PDA

View Full Version : injustice gods among us

turtlefanforever
01-04-2016, 06:44 PM
anybody read the comic spinoff of the video game? really enjoyed the video game been contimplating checking out the comics

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-04-2016, 06:55 PM
I read Years 1 and 2, but Year 3 just bored me. I saw a Sherlock chimpanzee, said WTF, and put it down. Never gone back.

turtlefanforever
01-04-2016, 07:24 PM
I read Years 1 and 2, but Year 3 just bored me. I saw a Sherlock chimpanzee, said WTF, and put it down. Never gone back.

i heard three is when it went really off track.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-04-2016, 07:36 PM
i heard three is when it went really off track.

As far as I'm concerned, it sure was.

TurtleTitan97
01-04-2016, 07:50 PM
I've only read Year One. It was....interesting to say the least.

Leo656
01-04-2016, 10:49 PM
I've heard nothing but the worst of things.

I check out the reviews on the Superman Homepage from time to time, and they consistently give it horrible scores. Mostly because since it all inevitably leads up to the game, the book has a predestined Finish Point and nothing that happens along the way matters one bit. It's literally five years of running in place, with everyone acting way out of character in service to the "plot". Also it's badly drawn.

I'm simplifying it a great deal but feel free to head over to the site and see what they think of it, they have pretty comprehensive reviews of every issue. Spoiler Alert: They Really Don't Like It. :trazz:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-04-2016, 10:51 PM
I've heard nothing but the worst of things.

I check out the reviews on the Superman Homepage from time to time, and they consistently give it horrible scores. Mostly because since it all inevitably leads up to the game, the book has a predestined Finish Point and nothing that happens along the way matters one bit. It's literally five years of running in place, with everyone acting way out of character in service to the "plot". Also it's badly drawn.

I'm simplifying it a great deal but feel free to head over to the site and see what they think of it, they have pretty comprehensive reviews of every issue. Spoiler Alert: They Really Don't Like It. :trazz:

Are any of them impartial? I mean, Superman is the villain of the whole story. That's gotta burn for some of them. I get it. :tlol:

Leo656
01-04-2016, 11:12 PM
It's partly that, insofar as, the writers have a tendency to over-sell the evil-ness of Regime Superman, to the point where there's absolutely No Way this is the same Clark that Ma and Pa Kent raised. I mean even by the start of the video game, he's still mostly acting out of hurt and paranoia and not really a "villain", and his descent into pure villainy over the game's storyline is an organic progression as he reacts to the events around him. But even then, he's acting under his own personal code of what's "right", now skewed, but regardless.

In the Injustice Comics he's just Super-Hitler, Mass-Murdering Psychopath. He wasn't even that evil when the game started, which is at the end of the comic series. It's this completely ridiculous escalation as a way to keep churning out out-of-character Shock Moments.

So it's part of it, but again, only part. A little more of it is that since they have Regime Superman acting so out of character, lots of other characters ALSO have to be completely out of character in deference to the plot. Then there's plot holes, logic flaws, inconsistencies, contradictions, etc. etc.

I suggest just reading the reviews. They go into a lot of detail and are really hard to argue with. It's one thing to have a morally-conflicted Superman as the villain of your story; it's another to turn him into Super-Hitler because it's easier to write that way, to the point where he simply could not have ever been the same Superman, and then just make everyone else in the book an idiot because it's the only way to stretch the story out over this many issues. But they explain it a lot better than I can, so knock yourself out.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-05-2016, 09:00 AM
It's partly that, insofar as, the writers have a tendency to over-sell the evil-ness of Regime Superman, to the point where there's absolutely No Way this is the same Clark that Ma and Pa Kent raised. I mean even by the start of the video game, he's still mostly acting out of hurt and paranoia and not really a "villain", and his descent into pure villainy over the game's storyline is an organic progression as he reacts to the events around him. But even then, he's acting under his own personal code of what's "right", now skewed, but regardless.

In the Injustice Comics he's just Super-Hitler, Mass-Murdering Psychopath. He wasn't even that evil when the game started, which is at the end of the comic series. It's this completely ridiculous escalation as a way to keep churning out out-of-character Shock Moments.

So it's part of it, but again, only part. A little more of it is that since they have Regime Superman acting so out of character, lots of other characters ALSO have to be completely out of character in deference to the plot. Then there's plot holes, logic flaws, inconsistencies, contradictions, etc. etc.

I suggest just reading the reviews. They go into a lot of detail and are really hard to argue with. It's one thing to have a morally-conflicted Superman as the villain of your story; it's another to turn him into Super-Hitler because it's easier to write that way, to the point where he simply could not have ever been the same Superman, and then just make everyone else in the book an idiot because it's the only way to stretch the story out over this many issues. But they explain it a lot better than I can, so knock yourself out.

At least Evil Kal-el doesn't have a mustache. :tlol:

Leo656
01-06-2016, 12:00 AM
In that book, something so predictably cliche would be an unexpected twist. :lol:

The problem with DC right now, is that the powers-that-be like DiDio love dreck like Injustice and Countdown, but they hate stuff like 52 that people actually enjoyed. They have the complete opposite taste as most of their audience, and yet are trying to dictate to them what's good and what they should like.

And their sales are bleeding out across the line, and they can't figure out why. They can't figure out that, between Injustice being the highest-selling (and thus most consistently-pushed) book among casual readers, and the New 52 being the mainstream universe, there's absolutely no place for the "real" fans of DC - people who've been following them for more than 3-5 years - to see characters and stories they recognize and enjoy, and not only that, but are actually being shown the door and told they and their tastes no longer matter. And yet, they can't see the connection. They can't see how it's all their own fault.

One of the criticisms of the Injustice book was something like, "If it came out ten years ago, it would just be another mediocre ElseWorlds with an out-of-character Superman. As it is, there IS no 'in-character' version of Superman for anyone to currently read, anyway (it was before the Lois & Clark book, and even that is just a tiny bone), and that just makes Injustice that much worse."

Man, do I hate comic books. :ohwell: