PDA

View Full Version : TMNT RPG Videogame - Why not?

SwiftNinjaFox
12-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Co-worker and I had the random thought yesterday... why not a TMNT action RPG?

Something along the lines of X-Men Legends or Marvel Ultimate Alliance offering up a nice meaty cast of characters to play as, a trivia area, different versions of characters in place of costumes.

Anyone else think it could work?

Leo656
12-11-2015, 12:56 AM
Yeah sure. Wouldn't be my ideal TMNT game but I've often thought about it. Whenever I play X-Men Legends I'm like, "This would be good as a TMNT game".

I'd probably prefer something like Metal Gear Rising or Arkham for a TMNT game but an action RPG like Legends would be great.

I'd even be fine with a turn-based RPG because I'm a dork for those, even though it would be a horrible fit for this particular franchise. :lol:

Harukuro
12-12-2015, 08:59 PM
I've wondered the same thing myself, so I'm glad that I'm not alone in this thought!

But seriously, most RPG games that include parties usually have four characters as the standard, so it wouldn't be too difficult to imagine all four turtles working together in that format (or to switch characters around and include some of their allies)

Personally, I think it would work best either as something like the various different Mario RPG games, or the Steven Universe RPG, where the player is proactive in ensuring that their characters get good hits in, or defends themselves, based on timing.

Sadly it probably won't happen, since licensed games developed as RPGs are rare enough, but, we can hope and dream right?

Powder
12-13-2015, 03:00 AM
Not big on RPG's outside of those that barely count (Zelda & Pokemon) but I'll play any TMNT game.

Leo656
12-13-2015, 04:07 AM
This is one of those things I can never get my head around. :lol: HOW can someone not like RPGS? :lol:

I know there's probably all kinds of good reasons, it's just that it'll never make sense to me. That's like not liking cheese. Blasphemy. :trazz:

Powder
12-13-2015, 04:31 AM
They play themselves. I like to actually do the fighting, not click a thing & watch it happen. I make exception for Pokemon but otherwise, meh.

Leo656
12-13-2015, 04:43 AM
Interesting point, but sounds more like your gripe is with turn-based RPGs, rather than stuff like X-Men Legends, Justice League Heroes, stuff like that, which are more like hack-n-slash games with RPG elements merely grafted on. Or Kingdom Hearts, stuff like that. They're still RPGs but they're much more like action games. I imagine if they ever did a TMNT RPG it would be more like X-Men Legends and less like Dragon Quest.

Powder
12-13-2015, 04:45 AM
Yeah, mostly. X-Men Legends was fun. I get get down with those kinda RPG's sometimes, sure. The mining/grinding gets on my nerves with some titles too, though.

Leo656
12-13-2015, 04:50 AM
I liked Legends, JL Heroes, and Fable because even though they were technically RPGs they really eliminated any need for grinding. They balanced it so you were really only ever at best a step ahead of the game or just barely strong enough to handle what it was throwing at you. But you never had to just go fight bad guys for an hour before finishing the next story point. :lol:

I personally don't mind grinding but I'll admit it can be very tedious. I have like a hundred RPGs, but I've probably finished like 8 of 'em, and I will admit that it's the grinding that'll knock me out of playing it. :lol: Too easy to get distracted by another game. "I have 2 hours to play a game today; I can play Kingdom Hearts and just grind since I need to before I go fight the last boss, OR I can play a faster-paced game and actually get something meaningful accomplished in that limited amount of time." I hear ya on that one.

I do really love how RPG elements have crossed over into other genres, though.

Netkeeper
12-13-2015, 05:31 AM
I'm kind of the opposite. I prefer turn-based RPGs because I find them relaxing.

Leo656
12-13-2015, 05:37 AM
I do as well. :) My wife finds them boring but I greatly enjoy the pacing and the need for strategy and planning six moves ahead, as an alternative to "just mash the X button".

They're all fine though. I like all kinds of games. I got something for whatever I'm feeling at any given moment.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
12-13-2015, 10:27 AM
The first one from 1989 is as close you can get (yet).

chewy
12-14-2015, 08:24 PM
The third game from the 2K3 series, mutant nightmare on PS2, has some x-men legends rpg elements. All 4 turtles are on the field at the same time and you unlock stats and combos as you go. It's not very balanced though. I'm sure you can get through without any problems, but the game basically hands you each turtles' 'god mode' mystic ninja armor in the last chapter. It really puts to shame any time you spent gathering their dinosaur gear (which looks awesome btw)

Ninjinister
12-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Role playing game videogame?

Cryomancer
12-15-2015, 04:29 AM
They made some kinda-JRPGish games for mobile phones.

