PDA

View Full Version : 4kids ignorance... help?

RaphaelsIsolation
12-29-2015, 10:07 AM
So I was a huge fan of the OT (87 series) through like 1993 or so, then I was about 9 years old or so and kinda grew out of it and just got into other things.

I remember the 2003 4kids cartoon going on, but this was during a very stressful time in my life, and I only caught 1 or 2 episodes in passing. Never watched it.

So I'm not interested in maybe trying to watch them all for the very first time. I know it is more like the comics and a little less kid friendly. What would be the simpliest way to do so?

I'm watching the first episode on youtube now. I don't love the look that much. I mean I like it alright, I'm not a big fan of the bulky looking muscle toned turtles. I really like the OT designs. Seems like they should of kept the OT design and spruced it up a little meaner or something. Then again they probably needed something edgier too. So I guess it works for this.

I've heard watching this series in a complete purist version is impossible.

What should I do?

TheSkeletonMan939
12-29-2015, 10:35 AM
So would you just like to watch just the better episodes of the series, rather than the full thing?

RaphaelsIsolation
12-29-2015, 10:49 AM
I would prefer to watch them all... why hasn't nick released a complete collection man?

I don't get it

TheSkeletonMan939
12-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Haha, we've been wondering that for years. 4Kids didn't even release the DVDs properly. :P

My advice is to just watch them on YouTube or something, if Viacom hasn't taken it all down yet. Just follow the airdate order.

Nick might have some episodes on their website too, but I'm not sure if that's a permanent thing or not.

tmnt transformer
12-29-2015, 11:14 AM
I watched all 7 seasons on youtube a few years back in order. It takes a while to do, but completely doable.

The-Shredder
12-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Currently, the first two seasons are available digitally on iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, etc. As for the rest of the seasons, hopefully they will become available next year.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-29-2015, 04:26 PM
To repeat the advice of others, YouTube. It's got the full run. Seasons 1-4 are the only greats, although a lot of people swear by Season 5. Most of us will agree that Seasons 6 and 7 are best unwatched, though.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-29-2015, 04:40 PM
There are a select few FF and BttS episodes that can be enjoyed, I think.

Technogeek29
12-29-2015, 04:52 PM
There are a select few FF and BttS episodes that can be enjoyed, I think.

Very select few.

EDIT: I mean more towards back to the sewers as I don't revisit that season much. Fast Forward at least has many episodes I enjoy even if it is a weaker season by comparison.

ABrown
12-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Currently, the first two seasons are available digitally on iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, etc. As for the rest of the seasons, hopefully they will become available next year.

I think this is your best option. The 4Kids series is a show that's most enjoyable when watched in its entirety. That's not to say that you can't enjoy the show by only watching individual episodes, but it's far more enjoyable to watch the whole story. Which is why I wouldn't recommend buying Nickelodeon's stupid little volumes.

LeotheLateBloomer
12-30-2015, 05:36 AM
Yeah, I respect your opinion but I think you're missing out if you choose not to watch it. The fact that Nick won't give this series a proper DVD release is unbelievable.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
12-30-2015, 01:35 PM
I would prefer to watch them all... why hasn't nick released a complete collection man?

I don't get it

It took over eight years to release the 1987 cartoon to DVD (April 2004-November 2012). Since rereleases started in 2015, maybe we should wait until 2023 something...

THGhost
12-31-2015, 06:37 PM
I'd say YouTube, but the last time I checked they don't have the episodes in their correct aspect ratio. If you can, download them from... certain places that we can't discuss here. :P

Ninturtle
12-31-2015, 09:40 PM
I think this is your best option. The 4Kids series is a show that's most enjoyable when watched in its entirety. That's not to say that you can't enjoy the show by only watching individual episodes, but it's far more enjoyable to watch the whole story. Which is why I wouldn't recommend buying Nickelodeon's stupid little volumes.

I'd say watching seasons 1-4 is way more enjoyable than watching the whole show, the show drops in quantity after that.

ABrown
01-01-2016, 09:42 AM
I'd say watching seasons 1-4 is way more enjoyable than watching the whole show, the show drops in quantity after that.

Well if you're gonna watch seasons 1-4, you can't just stop there. You gotta watch the 12 season five episodes to see how the story arc ends. The season five finale could've easily served as the series finale. I can understand (though I don't necessarily agree) if you're saying to skip the Fast Forward and Back To The Sewer seasons.

SKX31
01-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Well if you're gonna watch seasons 1-4, you can't just stop there. You gotta watch the 12 season five episodes to see how the story arc ends. The season five finale could've easily served as the series finale. I can understand (though I don't necessarily agree) if you're saying to skip the Fast Forward and Back To The Sewer seasons.

I'm agreeing because there is a major disadvantage with ignoring entire seasons in the series. Focusing on certain aspects (Season 1-3 of OT, Season 1-4 of 4Kids) is fine, focusing only on those - and forgetting that Season 6-10 of OT as well as >> / BttS even exists - is a pretty surefire way of not knowing what exactly went wrong in many peoples' eyes. Same thing with ignoring later seasons of Simpsons, Family Guy etc. Knowing both what was successful and what wasn't can be very helpful when watching the shows in hindsight.

As an aside: I'm not opposed to retools per se if handled correctly, but Red Sky and Fast Forward both had the problem of coming out of nowhere and introducing characters that ended up controversial, to put it mildly. Not to mention that the tone of both retools went with trends just because they were popular at the time, and did not introduce much that stood out in contrast to its tonal predecessors.

shuriken
01-02-2016, 06:26 PM
The animation takes a bit getting used to but it's worth a watch. Season 1 and 4 are fantastic, Season 2 is alright 3 is also really good in my opinion. 5 is kinda wonky and 6 and 7 are mediocre at best and feel kind of tacked on.
I suggest you watch the first season, ask yourself if you like it and and want to watch more. If not then don't bother, but if you do then yeah by all means watch the series. My fave cartoon incarnation actually.

wpugh2424
01-05-2016, 03:22 AM
Seasons 1-4 awesome
Season 5 is different but good
Season 6-7 is hard to watch
Would do it via YouTube - I just watched an episode every night while I was in residency

01-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Maybe you can try to get a video and ask for videotapes by someone who has recorded it at home. I recall a video from 2006 something having good quality.

ABrown
01-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Maybe you can try to get a video and ask for videotapes by someone who has recorded it at home. I recall a video from 2006 something having good quality.

Actually, I had recorded EVERY episode on VHS as they aired. However, as I purchased the releases, I would dispose of the VHS tapes. So somewhere in a garbage dump/landfill somewhere, there's a whole bunch of tapes with all of the episodes of the 4Kids series. Except for the Back To The Sewer season, I never got rid of that season's tapes since the episodes were never released on dvd.

TheSkeletonMan939
01-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Actually, I had recorded EVERY episode on VHS as they aired. However, as I purchased the releases, I would dispose of the VHS tapes. So somewhere in a garbage dump/landfill somewhere, there's a whole bunch of tapes with all of the episodes of the 4Kids series. Except for the Back To The Sewer season, I never got rid of that season's tapes since the episodes were never released on dvd.

Ah man, I was just about to say it'd be cool to take a look at all the bumpers/advertisements for the show that you had recorded, if you had a means of uploading them to the internet. Oh well. :P

01-09-2016, 09:51 AM
If you have Netflix, you can maybe watch it there (and connect the computer to the TV set)?

TheSkeletonMan939
01-09-2016, 10:40 AM
If you have Netflix, you can maybe watch it there (and connect the computer to the TV set)?

It's not on Netflix. Not for streaming, anyway.

01-09-2016, 03:42 PM
It's not on Netflix. Not for streaming, anyway.

OK, but why not?

CyberCubed
01-09-2016, 10:49 PM
This thread, ridiculous. You either watch the entire show or you don't watch it at all. If the entire series comes out on DVD someday, people should be FORCED to watch every episode, including all of FF and BTTS.

Skipping episodes is a sin, especially if you've not seen it at all least once before.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-09-2016, 11:03 PM
This thread, ridiculous. You either watch the entire show or you don't watch it at all. If the entire series comes out on DVD someday, people should be FORCED to watch every episode, including all of FF and BTTS.

Skipping episodes is a sin, especially if you've not seen it at all least once before.

Hell no. Be informed, know when a show takes a dive, know WHY it takes a dive, and then skip it if you so desire.

FF and BttS is completely skippable.

CyberCubed
01-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Why do you think it took a dive? I find many of the FF episodes to be enjoyable.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-09-2016, 11:12 PM
Why do you think it took a dive? I find many of the FF episodes to be enjoyable.

Any time showrunners drastically change the formula of a show, it either results in a huge improvement or a huge dive. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but...

