PDA

View Full Version : How would Michael Bay feel if he opened up this TMNT comics and saw this panel

CyberCubed
12-14-2015, 04:02 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/Jesterangelo/MikeyBay-1.jpg

This is from one of the Tales of the TMNT issues by Tristan Jones. How would Michael Bay feel if he saw he was mocked in a TMNT comic?

Sabacooza
12-14-2015, 04:10 PM
I doubt he'd care. He has no real respect or knowledge of the property.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
12-14-2015, 04:12 PM
the guy could careless and most likely uses comics for toilet paper

honestly if he cant handle a small jab he shouldnt be making movies

TurtleTitan97
12-14-2015, 04:13 PM
He probably doesn't even read comics, so.....

And oh yeah, this thread needs to be locked.

IndigoErth
12-14-2015, 04:14 PM
That was real? o.O I've seen it (someone here has or had it as a signature I think?) but I figured it was edited. He's probably clueless though.

DarkLightDragon
12-14-2015, 04:14 PM
I thought you copy/pasted that from Jester's signature.

And I doubt he'd care whatsoever.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2015, 04:15 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/Jesterangelo/MikeyBay-1.jpg

This is from one of the Tales of the TMNT issues by Tristan Jones. How would Michael Bay feel if he saw he was mocked in a TMNT comic?

Why do you think Michael Bay is ruining TMNT? Jackass can't take a joke, apparently. Somebody's hella thin-skinned.

CyberCubed
12-14-2015, 04:21 PM
That was real? o.O I've seen it (someone here has or had it as a signature I think?) but I figured it was edited. He's probably clueless though.

Yes its real. I don't remember what issue number it is off the top of my head, but its one of Tristan Jones "Gang War" issues from Tales of the TMNT.

Prowler
12-14-2015, 04:22 PM

And I doubt he'd care whatsoever.
Same :lol:

IndigoErth
12-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Now I love that "You are a moron and no longer my brother" line even more. :tlol:

CyberCubed
12-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Funnily enough this comic came out around 2006 or so when the Transformers movies were all the rage. Back then we had no idea Michael Bay would ever do TMNT movies next. Man back then we had no clue what horrors were in store for us in the near future.

IndigoErth
12-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Funnily enough this comic came out around 2006 or so when the Transformers movies were all the rage. Back then we had no idea Michael Bay would ever do TMNT movies next. Man back then we had no clue what horrors were in store for us in the near future.
That was my next question, when it came out. Makes it even better then that it was kind of foreseeing into the future, wow. :tlol:

Oh no, maybe Bay's films are retaliation. "I'll show you, Turtles! You're next!" :tlol:

Powder
12-14-2015, 04:42 PM

I think it's actually from around 2008-9, but your point still stands.

Xiewin
12-14-2015, 04:43 PM
He wouldn't care.

CyberCubed
12-14-2015, 04:45 PM
I think it's actually from around 2008-9, but your point still stands.

Yeah, do you know exactly what issue its from? I think it was around Tales 45-55 or somewhere around that time.

Autbot_Benz
12-14-2015, 04:45 PM
RAA1xgTTw9w

Zak The Neutrino
12-14-2015, 05:10 PM

Yeah and unfortunately we have at least one more after this one. The first set of movies went 3 so this when definitely is going to go at least 3.

pennydreadful
12-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Bay's said in the past that he doesn't care about criticism... so yeah. Don't see this phasing him at all.

IndigoErth
12-14-2015, 06:04 PM
I dunno, he did have that little fit over criticism before the first film came out; maybe he's in denial that he does care and has a limit. :trazz:

One little jab is probably nothing though. The Nick show directly threw one in (the ep with the frogs), and there's even mutual ties with companies there, but nothing said of that either.