Personally I'd like to see a TMNT game in the style of Super Robot Wars. Or maybe a Musou would work.

robb0226
02-16-2016, 07:05 PM
So, I have just recently started frequenting this site, so it's the first time I saw this topic. But as a life-long TMNT fan, me and a friend of mine have actually been making a TMNT RPG on RPG Maker for about the past 2 years. We don't have a ton of free time with work and such, but we work on it when we can. It is definitely more of a j-RPG style, I could link over to some youtube videos of what we have if that is allowed / if anybody would actually be interested. :tgrin:

DevilSpooky
02-16-2016, 09:17 PM
So, I have just recently started frequenting this site, so it's the first time I saw this topic. But as a life-long TMNT fan, me and a friend of mine have actually been making a TMNT RPG on RPG Maker for about the past 2 years. We don't have a ton of free time with work and such, but we work on it when we can. It is definitely more of a j-RPG style, I could link over to some youtube videos of what we have if that is allowed / if anybody would actually be interested. :tgrin:

I would actually if you don't mind, and yeah, other people have posted links to videos of TMNT games they're making so I think you're safe.

robb0226
02-16-2016, 10:58 PM
I would actually if you don't mind, and yeah, other people have posted links to videos of TMNT games they're making so I think you're safe.

I'm glad someone is interested :tgrin: It certainly isn't finished, but you can get a good idea of what it might end up like. Here is the youtube link to the beginning part of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8N1Izgxvpo

Since I posted this, I actually have finished most of the game, but still need a lot of art pieces and need to improve the entire battle system, but it's getting there. When it is all finished I can post a link to the game download. Would I make a post in the video game section or the fan works section?

DevilSpooky
02-17-2016, 01:38 AM
I'm glad someone is interested :tgrin: It certainly isn't finished, but you can get a good idea of what it might end up like. Here is the youtube link to the beginning part of the game:

Since I posted this, I actually have finished most of the game, but still need a lot of art pieces and need to improve the entire battle system, but it's getting there. When it is all finished I can post a link to the game download. Would I make a post in the video game section or the fan works section?

I actually enjoyed that, very earlier Final Fantasy which I love, would definitely play the whole game. I guess you can post it here, if one of the mods thinks this should go on the fan works they can move the thread there.

robb0226
02-17-2016, 06:28 AM
I actually enjoyed that, very earlier Final Fantasy which I love, would definitely play the whole game. I guess you can post it here, if one of the mods thinks this should go on the fan works they can move the thread there.
Awesome, thanks so much, I'm glad you liked it. It will probably still be a while until we finish it, I'm hoping to be done by the end of the year.

The Deadman
02-17-2016, 01:35 PM

Out of all the games from RPG Maker this looks the best. I'd definitely play this when its completed.

robb0226
02-17-2016, 02:51 PM
Out of all the games from RPG Maker this looks the best. I'd definitely play this when its completed.

Obviously it's the best, it's Turtles related! But thank you so much. I will make sure to post about it on here when it is all finished. Hopefully it will make Eastman and Laird proud.

DevilSpooky
02-17-2016, 05:58 PM
Awesome, thanks so much, I'm glad you liked it. It will probably still be a while until we finish it, I'm hoping to be done by the end of the year.

I'll be waiting for it, do your best ;)

sdp
03-09-2016, 08:59 PM
I guess both a turn based or action RPG would work for TMNT, I mean it's never been done before outside of that pre-smartphones mobile game based on 2k3's "Lost season". I'd be up for it especially since the genres that make more sense like beat em ups and fighting games have been terrible for as long as we can remember. I'm no longer a big fan of RPGs though, loved them as a kid when I had time but now I just find it annoying to grind.

Cryomancer
03-09-2016, 09:07 PM
I guess both a turn based or action RPG would work for TMNT, I mean it's never been done before outside of that pre-smartphones mobile game based on 2k3's "Lost season". I'd be up for it especially since the genres that make more sense like beat em ups and fighting games have been terrible for as long as we can remember. I'm no longer a big fan of RPGs though, loved them as a kid when I had time but now I just find it annoying to grind.

You can sorta do both at once. Look up videos of stuff like Namco X Capcom. Grid based movement that leads into (at least somewhat) action based combat sequences.

MrTrikey
03-10-2016, 12:27 PM
I would wager that the main problem facing the idea of a game like this is that TMNT, traditionally, aims mainly at a younger audience, while RPGs (barring the likes of Pokémon and so forth) tend to skew older.

But if such were to happen? It'd be the dream if the old Raven team could come back from the hells of being stuck on CoD detail and make a fun action-RPG again.