PDA

View Full Version : Comic Strips: What are your favourite ones?

Prowler
12-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Many of us discovered comic strip series through newspapers when we were kids. Remember those days when you were only literate enough to read the comic strips in the papers? :lol:

I'd say my all-time favourite is a tie between Calvin & Hobbes and Foxtrot. C&H is a classic. It was so fascinating how Watterson portrayed a child's imagination in it and the whole dynamic between Calvin and his stuffed toy, Hobbes, who despite being an inanimate object, actually feels real to the reader. Plus, Watterson stopped drawing the strip when it was still popular. He left us asking for more, which was better than it getting stale and never seeming to end. Plus, I love the whole mystery surrounding Bill Watterson. People don't even know what he's up to nowadays. And it's nice you don't see the C&H property plastered in every product out there

Foxtrot is another personal favourite of mine. The Fox family is pretty funny. I just never get tired of Jason's ambitious scientific plans going wrong and Roger's stupidity. :lol:. I really liked that story arc where Jason and Marcus spent their whole Summer in a camp.

Garfield would probably come in 3rd. back in the 90s, when I was a little kid, it was my favourite strip, but having cared much for it in years. It's amazing how long it's been running though, since 1978. And even though Jim Davis has a team doing his strip nowadays, how can he still think of fresh stories about spiders, Mondays, mice and diets?

I'd award the 4th place in terms of preference to Mafalda, drawn by the Argentinian author Quino. I like the political and societal criticism in this strip. The funny thing is, it's kids talking about these issues instead of adults. Mafalda is only like 7-8 years old and knows more about society and politics than many adults do. Funny stuff. :lol:

I also liked Zits. It was a pretty relatable comic strip when i was a teenager. Foxtrot did have teenage characters, but the focal point of the strip wasn't to be an accurate portrayal of what being a teenager was like. I also like the use of surrealistic art in this strip.

Haven't read much of classics such as Peanuts and Dilbert, although I did like some of Dilbert strips I've read. It seems to be spot on about BS office policies. Also, anyone ha read Muts or Citizen Dog. They had their moments.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Calvin & Hobbes, for staying fresh, original, and not continuing on past its lifespan.

Bill Watterson never whored out his IP, unlike Garfield, Peanuts, and Dilbert. Though somehow, Dilbert at least is still funny to me.

TurtleTitan97
12-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Calvin & Hobbes
Peanuts
Garfield
Heart of the City
Zits

ToTheNines
12-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Anyone ever read Pearls Before Swine? I thought it was the greatest thing on Earth when I was in high school.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Cul de Sac
Pearls Before Swine
Cow and Boy
Curtis
Big Nate
And, of course, Calvin and Hobbes

Anyone ever read Pearls Before Swine? I thought it was the greatest thing on Earth when I was in high school.

Totally! Well... it used to be funny and clever. Pastis has had a humorless few years lately.

Utrommaniac
12-30-2015, 01:32 PM

There is one strip of that in particular that I recall clear as day

http://assets.amuniversal.com/889773709a0e012e2f8200163e41dd5b

Who even used fax machines in 2009, anyway?

TheSkeletonMan939
12-30-2015, 01:34 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/24/15/6b/24156bba4c7180675d03555b47d21605.jpg

:lol:

plastroncafe
12-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Are we divorcing print comic strips from webcomics?
Because if that's the case:

Calvin and Hobbes
The Far Side
Sherman's Lagoon
For Better For Worse

If we're not, I'd like to add:
XKCD
Gutters
PVP
Wondermark

Powder
12-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Calvin & Hobbes, Zits, & Mutts are my main favorites.

MikeandRaph87
12-30-2015, 01:44 PM
I read two more often than not, Peanuts and Blondie. Both are times, fun, and funny and at times heartwarming.

ZariusTwo
12-30-2015, 01:48 PM
The Amazing Spider-Man, Dick Tracey, Baby Blues, Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, Dilbert.

Utrommaniac
12-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Because if that's the case:

Calvin and Hobbes
The Far Side
Sherman's Lagoon
For Better For Worse

If we're not, I'd like to add:
XKCD
Gutters
PVP
Wondermark

I was wondering that myself, because most of the "strips" I read are webcomics.

Namely
Camp Weedonwantcha, for teh feelz http://campcomic.com/comic
Scandinavia and the World for adding to my files of useless geography facts http://satwcomic.com/
Boumeries for real-life antics from the artist (looking forward to the antics with her second child coming in February) http://comics.boumerie.com/

Prowler
12-30-2015, 02:22 PM

You know, tbh... I didn't think about that. So technically you can mention webcomics since I never stated this was strictly about print comics. Nice way to find a loophole :lol:

Calvin & Hobbes, Zits, & Mutts are my main favorites.

Someone else on Earth who has heard of Mutts. Coolio. Now all I need is to meet someone else who's heard of Citizen Dog.

Leo656
12-30-2015, 09:24 PM
Calvin & Hobbes was the best thing ever, for sure.

I'm a big fan of the classic Dick Tracy strips, but I've only read them in collected editions.

Mew
12-31-2015, 06:26 AM
Don't read them that much. But probably:,
Big Nate
Garfield
Peanuts.

Prowler
01-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Anyway, as for online strips, the only one I really ever followed was Penny Arcade. Naturally, being into video games, I liked it a lot.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-02-2016, 02:11 PM
Zombie Roomie and League of Super-Redundant Heroes.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Calvin and Hobbes, Dilbert, Garfield, The Far Side, Bizarro, Cathy, Bloom County/Outland, Zits, and Mother Goose and Grimm are some of my favorites. Outside of the well-known ones, I am also a fan of several D&D related ones like Order of the Stick, Dork Tower, What's New With Phil and Dixie, Downer, Nodwick (actually anything by Phil Kovalic), and Knights of the Dinner Table.

Jephael
01-02-2016, 08:08 PM
I loved reading comic strips back in the day, especially Calvin and Hobbes. Can you imagine if they tried to update it?

Leo656
01-03-2016, 04:28 AM
As others have mentioned Pearls Before Swine is pretty great. I also enjoy Get Fuzzy.

Prowler
02-13-2016, 05:05 AM
Btw, does anyone remember those Ninja Turtle comic strips that used to be posted daily on Ninja Turtles old website? I used to read them a lot and liked them. At some point I kept saving those strips to my hard drive, but then my computer died and lost everything in it, including those strips.