Etsyturtle2
12-14-2015, 06:52 PM
the guy could careless and most likely uses comics for toilet paper

honestly if he cant handle a small jab he shouldnt be making movies

You mean couldnt care less. And you are probably right'

TheSkeletonMan939
12-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Bay is too rich to care.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-14-2015, 07:00 PM
I dunno, he did have that little fit over criticism before the first film came out; maybe he's in denial that he does care and has a limit. :trazz:

One little jab is probably nothing though. The Nick show directly threw one in (the ep with the frogs), and there's even mutual ties with companies there, but nothing said of that either.

Don't forget the one with the two-headed turtle in Mega-Shredder! The Mikey head on that was clearly Bay-inspired.

snake
12-14-2015, 07:07 PM
He'd laugh

CyberCubed
12-14-2015, 07:11 PM

It is from Jester's sig. He should be proud.

Sabacooza
12-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Bay is too rich to care.Stupid rich.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Stupid rich.

I see what you did there... :tshifty: :tlol:

Galactus
12-14-2015, 08:16 PM
I doubt he'd care about that particular comic book but that said the guy is very thin skinned for someone in his position.

You'd think he would be laughing all the way to the bank and that's impression he gives off but it's unconvincing, he's far to defensive on the subject of his reputation for someone who is unbothered by criticism.

He's admitted that both poor critical and fan responses to his movies used bother him but not anymore but clearly it does because he still tries. Transformers 4 was garbage but it actually tried, there was an actual character arc (it may not have been what fans wanted but it was there), he was going for a very modern approach of having too much plot and even some ever so slight social commentary. He's carved out a very successful career as making movie where you have "turn your brain off" so why would he do all this? It was him begging for respect.

It's the same deal with his relationship with the fans of the Transformers franchise. These movies make billions so why try and please an audience that hate them? Why give them voice actors from the cartoon they loved and use the iconic sound effects from the show if not to please the fans. I don't know much about that franchise but didn't he actually hire a writer familiar with the franchise for Revenge of the Fallen and pull from a popular comic story? He does care but since he doesn't have the same knowledge and unironic appreciation for Transformers but it fell flat and he hired the wrong fan and adapted the wrong story. It's the same with TMNT. There's been at least one statement attributing that a lot of the changes to what the fans wanted where ordered by Bay which sounds great but it doesn't seem he or anyone else involved really understood what fans where so angry to properly address the issues.

Xav
12-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Don't forget the one with the two-headed turtle in Mega-Shredder! The Mikey head on that was clearly Bay-inspired.What two-headed turtle?

Powder
12-14-2015, 09:28 PM
What two-headed turtle?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt2012series/images/0/00/Vlcsnap-2015-09-09-20h58m43s238.png/revision/latest?cb=20150910010953

Bry
12-14-2015, 09:32 PM
There's my cue!! :tgrin:

And to answer the thread question: he'd probably dry his tears with wads of thousand-dollar bills.

CyberCubed
12-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Michael Bay is known for 3 things:

1. Explosions. As well as explosions within the explosions

2. Megan Fox.

3. Destroying childhoods.

Its the 3 truths Michael Bay can always be known for.

GoldMutant
12-15-2015, 01:02 PM

2. Megan Fox.

Michael Bay for Power Rangers then?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Michael Bay for Power Rangers then?

I'm shocked Platinum Dunes isn't doing the Power Rangers movie, whenever it comes out...

TigerClaw
12-15-2015, 01:14 PM
I'm shocked Platinum Dunes isn't doing the Power Rangers movie, whenever it comes out...
Lionsgate along with Saban are doing the Power Rangers movie.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Lionsgate along with Saban are doing the Power Rangers movie.

Shocking. I'm honestly baffled that Bay didn't get his hooks into that 80's cartoon/toy, too.

GoldMutant
12-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Shocking. I'm honestly baffled that Bay didn't get his hooks into that 80's cartoon/toy, too.

Do you dare give him He-Man or the Thundercats? :lol:

Power Rangers is perfect for Bay, he gets to use as many explosions as possible while being as bland as possible. There you go, the two are a match made in heaven. :trazz: (Though all good PR series will suffer)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2015, 01:44 PM

Power Rangers is perfect for Bay, he gets to use as many explosions as possible while being as bland as possible. There you go, the two are a match made in heaven. :trazz: (Though all good PR series will suffer)

I don't care about any of those properties. Just TMNT for me.

