PDA

View Full Version : TMNT #53 Preview & Discussion

ChosenOne
12-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Preview here (http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-preview-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-53/1100-154533/)! With one more page than the one we'd seen before!

Safe to say street cats don't change their spots...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Really REALLY excited for this.

I'm honestly as excited for the Mutanimals arc and the Technodrome/Leatherhead arcs as I was for "Vengeance" and "Attack on Technodrome."

spookycookies
12-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Awesome, I'm hoping that some of the newer mutanimals are given a bit of time to shine here.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Awesome, I'm hoping that some of the newer mutanimals are given a bit of time to shine here.

I feel your sentiment, but I doubt it.

Considering this is a two-part story, featuring a conflict between Hun, Slash, Hob, and Mikey... I don't see Sally or Ray getting much time to shine.

spookycookies
12-18-2015, 12:31 PM
I feel your sentiment, but I doubt it.

Considering this is a two-part story, featuring a conflict between Hun, Slash, Hob, and Mikey... I don't see Sally or Ray getting much time to shine.

You are most likely right in this, its a shame though that they have to ride on the back of the bus with Bludgeon who we just have to assume was created the same way they were but then acquired by the foot.

Sometimes I swear I wish we had a wider view into this universe than just 1 or 2 books per month. I don't want less characters just deeper characters y'know? Maybe let Paul or Erik have a monthly TMNT book. I'm sure as long as Bobby edits as amazingly as he has been the narrative won't be tangled up.

I mean how many transformer books come out each month? I honestly have no clue.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-18-2015, 12:35 PM
You are most likely right in this, its a shame though that they have to ride on the back of the bus with Bludgeon who we just have to assume was created the same way they were but then acquired by the foot.

Sometimes I swear I wish we had a wider view into this universe than just 1 or 2 books per month. I don't want less characters just deeper characters y'know? Maybe let Paul or Erik have a monthly TMNT book. I'm sure as long as Bobby edits as amazingly as he has been the narrative won't be tangled up.

I mean how many transformer books come out each month? I honestly have no clue.

I dunno, I feel like Bludgeon received quite a bit of characterization in "Vengeance"; I now feel he's as fleshed out as Koya: fiercely loyal to Koya and considers her his sister, more willing to protect her than continue the fight against the Turtles, and felt quite a bit of guilt at abandoning Saki.

I feel like, even though IDW doesn't always give us fleshed-out characters right off the bat, the more time we spend with them, the deeper those characters go.

I mean, look at the likes of Old Hob, Slash, Lindsey, Kitsune, and Alopex! It takes awhile sometimes, but IDW always comes through.

ChosenOne
12-18-2015, 12:44 PM
In addition to some more panel time for Koya and Bludgeon, I'd also like to know what they were doing in #51 and #52, particularly during the attack on the Foot HQ. Their perspective on Splinter's leadership, as well as their new role in the clan, should be quite interesting.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-18-2015, 12:52 PM
In addition to some more panel time for Koya and Bludgeon, I'd also like to know what they were doing in #51 and #52, particularly during the attack on the Foot HQ. Their perspective on Splinter's leadership, as well as their new role in the clan, should be quite interesting.

Absolutely agreed. As best as we can tell, Koya and Bludgeon are still in the Clan (as opposed to B&R)... really hankering to know what all four of those hench mutants have been up to!

old_hob88
12-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Really REALLY excited for this.

I'm honestly as excited for the Mutanimals arc and the Technodrome/Leatherhead arcs as I was for "Vengeance" and "Attack on Technodrome."

I completely agree. It's a fresh new world for this book after #50 and while I enjoyed this last arc. I'm looking forward to 53-55 and the lh arc a lot

Bobby Curnow
12-18-2015, 02:23 PM
I think we thought it was more clearly implied than it actually was, but: Koya and Bludgeon went with Karai to Japan.

If things in 2016 go according to plan, we'll have something that will provide an excellent opportunity to develop supporting characters more, as well as main characters. We're eager to dive deeper into everyone too.

Utrommaniac
12-18-2015, 02:24 PM
"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have some worm cake with my friends"

I'm just gonna...stow that in my memory bank of things to quote...

MikeandRaph87
12-18-2015, 02:33 PM
I think we thought it was more clearly implied than it actually was, but: Koya and Bludgeon went with Karai to Japan.

If things in 2016 go according to plan, we'll have something that will provide an excellent opportunity to develop supporting characters more, as well as main characters. We're eager to dive deeper into everyone too.

