PDA

View Full Version : How do feel about the lighter tone?

LeotheLateBloomer
12-16-2015, 11:26 PM
A lot of us (not all of us) seem to be liking the new direction the sequel is going in. If there is one major thing that puts me off a little is that they seem to be leaning more towards a lighter tone similar to the OT. It gives me TMNT 2: Soto vibes and not in a good way (even though I love the movie). Are any of you put off by this and would've preferred the film to use a darker tone?

Shark_Blade
12-16-2015, 11:36 PM
I think the last movie has loads of light tone too. Like the post adrenaline scene - where they fell down trying to reach Raph, Mikey fart, Vern crashed the truck cause he's staring at April's behind, 99 cheese pizza, etc and still have some dark scenes like Splinter's beatdown and final battle/climax fall.

So this one seems like a continuation of that theme, which is good. :tlove:

letscook89
12-16-2015, 11:46 PM
I think the last movie has loads of light tone too. Like the post adrenaline scene - where they fell down trying to reach Raph, Mikey fart, Vern crashed the truck cause he's staring at April's behind, 99 cheese pizza, etc and still have some dark scenes like Splinter's beatdown and final battle/climax fall.

So this one seems like a continuation of that theme, which is good. :tlove:

Yep I agree, and the final trailer of the 2014 film was lighter than the very first trailer. As SharkBlade, I think we will have the same mix between dark and light tone.

Leofan26
12-16-2015, 11:48 PM
So far, really liking it. If it turns out better than the first I think it'd be better to go this way than.

Wildcat
12-17-2015, 12:10 AM
It's fine. The first one wasn't really that mature.

Leo656
12-17-2015, 12:21 AM
I honestly think you can tell better stories with this property if you take it seriously rather than wink and poke fun at how silly and stupid it is as a concept and use it as a springboard to do random excessively goofy things. "Isn't this all a ridiculous trifle of fun?" has limited appeal and I think it's unfortunate that the only kinds of stories people want to do with TMNT in mass media are hellbent on being silly.

People can take it or leave it. I feel treating the franchise like a joke everyone is in on is still making fun of it and ultimately not the right way to go.

IndigoErth
12-17-2015, 12:28 AM
I'm hoping it will still have it's more serious moments. Surely it will with battles and whatnot. If much of the lighter stuff goes along with hopefully getting more down time with the boys, that is fine by me.

slingtheory
12-17-2015, 01:41 AM
After watching the trailer again in my opinion the tone doesn't seem all that different. Just looks like they've added more jokes and more nostalgic elements. The first one didn't feel like it took itself seriously at all and this one looks like it's going to be just as silly as it was if not more which is fine if you're into that kind of thing. The only thing I don't like is all the reactions I'm seeing where people are praising how ridiculous and stupid it all looks and saying it's exactly what a tmnt movie should be. Now that right there is cutting me to the core.

sethmartin
12-17-2015, 03:20 AM
The thing is, Ninja Turtles can work in both a light tone and a serious tone. I'd rather have a lighter tone/ funny movie that stays true to the source material, than a serious flick that ignores what we love.

Leolead
12-17-2015, 04:43 AM
Well, judging from the trailer, it looks to have the same tone as the first film, I don't really see the difference.

That being said, I REALLY want to see a more serious, Mirage-esque take on Turtles in a film one day. It annoys the hell out of me when I hear people saying that TMNT should only be aimed at children. I remember when Eastman & Laird were promising a dark & gritty take on TMNT back in 2010/2011 before PD/Nickalodean/Viacom acuired the rights. Man, I really wish that movie got made.

Hopefully the next reboot.

neatoman
12-17-2015, 07:20 AM
The trailer certainly had a lighter tone than the first one for the previous movie but it's like the actual movie was that dark. In fact, it did have a pretty light tone.

samxsteal
12-17-2015, 07:22 AM
I really like the tone of this trailer. Yes it's similar to the first movie which was actually light hearted. I think more so what they areeaning though is when they were filming it was a mess because some wanted a darker movie etc etc. This one from the get go was created being a light hearted and upbeat kind of movie similar to how the first one ended up being. There is still no doubt in my mind this will still have serious moments. I really feel like they took into account all the parts that people liked about the first one and built this new movie bases on those. People loved the turtles wanted more of them, check. Peoe wanted more martial arts, check. Etc etc. This one is likely to have more heart then the last one.