TigerClaw
12-15-2015, 03:26 PM

Well, it's pretty obvious why Lionsgate managed to get the movie rights with Saban, they have huge success with young adult movies, and Power Rangers is no exception when it comes to the young adult demographic.

TurtleTitan97
12-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Well, it's pretty obvious why Lionsgate managed to get the movie rights with Saban, they have huge success with young adult movies, and Power Rangers is no exception when it comes to the young adult demographic.

You do realize he wasn't being serious, right?

Jester
12-15-2015, 03:31 PM
It is from Jester's sig. He should be proud.
Me or Bay? I'm sure the answer is "meh." on both counts.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2015, 03:32 PM

You do realize he wasn't being serious, right?

Actually I was serious. It seems like Power Rangers wouldn't do very well with the Twilight/Divergent/Hunger Games crowd. It needs the adolescent audience of Michael Bay.

GoldMutant
12-15-2015, 03:33 PM

Lionsgate though has distributed some good films too, though I'm still wary of them doing anything to the Power Rangers. At least have better success than the two films of the 90's.

And TT, yeah I was sarcastic on the Thundercats and He-Man, but I'm actually a little serious on the Power Rangers and Bay. It's the match made in heaven! :lol: In all seriousness, Bay needs to get away from childhood material; I can tolerate his first Transformers movie but he's going to plague the childhood stuff until he moves on to make original material. (start with not hiring Megan Fox)

Edit: Cy, I think they are referring to me more than you bud.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Lionsgate though has distributed some good films too, though I'm still wary of them doing anything to the Power Rangers. At least have better success than the two films of the 90's.

And TT, yeah I was sarcastic on the Thundercats and He-Man, but I'm actually a little serious on the Power Rangers and Bay. It's the match made in heaven! :lol: In all seriousness, Bay needs to get away from childhood material; I can tolerate his first Transformers movie but he's going to plague the childhood stuff until he moves on to make original material. (start with not hiring Megan Fox)

Edit: Cy, I think they are referring to me more than you bud.

Ah. Wasn't sure. That does make much more sense. :tlol:

Vicky82
12-15-2015, 03:43 PM
When Gargoyles finally gets a movie. I don't want Bay to be anywhere near it. If he does then i'll be at his front door with an axe.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2015, 03:50 PM
When Gargoyles finally gets a movie. I don't want Bay to be anywhere near it. If he does then i'll be at his front door with an axe.

FYI, for as much as I applaud your enthusiasm (and if you can provide me with his home address, I'll light a torch, grab a pitchfork, and storm the castle), if we go down this road, Mods come in and break up the party. :twink:

CyberCubed
12-16-2015, 01:15 AM
http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_720,w_540/t_mp_quality/22607e01241316c583603aac86cfc45fb714989c7a3189a228 78874427d86090-after-transformers-4-and-ninja-turtles-are-we-too-hard-on-michael-bay-jpeg-108534.jpg

Xav
12-16-2015, 01:58 AM
Shocking. I'm honestly baffled that Bay didn't get his hooks into that 80's cartoon/toy, too.Maybe it's because it's not a 80's cartoon/toy.

Prowler
12-16-2015, 02:06 AM

2. Megan Fox.

Consider yourself lucky that Pokémon wouldn't work well in live-action.

Bry
12-16-2015, 08:14 AM

Rest easy! Gargoyles is owned by Disney and, IIRC, Bay has an exclusive deal with Paramount. Disney hasn't worked with him in 15 years.

And Disney at least seems to be aiming for "actually decent-to-good movies" for their franchise/nostalgia properties, so I don't think he'd be their first call. ;)

The Boston Ninja Turtle
12-16-2015, 03:22 PM
ive always said Bay would be perfect for power rangers.....at its core its his style and the story

giant robots, explosions, weird team of awkward heroes

hell he could even still use the military as a base for the "rangers" just make it there rank

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Maybe it's because it's not a 80's cartoon/toy.