I did not catch Bludgeon and Kota left for Japan with Karai. I assumed they were in the second team of Foot that Splinter would send out. I did not realize they wre placed on the shrlf with Karai for the time being.

I believe the answer to that riddle is a series of oneshots on different characters the second half of the year.

ChosenOne
12-18-2015, 02:38 PM
Wow... I don't expect anything good to come out of those three hanging around Japan unsupervised. Keep your enemies close and all.

MikeandRaph87
12-18-2015, 02:43 PM
Wow... I don't expect anything good to come out of those three hanging around Japan unsupervised. Keep your enemies close and all.

I wanted to see an arc abroad and that is the perfect reason to do so.

ChosenOne
12-18-2015, 02:46 PM
I wanted to see an arc abroad and that is the perfect reason to do so.

Okay, that's one good thing then. :D

Utrommaniac
12-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Considering that Bludgeon is blind and Koya lost most of her wing feathers (and probably still can't fly, even if her broken wing has healed), I'm not sure how much they can do.

ChosenOne
12-18-2015, 03:21 PM
Considering that Bludgeon is blind and Koya lost most of her wing feathers (and probably still can't fly, even if her broken wing has healed), I'm not sure how much they can do.

I didn't take his blindness to be permanent, more like a temporary effect of the strobe that rendered him useless in the Gauntlet. As for Koya, her wing feathers will grow back eventually. Karai is cooperative for now, but for all we know she could be persuaded by someone else in Japan to turn against Splinter, with Koya and Bludgeon as her muscle, or enact some other scheme. We have no idea where the story is going, and that feels awesome.

Utrommaniac
12-18-2015, 03:26 PM
I didn't take his blindness to be permanent, more like a temporary effect of the strobe that rendered him useless in the Gauntlet. As for Koya, her wing feathers will grow back eventually. Karai is cooperative for now, but for all we know she could be persuaded by someone else in Japan to turn against Splinter, with Koya and Bludgeon as her muscle, or enact some other scheme. We have no idea where the story is going, and that feels awesome.

From the way it was set up, it might stick around for a little while.
For Koya to lose so many fathers (almost to the "arm"), and for one of her bones to break (the type of break unknown), at her size, might take quite a long while to heal.

For sure, even if both afflictions were temporary, they might still want revenge for what was done to them. But I highly doubt they would be one-off. It would be bad writing to blind a character for one issue then have it come back in a later one.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-18-2015, 03:44 PM

Did Karai take them with her? I need to go back and read "Vengeance" again. :tgrin:

From the way it was set up, it might stick around for a little while.
For Koya to lose so many fathers (almost to the "arm"), and for one of her bones to break (the type of break unknown), at her size, might take quite a long while to heal.

For sure, even if both afflictions were temporary, they might still want revenge for what was done to them. But I highly doubt they would be one-off. It would be bad writing to blind a character for one issue then have it come back in a later one.

Yeah, I didn't read Bludgeon's blindness as permanent either. But Koya is probably going to be grounded for months.

It is indeed quite awesome!

Harukuro
12-18-2015, 06:48 PM

Tbh, it was rather vague since Koya and Bludgeon were both shown bowing to Splinter in #51, so I, and presumably most people, assumed they were still in NYC.

That being said, I am always down for more character development so I am excited to see what's in store for 2016. :tgrin:

Poor Mikey though, I don't envy him right now since he seems to be extremely conflicted about how to view his family, and that is very a good mental space to be in. Maybe he's more willing to spend time with his brothers than he is with Splinter? I guess I'll have to wait a few more days to find out.

corvus
12-18-2015, 07:34 PM
We really need a mutanimals ongoing and/or a second tmnt title.

ChosenOne
12-18-2015, 08:26 PM

Right now, I could do with a mini centered around Karai, Koya and Bludgeon's stay in Japan. I'm sure we'll learn more about it eventually but firsthand is always the best way.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Right now, I could do with a mini centered around Karai, Koya and Bludgeon's stay in Japan. I'm sure we'll learn more about it eventually but firsthand is always the best way.