Metalwolf
12-17-2015, 08:38 AM
The trailer looks alright, although Bebop's hair/mohawk looks like it's wicked together and 'plastic,' not looking anywhere near like real boar bristles should be. And it looks similar in tone to the other movie, but so far, it looks like it will be less 'annoying' then the other one.

Well, judging from the trailer, it looks to have the same tone as the first film, I don't really see the difference.

That being said, I REALLY want to see a more serious, Mirage-esque take on Turtles in a film one day. It annoys the hell out of me when I hear people saying that TMNT should only be aimed at children. I remember when Eastman & Laird were promising a dark & gritty take on TMNT back in 2010/2011 before PD/Nickalodean/Viacom acuired the rights. Man, I really wish that movie got made.

Hopefully the next reboot.I'm thinking people say 'It should only be aimed at children' because they want all of that silly OT fluff shoved in there. Plus many fans (sadly) think this franchise's future rests on the backs of toys, which is why the Nick show can get away with half-baked plots so as long as the toys sell. There is little about telling a good story, nothing about brotherhood and family, or living in a world where you are quintessentially an alien. It's why I always get annoyed when people get dewy-eyed and opine about the happiness of children whenever it concerns TMNT, because they are seeing it through their own OT-nostalgic eyes, not what other people might want to see.

Edit: I've often noticed that it's more the OT crazy folks that seem to want it 'for the children' and not so much fans of Mirage or 2k3. I know that isn't necessarily always the case, but often it is enough for me to notice.

Bry
12-17-2015, 08:52 AM
I honestly think you can tell better stories with this property if you take it seriously rather than wink and poke fun at how silly and stupid it is as a concept and use it as a springboard to do random excessively goofy things. "Isn't this all a ridiculous trifle of fun?" has limited appeal and I think it's unfortunate that the only kinds of stories people want to do with TMNT in mass media are hellbent on being silly.

People can take it or leave it. I feel treating the franchise like a joke everyone is in on is still making fun of it and ultimately not the right way to go.

Yep, this. A constant message of "look at how silly all of this is" at the expense of actual storytelling and character/world-building has very limited returns. Once people get tired of the joke there's not much left to keep them around. There's a balance between making something that takes the concept seriously (with a good story, actual themes, and fully-formed characters) but also has a sense of humour about itself. That takes a deft hand and talent, though. v:ohwell:v

Why do we think the property fell off so hard the first time? As time went on, it got to the point that most of its products were cheap cash-ins that treated it like a dumb joke, and once people got bored, into the garbage it all went. If you treat your product like it's disposable, it will be.

Metalwolf
12-17-2015, 09:04 AM
^^^^ There seems to be enough of us with this mindset that I'm wondering if we should just start a club. :lol:

Amaranthus
12-17-2015, 09:06 AM
The thing is, Ninja Turtles can work in both a light tone and a serious tone. I'd rather have a lighter tone/ funny movie that stays true to the source material, than a serious flick that ignores what we love.

I thought the source material (Mirage) was serious.

Candy Kappa
12-17-2015, 09:09 AM
The tone is the same, so. Pretty indifferent.

LeotheLateBloomer
12-17-2015, 11:52 AM
The tone for me in the last film was schizophrenic. It had no idea whether it wanted to be dark, serious, light-hearted, or energetic. It constantly bounced back and forth without any real balance. Black Nerd and both the interviews and people behind the first one noticed this.

Powder
12-17-2015, 02:05 PM
I thought the source material (Mirage) was serious.

At it's core it was, but it had plenty of fun & gags along the way. What Seth means is he'd rather have a movie that is less serious but maintains the origin & stuff.

Galactus
12-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Remember when the trailer for the 2014 movie hit and some people only familiar with the Fred Wolf series complained that it looked too "dark" and was trying to be realistic, defenders of the movie incessantly flooded boards and comment sections saying how the original comics where dark and so too was the '03 series and in 2014 no one would accept movies like the old ones and so on.

Of course citing the original comics as a precedent never worked as the movie was veering as far from the comics as they possibly could. Likewise now that people think the trailer for the sequel looks too stupid you've got the very same people saying how this is the right direction and more people know the 80s series and no one would accept a serious TMNT movie.

This is interesting to me.

LeotheLateBloomer
12-19-2015, 10:24 AM
I'd rather have a lighter tone/ funny movie that stays true to the source material, than a serious flick that ignores what we love.

You have a good point. But this also brings up another question, will they retcon the origin from the predecessor?

Galactus
12-19-2015, 11:57 AM
You have a good point. But this also brings up another question, will they retcon the origin from the predecessor?

Nah they aint going to do that.

The actors have made the point that the sequel is easier to do now that the origin is out of the way suggesting they are not adding to it.

Also if you look at one of the recent behind the scenes vids if you listen closely you can hear the scene they are shooting you can hear April explain to someone out if shot she named the turtles so it doesn't sound as if they are retconning or playing down the origin in any way.

sethmartin
12-19-2015, 02:34 PM
They'll probably just ignore the events in the last movie. They won't change the origin or anything but they also won't reference it.

Vicky82
12-19-2015, 02:42 PM
They'll probably just ignore the events in the last movie. They won't change the origin or anything but they also won't reference it.

That's what I think.

There could be a possibility they might change the origin just a little bit like maybe using the reincarnation origin from IDW.

Galactus
12-19-2015, 02:58 PM

If the scene we've seen filmed in the set videos so far makes it in they definitely are referencing it.

Xav
12-19-2015, 03:17 PM
Also if you look at one of the recent behind the scenes vids if you listen closely you can hear the scene they are shooting you can hear April explain to someone out if shot she named the turtles so it doesn't sound as if they are retconning or playing down the origin in any way.But April never actually said she named the Turtles in the original film. Are we really supposed to believe that Dr. O'Neil let his young daughter name his test subjects, and she happened to named them after Italian Renaissance artists, and the project just happened to be called Project Renaissance?

Candy Kappa
12-19-2015, 04:21 PM
I vaguely remember that she did name them, but I could be completely wrong. It's been a while since I saw the 2014 movie.

Powder
12-19-2015, 05:06 PM
If the scene we've seen filmed in the set videos so far makes it in they definitely are referencing it.

Big mistake. Ugh.

TrickOrTreater
12-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Remember when the trailer for the 2014 movie hit and some people only familiar with the Fred Wolf series complained that it looked too "dark" and was trying to be realistic, defenders of the movie incessantly flooded boards and comment sections saying how the original comics where dark and so too was the '03 series and in 2014 no one would accept movies like the old ones and so on.

Of course citing the original comics as a precedent never worked as the movie was veering as far from the comics as they possibly could. Likewise now that people think the trailer for the sequel looks too stupid you've got the very same people saying how this is the right direction and more people know the 80s series and no one would accept a serious TMNT movie.

This is interesting to me.

It is, isn't it? One of my faaavorite things.

RETTEB SNATAS
12-25-2015, 11:52 AM
I like the middle ground they've seem to achieve. The first film felt all over the place. But after this trailer and reading several interviews it seems to me at least that they really know what tone they want to have. The trailer started out serious and somewhat dark and then boom.. out comes the awesome TMNT personality. Very excited to see the whole film.

Foombamaroom
12-25-2015, 07:49 PM
I like the middle ground they've seem to achieve. The first film felt all over the place. But after this trailer and reading several interviews it seems to me at least that they really know what tone they want to have. The trailer started out serious and somewhat dark and then boom.. out comes the awesome TMNT personality. Very excited to see the whole film.

"Yeah, we know what we're doing. We know EXACTLY how much April and Casey we have to include. The answer to that question? Literally 75% of the movie."