Exchanging the Mirage adaptations, the Battle Nexus, the Earth Protection Force, the Foot Clan, and Baxter Stockman for Jammerhead, Shokonabo, Triple Threat, Dark Turtles, and Cody and Serling? That's a terrible trade. (Yes, I know we got two FF episodes with Bishop and Baxter.)

The ongoing storylines of Seasons 1 through 4 were utterly diverged from. Villians we cared about? Gone. Supporting cast we cared about? Gone.

All to sell new toys and try to bring in more kids. 'Cause the show was "too dark."

Utrommaniac
01-09-2016, 11:28 PM
Gotta find it pretty funny how the Fred Wolf cartoons were goofy at their start, then took a turn for the more serious tone with the Red Sky. Then the 4Kids started off with a similar serious tone at its start, then booted that for the brighter and more carefree. Talk about tone swapping.

And it did pretty much the same thing with dumping familiar antagonists as well.

01-10-2016, 05:12 AM
Gotta find it pretty funny how the Fred Wolf cartoons were goofy at their start, then took a turn for the more serious tone with the Red Sky. Then the 4Kids started off with a similar serious tone at its start, then booted that for the brighter and more carefree. Talk about tone swapping.

And it did pretty much the same thing with dumping familiar antagonists as well.

Sesons 1-2 of the 1987 series were darker, season 3 mixed between different episodes, but usually lighter. Seasons 4-7 are lighter.

TheSkeletonMan939
01-10-2016, 07:45 AM
OK, but why not?

You don't honestly think Netflix has EVERYTHING for streaming, do you?

I suppose one can find FF enjoyable if the viewer has no idea there are five, much, much better seasons that precede it.

01-10-2016, 09:26 AM
You don't honestly think Netflix has EVERYTHING for streaming, do you?

I didn't know, I don't use it. But as you already said above, the series isn't on Netflix.

ABrown
01-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Sesons 1-2 of the 1987 series were darker, season 3 mixed between different episodes, but usually lighter. Seasons 4-7 are lighter.

You consider season two to be darker? I mean it was less cheesy and better produced than some of the episodes that followed. However, I wouldn't consider it darker.

pannoni1
01-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Let's not forget that 4kids is wedged in between what fans view as "classic TMNT" (OT/Mirage Vol. 1/2/'90s movies) and "modern TMNT" (Nick/Platinum Dunes/IDW), which explains for its current lack of appreciation. Despite claims about being more true to the original comics and some episodes are close cousins of the issues they are based on, 4kids is still for the most part its own series with its own arcs (Battle Nexus, Ninja Tribunal) and even on the arcs that are based on the comics (RTNY, City At War, Turtles In Space) still have noticeable differences that fit in. I consider it the most "alternative" of any non-comic series for that matter since it flew under my radar during its era, but thankfully it is still accessible and if you look hard can find most if not all of the DVDs. It is much less about chatter and humor compared to the other series and more like an action drama. I myself watched it through a few years ago and noticed a similar pattern of Seasons 1 and 4 being the best, followed by 3, then 2, 5 a bit weird but still watchable, FF way too off-key, and BTTS a bit too glossy to be serious compared to the early seasons with an OK but not spectacular regular finale, but with a decent grand finale (Turtles Forever).

shuriken
01-15-2016, 02:16 AM
^^ I agree wholeheartedly. Lets be friends

TurtleGuy
01-15-2016, 04:24 PM
You consider season two to be darker? I mean it was less cheesy and better produced than some of the episodes that followed. However, I wouldn't consider it darker.
Even season 1 wasn't all that dark.

01-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Shouldn't this get merged with "2003 Show's Nick Releases"?

TMNTInsighter
03-22-2016, 08:53 PM
I've heard 4Kids is gone. They went bankrupt some time ago. They've reemerged, in some way, as 4Licensing or something but they're obviously no longer a production company.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-22-2016, 08:58 PM
You heard correctly, but 4Kids is out of the equation, and has been since 2010. The 2k3 show is now in the hands of Nickelodeon, and what happens to it is solely up to them.

Powder
03-22-2016, 09:04 PM
They've reemerged, in some way, as 4Licensing or something but they're obviously no longer a production company.

Huh, I hadn't heard about that. All the best to them if anyone involved with TMNT is still there.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-22-2016, 09:09 PM
Yeah, he's right. What's kinda funny is that they're attached only to the same shows they had in, like, 2007. (http://www.4licensingcorp.com/properties/)

Powder
03-22-2016, 09:25 PM
None of which being any good whatsoever. :tlol: