tmnt_water_3.jpg

...ever...

http://s16.postimg.org/tgcr1pt0l/tmnt_water_4.jpg

...ever...

http://s16.postimg.org/ueoiq9gyt/tmnt_water_5.jpg

...ever.

http://s16.postimg.org/qtsn71cf9/tmnt_water_6.jpg

Gosh, wherever do the creative geniuses at Platinum Dunes get these totally original, game-changing ideas? :trazz:

The Turtles have never gone in the water? Has this guy seen any TMNT media every?

I mean... we've all seen their first movie, right? :trazz: I think it's pretty clear they don't know, or even care to know, much about the property's history or the source material.

And I honestly wouldn't give a **** if they'd just be honest about it. But it's non-stop smoke-blowing from these people. They'll say literally anything if they can trick someone into buying a ticket. Anything to keep a job they don't seem to really care about, based on the level of effort they put into their scripts. But as long as fans and audiences keep falling for it...

Powder
12-17-2015, 01:11 PM
& let's not forget the time Mirage Leonardo went to the bottom of the east river to pull Excalibur out of a stone (or try to, anyway). :tlol:

IndigoErth
12-17-2015, 01:25 PM
With their even more-so human proportions than prior versions and their bulk weighing on them... BayTurtles would probably drown. :ohwell:

(Or at least be really incompatible with the mocap getup.)

turtlefanforever
12-17-2015, 02:22 PM
My god, he's right. The Ninja Turtles have never been seen in the water before.

Never...

http://s16.postimg.org/lkxm95u05/tmnt_water_1.jpg

...ever...

http://s16.postimg.org/xbbjqjmsl/tmnt_water_2.jpg

...ever...

http://s16.postimg.org/lh3sswoit/tmnt_water_3.jpg

...ever...

http://s16.postimg.org/tgcr1pt0l/tmnt_water_4.jpg

...ever...

http://s16.postimg.org/ueoiq9gyt/tmnt_water_5.jpg

...ever.

http://s16.postimg.org/qtsn71cf9/tmnt_water_6.jpg

Gosh, wherever do the creative geniuses at Platinum Dunes get these totally original, game-changing ideas? :trazz:

I mean... we've all seen their first movie, right? :trazz: I think it's pretty clear they don't know, or even care to know, much about the property's history or the source material.

And I honestly wouldn't give a **** if they'd just be honest about it. But it's non-stop smoke-blowing from these people. They'll say literally anything if they can trick someone into buying a ticket. Anything to keep a job they don't seem to really care about, based on the level of effort they put into their scripts. But as long as fans and audiences keep falling for it...

Thats great

TigerClaw
12-18-2015, 05:56 AM
Here's MTV's set report along with a video.
http://www.mtv.com/news/2690299/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-set-visit/

e4IOEHUmudA

According to Pete, the sequel will have those quieter moments with the Turtles.

Technogeek29
12-18-2015, 06:27 AM

e4IOEHUmudA

In a Bay movie? I'll believe it when I see it.

Etsyturtle2
12-18-2015, 06:42 AM
I've seen all three Karate Kid movies* a combined total of 857 times. I could kick all their asses and then put the rat in the Camel Clutch until he passes out.

*There are only three Karate Kid movies. Wikipedia lied to you.

Actually five.

massakre
12-18-2015, 07:07 AM
awesome interview! the chemistry is on point between the guys

graphic_content
12-18-2015, 01:18 PM

e4IOEHUmudA

FINALLY...an interview with the Turtles themselves. Is it odd to anyone else that the actor play Donnie doesnt speak much, even during interviews for the first film. And its refreshing to hear Pete finally speak. I was not a big fan of Knoxville, and I'm glad Pete is not only reprising his role, but they are going with his voice as well.

Galactus
12-18-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm glad Pete is not only reprising his role, but they are going with his voice as well.

Unless I've missed confirmation elsewhere it's still Knoxville. Collider said he and Shaloub are involved in their report on their set visit.

Leo656
12-18-2015, 08:23 PM
No, three. The first one where he learns the Crane and wins the All-Valley, the second one where they go to Okinawa, and the third one, where they basically re-did the first one with him mastering Kata instead of the Crane Technique. That's where they stopped.

I'unno how that adds up to five movies. There are only three Karate Kid movies.

You don't wanna fight me on this. I will Drum-Punch you into the Fifth Dimension.

Etsyturtle2
12-18-2015, 08:53 PM
No, three. The first one where he learns the Crane and wins the All-Valley, the second one where they go to Okinawa, and the third one, where they basically re-did the first one with him mastering Kata instead of the Crane Technique. That's where they stopped.

I'unno how that adds up to five movies. There are only three Karate Kid movies.

You don't wanna fight me on this. I will Drum-Punch you into the Fifth Dimension.

http://i.jeded.com/i/the-next-karate-kid.23766.jpg
This and the Jaden smith reboot.

Leo656
12-18-2015, 09:44 PM
I vaguely remember SOMEthing about Hillary Swank in a belly shirt, but I have no idea what that other nonsense is you're speaking of.