PDA

View Full Version : Did Tatsu snapped a kid's neck in the 1990 film?

TurtleFan2012
01-05-2016, 01:33 AM
Remember the scene where Tatsu attacked the kids out of rage? Listen closely when Tatsu attacks the first kid. You'll hear a "crack" sound. I think he broke that kid's neck before throwing him to the ground. :o

It's odd they kept that sound effect in. From what I heard, the last kid was supposed to die, but it was later changed to not upset the viewers.

d_osborn
01-06-2016, 09:37 AM
I don't have the movie directly in front of me at the moment, but you're probably just hearing general fighting foley sounds. It was pretty heavily implied that Tatsu killed Shinsho in the early scripts, but moaning sounds were added in post to have a less dark tone to the scene.

In the first draft, it's Shredder that "brutally punishes" the Foot Soldier.

neatoman
01-06-2016, 11:35 AM
No but he did throw a confusing temper tantrum.

CyberCubed
01-06-2016, 11:38 AM
In the original script he did kill that kid. They then didn't want to upset parents so they dubbed in some moaning sounds to make it look like he was still alive, just unconscious.

d_osborn
01-06-2016, 06:36 PM
I just pulled out a production draft script from 7/89, which was during principal photography. Tatsu was originally supposed to throw a non-fatal roundhouse kick to the side of Shinso's head. When Shinsho falls, he hits his head, which is what kills him.

Here is a scan of the scene, as scripted.
http://i.imgur.com/5pU4Jwd.jpg

Jephael
01-07-2016, 08:24 PM
I remember being plenty disturbed by that scene when I was a kid. Infact before I had the official home video, I had recorded it off a TV broadcast and edited out that entire part. Boy, was I a pussy...

ProactiveMan
01-10-2016, 02:51 AM
Funny, I've always assumed he was dead - I didn't pick up on the moaning sounds.

That's one of my favorite scenes, as it tells you so much about these guys in a simple, visual way. It makes Shredder look really powerful; he can burn Tatsu so bad with just a silent glare, that he can't deal with it and flies off the handle. Then there is that last shot of Tatsu where he looks regretful, as though he didn't really want to go that far, but he kind of swallows it and walks away.

There's no more fun and games at this point; the Foot is a bad place to be.

DonatelloDomeHead31
01-12-2016, 11:28 AM
I remember that scene too.

"I'm alright" can barely be heard after the foot soldier is knocked to the ground by Tatsu.

Later, in the 2nd one, the violence was toned down a bit--no weapons used.

Bry
01-12-2016, 01:32 PM
I heard the breathing noises and the "you'll be all right" as a kid, but even then I could tell that's not what really happened. Ignore the dubbed lines and that scene plays so much better.

Fishface
01-26-2016, 01:48 PM
I always wanted to see more into the foot clans hideout! Also this scene shows how much rage Tatsu has if he gets mad! Was Shinso in any other scenes of the film? What about the Beaten Teen?

Machias Banshee
01-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Etsy and Mew, please keep your off-topic silliness out of the threads.

Mr_riddler
02-10-2016, 12:30 AM
Not in the film, in the comic book adaptation of the movie, yes.

http://i.imgur.com/IKfOodm.jpg

TonySiegel
04-15-2016, 01:29 PM
I just pulled out a production draft script from 7/89, which was during principal photography. Tatsu was originally supposed to throw a non-fatal roundhouse kick to the side of Shinso's head. When Shinsho falls, he hits his head, which is what kills him.

Here is a scan of the scene, as scripted.
http://i.imgur.com/5pU4Jwd.jpg

do you have a link to the whole script?

peace bro

d_osborn
04-18-2016, 08:16 AM
do you have a link to the whole script?

peace bro
I don't have any scans uploaded, but there are PDFs floating around.

TonySiegel
04-18-2016, 09:44 AM
I don't have any scans uploaded, but there are PDFs floating around.

cool i will dig around

myconius
06-04-2016, 07:50 AM
Not in the film, in the comic book adaptation of the movie, yes.

http://i.imgur.com/IKfOodm.jpg

i'm going to have to dig this comic out!!! i forgot about how hardcore it was! :D

Garfield
06-08-2016, 10:32 AM
I remember being plenty disturbed by that scene when I was a kid. Infact before I had the official home video, I had recorded it off a TV broadcast and edited out that entire part. Boy, was I a pussy...

Its okay that you thought it was disturbing. To see a guy get beaten to death is a disturbing thing to see. I don't think it makes you a pussy.

Funny, I've always assumed he was dead - I didn't pick up on the moaning sounds.

That's one of my favorite scenes, as it tells you so much about these guys in a simple, visual way. It makes Shredder look really powerful; he can burn Tatsu so bad with just a silent glare, that he can't deal with it and flies off the handle. Then there is that last shot of Tatsu where he looks regretful, as though he didn't really want to go that far, but he kind of swallows it and walks away.

There's no more fun and games at this point; the Foot is a bad place to be.

I always thought he was dead to. and I never picked up on the moaning edited in. Coupled with the fact that I really think the actor was playing it like he died, because he wasn't moving at all.

That was a really great scene. I wish they didn't feel the need to edit it, even if I didn't realize that they did.

Andrew NDB
06-08-2016, 10:54 AM
I always took it as Tatsu punched his nose into his brain or something, but otherwise killed him. It wasn't until years later I picked up on the "oh, the kid lives" stuff.

d_osborn
06-08-2016, 12:03 PM
That was a really great scene. I wish they didn't feel the need to edit it, even if I didn't realize that they did.
Just one of many changes from Golden Harvest after Barron was all but kicked out of the edit bay. I REALLY wish we could get a proper director's cut of TMNT.

pferreira
06-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Just one of many changes from Golden Harvest after Barron was all but kicked out of the edit bay. Where did you hear he was kicked out of edit bay?

d_osborn
06-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Where did you hear he was kicked out of edit bay?
I don't have any links handy, but it's pretty common knowledge. "Kicked out" is probably amplifying it a bit, but Golden Harvest took control over post-production pretty late in the process. From what I understand, Tarantino editor Sally Menke, as well. Most of the work had been done at that point, but they toned down some things for kids, pushed the film exposure to brighten things up, changed up the score/music ideas, etc.

pferreira
06-16-2016, 08:28 AM
I don't have any links handy, but it's pretty common knowledge. "Kicked out" is probably amplifying it a bit, but Golden Harvest took control over post-production pretty late in the process. From what I understand, Tarantino editor Sally Menke, as well. Most of the work had been done at that point, but they toned down some things for kids, pushed the film exposure to brighten things up, changed up the score/music ideas, etc.Brighten things up? Ha, ha! The finished film is already dark and dirty looking. :lol: