PDA

View Full Version : Guns Ní Roses Reunion Confirmed

The Deadman
01-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Guns Ní Roses Reunion Confirmed: Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan Will Play at Coachella (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-reunion-axl-slash-duff/)

What are your thoughts on this? They're missing the complete original band but hopefully it sounds better than the Chinese Democracy stuff.

Darth Knuckles
01-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Yeah I'm a little mixed about it as of right now. My main thing is waiting to see if Izzy/Gilby is playing rhythm guitar or Steven/Matt is playing drums. I would highly doubt Izzy would want to tour so I don't know if he'd just do the Coachella thing or not. Is Dizzy Reed going to be there too? There are just a lot of questions still after this type of announcement for me.

Powder
01-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Let's hope he doesn't fall victim to Turtle Power on this tour.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/08/axl-rose-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/

“The DJ was an assistant to the owner of the venue, and needless to say the owner was getting pissed. When the owner asked why Axl was being late for the thousandth time, he said: ‘Axl’s management said he was watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, and that Axl’s attention was 100% on the movie and couldn’t be bothered.'”

Leo656
01-06-2016, 10:36 PM
The best thing ever was, when I saw them in 2007, Axl was there early but the sound technicians screwed something up after Sebastian Bach's band played, and the show was delayed for an hour while they fixed it. Upon finally taking the stage Axl had a good laugh at their expense. :lol: Then they played for three hours and tore the house down. Best show ever.

This'd be too expensive for me to get to but that's neat, I guess. It's amazing what happens when people start getting old.

nickzark
01-07-2016, 05:08 AM
Can't wait to see them Play.And age doesn't matter . It is very good to see again Slash and Axl in the same stage.Come on.Before some months no one would believe that it will happen ever

Prowler
01-07-2016, 11:10 AM
From what I've gathered, GNR have always been pretty hit and miss live. When they were good they'd be great and offer a memorable experience, but when they were bad they'd lousy and Axl would just throw a fit only 3 songs in. Plus, watch some recent Guns N... Axl & co. concert videos on youtube. Some of them are quite bad. His voice isn't what it used to be.

I dunno if this can be done well. Axl had guys like Bumblefoot and Buckethead on his band recently and evently lost them. He has one last shot at glory and I'd be very surprised if he didn't blow it.

Anyway, GNR's best album was Appetite For Destruction. The rest is pretty hit and miss. I personally like their rockin' tunes but can't stand most of their ballads. They're wayyyyyy too sappy that they make me wanna gag.

I think GNR were an important band in many people's formative music years, mainly in their adolescence and young adult age brackets. Pretty much anyone who's into hard rock music has been a fan of them at soem point or another. Hell, even many metalheads I know were big GNR fans at some point in their lives. But I can't help but notice that people tend to distance themselves from GNR as they get older.

Btw, who else liked Chinese Democracy? I thought it was a pretty decent album. The thing is, it shouldn't have taken 15 years to be made. When you take 15 years to do something people naturally expect a masterpiece and not just something average or even above it.

Can't wait to see them Play.And age doesn't matter . It is very good to see again Slash and Axl in the same stage.Come on.Before some months no one would believe that it will happen ever
Huh, I'm afraid it does. Especially when it comes to a singer's voice.

The Deadman
01-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Saying age doesn't matter in music is like saying age doesn't matter when filming a movie even though you're unable to perform your own stunts like you used to...because of your age.

Prowler
01-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Saying age doesn't matter in music is like saying age doesn't matter when filming a movie even though you're unable to perform your own stunts like you used to...because of your age.
Yea it'd be a sight to see Axl jumping around like crazy like he did when he was in his 20s and not running out of breath after a couple of songs.

It depends a lot on a band's performance. Many of them do more than just singing and playing instruments. We're not talking about a person standing in front of the mic and simply singing like, let's say, Fran Sinatra did.

Not many veteran singers keep their voice as good as it was back when they were young. Bruce Dickinson from iron Maiden still has a pretty good voice, both on studio and live, but even in the last Maiden album, which came out some months ago, you can already hear some "awkward" moments, so to speak.

nickzark
01-07-2016, 03:53 PM
I would say that age doesnt matter to me ..cause even if they can not sing like old days the fact that they are together in stage is something amazing .Something you never thought that you would see ever again.And of course we must be realistic.In their age they can not play music like when they where young.But does it matter when someone sees Rolling Stones or Scorpions etc.? They still play music and perform the way they can.If someone wants to see them perform like 25 years before then sorry he will not see them.

Autbot_Benz
01-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Glad Axl's Ego finally settled down a bit so we can finally have Slash back in Guns N Roses.

The Deadman
01-07-2016, 04:43 PM
I would say that age doesnt matter to me ..cause even if they can not sing like old days the fact that they are together in stage is something amazing .Something you never thought that you would see ever again.And of course we must be realistic.In their age they can not play music like when they where young.But does it matter when someone sees Rolling Stones or Scorpions etc.? They still play music and perform the way they can.If someone wants to see them perform like 25 years before then sorry he will not see them.