That would be so badass, and so new and different than anything TMNT has ever done before. :teek:

I really hope Bobby and Tom have already thought of this... :tcool:

MikeandRaph87
12-18-2015, 09:08 PM
That would be so badass, and so new and different than anything TMNT has ever done before. :teek:

I really hope Bobby and Tom have already thought of this... :tcool:

Why not have the showdown with the Panthron bring the Turtles to Japan and Splinter try to cull the Japanese branch only for it to culminate in Shredder's resurrection to and both The Pantheon plot and the Splinter as the Foot Clan Master come to an end with Sami back? That would be an arc of four to five issues where the turtkes were abroad for an epic storyline.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-18-2015, 09:34 PM
Why not have the showdown with the Panthron bring the Turtles to Japan and Splinter try to cull the Japanese branch only for it to culminate in Shredder's resurrection to and both The Pantheon plot and the Splinter as the Foot Clan Master come to an end with Sami back? That would be an arc of four to five issues where the turtkes were abroad for an epic storyline.

I'd be totally cool with that. :tcool:

ChosenOne
12-18-2015, 09:47 PM

Yes, please! The Pantheon arc will probably wrap sometime around issue 100, so it needs to be big. Like Shredder's resurrection big. I like it.

Joey Kamikaze
12-19-2015, 02:10 AM
Re: Karai, she's not exactly noble, but she has done her best to be her perception of honorable throughout the series. Long term, I see her more as a self-interested party in the story like Hob rather than a straight-up antagonist like Shredder or Null.

I love how the Mutanimals have been integrated in this series, especially since it still feels like they could go a number of directions with it. And Hob makes this iteration of the mythos so unique and it's crazy to think he didn't exist for most of TMNT history... he's like TMNT's Harley Quinn showing up in TAS. I am really curious what they have in mind for the next couple years of stories now that the Shredder plot is done for a while.

Just speculation, but I could see this next year being a good time to get an IDW Tales of the TMNT monthly going, if they ever wanted a good time to do it. The Donatello story and #50 gave this book a lot of press. It's also consistently one of IDW's top sellers (#1 some months) and we're at a point in the narrative where you could fit in a lot of side stories. No idea if that's gonna ever be on the table, but if it was going to happen, I'd expect it sooner than later.

neatoman
12-19-2015, 06:08 AM

Why do we "need" it?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-19-2015, 10:15 AM
Why do we "need" it?

Because the Mutanimals have been an integral part of this IDW TMNT series since Issue #1; we just didn't know that's what we were building towards.

And now that the Mutanimals has their own roster, their own tech help, and their own nemesis and evil organization to fight against, they need the extra pages to expand their own story.

THAT'S why.

Re: Karai, she's not exactly noble, but she has done her best to be her perception of honorable throughout the series. Long term, I see her more as a self-interested party in the story like Hob rather than a straight-up antagonist like Shredder or Null.

I love how the Mutanimals have been integrated in this series, especially since it still feels like they could go a number of directions with it. And Hob makes this iteration of the mythos so unique and it's crazy to think he didn't exist for most of TMNT history... he's like TMNT's Harley Quinn showing up in TAS. I am really curious what they have in mind for the next couple years of stories now that the Shredder plot is done for a while.

Just speculation, but I could see this next year being a good time to get an IDW Tales of the TMNT monthly going, if they ever wanted a good time to do it. The Donatello story and #50 gave this book a lot of press. It's also consistently one of IDW's top sellers (#1 some months) and we're at a point in the narrative where you could fit in a lot of side stories. No idea if that's gonna ever be on the table, but if it was going to happen, I'd expect it sooner than later.

That'd be awesome. And yeah, Karai's not straight-up antagonist, more antihero/ally like Hob. Not a good person, and not reliable, but if the chips are down, you might can count on them to help you out against mutual enemies.

Wow, I just realized... we're finally getting as close as we've ever gotten to a Mirage-style Karai.

Yes, please! The Pantheon arc will probably wrap sometime around issue 100, so it needs to be big. Like Shredder's resurrection big. I like it.

Me gusta!

TLP
12-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Out of curiosity, have any more Fast Forward characters shown up yet?

MikeandRaph87
12-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Only Darius Dunn and the Street Phantoms lead by Jammerhead thus far.

Looking forward to see how this develops.

ProphetofGanja
12-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Only Darius Dunn and the Street Phantoms lead by Jammerhead thus far.

Looking forward to see how this develops.

are there any "essential reading" type story arcs for either of these entities? I want to familiarize myself with them so I can knowledgeably compare their original incarnations to IDW's

Powder
12-21-2015, 08:14 PM
They're from TMNT Fast Forward, one of the 4kids cartoon's final seasons in which the turtles are sent far into the future (in the care of Casey/April's great great grandson, I think?). So you'd have to watch a few episodes of that, though I dunno if you'd want to. I like it, but a lot of folks don't.

