PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Female Bat-Family Member?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Myself, I really love all four of the Batgirls; I think giving Barbara her legs back was a real disservice to the character, especially considering the hipster angle her book has taken since Gail Simone left.

Stephanie and Cassandra are both incredible; Stephanie for being down-to-earth and cheerful (maybe my favorite Batgirl), and Cassandra for being utterly badass. She was also a hugely unique character, mute and spoke the language of physicality. That was some quality original writing.

But just as Jason Todd is my favorite of the Robins (though not specifically as Robin), Helena Bertinelli is my favorite Batgirl. Lethal force vigilante, barely accepted by the Bat family at large.

WHY HAS NO ONE WRITTEN A "RED HOOD & HUNTRESS" BOOK!? Would be so much better than the tripe Lobdell's been writing since New 52.

I included Harper Row and Kathy Kane, but honestly, neither of those characters interest me too much. Kathy's on the outskirts of the family, and I've not gotten around to reading Batwoman, so I can't comment on that character. And Harper's just kinda "meh" to me.

EDIT: And why didn't my poll show up? I had the box checked for one... :tsad:

ZariusTwo
12-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Oracle Babs. Still miss her, but at least she got some closure in Convergence and get hitched to her man at long last. I initially liked the New 52 hipster stuff, but Babs acts far too much like a teenager now.

Love me some Stephanie too, which is funny because I outright hated her as Robin and right up until her demise in War Games. Her revival made me a fan and I caught up on her pre-Robin antics as Spoiler afterwards (I wasn't reading at that time)

TurtleTitan97
12-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Lets see, my top favorites would have to be Huntress, Oracle, and Batgirl (Stephanie ).

MikeandRaph87
12-30-2015, 02:50 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6uSg3ARDj6XizZw4vQ6Od-fr0ugtR9kJfj1Lhl_yQLD6a-eck

Somply the best!

PangolinFeets
12-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Easily Cass Cain. Her Batgirl costume is one of my favorite things to come out of Batverse. Plus, she's such an incredible badass. <3
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5289/5203040508_299aba4376_o.jpg

myconius
01-31-2016, 09:07 AM
Myself, I really love all four of the Batgirls; I think giving Barbara her legs back was a real disservice to the character, especially considering the hipster angle her book has taken since Gail Simone left.

Stephanie and Cassandra are both incredible; Stephanie for being down-to-earth and cheerful (maybe my favorite Batgirl), and Cassandra for being utterly badass. She was also a hugely unique character, mute and spoke the language of physicality. That was some quality original writing.

But just as Jason Todd is my favorite of the Robins (though not specifically as Robin), Helena Bertinelli is my favorite Batgirl. Lethal force vigilante, barely accepted by the Bat family at large.

WHY HAS NO ONE WRITTEN A "RED HOOD & HUNTRESS" BOOK!? Would be so much better than the tripe Lobdell's been writing since New 52.

I included Harper Row and Kathy Kane, but honestly, neither of those characters interest me too much. Kathy's on the outskirts of the family, and I've not gotten around to reading Batwoman, so I can't comment on that character. And Harper's just kinda "meh" to me.

EDIT: And why didn't my poll show up? I had the box checked for one... :tsad:

when Gail Simone first took over writing Batgirl when Barbara Gordon reclaimed the mantle it was actually really good writing!
the character had so many mental and emotional obstacles to get over, it really created some intense compelling stories!

the new team writing Batgirl was actually really good ...AT FIRST!
over time the title became TOO hip and trendy to the point of nausea!
but hey! if the Teeny Boppers are enjoying it, then more power to them!

CyberCubed
02-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Batgirl as Babs. Huntress too if she counts.

I don't know the other two.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Batgirl as Babs. Huntress too if she counts.

I don't know the other two.

Huntress absolutely counts.

Did you never read "No Man's Land?" It showcases Babs, Helena, and Cassandra all quite prominently.

Leo656
02-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Machete don't text, and CyberCubed don't comic book.

Bry
02-02-2016, 11:32 PM
At the risk of losing my only parishioner, I actually really enjoyed the new Batgirl run -- for the first arc or so that I've read, anyway. It's definitely not for everyone, but it has a good energy and was a pretty fun take, in my opinion. And I really love the costume.

That said, the only way I could enjoy it as much as I did was by making a point to look at it as a wholly alternate take on the character, completely removed from her pre-Flashpoint history. Because there's really no way to make that character work combined with the development Babs underwent becoming Oracle. Ultimately I think Oracle Babs is a much, much stronger character, and throwing that out for a supposedly "iconic" version with the New 52 was a colossal mistake. The same kind of mistake they made elsewhere, too.

I can still enjoy that book for what it is, though. But nothing comes close to Oracle.

myconius
02-03-2016, 05:03 AM
At the risk of losing my only parishioner, I actually really enjoyed the new Batgirl run -- for the first arc or so that I've read, anyway. It's definitely not for everyone, but it has a good energy and was a pretty fun take, in my opinion. And I really love the costume.

That said, the only way I could enjoy it as much as I did was by making a point to look at it as a wholly alternate take on the character, completely removed from her pre-Flashpoint history. Because there's really no way to make that character work combined with the development Babs underwent becoming Oracle. Ultimately I think Oracle Babs is a much, much stronger character, and throwing that out for a supposedly "iconic" version with the New 52 was a colossal mistake. The same kind of mistake they made elsewhere, too.

I can still enjoy that book for what it is, though. But nothing comes close to Oracle.

don't feel bad!
i was reading Batgirl since before the new 52 reboot and have stayed with it all the way through.

at first i really liked the new change as Gail Simone's run had seemed to burn out of steam, and this was a nice fun new direction for Babs.

at least for the first arc. after that something really sad happened to this new book.
it just seemed like it was trying TOO hard to be diverse and hip, and to me just felt forced and completely insincere!

well i just dropped this title along with a bunch of other DC books.
the new issue (according to the listings) should be out today, and part of me is curious to see what happens.
and the voice of reason is saying don't even think about it till the new team takes over.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-03-2016, 09:30 AM

... <wonders whether or not to leave his church now that Father Bry has been outed as a closet Hipster-Babs fan> ... :twink:

CyberCubed
02-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Huntress absolutely counts.

Did you never read "No Man's Land?" It showcases Babs, Helena, and Cassandra all quite prominently.

The other two Batgirl's have never been in any of the cartoons so I don't know about them or their history besides whatever tidbits I read online.

I just find it surprising there's already been as many Batgirl's as Robin's at this point.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-03-2016, 04:21 PM
The other two Batgirl's have never been in any of the cartoons so I don't know about them or their history besides whatever tidbits I read online.

I just find it surprising there's already been as many Batgirl's as Robin's at this point.

Do you ever read prose books, aka books without pictures?

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Mans-Land-Greg-Rucka/dp/0671038281/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454538049&sr=8-1&keywords=batman+no+man%27s+land+greg+rucka

Get that on Amazon or from your library and read it. READ IT, I SAID! It's great, totally condenses the comics into the main plots and is amazing.

myconius
03-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Dick Grayson will always be one of my favorite members of the Bat-family,
outside of Bruce of corse and Alfred Pennyworth!

some of my favorite Batman stories still are Robin Year One as well as Batgirl Year One. :D