RETTEB SNATAS
12-27-2015, 10:44 AM
"Yeah, we know what we're doing. We know EXACTLY how much April and Casey we have to include. The answer to that question? Literally 75% of the movie."

Certainly weren't in 75% of the trailer lol. They weren't the main characters in the first film. This one looks more like TURTLES film imo.

Galactus
12-30-2015, 07:01 PM

Do you really think they are going for middle ground? Sure the opening parts of the trailer make it look as if it's a semi-serious movie until the music starts and we see the turtles then everything else is pure shlock, that's the joke.

Yes they have made clear in interviews what tone they want to have and never once has anyone mentioned a mix or it being darker in parts. They've made it very clear they feel that trying to be in any way dark in the prior movie was a mistake and they are going for pure kiddie movie territory.

Certainly weren't in 75% of the trailer lol. They weren't the main characters in the first film. This one looks more like TURTLES film imo.

And how much was April present in the trailers for the previous movie. Megan Fox didn't even speak in most of them.

Practically speaking given the rout they have chosen in how to animated the characters it's out of their budget range for them to have the kind of screen time they should. The best you can hope for is that thematicaly the movie is more about the turtles and their mythology as opposed to April and her backstory.

TrickOrTreater
12-30-2015, 07:22 PM
Do you really think they are going for middle ground? Sure the opening parts of the trailer make it look as if it's a semi-serious movie until the music starts and we see the turtles then everything else is pure shlock, that's the joke.

Yes they have made clear in interviews what tone they want to have and never once has anyone mentioned a mix or it being darker in parts. They've made it very clear they feel that trying to be in any way dark in the prior movie was a mistake and they are going for pure kiddie movie territory.

And how much was April present in the trailers for the previous movie. Megan Fox didn't even speak in most of them.

Practically speaking given the rout they have chosen in how to animated the characters it's out of their budget range for them to have the kind of screen time they should. The best you can hope for is that thematicaly the movie is more about the turtles and their mythology as opposed to April and her backstory.

Yep. That's why I am DEFINITELY not holding my breath about this movie being "the Turtles' movie."

The budget alone has probably ballooned with the inclusion of way more speaking actors/more co-stars and the inclusion of mocap Bebop/Rocksteady.

We'll be "lucky" if the Turtles get half the screentime in this movie that they did in the first one.

Technogeek29
12-31-2015, 01:25 AM
To bring up a point I said previously, the CGI is to freaking expensive! They are going to use the models very sparingly. But use them in a big way so you don't realize how little they are in the movie and you can quote me on that. If I'm wrong? AWESOME! But if I'm not? Well it's not like I expected much to begin with.

sdp
12-31-2015, 09:13 AM
Do you have a source for how the CG is so expensive that it affects how long it'll be on screen? No, just people randomly speculating about what the budget out of their ass.

The first movie had a darker tone?

IndigoErth
12-31-2015, 10:48 AM
While none of us are in that studio (I think??) and most of us don't have big film careers, character models do take a lot of time (and therefor money) from concept to final product and, even reusing existing models alongside new ones, rendering the CGI parts takes a lot of time. One... frame... at... a... time... The more detail and quality there is in the characters and other computer aided elements, the longer each frame will take to render. (Hence them talking about the Turtles being put in shadow a lot last time... less visible detail, less render time and cost.)

And depending on how many frames per second (fps) they are using, you could, say, render out 30 frames (if that's the rate they were using) and you have - tah dah - one second of film time. Now make that 90 or 120 (or more) minutes of film. That part alone is going to take a while.

Now in theory I would think that a well known film/animation studio might have very powerful computers and multiple computers that could collectively knock that bad boy out in better time than small studios and individuals, but even still, it is going to take time. And if you find something that needs fixing then I guess you'll have to put in the work to correct it then wait again for that segment to render out once more.

Although if you're going to try to tackle a film like this and do it with this medium then imo you aught to come prepared and have the budget that will allow you to do what you need to be able to do for it.