ToTheNines
12-21-2015, 08:24 PM
They are in the very first episode of FF, so that's worth watching at the very least.

MikeandRaph87
12-21-2015, 09:30 PM
are there any "essential reading" type story arcs for either of these entities? I want to familiarize myself with them so I can knowledgeably compare their original incarnations to IDW's

These are the episodes you would want to watch to see rhe two characters IDW pulled from the 6th season of Ninja Turtles (2003).
1. Future Shellshock
2.Obsolete
5. Playtime's Over
10. Invasion of the Bodyjacker
17. Enter the Jammerhead
19. The Fall of Darius Dunn
20. Turtle-xtinction

You can catch all seven of them on Youtube.

bushido
12-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Already posted or not ?
http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-14/dp/1631406124/ref=sr_1_15?s=english-books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450821408&sr=1-15&keywords=teenage+mutant+ninja+turtles

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Already posted or not ?
http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-14/dp/1631406124/ref=sr_1_15?s=english-books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450821408&sr=1-15&keywords=teenage+mutant+ninja+turtles

Oh SWEET! PREORDER that sonuvabiscuit NOW!!! :tgrin:

MikeandRaph87
12-22-2015, 11:31 PM
So is the devastating new foe Darkwater( Alex Wi ter and perhaps Agent Bishop) or Darius Dunn and his Street Phantoms lead by Jammerhead or both? It is singular so it makes me wonder.

ChosenOne
12-23-2015, 08:26 AM
'Twas the night before the night before Christmas
When all through the Manhattan sewers
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mutant rat
The Foot banners were hung behind his old chair
In hopes that Saki wouldn't come back from the dead

You know, I'm no poet so it doesn't even rhyme or anything, but I just had to put it out there considering how pleased I am to get a new issue of this awesome comic right before Christmas. And what an issue! (Feels repetitive saying this every single time, but hey, it's the authors' dang fault!)

I won't spoil anything but even though I knew where it was going, that last panel was a very freaking cool note to end on. 8)

And do I detect a hint of Casey/Kara? Yes, please!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-23-2015, 11:21 AM
There's a LOT of awesome little gems in this issue besides the whole Mikey/Mutanimal team-up.

April's talk with her mom and Beth talking about how she and John almost split up
Casey working with Detective Lewis to find Hun
Raph worrying about Mikey
Pete's skillz at games
Mikey and Seymour Gutz

Really curious to know why Hob is working with Hun and supplying the Purple Dragon leader with weapons... what's HOB getting out of this deal!?

My Christmas present from Bobby and Tom has been THOROUGHLY enjoyed. :tcool:

MikeandRaph87
12-23-2015, 04:20 PM
:( I went by my LCS about 2PM today and the shop owner said that he did not receive 8 titles out today and TMNT#53 was among them. Diamond shorted them. I will have to check back tomorrow for it. Anyone else have this problem? Aside from Vader Down this the only comic that truly interest me.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-23-2015, 04:29 PM
:( I went by my LCS about 2PM today and the shop owner said that he did not receive 8 titles out today and TMNT#53 was among them. Diamond shorted them. I will have to check back tomorrow for it. Anyone else have this problem? Aside from Vader Down this the only comic that truly interest me.

I only buy their physical media in TPB... sorry to hear it, man. It'll be worth the wait!

neatoman
12-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Like I just said in another thread, I'm begining to suspect that Harold might be the same character as Harry from Nano and that his former partner is Richardson.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/1/11/Tmnt_blog037-18.png/revision/latest?cb=20100202185030
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/9/95/Tmnt_blog037-10.png/revision/latest?cb=20100202194334

Not saying this is the case but it might be.

MikeandRaph87
12-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Harry had bad intentions where as Harold has good intentions. The partner Harold is referring to is Dr. Richardson? I don't see that. Yes, IDW can pull obscure characters (Alex Winter for example) but I don't see this being the case. believed it would be Lady Null.

Redeemer
12-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Honestly the art killed me in this issue, so cartoony and child like, It honestly looked like art from TMNTA not THE ongoing. Hopefully the art will turn back to a more serious tone like it was early on with Dan Duncan or in the City Fall arc

Redeemer
12-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Like I just said in another thread, I'm begining to suspect that Harold might be the same character as Harry from Nano and that his former partner is Richardson.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/1/11/Tmnt_blog037-18.png/revision/latest?cb=20100202185030
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/9/95/Tmnt_blog037-10.png/revision/latest?cb=20100202194334

Thats a little out in left field imo. I just don't see much of a connection.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Honestly the art killed me in this issue, so cartoony and child like, It honestly looked like art from TMNTA not THE ongoing. Hopefully the art will turn back to a more serious tone like it was early on with Dan Duncan or in the City Fall arc

Yeah, I try not to rag on the artists anymore (I did criticize Mateus a lot, but I've said my piece on his Donnie and Mikey before and I love it other than that), but this art was a little too rough for my tastes.