Uh, as far as I know, Power Rangers is totally an 80's cartoon/toy franchise.

Consider yourself lucky that Pokémon wouldn't work well in live-action.

Wow, that is absolutely something Bay would mine.

Although, del Toro might be pretty cool... make it a little horror-ish. I dunno.

CyberCubed
12-16-2015, 03:32 PM
Nintendo would never allow a live-action Pokemon movie in theaters. They're very protective over the property.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Nintendo would never allow a live-action Pokemon movie in theaters. They're very protective over the property.

Yeah, considering they've never done LA/CGI Mario or Link either. Not since that movie of which we shall speak no more. :tshifty:

Leo656
12-16-2015, 10:46 PM
Power Rangers didn't make it to America until 1993. You may be thinking of the far-superior Voltron animated series from the 80s.

I never really got into Power Rangers. Mostly because people would never shut up about it, and I'm like, "It reminds me a lot of Voltron, I actually liked that better," to which someone the same damn age as me but with absolutely sh*t memory would inevitably reply, "What the heck is Voltron?" As if we didn't all watch it like 5 years earlier. Christ.

Many people died needlessly, all because they had the audacity to ask me, "What's Voltron?"

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-16-2015, 10:56 PM
Power Rangers didn't make it to America until 1993. You may be thinking of the far-superior Voltron animated series from the 80s.

I never really got into Power Rangers. Mostly because people would never shut up about it, and I'm like, "It reminds me a lot of Voltron, I actually liked that better," to which someone the same damn age as me but with absolutely sh*t memory would inevitably reply, "What the heck is Voltron?" As if we didn't all watch it like 5 years earlier. Christ.

Many people died needlessly, all because they had the audacity to ask me, "What's Voltron?"

What's Voltron? :teek:

IndigoErth
12-16-2015, 10:59 PM

*nod* I always felt they ripped off Voltron a bit. Rangers... meh, too hokey and past my time. How did that steal the throne from TMNT. (Kinda wish Bay was doing their film though, the drama online might be popcorn worthy.)

Leo656
12-16-2015, 11:06 PM
What's Voltron? :teek:

"...and THOSE were his last words."

There's many, many people here I would gladly terminate in exchange for naught but a bacon sandwich, but I was hoping it would never be you. This sucks.

They'll never find you.

"What's Voltron?" he f*cking says. YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!!! :flaming::flaming::flaming:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-16-2015, 11:24 PM
"...and THOSE were his last words."

There's many, many people here I would gladly terminate in exchange for naught but a bacon sandwich, but I was hoping it would never be you. This sucks.

They'll never find you.

"What's Voltron?" he f*cking says. YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!!! :flaming::flaming::flaming:

At least I meant more to you than a bacon sandwich. That thought will cheer me to the grave. And if I must be torn limb from limb, would that it were by your bloodstained hands.

Goodbye, cruel world, world that gave Michael Bay control of the TMNT instead of the MMPR. :tsad:

Leo656
12-17-2015, 12:14 AM
...Voltron was a cartoon show about giant color-coded robots fighting aliens in outer space. It was actually like three or four different Japanese shows spliced together to form one super-awesome show, somehow. You could say it was "like Power Rangers, but before it, and not as cheesy."

...I couldn't do it. You made the face. :ohwell: But yeah watch Voltron, it's good for you.

CyberCubed
12-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Voltron is one of those Japanese anime's. I bet Otacon watched those shows since they were from the 80's when he was growing up.

Leo656
12-17-2015, 12:22 AM
Voltron is one of those Japanese anime's. I bet Otacon watched those shows since they were from the 80's when he was growing up.

"One of." Take that dismissive tone out of your voice before I knock it out of you with my ring hand.

Cryomancer
12-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Look I love Voltron too and I understand the "power rangers ripped off voltron" sentiment comes from the US fans without the whole story but for real:

Super Sentai (PR source material) started in 1975. They had giant robots by 1979 and combining ones by 1981.
Go Lion (Voltron source material) started in 1981.