If they can't "sing like the old days" then there's no reason for them to tour. If I'm going to a concert I want the performance to be good.

Leo656
01-07-2016, 10:46 PM
The only reason he ever was able to sing the way he did when he was 24 was because he completely ripped his vocal chords apart. 25 years later, people not only expect, but demand that he continue to suffer irreversible permanent damage, so they can have the pleasure of attending a concert where his voice sounds like a recorded album a much younger man recorded several decades ago.

Stay Classy, gang.

People can say whatever they want, Axl Rose is the single greatest lyricist and songwriter of the modern era and the last true "artist" of rock music. That's a fact. People can talk about his inability to work and play well with others, his obsessive attention to detail, and his myriad very legitimate mental disorders, but the fact is, like it or not, the GNR "project" was always his, and his alone, no matter who else played on that first record. And it IS a great record. It's also a snapshot of a very brief and specific time in 1987, where those five young kids were able to get along and play together. But it wasn't the first nor last lineup of people Axl assembled to work with him, and that's always been by design: Its His Band. It was always His Band, and everyone else was just an employee. That rubs some people the wrong way, but lots of bands work that way, they just don't all make a big show of it. He has an attention to detail that leads him to consistently surround himself with only the best and most diversely talented musicians he can find, which is why they've always made great music no matter who was standing behind him, but he was the driving creative force. Take away his songwriting ability and singular vision, and they were just another rock band. And you have to respect a person for making the music they want to make, writing the songs they want to write, and not compromising that for anyone, be it the record label or even the other guys in the band. GNR has always been Axl's vision; the lineup has by design always had to rotate and change in order to bring that ever-changing vision to life the way he sees it in his head. And maybe I'm alone or a minority in this, but I have a ton of respect for that.

As for the "sappy" ballads, those are the ones that mean the most to Axl personally. Seems like some people simply don't get what Axl sells as an artist. He wrote "November Rain", for example, before anything he wrote on Appetite, and it's always been his magnum opus - "Don't Cry", "November Rain" and "Estranged" altogether form something of a tragic opera, by design - and that's the stuff he always put the most work into, because he's writing about his life, the deeper and more intimate side, rather than the superficial "Loaded like a freight train..." side that's reflected in their "harder" music. I can understand people having a preference, but to be so easily dismissive of what's essentially an artist's preferred and most personal works... just doesn't sit well with me. :ohwell:

"Chinese Democracy" is a great album, it just wasn't written for the radio. It actually has the least songs I skip of ANY GNR record, somehow.

plastroncafe
01-07-2016, 11:01 PM
I saw GNR from the 10th row, center stage when they toured with Metallica and Faith No More. (Not long after Hetfield burned his hands. Kids, ask your parents)

Rose spent most of the show running off stage to bitch about one thing or another, meaning we heard most of the concert Reggae-style. It was an experience...

Can't say as I'd pay to see them live now, and not just because my ears are still ringing from the last time.

Leo656
01-07-2016, 11:26 PM
The Universe Is Balance: I was front row at the Meadowlands and it was The Greatest Night In The History of the World. :) I did think they may have gone a little overboard on the pyrotechnics, but it was a blissful spectacle all the same. I cannot say, with any certainty, that I wouldn't shoot sparklers from my own piano, as well, were I ever to own one. :trazz:

I can't stress enough how it was the best concert ever. Even the crowd was amazing all night. They lost an hour for the problems with the sound system, but even then nobody got rowdy and once they did get started Axl made sure to tell everyone they weren't going to stop playing until he felt like they were done. Longest set I've ever sat through from a headlining act. He even hit the notes, even though he couldn't hold a few of them for quite as long as he could 20 years ago. It was altogether quite amazing. I mean when I got the tickets I had no idea we were specifically front row center, but that's what we got, somehow.

My wife will testify and swear to this, that Axl and I had deliberate eye contact several times, and I'd have to ask her but he may have pointed and nodded at least once. :trazz: Between that and the time Jerry only gave me a Misfits Birthday Cake (it wasn't even my Birthday!), I have some good memories to keep me warm when I'm old.

...but it could have almost not been, as just a few days earlier GNR no-showed an event in New York and there was a mini-riot. :lol: So when the sound was out, people were definitely nervous for a few minutes, but the people at the venue were VERY clear that everyone was present and accounted for and that nothing was seriously wrong. It was my wife's Birthday, so Thank God or whoever, because I'unno if I'll ever be able to top that whole scenario.

It was good.

The Deadman
01-08-2016, 09:36 AM
The only reason he ever was able to sing the way he did when he was 24 was because he completely ripped his vocal chords apart. 25 years later, people not only expect, but demand that he continue to suffer irreversible permanent damage, so they can have the pleasure of attending a concert where his voice sounds like a recorded album a much younger man recorded several decades ago.