Harry had bad intentions where as Harold has good intentions. The partner Harold is referring to is Dr. Richardson? I don't see that. Yes, IDW can pull obscure characters (Alex Winter for example) but I don't see this being the case. believed it would be Lady Null.

I don't either, simply because Harry was a crook and Harold is straight-up hero. Crusty and grouchy, but hero. I also think the partner is Lady Null.

Good theory, but I don't think it'll happen.

I'M wondering if Hob is gonna get kicked out of Mutanimals. I mean, that's what I thought back in Mutanimals but it turned out to be wrong... I'm just curious how forgiving all the Mutanimals will be.

CyberCubed
12-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Pretty solid issue with the Mutanimals. The art was great, looked like a cartoon and fit this issue. I also noticed Mike used his grappling hook from the original cartoon. ;)

I'm very curious to see what role Darius will play, and if he is connected to Dark Water and Winters. Seeing Hun return so soon is interesting, I almost forgot Hob was the one who broke him out of the police car too.

ChosenOne
12-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Pretty solid issue with the Mutanimals. The art was great, looked like a cartoon and fit this issue. I also noticed Mike used his grappling hook from the original cartoon. ;)

I'm very curious to see what role Darius will play, and if he is connected to Dark Water and Winters. Seeing Hun return so soon is interesting, I almost forgot Hob was the one who broke him out of the police car too.

Speaking of which, Darius' desk smash had some overtones of Kingpin. I have to say I loved that panel!

Redeemer
12-23-2015, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I try not to rag on the artists anymore (I did criticize Mateus a lot, but I've said my piece on his Donnie and Mikey before and I love it other than that), but this art was a little too rough for my tastes.

I don't either, simply because Harry was a crook and Harold is straight-up hero. Crusty and grouchy, but hero. I also think the partner is Lady Null.

Good theory, but I don't think it'll happen.

I'M wondering if Hob is gonna get kicked out of Mutanimals. I mean, that's what I thought back in Mutanimals but it turned out to be wrong... I'm just curious how forgiving all the Mutanimals will be.
Glad someone agrees with me about the art. Honestly I am not sure if I can even blame the artist, bc I am sure the editor or writer or even Nick want a certain tone for the series. If we had the same artist (Corey Smith?) and tone from Krang wars the issue would have been immensely better.

Again I think if we had the same artist and tone from Krang wars the issue would have been amazing.

ProphetofGanja
12-23-2015, 06:01 PM
This was a great issue, IDW does it again. The story is moving in very interesting directions, I'm glad Mikey is getting a chance to be in the spotlight for a little while.

This issue finally picks up on Hob and Hun teaming up, which from the looks of it can't be for anything very heroic.

I like the long build-up Darkwater is getting. I want them to be a serious entity, not dealt with and done in one issue.

I like this art much better than #51 and #52, it's much more my style. Dialynas has a very cool look to his art that I think works very well for TMNT, especially for a Mikey issue.

Big Ups to IDW, can't wait for the next issue!

CyberCubed
12-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Speaking of which, Darius' desk smash had some overtones of Kingpin. I have to say I loved that panel!

For some reason Darius reminded me of Krang when he was in his human robot suit. I hope Darius doesn't turn out to be Krang in disguise.

ChosenOne
12-23-2015, 07:37 PM
For some reason Darius reminded me of Krang when he was in his human robot suit. I hope Darius doesn't turn out to be Krang in disguise.

Intriguing theory, but how would he have the time to build up what I'm assuming is a successful company under Darius Dunn's name? And wouldn't the Neutrinos alert the Turtles to his escape? I hope they remain two distinct characters too.

TheCollector
12-24-2015, 02:21 AM
Y'know, seeing all these Fast Forward characters popping up I really hope that Alien Assistant girl appears as well. I always felt we got jiped what with her being in the opening, yet only appearing in like one ep.

neatoman
12-24-2015, 05:13 AM
Y'know, seeing all these Fast Forward characters popping up I really hope that Alien Assistant girl appears as well. I always felt we got jiped what with her being in the opening, yet only appearing in like one ep.