Although in those articles out recently the actors were saying there were practically three different films made for the first while they were trying to find the right tone or whatnot... so it sounds like a lot of money was wasted last time. And I assume it gypped the Turtles in return. :ohwell: Hope this time they've got it figured out and better allocated. I'd gladly take fewer pricey explosions and junk in return for more time with 'the boys.'

Technogeek29
12-31-2015, 02:02 PM
Do you have a source for how the CG is so expensive that it affects how long it'll be on screen? No, just people randomly speculating about what the budget out of their ass.

The first movie had a darker tone?

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/784826.html

So No need to be an Ass

Leo656
12-31-2015, 03:29 PM
This is about to get good. People around here always HATE it when facts get in the way of the make-believe narrative in their head. :trazz: Can't wait to see what's next; simple denial for the sake of being contrary would seem to be the most likely outcome, but we'll all have to wait and see. :tgrin:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-31-2015, 04:08 PM
I'll make the popcorn...

Krutch
02-21-2016, 11:29 PM
I think the TMNT is one of the most flexible franchises out there. I mean, if you're buying into the fact of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, you're pretty much good to go for any direction they take it. We've also seen that it works very well in dark, serious stories, extreme campy silliness, and as a traveling rock show :lol:

As long as it picks a direction and sticks to it, the movie should be fine.

I felt the last movie suffered from not knowing what kind of movie it was wanted to be so threw a little bit of everything in there. This one seems to have a strong grasp of what its identity is. It's not my ideal Turtles movie by a long shot, but I'm sure I'll find it enjoyable.

Coola Yagami
02-22-2016, 01:56 PM
The first film was pretty light in tone too..... I never got the impression that it was 'dark or edgey'. Stop giving the first one so much credit. The sequel is still gonna have Megan Fox flaunt her goodies and typical Bay juvenile humor.

Powder
02-22-2016, 06:18 PM
I never got the impression that it was 'dark or edgey'.

You know a thing can be "dark & edgy" but still awful & hard to take serious, right?

There were some attempts made, certainly.

Coola Yagami
02-22-2016, 06:54 PM
You know a thing can be "dark & edgy" but still awful & hard to take serious, right?

There were some attempts made, certainly.

No.... it just wasn't dark or edgey. The closest thing we got was Splinter possibly dying and I guess the blood transfusion. And even with the blood transfusion, not a single a drop of blood was spilled in a fight between four armed turtles and a guy literally covered in blades. Everything else was fart jokes and Megan Fox bending way over.

Either way, it doesn't look like the sequel is going to 'up the ante' on silliness. It was already silly. The first one already ended with a Turtle pimped ride that fires missiles and Mikey on a rocket skateboard.

Powder
02-22-2016, 08:17 PM
Maybe not by your standards, but they were definitely going for dark & edgy with the character designs, the "I killed your daddy" plot (as well as a lot of Fichnters' dialogue in general), "Saki", & a few other little things.

Galactus
02-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Now that this thread has bounced back to the top I'd be interested in the opinion of whoever thought they were aiming for a middle ground approach now that we've seen the superbowl spot and it's now clear they are not aiming for even slightly serious.

Did this really need proving? Not that I want to sift through old interviews but more than one person involved with the previous movie in more than one interview said fully animating the cgi was expensive and one of the reasons the turtles didn't get as much screen time.

True with the bulk of the cg modelling done and knowing the tech better you can give them a bit more screen time but honestly it's still going to be an issue.

I think the TMNT is one of the most flexible franchises out there. I mean, if you're buying into the fact of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, you're pretty much good to go for any direction they take it. We've also seen that it works very well in dark, serious stories, extreme campy silliness, and as a traveling rock show :lol:

As long as it picks a direction and sticks to it, the movie should be fine.

I felt the last movie suffered from not knowing what kind of movie it was wanted to be so threw a little bit of everything in there. This one seems to have a strong grasp of what its identity is. It's not my ideal Turtles movie by a long shot, but I'm sure I'll find it enjoyable.