The really funny trick here is that the first sentai that has a giant robot can be traced back to the Japanese Spider-Man show of all things*, so really you have Spider-Man to thank for Voltron and Power Rangers. And THAT you can trace back into Kamen Rider, Ultraman, and Gigantor, probably.

*That year's sentai was (at least supposedly) inspired by their talks with Marvel, the rangers are all based on countries, like Captain America.

Leo656
12-17-2015, 01:05 AM
No, no, plenty of us are aware that Voltron wasn't the first "Giant Colored Robots Vs. Giant Monsters" cartoon, it's just that we simply don't care much about anything pre-Voltron. :)

Cryomancer
12-17-2015, 01:16 AM
No, no, plenty of us are aware that Voltron wasn't the first "Giant Colored Robots Vs. Giant Monsters" cartoon, it's just that we simply don't care much about anything pre-Voltron. :)

I just always thought it was a dumb thing to call it a ripoff so I prefer to know the real ****.

Voltron is interesting though, since the American company actually owns the original show now, and did way more expansion to it than the original owners ever did. Voltron Force was legit decent even.

Shark_Blade
12-17-2015, 05:06 AM

2. Megan Fox.

4. Producing hundred millions box office films. :D

He sure put TMNT back on the world chart after all those declining tmnt films. :tcool: He's a blessing in disguise tbh.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-17-2015, 09:00 AM
...Voltron was a cartoon show about giant color-coded robots fighting aliens in outer space. It was actually like three or four different Japanese shows spliced together to form one super-awesome show, somehow. You could say it was "like Power Rangers, but before it, and not as cheesy."

...I couldn't do it. You made the face. :ohwell: But yeah watch Voltron, it's good for you.

I won't fail you again, master!

Bry
12-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Huh. So what was the first "giant combining robot" thing, anyway? I'm pretty sure that concept showed up in the Super Sentai series years before Voltron debuted, but the specific colours/style of the MegaZord from Zyuranger/MMPR are remarkably similar to Voltron, so that situation's a bit muddled, IMO.

On that note, anyone (kinda rightly) dismissing Power Rangers should absolutely check out Super Sentai Zyuranger if they haven't seen it before. It's crazy fun and has a ton more charm than the Americanized version. If you remember loving it when MMPR would cut to the original Japanese action scenes instead of their much more cheaply-made in-house stuff, well, the original's all like that, without trying to fit into a generic teen high-school narrative. It's... glorious.

Leo656
12-18-2015, 03:02 AM
I'unno which was the first, I just know I liked Voltron best. The DVD sets that came out like ten years ago or whatever are SO goddamn good. Since they cleaned them up and fixed a bunch of stuff they're actually far superior to the broadcast originals. I only have the first five though. I mean I know it's all Vehicle Voltron after that but I don't care, I like it. :trazz:

Considering how the whole thing was a patchwork quilt of disparate shows being stapled together to make what became "Voltron", it's really quite interesting how good the whole thing turned out. I mean it could have just been Organized Nonsense.

Plus there's that one early episode when Princess Alura loses her top in the swimming pool and all the guys are staring at her cans. :lol: Power Rangers never did THAT sh*t! :lol:

Also, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltron

Cryomancer
12-18-2015, 06:25 AM
Huh. So what was the first "giant combining robot" thing, anyway? I'm pretty sure that concept showed up in the Super Sentai series years before Voltron debuted, but the specific colours/style of the MegaZord from Zyuranger/MMPR are remarkably similar to Voltron, so that situation's a bit muddled, IMO.

On that note, anyone (kinda rightly) dismissing Power Rangers should absolutely check out Super Sentai Zyuranger if they haven't seen it before. It's crazy fun and has a ton more charm than the Americanized version. If you remember loving it when MMPR would cut to the original Japanese action scenes instead of their much more cheaply-made in-house stuff, well, the original's all like that, without trying to fit into a generic teen high-school narrative. It's... glorious.