Starlee? No she was more prominent.

DarkLightDragon
12-24-2015, 06:16 AM
Yeah, Starlee was in a few episodes. Not just one.

She was a character that wasn't overused but not totally underused either.

Redeemer
12-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Yeah, Starlee was in a few episodes. Not just one.

She was a character that wasn't overused but not totally underused either.

lol I can't believe we are talking about this, but didn't Cody take Starlee out at the end of one ep to a fancy ball or something lol :lol:

CyberCubed
12-24-2015, 10:47 AM
Starlee had a crush on Cody and wanted him to go on a date with her. There's also an episode her mother shows up and teases her about liking Cody.

MikeandRaph87
12-24-2015, 10:55 AM
This will answer any question about Starlee.
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Starlee_Hambrath

I think she should stay within the one season of TMNT 2003. I dont see any further usage for her.

So tell me while I have to wait, did we get a reason for Hob and Hun's association?

Any further plot with Dark Water?

ChosenOne
12-24-2015, 11:14 AM

I think she should stay within the one season of TMNT 2003. I dont see any further usage for her.

So tell me while I have to wait, did we get a reason for Hob and Hun's association?

Nope and nope. Next issue might definitely clear up at least the first point, though.

Redeemer
12-24-2015, 11:44 AM

I assumed that Old Hob was simply up to his old tricks again :D

Hopefully he returns to more of a bad guy instead of this good guy/ anti-villian role

ProphetofGanja
12-24-2015, 01:39 PM
I assumed that Old Hob was simply up to his old tricks again :D

Hopefully he returns to more of a bad guy instead of this good guy/ anti-villian role

It's looking like whatever he's up to, the rest of the Mutanimals aren't going to like it, nor Mikey. After that Hob will probably be on the outs again, and likely ousted from his crew as well, at least for a while. I know Hob started out as a more straight-up villain but I hope he doesn't return to that role permanently. I liked him having a makeshift family and sense of belonging. Poor lil kitty :(

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-24-2015, 01:43 PM
It's looking like whatever he's up to, the rest of the Mutanimals aren't going to like it, nor Mikey. After that Hob will probably be on the outs again, and likely ousted from his crew as well, at least for a while. I know Hob started out as a more straight-up villain but I hope he doesn't return to that role permanently. I liked him having a makeshift family and sense of belonging. Poor lil kitty :(

Agreed. I feel like returning Hob to straight-up black-and-white villainy will be regression, not progression, for his character.

ChosenOne
12-24-2015, 02:26 PM
In that regard, I feel that the best outcome would be for the Mutanimals to separate into two factions: those that are okay with Hob's schemes and those that support Mikey. Slash and Mondo probably fall into the latter category, and I can see Herman and Ray standing by Hob no matter what.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-24-2015, 02:32 PM
In that regard, I feel that the best outcome would be for the Mutanimals to separate into two factions: those that are okay with Hob's schemes and those that support Mikey. Slash and Mondo probably fall into the latter category, and I can see Herman and Ray standing by Hob no matter what.

Honestly, I think ALL of the Mutanimals (especially the ones liberated from Null) would stick with Hob except those two you mentioned, Slash and Mondo. Pete's a little too stupid to differentiate between shades of gray and morality... dumb bird makes worm cake, after all. :tlol:

ChosenOne
12-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Mutagen Man seems like he could go either way, depending on what Hob and Hun's goal is.

Mikey, Slash, Mondo and Seymour vs Hob, Herman, Ray, Sally and Pete would be a decent line-up for a Civil War-style arc.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-24-2015, 04:06 PM
Mutagen Man seems like he could go either way, depending on what Hob and Hun's goal is.

Mikey, Slash, Mondo and Seymour vs Hob, Herman, Ray, Sally and Pete would be a decent line-up for a Civil War-style arc.

That would be heartbreaking and yet amazing.

I wants it. :trazz:

MikeandRaph87
12-24-2015, 04:55 PM
I don't see it. We already have enough going on as it is. Hob lraving and replaced by Leatherhead is possible. Aside from that I see no change. Hob can't revert, but I can see him taking time away. It could allow Hob to grow with some separation for a brief period.

Enscripture
12-25-2015, 03:45 AM
Who's the artist? Everybody looked okay, the mutants, male characters, I guess but damn. Every female looks hideous!! April looks like a cabbage patch kid with freckles

funatic
12-25-2015, 06:43 AM
Every female looks hideous!!