I disagree with this. Switching tone and tried to meld light and dark was not the wrong way to go with the last movie in fact if there's any franchise in the world best suited to this approach it's TMNT. Platinum Dunes just badly executed it. I don't think taking TMNT to Loony Tunes level of goofyness is good for the franchise and more importantly there's no real coming back from that either for this series or any other.

TMNT '14 could have been more successful than it was. Heck we're living in the age were comic book movies are the the 'in' thing and yet TMNT despite it's efforts didn't tap into that. Children and even some degree fans are more forgiving of the goofy stuff but I think if they can't pull of an semi serious take now when that's what is working then forget pitching one to the powers that be in the future, forget the general audience ever accepting it as anything else.

LeotheLateBloomer
02-23-2016, 09:13 AM
"Wet-Willy Time" or splatting onto a plane, your choice.

slingtheory
02-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Um wet willy time. Rather have the turtles be slightly immature than invulnerable cartoon characters but that's just me

Technogeek29
02-23-2016, 11:43 AM
Hmm Turtles show a brief moment of immaturity as opposed to nonsensical physics like previous movie?

snake
02-23-2016, 11:45 AM
I don't care since it's a movie directed at 8 year olds.

TrickOrTreater
02-23-2016, 12:53 PM
"Wet-Willy Time" or splatting onto a plane, your choice.

Wet Willy Time, every time.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
02-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Wet Willy Time, every time.

"Wet willy time" also fits into the idea and logic of them being teens....airplane splat just ignores.... well a lot

Coola Yagami
02-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Maybe not by your standards, but they were definitely going for dark & edgy with the character designs, the "I killed your daddy" plot (as well as a lot of Fichnters' dialogue in general), "Saki", & a few other little things.

Ton of movies, even silly ones, go with the 'I killed your daddy/mommy/whoever' plot. Big deal. That's Batman's whole deal and he's been in silly movies (sadly). Fitchner's diaogue is supervillain sillyness. Hardly to able to be taken seriously. Stupid rich. Drain them of all their blood... even if they die? It's all cheese. And Saki? What about Saki? Him quoting the classic 80's Shredder's line?

It's not much darker than any other film that tries to be dark but fails. Again, a fight against a dude that is literally covered in knives and noone got to much as a papercut? Even the 90's TMNT film, as kiddy-fied as it was, implies that Leo cut Shredder across the arm.

Powder
02-23-2016, 11:31 PM
"Tries to be dark but fails" is still 'tries to be dark', that's exactly my point, hombre. :trazz:

LeotheLateBloomer
02-25-2016, 08:55 AM
TMNT '14 could have been more successful than it was. Heck we're living in the age were comic book movies are the the 'in' thing and yet TMNT despite it's efforts didn't tap into that. Children and even some degree fans are more forgiving of the goofy stuff but I think if they can't pull of an semi serious take now when that's what is working then forget pitching one to the powers that be in the future, forget the general audience ever accepting it as anything else.

What baffles me more is that they think this is okay and yet TMNT 2 and 3 are considered bad.

jenna
03-03-2016, 02:10 PM
I've always found Turtles to be at its strongest when it blends its tragedy, grit and reflective moments with light, innocent humour. It allows for good storytelling and interesting characters, as well as being enjoyable to watch. The Steve Barron film got the balance just right IMO - there were great laugh moments, but they weren't at anyone's expense, it never felt they were trying "too hard" to be funny and it didn't detract from the story, which was well-plotted and intriguing. Nick does achieves the balance pretty well too, to varying degrees depending on the episode and so did 2k3. 2k7 leaned too heavily towards seriousness, without the censorship licence to properly pull it off, and much of the humour fell a little flat. On the flip side, the humour in SOTO and PD1 feels "forced". And this trailer... well, it doesn't seem like it's anything more than parody and cartoonish slapstick. It looks to me to be the modern age OT, with even Nick showing more maturity. Will of course wait until I've seen it to judge, but I'm not anticipating that it will be enjoyable for anyone over the age of 8.

So, in summary, how do I feel about the lighter tone? Not impressed so far.