First combining mecha is quite possibly Getter Robo in 1974, at least as far as anime goes. If there's anything that predates that it's probably from a Gerry Anderson show or a 50s scifi flick. I would have thought maybe Toho's Moguera might have been the first in 1957, but that version of the character didn't combine, it was just a big robot.

Combattler V had combining robots and a team of 5 in colorful suits in 1976.

edit: this is a neat article I found looking around for this http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=319060 I guess Ultraman beat Getter to it after all. ****, those Henshin Cyborg figures predate the Cobra manga, I guess I know where the idea for Crystal Boy probably came from now, haha.

Powder
12-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Kaiju > Mecha

Not by much, but still.

ProactiveMan
12-18-2015, 11:57 AM
The original script of Citizen Kane made reference to a giant combining robot, but it would have cost $65 to build in 1940s dollars so RKO couldn't afford it. Bear in mind, all the gold in Fort Knox was only worth $70 in those days, and they'd already spent half of that on WWII.

TMNT is cooler than MOTU
12-18-2015, 01:06 PM
He'd probably use the comic book to wipe his, then go bang 3 models on a huge pile of money.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-18-2015, 01:08 PM
I'unno which was the first, I just know I liked Voltron best. The DVD sets that came out like ten years ago or whatever are SO goddamn good. Since they cleaned them up and fixed a bunch of stuff they're actually far superior to the broadcast originals. I only have the first five though. I mean I know it's all Vehicle Voltron after that but I don't care, I like it. :trazz:

Considering how the whole thing was a patchwork quilt of disparate shows being stapled together to make what became "Voltron", it's really quite interesting how good the whole thing turned out. I mean it could have just been Organized Nonsense.

Plus there's that one early episode when Princess Alura loses her top in the swimming pool and all the guys are staring at her cans. :lol: Power Rangers never did THAT sh*t! :lol:

Also, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltron

The Aqua Fighter (Sea Team)
The Turbo Terrain Fighter (Land Team)
The Strato Fighter (Air Team)

I REMEMBER THOSE GUYS! I've wondered for years what show that was and couldn't remember!

Don't remember a Princess Alura, though, much less a swimming pool scene. :tlol:

Amaranthus
12-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Michael Bay doesn't care about what people think of his movies as long as he's making huge stacks of money with them.

Leo656
12-18-2015, 08:53 PM
The Aqua Fighter (Sea Team)
The Turbo Terrain Fighter (Land Team)
The Strato Fighter (Air Team)

I REMEMBER THOSE GUYS! I've wondered for years what show that was and couldn't remember!

Don't remember a Princess Alura, though, much less a swimming pool scene. :tlol:

Well that's because your memories are from the later, poorly-received Vehicle Voltron Force (otherwise called Voltron I, as even though it was the second version of Voltron to make it to TV it was supposed to be set in the "Near Universe", the closest Voltron to Earth.

Allura and the Lion Force were from the more-iconic, much better-known first season, who was known as "Voltron III" or "Voltron of the Far Universe", the farthest from Earth. They had a whole "Voltron II, Voltron of the Middle Universe" season planned but Vehicle Voltron kind of tanked the franchise.

neatoman
12-19-2015, 07:49 AM
The original script of Citizen Kane made reference to a giant combining robot, but it would have cost $65 to build in 1940s dollars so RKO couldn't afford it. Bear in mind, all the gold in Fort Knox was only worth $70 in those days, and they'd already spent half of that on WWII.

Charles Foster Kane, journalist, billionaire, pilot of the Megazord.

ProactiveMan
12-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Well that's because your memories are from the later, poorly-received Vehicle Voltron Force (otherwise called Voltron I, as even though it was the second version of Voltron to make it to TV it was supposed to be set in the "Near Universe", the closest Voltron to Earth.

Unless he only saw the Sven episodes. That confused the hell out of me when I was a kid.

Leo656
12-20-2015, 01:40 AM
:lol: Yeah that Sven thing was kind of confusing on account of he was supposed to be dead and they just spliced in footage of another character and pretended it was the same guy. Wacky.