Let's call it a throwback to the Eastman & Laird days! :P I honestly loved the art. Perfect style for this series and the Mutanimals in particular!

bushido
12-25-2015, 08:27 AM
So now it's a five part story arc ? Is it just for the current arc or this will become systematic ? I think it's better than four.

MikeandRaph87
12-25-2015, 08:42 AM
So now it's a five part story arc ? Is it just for the current arc or this will become systematic ? I think it's better than four.

No, its two issues (51/52), two issues (53/54), one issue (55).Then issue 56 kicks startsvan atc we don't know the number of yet. I assume four, but it remains to be seen.

I won't get my issue until next Wednesday because of the Diamond screw up, but since the shop owner saw my pitful face upon telling me that will give it to me as a Christmas gift.

bushido
12-25-2015, 08:53 AM
No, its two issues (51/52), two issues (53/54), one issue (55).Then issue 56 kicks startsvan atc we don't know the number of yet. I assume four, but it remains to be seen.

Sorry I'm pretty new in TMNT comics so I'm a little confused. I was speaking about this :

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8196qrlUMZL.jpg

"A new age begins for the TMNT. The epic events of the past have created new opportunities for the future...and new dangers. Will the family stay united in the face of a devastating new foe? It collects issues numbered 51-55." (from Amazon)

ctt4lfecw
12-25-2015, 09:18 AM
So

If Hob is bringing weapons to Hun, then who are they dealing them to? It can't be Darius or Null based on what we've read so far.

MikeandRaph87
12-25-2015, 09:34 AM
If you are asking if the number of issues collecyed has increased y one from four to five the answer is yes. It might vary by the number of issues in the arc. For example if the Leatherhead/Return to Burnow Island arc is four and the next arc after is also four it would not be broken up and would only be four for example.

ProphetofGanja
12-25-2015, 12:20 PM
So

If Hob is bringing weapons to Hun, then who are they dealing them to? It can't be Darius or Null based on what we've read so far.

Ya know, I would not put it past Hob to steal Darius Dunn's guns and then sell them back to him :lol:

I agree about Null though, Hob wouldn't sell them to her because of their enmity, but she wouldn't need them anyways, she can make her own weapons, and more high-tech ones at that

AquaParade
12-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Couldn't bring myself to finish this issue. Not sure if it was the art, story, or both that just weren't hooking me.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Agreed. I feel like returning Hob to straight-up black-and-white villainy will be regression, not progression, for his character.

Not necessarily. Ever hear the old proverb "a leopard can't change his spots"? Same thing. Hob may just be reverting to his true nature and/or old ways, like many people who refuse to learn from past mistakes or bad judgment. He's the leopard in the TMNT universe.

That could be interesting, but standing by Hob no matter what? Not so sure they would if he went too far.

Honestly, I think ALL of the Mutanimals (especially the ones liberated from Null) would stick with Hob except those two you mentioned, Slash and Mondo. Pete's a little too stupid to differentiate between shades of gray and morality... dumb bird makes worm cake, after all. :tlol:

I think in might go the other way, and they would all leave him if/when he went over the line. As for Pete, he'd probably just follow the majority.

spookycookies
12-26-2015, 08:13 PM
I do think the Mutanimals will eventually need to be broken up in some way, whether through a civil war of sorts or some sort of structural divide. It seems like Ray could be a great field commander even without Hob calling the shots.

Hob is a great character, he's done good things and bad things all for his own reasons, also he doesn't care at all if it bothers any other characters.

CyberCubed
12-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Ray was the leader of the team in Archie, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the leader here too.

Joey Kamikaze
12-26-2015, 10:05 PM
I could see Hob starting the Mutanimals for his own purposes, then getting kicked out by his well-meaning followers when it's revealed he's still a jackass deep down. Maybe Hob as been playing Professor X and planning to go Magneto, and he busted Hun out for his experience in street warfare. But who knows, this book is going all kinds of different directions now.

It's so great to see the Mutanimals reborn as a faction in this universe. Especially since IDW lets them be the quasi-terrorist group the Archie book hinted they might be. :lol:

Toitlefan
12-29-2015, 09:44 AM
In a way I'm hoping that Mikey exposes Hob's devious plan (assuming that it is devious) and the Mutanimals assign Mikey as the new leader. Seeing the Mutanimals and the new Foot clan cross paths would make for some great stories.
Also, anyone else notice the Archie Easter-eggs? The pics on the wall of the Mutanimals hideout; Cudley, Ace and the wrestler guy.