Stay Classy, gang.

People can say whatever they want, Axl Rose is the single greatest lyricist and songwriter of the modern era and the last true "artist" of rock music. That's a fact. People can talk about his inability to work and play well with others, his obsessive attention to detail, and his myriad very legitimate mental disorders, but the fact is, like it or not, the GNR "project" was always his, and his alone, no matter who else played on that first record. And it IS a great record. It's also a snapshot of a very brief and specific time in 1987, where those five young kids were able to get along and play together. But it wasn't the first nor last lineup of people Axl assembled to work with him, and that's always been by design: Its His Band. It was always His Band, and everyone else was just an employee. That rubs some people the wrong way, but lots of bands work that way, they just don't all make a big show of it. He has an attention to detail that leads him to consistently surround himself with only the best and most diversely talented musicians he can find, which is why they've always made great music no matter who was standing behind him, but he was the driving creative force. Take away his songwriting ability and singular vision, and they were just another rock band. And you have to respect a person for making the music they want to make, writing the songs they want to write, and not compromising that for anyone, be it the record label or even the other guys in the band. GNR has always been Axl's vision; the lineup has by design always had to rotate and change in order to bring that ever-changing vision to life the way he sees it in his head. And maybe I'm alone or a minority in this, but I have a ton of respect for that.

As for the "sappy" ballads, those are the ones that mean the most to Axl personally. Seems like some people simply don't get what Axl sells as an artist. He wrote "November Rain", for example, before anything he wrote on Appetite, and it's always been his magnum opus - "Don't Cry", "November Rain" and "Estranged" altogether form something of a tragic opera, by design - and that's the stuff he always put the most work into, because he's writing about his life, the deeper and more intimate side, rather than the superficial "Loaded like a freight train..." side that's reflected in their "harder" music. I can understand people having a preference, but to be so easily dismissive of what's essentially an artist's preferred and most personal works... just doesn't sit well with me. :ohwell:

"Chinese Democracy" is a great album, it just wasn't written for the radio. It actually has the least songs I skip of ANY GNR record, somehow.

Yeah cause when I think of the best musicians I think of people like Bumblefoot and some DJ lol

nickzark
01-08-2016, 12:28 PM
i prefer this tour to happen and be not the best than never happen in this timeline.It is the best to have something than not having it.

The Deadman
01-08-2016, 12:51 PM
i prefer this tour to happen and be not the best than never happen in this timeline.It is the best to have something than not having it.

No....it's really not. What kind of logic is that?

nickzark
01-08-2016, 02:42 PM
can not explain it in proper way.my English are not strong. I mean that for example if someone told me that a) i can see a band i love again live but it will be not the best performance or b) i will see them not again live and remember them only i would prefer the a) solution.Of course who knows.Maybe their performance will be very good

Leo656
01-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Yeah cause when I think of the best musicians I think of people like Bumblefoot and some DJ lol

You can do better? Who'd you ever beat, jabroni?

Walkabout
01-12-2016, 02:34 AM
Aww ****, Leo's a DJ Slashba loving, Axl fanboy!

:lol:

Seriously though, it's about f%#ing time.
Should have called it quits on the Axl's GNR thing when Buckethead and then Finck finally quit.

As good (and in Ashba's case, pathetic) musicians Axl has hired to be GNR none of them can play the classic stuff (the songs people go to hear) like Slash.

Leo656
01-12-2016, 11:19 PM
I'm definitely in disagreement that any one of us gets an opinion on what type of art any artist makes, and when they should stop making it. I find that to be extremely selfish and entitled thinking on the part of "fans".

It's their art. We pay to enjoy it, but we don't own it.

Walkabout
01-13-2016, 02:21 AM
I'm definitely in disagreement that any one of us gets an opinion on what type of art any artist makes, and when they should stop making it. I find that to be extremely selfish and entitled thinking on the part of "fans".

It's their art. We pay to enjoy it, but we don't own it.

Yeah in Axl's case I think fans are desperate for him to actually make (well, release) some more art instead of touring the greatest hits show every couple of years with a band that for the most part has absolutely nothing to do with writing any of the music...unless we count Dizzy from the glory days and Tommy Stinson and the dodgy bloke that plays synths and tambourine as people responsible for Chinese Democracy.

AT-Man
01-13-2016, 04:46 AM
My favorite GnR song is Street of Dreams. I eventually got tired of Sweet Child and so on, but not SoD.

TonySiegel
04-21-2016, 04:37 PM
gonna try to see them for sure

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-29-2016, 11:37 AM
My favorite GnR song is Street of Dreams. I eventually got tired of Sweet Child and so on, but not SoD.

They sing Knock Knock Knocking on Heaven's Door better than Bob Dylan.