I gotta make some time to watch all that stuff again, and finally get those last few DVDs. Unacceptable.

ssjup81
12-20-2015, 02:29 AM
Voltron is one of those Japanese anime's. I bet Otacon watched those shows since they were from the 80's when he was growing up.I used to watch that as a kid back then...but it was mostly out of force. My older cousin (five years older) was a big fan of the series and he was bigger than me and he had control of the remote. A dainty, tomboyish four-year-old me had no chance. :-P In general, I didn't like it, but I didn't really hate it either. I do remember liking the character that had the green...he wore glasses.Look I love Voltron too and I understand the "power rangers ripped off voltron" sentiment comes from the US fans without the whole story but for real:

Super Sentai (PR source material) started in 1975. They had giant robots by 1979 and combining ones by 1981.
Go Lion (Voltron source material) started in 1981.

The really funny trick here is that the first sentai that has a giant robot can be traced back to the Japanese Spider-Man show of all things*, so really you have Spider-Man to thank for Voltron and Power Rangers. And THAT you can trace back into Kamen Rider, Ultraman, and Gigantor, probably.

*That year's sentai was (at least supposedly) inspired by their talks with Marvel, the rangers are all based on countries, like Captain America.OMG!! Someone else who knows about that Spiderman Sentai Series! It was mind-blowing watching that. My cousin and I watched it a few years ago. Forgot how we came across it, but we were both laughing and scratching our heads.:lol:Huh. So what was the first "giant combining robot" thing, anyway? I'm pretty sure that concept showed up in the Super Sentai series years before Voltron debuted, but the specific colours/style of the MegaZord from Zyuranger/MMPR are remarkably similar to Voltron, so that situation's a bit muddled, IMO.

On that note, anyone (kinda rightly) dismissing Power Rangers should absolutely check out Super Sentai Zyuranger if they haven't seen it before. It's crazy fun and has a ton more charm than the Americanized version. If you remember loving it when MMPR would cut to the original Japanese action scenes instead of their much more cheaply-made in-house stuff, well, the original's all like that, without trying to fit into a generic teen high-school narrative. It's... glorious.I was never a big fan of Power Rangers in general, but my younger cousins were so I'd watch it with them at times. I will admit that I did like Power Rangers Turbo....but that's only because I liked Adam (Johnny Yong Bossch). He was the only reason I bothered with the show. He was just too cute!!! A teenage fangirl crush. lol

That aside, with the original, I did see some of Zyuuranger before and I was actually sorta enjoying it. I came across the episode where the Pink and Blue rangers went bad. My god! Billy and Kimberly were super tame compared to the Zyuuranger version of that ep. Billy and Kimberly from what I recall bullied Bulk and Skull. Original version, those two did things that would get most anyone arrested. They even open-fired on some folks with an automatic...or a tommy gun, I don't remember. Lovely lovely Japan...lol

Leo656
12-20-2015, 02:40 AM
I used to watch that as a kid back then...but it was mostly out of force. My older cousin (five years older) was a big fan of the series and he was bigger than me and he had control of the remote. A dainty, tomboyish four-year-old me had no chance. :-P In general, I didn't like it, but I didn't really hate it either. I do remember liking the character that had the green...he wore glasses.

Pidge? :lol: Nobody likes Pidge, c'mon. :trazz:

ssjup81
12-20-2015, 02:42 AM
Pidge? :lol: Nobody likes Pidge, c'mon. :trazz:I like my nerdy characters. :lol:

Leo656
12-20-2015, 02:47 AM
I always gravitate towards the leaders. Team Kieth! :trazz: Black Lion, GO!

Xav
12-20-2015, 02:51 AM
I bet Bay would think "see the turtles think I kick ass!".

TerranigmaFreak
12-22-2015, 11:07 PM
I don't even think Michael Bay can read.

ssjup81
12-24-2015, 09:54 PM
I don't even think Michael Bay can read.Sounds about right for him. Books and comics don't explode.:P