MikeandRaph87
12-29-2015, 09:49 AM
quasi-terrorist? I don't see that Joey. They were murdered by terrorist. They were environment messengers to 90s' kids.

Yes, I noticed the posters that seem random in-story. Aside form Ace Duck and Cudley The Cowlick, the other is Cryin' Hound.

Joey Kamikaze
12-29-2015, 07:56 PM
quasi-terrorist? I don't see that Joey. They were murdered by terrorist. They were environment messengers to 90s' kids.
Read Mighty Mutanimals #8, where Man Ray explains it's okay to steal as long as you're doing it to sink the boats of government-employed whalers. :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Read Mighty Mutanimals #8, where Man Ray explains it's okay to steal as long as you're doing it to sink the boats of government-employed whalers. :lol:

Wait, are you saying it's NOT okay? :teek:

ctt4lfecw
12-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed Ace, Cryin' Hound and Cudley.

Ninjinister
12-29-2015, 11:10 PM
In a way I'm hoping that Mikey exposes Hob's devious plan (assuming that it is devious) and the Mutanimals assign Mikey as the new leader. Seeing the Mutanimals and the new Foot clan cross paths would make for some great stories.
Also, anyone else notice the Archie Easter-eggs? The pics on the wall of the Mutanimals hideout; Cudley, Ace and the wrestler guy.

Holy ducks, how did I miss that?

Mutant Ninja Anole
12-29-2015, 11:37 PM
Not much to add here but I did love it all.

I feel Hob just...can't help himself to a degree. Settle down? Be a noble do gooder? He's got too much hate pent up for him to do that. Which again is sad because I feel like he's close to throwing away the best thing that's ever happened to him.

DrSpengler
12-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Here's my belated full summary and review of TMNT #53 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2015/12/tmnt-idw-53.html)

Loving Dialynas' art. It hems closer to aesthetic cohesion with Santolouco and Smith, but there are enough unique details to make his style stand out.

I'm a sucker for the Mutanimals, so it was good to see them back in the forefront. Lookin' forward to this next gang war arc they're building to, if indeed that's what they're building to. The gang war during City Fall was sort of overshadowed, so if they're having a second go at the idea then a bigger focus on the actual gangs involved would be an ideal change.

D Piddy 1982
01-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Another Santolouco Instagram sneak peak, I think it's Donnie:

https://instagram.com/p/BAR9OCErRa8/

Edit: he's hashtagged Leo...sure looks like Donnie from the bandana though...

ProphetofGanja
01-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Another Santolouco Instagram sneak peak, I think it's Donnie:

https://instagram.com/p/BAR9OCErRa8/

Edit: he's hashtagged Leo...sure looks like Donnie from the bandana though...

thought the exact same thing this morning

Utrommaniac
01-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Looks like Donnie to me as well, but hey...this might just be our Blue Dress/Gold Dress until March. Those were dark time.

In the meantime, shouldn't we be expecting a #54 preview about now? We've got a little over a week and a half until its release.

ChosenOne
01-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Looks like Donnie to me as well, but hey...this might just be our Blue Dress/Gold Dress until March. Those were dark time.

In the meantime, shouldn't we be expecting a #54 preview about now? We've got a little over a week and a half until its release.

Previews are usually out on the Friday before the release date, so on the 15th.

MikeandRaph87
01-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Any ideas on why Hob would break out Hun from custody and round up weapons in a warehouse for him?

Joey Kamikaze
01-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Any ideas on why Hob would break out Hun from custody and round up weapons in a warehouse for him?

He's planning a war against Null/humanity in general and playing hero with the Mutanimals is largely an act?

PangolinFeets
01-09-2016, 12:25 PM
He needs the help of at least some humans. Like he's doing with Lindsey. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with her. Is he going to try to get rid of her once he has enough mutants?
I'm sure its the same deal with Hun. He's well-connected and strong.

ToTheNines
01-09-2016, 12:42 PM
I just hope Hun and Hob's partnership isn't short lived. I'm pretty interested in that dynamic.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Maybe Hob wants a public fall guy, someone the NYPD can blame for his crimes. Take the spotlight off mutants?

D Piddy 1982
01-22-2016, 04:46 AM
Shared this in another thread but thought it's worth posting here too, Santolouco has given us the full page spread of the Leatherhead teaser he gave us a while back:

https://instagram.com/p/BA0CsiMrRRL/